So this has been bugging me/A plea to Brad and Patrick

  • 136 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for vinsanityv22
vinsanityv22

1066

Forum Posts

6

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vinsanityv22

Anyone see the Painkiller HD Quick Look? *sigh*

Look, I love the GB crew. But Patrick and Brad get on my nerves sometimes. Brad... he just needs to familiarize himself with games a WHOLE lot more before leading a Quick Look on them. Patrick; he's a fine journalist. A lot of the features he does for the site are eye opening and compelling. But he's a terrible REVIEWER. Whatever seems to be the general opinion of a game on the internet is his opinion, automatically. All the time. He does for Sonic games. And he did it for Painkiller. It's obviously not coming from personal experience - why must it be restated as fact?

What I'm talking about, specifically, is his claim that Painkiller and Serious Sam are basically modern day Doom.

I wish, desperately, that you guys would go back and actually play Doom. Or one of the mods for it (might I suggest Brutal Doom?).

I know it's the cliche, lazy internet thing to do, but comparing Painkiller and Serious Sam to Doom is just insulting Doom. They're completely mindless games; the Dynasty Warriors of shooters. I'm not saying they're not fun - I'm just saying, Doom did a lot more. And you guys should give credit to it instead of regurgitating the internet opinion that these new, dumb shooters are just like Doom.

I mean c'mon. Doom may have been "Go from point A to point B", but it didn't mindlessly throw enemies at you. It was as much about exploring Phobos as it was about battling the demons of Hell. Those levels were not linear, they weren't mere arenas to trap the player in. They had a really effective sense of place. They were loaded with secrets. You weren't just blazing through levels; you were looking for everything. And those environments were so effective, I bet you STILL know which wall hides the Chainsaw is in the first couple of levels.

Shooters today... their level designs are dogshit. Not just this "lock you in an arena until you kill x swarms of bad guys" stuff from Painkiller and Serious Sam, but also the "We're just a linear theme park attraction"-kind of crap from Call of Battlefield: Warfighter. Games from the 90's were FAR more ambitious; they really tried to establish these locales as places. There were way less invisible walls; there were tons of corridors and room and the way they were connected MADE SENSE. Make fun of color coded key cards all you want, but compare those levels to MOH: Warfighter and all of sudden, key cards look pretty awesome. It's astounding how backwards shooter design has gone.

Seriously, Patrick, Brad - I'm BEGGING you. Go back and play some older shooters. They're better than most modern shooters. They deserve more credit from you. Do another couple Quick Look throwbacks, like you did for Deus Ex.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

36563

Forum Posts

59080

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@vinsanityv22 said:

the "We're just a linear theme park attraction"-kind of crap from Call of Battlefield: Warfighter.

Mainly because shooters from the 90s largely consisted of wondering just where the hell you were or where you were supposed to go.

Avatar image for leafhouse
leafhouse

194

Forum Posts

316

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By leafhouse

Telling Brad to play more Doom? Really?

The guys play an insane amount of games at all times, asking them to check out more is as pointless as creating a thread to complain about staff members.

Avatar image for fredchuckdave
Fredchuckdave

10824

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Painkiller is a modern version of Doom, hate to break it to you bud. I guess if Painkiller had color coded key cards you'd like it more? Or if you automatically aimed everything?

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

902

Forum Posts

697

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

Oh, yeah. All of those "effective environments" from Doom are truly its best selling point.

Avatar image for musubi
Musubi

17502

Forum Posts

5650

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Musubi

I'm sorry but Doom had some really bullshit level design in the later chapters. Running around for 40 minutes because you didn't see the switch you needed to flip because it looks like every other wall texture in the room isn't clever its just infuriating and stupid. If anything I think people give Doom a bit too much credit at times. Its a fun game and there are parts of it I enjoy but the level design is absolutely NOT one of them.

Avatar image for doobie
doobie

612

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By doobie

please GB crew. never become gaming snobs like this guy.

Avatar image for sooty
Sooty

8193

Forum Posts

306

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

"Journalist"

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

2076

Forum Posts

13

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I mean, I love Doom - a lot - but if you think it's anything more than a gigantic monster closet then you are kind of delusional. The key cards are just an excuse for 'exploration' and do nothing more than lengthen annoying sections of both games and give you an illusion of something bigger than is actually there. They had an effective sense of pace because, from what I recall, those games were going about 100 mph and the only thing stopping you from getting from point A to B was an assload of demons.

Sounds like Painkiller to me.

EDIT: Oh, and I did forget those awesome 'look for the switch' sections. Those were fucking mind-bogglingly effective at maintaining the breakneck speed. Truly modern game design.

Avatar image for jakob187
jakob187

22962

Forum Posts

10045

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

@vinsanityv22: Here's the thing: the guys at People Can Fly...while developing Painkiller...specifically mentioned themselves as being heavily inspired by Doom. The same goes for the guys at Croteam when they were working on the original Serious Sam games. Eventually, the mentality of "swarm FPS games" was created about Painkiller and Serious Sam and thus became its own sub-genre.

