So it's been about a month of Giant Bomb on Lockdown - what does everyone think?

• 125 results
plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My wife and I have been enjoying a lot of it. Especially clue crew(the Nancy Drew games kinda rule). We would love if Abby and others to do an entire adventure game series. Tap into the weird 90s games like The Adventures of Willy Beamish. If they can somehow get them to run on modern hardware and capture the video. Also burnout paradise city would be great if the crew played it.

But I think they should scale it back a bit and have a bit more down time for the everyone. Having worked from home for most of this time(when I wasn’t furlouged) doing stuff remotely adds resistance to really minor tasks. Suddenly getting checks signed takes the same amount of effort as scheduling a conference call. It is burning everyone at my office out through a death of 1000 cuts. Doing all these live streams must be murder on a whole different scale.

But the crew as a whole has been a centerpiece of our pandemic entertainment. Both my wife(who does admin work for elder care) and I have no interest in any TV shows or movies that have more emotional weight than say Avatar the Las Airbender. Even the average Disney or Marvel movie it so high on the feels for us right now. So idiocy that is the Minecraft stream and Jeff playing Mario Special is exactly the speed we are at right now.

This is longer than I intended, but GB has been an invaluable source of joy in this shitty, stressful time. When I wasn’t working for a month, we canceled a all of our subscriptions, but not Giant Bomb. But why have the internet if you can’t watch Giant Bomb?

Arcitee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

They are doing it a hell of a lot better than mainstream TV / media.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By bybeach

My appreciation to Jan also to getting me back into Bloodborne! Also my curses for encouraging me to play that emotionally crippling highly depressing sog of a well realized living nightmare. The very reason I quit before! (Well, I kind of gave up also. But it's just the Dark Souls games seem to have a different energy or atmosphere for me. However, I did some reading about Blood Borne that gave me some decent insight into what all was happening, and why. At least I now know the nature of the beast.)

Goes to window of little girl, hoping to save her. 'Push X.' 'No response.' Five more times the same thing...

Also;

As for the recent events of a week ago, and staff starting to feel pushed out of shape and overworked, I'd say slow down. You have been an excellent site by my experience. In the main.

Time to step back if the machinery and/or distractions of the day are trying to take over. Loosing you (all) to stress, personal regrets and overwork, on a selfish level for me, would be like working to death the goose who lays the golden eggs...

And though it is one sided, this site has been both a good Companion, and a Refuge from the Real and online worlds.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach: If you're interested in bloodborne's lore, a youtuber named vaatividya has a great series on the game that explains much of the lore.

Loading Video...

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Diamond_Lime

I'd prefer it if they'd double up in the videos more often, I find the solo stuff pretty flat.

I think they could benefit from mixing things up aswell, change host every now and then, not permanently, but just throw something in to keep things from getting too stale.

Maybe they could try doing a book club thing, but with older games instead of books?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f13bfe580e44
deactivated-5f13bfe580e44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Opens website.

Three more Minecraft videos and 8 hours of Alex drumming? Yikes.

Closes website.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jan's has kinda risen to become a real superstar, I highly look forward to anything he does, the Minecraft videos are perfect background videos to have on while doing something else. and the Astroneer videos with one of the best video duos Vinny and Brad are a delight.

And as a old fan, having the hotspot back in some form and having it be specifically pieces of the old hotspot cast is great.

Other than that, everything's fine, GB and Dan Ryckert's twitch streams are big parts of my lockdown entertainment so I can't be too critical of everything, but this has been my favorite stuff.

But give Vinny a vacation, this week beastcast really seems like he's super stressed out.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58  Edited By Nodima

@bybeach: If you're interested in bloodborne's lore, a youtuber named vaatividya has a great series on the game that explains much of the lore.

Loading Video...

And if you're really interested in the lore, Aegon of Astora has a thirty (!) part Let's Talk Lore series that doubles as a Let's Play and explores the meaning behind every item, locates representations of most of them in the art, digs through every nook of the chalice dungeons, and winds up ballooning from pretty simple, hour-long affairs to 2- and 3-hour long deepest of dives. It was super relaxing background music for me a couple summers ago and is maybe the most exhaustive "research project" I've ever seen somebody commit to with regards to a single game.

Loading Video...

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By bybeach

@acura_max and@nodima......

DAMN!

I can't tell, I think I watched the first video, or something like, as I told Acura. But thirty segments? Depressingly, I already missed the blood improvement of Iosefka clinic (I can't believe I did that) Right now I am in old Yharnum, having fought my way through the lower levels for the ritual blood, and wanting to take out that asshole w/ the machine gun. I'm starting to lean on a wiki a little because of my screw-ups.

I have become impressed with the lore(as context/world setting), and resultantly, the Story and it's implications, behind Miyazaki's Bloodborne. Sometimes wishing is much better than having...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Satisfactory is a good way to put it, the podcasts are as good as ever, there's some good friendly chat on The Hotspot though 3 podcasts are quite a lot to get through, i miss UPF being a sort of end of week roundup and general mess around and i don't really watch most of the extended plays of random games.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solo streams, the same games day in day out. I am only keeping my subscription till the day it tuns out, I’ll download the good old premium videos and store them on a big drive. This is a great dissapointment for me as well, I have been here for all these years since beginning but since the last redesign of the website it’s worse every month.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ToughShed

It's been almost all solo streams lately so I have been watching less GB than I ever have in its history, sadly. As I mentioned in another post, I would gladly take less than half the video output if it was like all the GB content in the sites history before lock down. I know its work to get group streams and pre recorded stuff up right now but it can be done and it's worth it. That's what GB has always been.

Ascara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I've not been interested in too much of the content lately, I've been catching up on Mass Alex, and beyond that I watched the Trackmania video.

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sad they are not reviewing games anymore, at least highlighted games like tlou 2, final fantasy and …

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My favourite part of their lockdown content is watching Jeff's stream overlay slowly consume the entire screen.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@popeye11 said:

sad they are not reviewing games anymore, at least highlighted games like tlou 2, final fantasy and …

GB hasn't been a review site in....half a dozen years?

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Personally I really can’t watch the same game being played for weeks on end. Jeff has the best solo stream because he still tries a variety of games. The podcasts and the return of the HotSpot are primarily what I tune in for now.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By htr10

I’ve really enjoyed a ton of the content. Minecraft group streams, Ben getting ready for Evo and before that playing Fallout, Jason playing Maneater and a ton of other stuff, Alex’s Fire Pro videos, Rorie’s Spelunky streams, Vinny and Brad playing Astroneer, Jeff’s random solo stuff, and Abby and Jan each with their running series videos. Bakalar’s pinball streams have been a real pleasant surprise too.

I’ve wondered if the current setup will be how things are for the rest of 2020.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@sombre said:
@popeye11 said:

GB hasn't been a review site in....half a dozen years?

I mean they still do write reviews. It's kind of weird because they never swore them off but it happens so infrequently that it's always a big surprise when they suddenly decide to do one for whatever reason.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#70  Edited By csl316

For those that know better, is this what Twitch streaming is? All about making as much content as possible?

I've always come to GB for a video after work, and a live stream or two during the week. I guess I'm just too old to understand this style. Why make 8 hours of content if your audience can only catch an hour or two a day? Do people actually consume all 8 hours? Is it all about interacting live? (this aspect is completely lost with VOD)

It feels like the community is just going to get more fragmented. You got the live folks, then you have the VOD folks that gravitate towards their preferred streamer. GB always felt like directing its community towards the video of the day, a sort of shared experience because we all watched the Cargo QL, for example. The Best Of videos seem more important than ever, but getting 40 hours of content into 15 minutes is an odd concept.