Therefore, when someone says "they are modern day Doom", I can say "well, technically, they are a bit different than Doom...but they are kind of right".

Avatar image for icemo
Icemo

716

Forum Posts

2

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Icemo

@vinsanityv22 said:

Shooters today... their level designs are dogshit. Not just this "lock you in an arena until you kill x swarms of bad guys" stuff from Painkiller and Serious Sam

Umm, have you even played doom yourself? Doom is full of rooms where you have to fight a lot of enemies until you can progress further. And they say that painkiller is the modern day doom because of similar setting and mindless enemies with stupid AI.

Avatar image for bisonhero
BisonHero

12345

Forum Posts

625

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BisonHero

I do the same thing Patrick does, but A) I recognize it, and B) I don't sit in on Quick Looks where I add little aside from regurgitating general Internet consensus on a game or series. I don't find Patrick annoying like the haters, but it doesn't feel like he's bringing the wealth of knowledge or any personal opinions to a QL like the other staff members; unless he has some unique factoid he picked up while researching a story, he basically just gives opinions I'm already familiar with from spending a few hours reading gaming sites each day. Maybe it's an age thing, since he's been in the business like a decade less than everyone else. Still, I agree that he seems content to just reiterate consensus, instead of giving his own impressions or anecdotes related to the game/series. Also, it continues to be ridiculous that he barely mentions any game other than Deus Ex in all of the stuff he has written about Mark of the Ninja and Dishonored; I get it, that's a game he has actually played, but for the love of god, if you're going to cover those 2 games so in-depth, find a weekend to rip through a Thief game or two.

Avatar image for gizmo88
gizmo88

219

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By gizmo88

@vinsanityv22 said:

Anyone see the Painkiller HD Quick Look? *sigh*

Look, I love the GB crew. But Patrick and Brad get on my nerves sometimes. Brad... he just needs to familiarize himself with games a WHOLE lot more before leading a Quick Look on them. Patrick; he's a fine journalist. A lot of the features he does for the site are eye opening and compelling. But he's a terrible REVIEWER. Whatever seems to be the general opinion of a game on the internet is his opinion, automatically. All the time. He does for Sonic games. And he did it for Painkiller. It's obviously not coming from personal experience - why must it be restated as fact?

What I'm talking about, specifically, is his claim that Painkiller and Serious Sam are basically modern day Doom.

I wish, desperately, that you guys would go back and actually play Doom. Or one of the mods for it (might I suggest Brutal Doom?).

I know it's the cliche, lazy internet thing to do, but comparing Painkiller and Serious Sam to Doom is just insulting Doom. They're completely mindless games; the Dynasty Warriors of shooters. I'm not saying they're not fun - I'm just saying, Doom did a lot more. And you guys should give credit to it instead of regurgitating the internet opinion that these new, dumb shooters are just like Doom.

I mean c'mon. Doom may have been "Go from point A to point B", but it didn't mindlessly throw enemies at you. It was as much about exploring Phobos as it was about battling the demons of Hell. Those levels were not linear, they weren't mere arenas to trap the player in. They had a really effective sense of place. They were loaded with secrets. You weren't just blazing through levels; you were looking for everything. And those environments were so effective, I bet you STILL know which wall hides the Chainsaw is in the first couple of levels.

Shooters today... their level designs are dogshit. Not just this "lock you in an arena until you kill x swarms of bad guys" stuff from Painkiller and Serious Sam, but also the "We're just a linear theme park attraction"-kind of crap from Call of Battlefield: Warfighter. Games from the 90's were FAR more ambitious; they really tried to establish these locales as places. There were way less invisible walls; there were tons of corridors and room and the way they were connected MADE SENSE. Make fun of color coded key cards all you want, but compare those levels to MOH: Warfighter and all of sudden, key cards look pretty awesome. It's astounding how backwards shooter design has gone.

Seriously, Patrick, Brad - I'm BEGGING you. Go back and play some older shooters. They're better than most modern shooters. They deserve more credit from you. Do another couple Quick Look throwbacks, like you did for Deus Ex.

Somebody needs a hobby...

Avatar image for vinsanityv22
vinsanityv22

1066

Forum Posts

6

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By vinsanityv22

@Sooty said:

"Journalist"

I spelled Journalist right... yeah. I did.

@jakob187 said:

@vinsanityv22: Here's the thing: the guys at People Can Fly...while developing Painkiller...specifically mentioned themselves as being heavily inspired by Doom. The same goes for the guys at Croteam when they were working on the original Serious Sam games. Eventually, the mentality of "swarm FPS games" was created about Painkiller and Serious Sam and thus became its own sub-genre.

Therefore, when someone says "they are modern day Doom", I can say "well, technically, they are a bit different than Doom...but they are kind of right".

Okay, being inspired by it is one thing. But the actual design of the game is super different. That's what I'm pointing out. Also, it's been awhile since People Can Fly developed a Painkiller title. Who knows what these new guys aspire to recreate?