I dunno. Like I said, I'm old. I used to catch a ton of videos, now I watch like one or two a week as solo streams lose the banter I'm here for. After being here a decade it just feels strange. I was cool with the change due to Covid as it seemed like this workflow worked for them, but now that it's clear that the team is burning out, why continue with this direction?

The team's always been fairly transparent, so I'm confused as to why they don't appear to be listening to feedback or really talking about their content philosophy. I get it, it's a stressful time, I'm working differently during the pandemic, too. And hell, what I want out of content would actually require less on screen time from them. But at this point it feels like this all day streaming idea isn't sustainable.

ahifi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To those wondering what they do all day, I guess the average week would look something like this right now:

• 8 hours being on-camera/streaming/podcasting
  • 2 hours of prepping streams and checking equipment/doing tests,
  • 2 hours of 'coming down' from a stream,
  • 8 hours of production work/meetings and editing/uploading,
  • 5 hours researching new games and keeping up on the industry,
  • 5 hours checking/responding to emails and dealing with CBS-related stuff (for some staff I imagine you would multiply these hours by two or more),
  • 5 hours for oddjobs (playing games to certain points to avoid spoilers, being on stand-by for another person in case of emergency/malfunction, etc.)
  • 5 hours for lunch/break

Total = 40 hours/week

Obviously that will vary from person-to-person (Rorie's schedule being a clear outlier from this, for example) but I imagine it kinda resembles something like this - even if the hours are all muddled up and it's all based on nothing but guesswork.

Then you've gotta factor in when personal interest and work interest intersects. To most of the staff, gaming is their primary hobby; to some of the staff, it's a secondary hobby. Nevertheless, it's a hobby - some of it is stuff they'd do in their own time. So work spills out into the personal life - and that's the case sans lockdown. Now it's doubly spilling over (as Vinny was referring to on that past Beastcast) and that makes work even more invasive.

I know most of us realise there is a work life beyond the camera and stream but breaking it down like this can be helpful in visualising what it might (again, might) look like and how it can totally be a 9-5 (and beyond) thing.

I think many of us see Twitch streamers and go: 'well, they're on all-day, all the time - how come they manage?' By not editorialising as much, by mostly being solo streamers that don't need to navigate other schedules, but not being tied to a corporate entity, by being 'freelance', by blurring the lines between work and personal life, by not really keeping up with the industry but just playing whatever their viewers suggest, by not considering whether or not they are playing something 'problematic', by not worrying about stepping on other people's toes when it comes to what games they play, by not worrying about embargos, etc. It all adds up. And you'll note that when a streamer gets big, they do start to slow down because they start getting weighed down by everything - such as emails, corporate sponsorship, co-streaming - and because, quite simply, they don't need to stream all day, every day.

So, yeah, I don't need the staff to do more for my money - they are doing a fine job. I would like a wider variety of games, some more quick looks (loads of indie games out there still being made) and some more multiplayer hijinks - but those things take more time to put together and research so I understand that this isn't as easy as it sounds. We always want something more but it's okay to stop and appreciate what you get too.

Oh, and I'm so, so far behind watching stuff. I check out the live stuff that interests me the most (usually the multiplayer streams) and is relevant to a week (i.e. the podcasts and quick looks) and commit to watching the rest when I've got time. I've went from keeping up with everything before lockdown to now being way back on page 7 of the videos section... Honestly, they could stream LESS and I'd be happier. I know they felt like they had a duty to occupy people at first but I'm totally okay with them taking their collective foot off the gas a bit if it helps them feel better (and helps people like me catch up!)

wheelhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall I've found myself watching more GB content during lockdown than prior to it - but they've been putting out more content.

I find the solo streaming, for the most part, incredibly dull. But that depends on the game. Jan's Bloodborne streams are great, and Jeff will play something interesting to me occasionally (though I personally can't stand the overlay he's using). But mostly I find that solo streams are just...uninteresting. Most of the personalities just don't really seem very entertaining alone (as, for me, most streamers as well). I would put Jan, Vinny and Jeff as the only ones that seem like they can carry a 2 hour stream alone and keep it interesting. And maybe Ben.

Games that have stood out for me are Bloodborne, Astroneering, Minecraft and the Sea of Thieves (I'd like more) videos. And the Quest for St. Vincent. Glad they are still doing Mass Alex (though it's 3 and I don't have fond memories of that game, so I'm behind a few episodes). The trucking videos are not at all interesting to me, but the one where Vinny joined was entertaining. I'd watch Alex play more Civ, but not drum or drive more trucks. I wish Rorie talked slower and finished his thoughts, because I generally am interested in the games he plays, but I'm finding his speech patterns distracting in pretty much everything he's in.

There's a lot of stuff they are putting out that I have zero interest in (as it was before Lockdown), but I'm sure others enjoy those videos.

Basically - anything with Vinny is a watch. Jan and Bloodborne is a watch. Any group thing with Vinny, Jan and/or Jeff is a watch. Well any group video, really. Anything solo is most likely NOT a watch (game dependent, though).

Casse1berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Casse1berry

I'll keep it short and sweet. The only thing keeping me interested right now are the podcasts. Im just not interested in most of the games the GB Crew has latched on to. More variety would be nice. I know things aren't that easy, just throwing my thoughts out there. Keep being awesome.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ToughShed

@csl316 said:

I dunno. Like I said, I'm old. I used to catch a ton of videos, now I watch like one or two a week as solo streams lose the banter I'm here for. After being here a decade it just feels strange. I was cool with the change due to Covid as it seemed like this workflow worked for them, but now that it's clear that the team is burning out, why continue with this direction?

The team's always been fairly transparent, so I'm confused as to why they don't appear to be listening to feedback or really talking about their content philosophy. I get it, it's a stressful time, I'm working differently during the pandemic, too. And hell, what I want out of content would actually require less on screen time from them. But at this point it feels like this all day streaming idea isn't sustainable.

Very well put man. I could not agree more.

I feel like I'm just repeating myself but I again and again and I don't like to bitch but I for sure think they could do much less output a week but in the old style and things would be much better for everyone. I really don't get why all the sudden they have this fill the whole day with streams mentality. And why all the sudden there's no care for multi person streams and that kind of banter that MADE Giant Bomb. That's basically all the site is and has been before is personalities interacting over games! and all the sudden its all out the window.

But GB has always been hostile to feedback.

This set up is going to continue until the end of the year (on Jeff's tumblr he said so). I worry about the future of the site with some CBS exec wondering why they are paying people to do twitch streams.

@ahifi: Just to be clear, I don't think they aren't working in a given day or something. Again, I think doing old GB stuff, even if its not easy to wrangle a multi person set up, is less work than trying to fill 8 plus hours a day overall and would be better for everyone.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By north6

The only sort of solo streamer I've ever been interested in is someone who can speak with some detail about the game they're playing, which has never been a thing GB does super well. Barring that, I have to be way into the game, and the only thing played right now that fits the bill is Bloodborne, and my heart will always be with epicnamebro, Vinny / Brad combo. GB has always been at their best with a small group. These days I mostly just listen to beastcast, but as others have mentioned they've been getting pretty rough lately too. Glad everyone is staying busy though!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toughshed: Til the end of the year? Wow.

Jeff's always been pretty forward-thinking with stuff he's involved in, leading to pivots in content as the landscape changes. Having a firm commitment to this setup for at least 6 more months doesn't feel like the pioneering, quick-shifting Jeff I know.

Maybe it works and is bringing in new audiences. I'm not sure why some random kid on Twitch would pick Jan's Bloodborne stream over a thousand others, though. Unless GB has bigger brand recognition than it appears.

Fistoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By Fistoh

I would like to thank each member of the team for really working their damn hearts out providing entertainment for us all. Not everything is exactly my cup of tea but good lord their jobs have been made orders of magnitude harder, from both the production standpoint and performance standpoint.

Solo streams in general have always been hit or miss for me, but Jeff, Ben, Jason, Abby, and Jan each have been doing great and I could not be more grateful for it all being there to pass the time with. I loved Ben's Evo training streams back when that was happening, I hope we get more fighting game streams from him, I'd love to see him keep at TFH. The Astroneer streams have been so much fun and the Minecraft streams are a highlight of my week.

Listening to Vinny on the most recent beastcast really opened my eyes to how much all of them have been doing to keep up content production and how much of a toll that must be taking on all of them on top of...everything else happening, they all deserve a vacation where they can play games in peace without the peanut gallery.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ToughShed

@csl316: The fill all day thing made a lot of sense when things first started because people were sitting around as a new thing and kind of an opportunity for GB to step in for people with some long streams like they have done in the past on Holidays and different times. But things have continued on for a while now and seem like they will keep doing so. I also don't see what makes it stand out compared to streaming and as I said, GB has always been about the group.

I also think little things like live video podcasts probably add up for them. They are more work, from all the technical aspects to even taking the time to prepare to be on video. I'm not asking for any of that myself and I still just listen to the podcast. I'm sure some people tune into that stuff and it does fine for them but turns out all those fans would also just listen to the podcast.

I would be happy with a low level of the old style of GB output (1 or 2 videos/features or podcasts a weekday) and think all the GB guys would be saner as well. When you hear them on the podcasts they have hardly played anything for fun at all, only stream games and the big game coming up for coverage.

They sound burnt out. I hope they make some changes.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@csl316 said:

For those that know better, is this what Twitch streaming is? All about making as much content as possible?

I've always come to GB for a video after work, and a live stream or two during the week. I guess I'm just too old to understand this style. Why make 8 hours of content if your audience can only catch an hour or two a day? Do people actually consume all 8 hours? Is it all about interacting live? (this aspect is completely lost with VOD)

To answer your first question, yeah that's pretty much Twitch. In a nutshell:

Based on what I can recall from a talk I watched, for the Twitch streamers that use Twitch as a primary source of income, they try to stream in the same approximate "time slot"/start time, and stream let's say something like 4-8 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. A lot of them do this, though I wouldn't say it's necessary/effective: a lot of Twitch streamers probably overwork themselves thinking that the quantity of content they make causes more viewers and more income, but I think this isn't usually true. Sure, an 8 hour stream might gather slightly more random donations or slightly more new viewers who wander in, but the difference between a 4- and 8-hour-per-day stream is probably negligible. It's more important that they keep a consistent schedule and then just have some quality that sets them apart from others on the Twitch platform, whether that's skill or personality or whatever. And then when you reach a certain critical mass, much like a Youtuber, you can start just collaborating with other successful people on the platform and gain some viewership from that crossover exposure. Nonetheless, I think a culture persists of streamers thinking they have to log a zillion hours each month to grow their audience.

To wrap up on my own personal viewing habits of Twitch, yeah, it's all but impossible to actually watch all of the VODs of any streamer. I think people come and go during livestreams, so no, the average user isn't watching everything a streamer does live, nor do they watch the VODs. The sheer hours per week is equivalent to a part time job or more. I've occasionally gone back to watch a string of VODs that are a playthrough of a particular game, but that's about it. I think few people watch Twitch VODs, and mostly just tune in live to watch a particular personality they like, or if they hear about a memorable stream they missed they watch short clips of the memorable moments (similar to Giant Bomb Best Of).

All that being said, I assume little of Twitch applies to Giant Bomb. No idea of the specifics of their business model, but as you've outlined, the viewing habits of Giant Bomb users can't be similar to Twitch users, because up until March nothing about GB operated like a Twitch channel. They dabbled in doing a few streams a week, but GB was more like a Youtube channel that put up a couple prerecorded videos per day. I could understood the first few weeks of March and April when they were caught off-guard by working from home, and kudos to a lot of them for adapting and buying home recording setups and streaming their hearts out. But I truly don't understand why this "pass the baton so that we stream everything all day" style of presentation has persisted. Their desk job work flow seems pretty easy to replicate at home after an adjustment period, with the exception of I guess Vinny, Jeff, and Jason who have children at home to manage. I'm still confused about why they haven't drifted back to their original work flow. I still think Quick Looks and Unfinisheds are way down in the past couple months, because so much staff time is consume by solo streaming or multiplayer streaming in its place.

If I wanted to just chill in a live chat with single internet personality as they talk to themselves/chat, Twitch already exists. But no matter how entertaining Twitch streamers are, the drawback is that most of them are kinda young idiots relative to game journalists. They specialize in one game or at best a genre of games, but they're woefully ignorant of most topics in the gaming sphere outside of their narrow scope. Twitch is more about personality than information, and I accept it for that. Giant Bomb, and other game journalism outlets, tend to have the advantage that they're actually very knowledgeable about a lot of the gaming sphere. GB has lots of personality, but I consider that still kinda secondary to their editorial priorities of "cover new video games."

So for example, I respect Alex's opinion more than the average Twitch streamer, and his GB streams are kinda fun to hang out in, but it seems a waste of Alex's experience to just have him log hours and hours of on-stream trucking and drumming each week, talking to himself/chat. Like, it fills the time I guess, and creates a VOD that surely almost no one ever watches because they're kinda all the same (does anyone watch the entire VOD of Alex streaming 24 hours for Extra Life?). But I'd be happier with the site if he stopped doing them entirely and I dunno, did 1-3 more Quick Looks/Unfinished each week of lesser known games while on a discord call with Abby or Ben or whoever the fuck is free. I really don't come to Giant Bomb to watch people talk to themselves as they play the same game week after week after week. That's Twitch.

Giant Bomb has a history of dialogue between its staff; solo video content is an incredibly small minority of GB's work in the past 10+ years (prior to the pandemic). It seems like a waste of their experience and strengths that in the past few months, the amount of time spent on solo streams is so high.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Thanks for the explanation. The Twitch world is something I'm not familiar with at all.

I remember hearing some streamers say they lose a bunch of viewers if they take a day off. So maybe they feel like every hour not streaming leads to lost audience. But forcing yourself to stream doesn't seem like it leads to relaxed, natural content. But if you don't stream for hours, someone else will.

In short, seems like making it on Twitch is a nightmare.

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Number of videos put out each month this year (according to search):

month#vids
January39
February52
March69
April109
May122
June111

For comparison's sake, April 2019: 64 videos, May 2019: 65 videos.

Holy carp, slow down please.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By colourful_hippie

Not a fan of everything turning into Twitch or of the games they've chosen to be their mains. The only things I've watched have been all the Mass Alexs and that one Mario Maker stream from a month ago. It bums me out but for obvious reasons I can't completely hold this all against them because there's a global pandemic still raging....so yeah.

EDIT: Should have mentioned the podcasts, especially the Hotspot, have been the only things I've consistently tuned in for.

zinkn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's getting worse and worse.

ak1mbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I've been watching old content I missed. More and more, the daily streams seem like a chore for the cast, and I don't like watching people straining through the work day. Further, the solo streams are just...boring. I think they should cut the content by around 40%, everyone seems overworked and over stressed, and that just doesn't make for good content.

bakedpony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn I just realized lockdown is the perfect situation for a Persona 5 endurance run. They can record maybe twice a week chopped up into 5 episodes.

Will never happen but it is a nice thought.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Teoball

Yeah, I don't watch much anymore. The Hotspot is the only thing I watch consistenly these days.
I've been watching more GB infinite even when there's a stream going. I think that says something.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By north6

@csl316 said:

@toughshed: Til the end of the year? Wow.

Jeff's always been pretty forward-thinking with stuff he's involved in, leading to pivots in content as the landscape changes. Having a firm commitment to this setup for at least 6 more months doesn't feel like the pioneering, quick-shifting Jeff I know.

Eh, that's true on aggregate, but the only thing I can really think of where this applies over the last 5 or 6 years is GBInfinite, and that's by nature very niche. I mean I personally loved the metal gear scanlon series more than is healthy, but I couldn't say the landscape really shifted around it. If the site had gone further in this direction, that would be another story.

The things that usually spur innovation are encouraging pet projects with passion. Dan (especially), Drew, and Austin were good at this, coming at gaming from wildly different angles, but it usually felt like they were the only one driving the site in really interesting directions over the last several years. Not saying certain content is "good" or "bad", but it takes a hecka lot of against the grain thinking to get out of a rut.

Cravsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a lot. I keep up with the podcasts (hotspot is a big plus out of this), some streams (Abby playing the Sims and Jan's Bloodborne stuff [until I fell behind] and Minecraft is perfect for background noise/lazy watching) but I find myself passing on way more stuff than if they were just recording the usual stuff in the studios and putting that out. The fact that this allows for more cross coast stuff is rad but I guess it's just...different.

I still enjoy everyone's contributions and I'm glad they're still able to keep working through this but it does seem very full on, both for them and us. If that's in part due to the way twitch is set up then I get that, but eh.

+1 to the idea of Vinny getting a break and I suspect he probably isn't the only one that needs one. It must be way more draining working on the schedule they do now - I can imagine everyone will be happier when they can return to the offices, but I'm overall happy that I can still get gb content throughout this and I enjoy pretty much anything I do watch.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By kedi2

Similar to what some others have said, I don't care for solo content and find it quite boring when there isn't a partner or group for the staff to riff off of. For me, those dynamics are what make Giant Bomb special and set them aside from the rest. Getting rid of that has essentially made them no different than any other Twitch streamer. I recognize that a lot of people like the solo Twitch streamer format, so more power to you, it's unfortunately not for me, though.

Further, I'm not a fan of crafting/survival games, so two of the major sources of group content involve games that I find bland to watch (Astroneer and Minecraft). I'm fine with continued series involving playing one specific game, but they've seem to have gravitated toward "forever" games, and games that are structured to be played forever are generally not my cup of tea. Conversely, I enjoyed the Dead Space playthrough and Clue Crew episodes (although after going through that many Nancy Drew games so quickly, it was probably for the best that they seemed to have put that series on hiatus for a little bit). Both of those series involve fairly concise games where there's always a definitive end goal in sight (i.e., finishing the game), so I like continuing to watch their progress through the game, and then when they're finished, there's excitement about what they choose to play next. On the other hand, with games like Astroneer and Minecraft, there's kind of a "I hope you like this game because there's no clear end in sight" vibe that doesn't appeal to my tastes, and sticking with those games creates a lack of diversity in content. Obviously, those are popular and successful games, so I realize many people will be totally into it, and that's great, I just wish for the little group content that is being put out there was more diversity.

All that said, I want to say that I greatly appreciate what the crew is doing by providing entertainment during this really weird situation. Everything I said was meant to be constructive and I'm not trying to attack anyone. Still though, as a consumer I can't say that I'm not more than little disappointed with the current direction of the content. GB has been putting out the most amount of content they've ever done, I've had the most free time I've had in a long time, and yet, I'm easily watching the least amount of GB I've ever watched. At this point it's really just Mass Alex and the podcasts that I've been watching/listening to (which have been great by the way). I'll echo the sentiment that others have put forth in that I would gratefully take a large reduction in the quantity of content if it meant that more content with the crew as a group or partnered up was possible.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a lot of folks would prefer different content from solo streams, but there are a lot of logistical issues around multi person streams. On the Brad and Will tech pod this week they were discussing IPSs and shitty upload rates being a major problem for video production at home. Jan recently upgraded to more powerful internet, but the rest of the crew have some pretty limited consumer grade internet with garbage upload rates. Some of the stuff might not be possible from home.

As for the stress, they should all take some time. But as someone who had been doing the at home thing for a while, even time off doesn't fix the problem that working from home is a slog every day.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A lot of the staff, I have absolutely ZERO desire to watch them solo stream

CosmicBIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find the solo streaming incredibly dull and definitely miss the group videos. but to be honest, I haven't watched much in the last month as nothing has caught my eye and it just feels like a low-quality twitch stream and there is no shortage of that.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised to see how many of us aren't really into the current style.

I will say that I do appreciate them doing the best they can under the circumstances. As someone stated above, them leveraging their experience is what sets GB apart, which is why the semi-structured game chat on The Hotspot is some of the best shit they've done all year.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like a lot of the stuff but I think certain extended series have run their course. I’d prefer to see a few newer series take the place of current ones that started near the beginning of quarantine.

Would be nice if I could look at past streams more easily and filter by staff member. Wasn’t an issue before quarantine, but there’s too much content to even keep in memory. I will tune into a stream and not even realize I missed the last episode or two.

Part of it might be me being busier, but yeah there’s just so much content. Maybe if the solo streamers could play a few games alternating rather than one or two it would prevent people getting stuck in the backlog and would revitalize both the streamer and viewers.

Or even just cut back by like 40% like someone said and do more pre-recorded group videos that are more planned out. Would give the staff a break and the content would be better.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I empathize with the bizarre position they are in currently. Given the pandemic, I think they are doing well. Solo streaming requires a skill set that a lot of folks don’t have and given that I think they are doing the best they can. I’d imagine it’s weird making videos where you can interact with someone else then suddenly going solo.

But, honestly, even before the pandemic the only videos I liked were the videos with the east coast team, as a group.

Tanstaafl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally understand the situation means things need to be done a little different.
That said I'm not really a fan of any of the solo content, It just doesn't work as well as the great interactions we get between everyone.

I don't mind if the audio quality goes down or if they occasionally step on each other because of audio delay, the back and forth ends up far more interesting then any one persons monologue.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By whitegreyblack

Whether or not I like the content is secondary right now, in my mind, to my major concerns of staff burnout leading to turnover. From Vinny's talk of major burnout to Alex questioning over the past few weeks (in regards to the terrible allegations coming out around the industry) about whether he even wants to be involved in this industry... I wonder what GB will look like 6-18 months from now.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ahifi said:

To those wondering what they do all day, I guess the average week would look something like this right now:

• 8 hours being on-camera/streaming/podcasting
  • 2 hours of prepping streams and checking equipment/doing tests,
  • 2 hours of 'coming down' from a stream,
  • 8 hours of production work/meetings and editing/uploading,
  • 5 hours researching new games and keeping up on the industry,
  • 5 hours checking/responding to emails and dealing with CBS-related stuff (for some staff I imagine you would multiply these hours by two or more),
  • 5 hours for oddjobs (playing games to certain points to avoid spoilers, being on stand-by for another person in case of emergency/malfunction, etc.)
  • 5 hours for lunch/break

Total = 40 hours/week

In what world is 'coming down', 'lunch/break', 'being stand-by' part of a work hours....

They're just not the hardest workers, nor do they have a hard job. And that's fine! But let's not pretend something else. :) I'd estimate they do about 20 hours real work per week and the other 20 they will feel like they're working, but nothing is actually being done. It's all normal stuff when you're no longer in start-up mode.

It was obviously a troll post duder, you don't need to punch holes in it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#100  Edited By BisonHero

@nicolasvh: I’ll be the first to admit that salaried office jobs don’t tend to produce exactly 40 hours of “productive working hours” each week, but it seems unnecessary to say their job isn’t hard and GB staff aren’t the hardest workers. Sorry they’re not clocking in and out at the coal mine each day, but they can still be hard workers despite that.