@SirOptimusPrime said:

I mean, I love Doom - a lot - but if you think it's anything more than a gigantic monster closet than you are kind of delusional. The key cards are just an excuse for 'exploration' and do nothing more than lengthen annoying sections of both games and give you an illusion of something bigger than is actually there. They had an effective sense of pace because, from what I recall, those games were going about 100 mph and the only thing stopping you from getting from point A to B was an assload of demons.

Sounds like Painkiller to me.

I'm not saying Doom was the most thoughtful game that was ever made; I'm just saying there's a whole lot more to it than JUST blasting waves of repetitive enemies in thinly veiled arenas. Painkiller is more... I dunno, a 3D Smash TV. There's no thought in the level designs. Seriously, people don't recognize good level design anymore. Developers don't even attempt it. It's vexing.

@leafhouse said:

Telling Brad to play more Doom? Really?

The guys play an insane amount of games at all times, asking them to check out more is as pointless as creating a thread to complain about staff members.

That is their job; to play games. I don't see why it's too much to ask them to maybe take some minutes and gain some perspective, and re-play some older games. They do it anyway; like I mentioned, they have done Quick Look throwbacks in the past. It's not outrageous.

@doobie said:

please GB crew. never become gaming snobs like this guy.

I really don't think this is snobbish. But whatever; "gaming snob" beats "mainstream gamers" any day of the week.

Some of the rest of you; c'mon! Are you seriously telling me you prefer uber-linear, freedom-less, "loaded with invisible walls", move-from-set-piece-to-set-piece level designs to levels that give you freedom? There's nothing confusing about Doom's level designs. Or Quake. Or Unreal. Maybe if I were talking about... I dunno, Jedi Knight or something - THAT was confusing. But still, I'd take confusing and open over very clear and very linear. At least then, it's up to ME to keep the game going. Not just being pushed along the developer's boring idea of a thrill ride. Modern games don't even care if you do anything; they have AI characters who will complete 99% of the actions for you, just to move you along to the same uninspired set pieces you've seen a thousand times before. That's backwards. I'm sorry. I don't care what you say, whether you like Doom or not. Doom was actually a game. A lot of current stuff is too much on autopilot.

Avatar image for bisonhero
BisonHero

12345

Forum Posts

625

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By BisonHero
@gizmo88 Somebody needs to use the reply button instead of the quote button.
Avatar image for noobsauceg7
NoobSauceG7

1416

Forum Posts

85

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Painkiller is very similar to the original Doom. And I am pretty sure that Brad has been playing Doom 2 this whole year so his memory is pretty fresh. They do great work!

Avatar image for patman99
Patman99

1650

Forum Posts

70

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Patman99

The whole post could be summarised as follows:

"Imma let you finish, but Doom is the greatest FPS of all time."

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

5846

Forum Posts

1570

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#18  Edited By Little_Socrates

@vinsanityv22 said:

I wish, desperately, that you guys would go back and actually play Doom.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

The GB staff, apart from maybe Jeff, know classic shooters way, way, way better than the modern ones. And in Jeff's case, it's because he probably knows an equal and excessive amount about both. You're evangelizing to the pastors, and it's ridiculous, annoying, and falling on deaf ears.

No, really, I'm sick of this kind of whining getting its own thread. Put it in the comments of the video in question and leave it the fuck alone.

Avatar image for csl316
csl316

16185

Forum Posts

765

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By csl316

They just mean there's a lot of guys to shoot in these games. Simple, effective comparison. Less about headshots, more about fast action and burning though ammo.

Avatar image for daneian
Daneian

1308

Forum Posts

1938

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By Daneian

It's used as a shorthand for a specific style of FPS design. Conceptually, these games are the successors to the Doom legacy where Halo/CoD/Killzone took it into different directions.

Avatar image for catarrhal
Catarrhal

877

Forum Posts

948

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Avatar image for mars_cleric
Mars_Cleric

1654

Forum Posts

24

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Mars_Cleric

Are people seriously still making these threads...?

Come on guys

Avatar image for euandewar
EuanDewar

5159

Forum Posts

136

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By EuanDewar

TIME IS A TRAIN, MAKES THE FUTURE THE PAST, LEAVES YOU STANDING IN THE STATION

WITH YOUR FACE PRESSED UP AGAINST THE GLASS

Avatar image for ravenlight
Ravenlight

8057

Forum Posts

12306

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Ravenlight

Video games!

amirite?

Avatar image for laserbolts
laserbolts

5506

Forum Posts

4

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By laserbolts

People take this stuff way too seriously.

Avatar image for ripelivejam
ripelivejam

13548

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By ripelivejam

@EuanDewar said:

TIME IS A TRAIN, MAKES THE FUTURE THE PAST, LEAVES YOU STANDING IN THE STATION

WITH YOUR FACE PRESSED UP AGAINST THE GLASS

good song, but The Fly is better

bout all of that band i can really stand tbh

Avatar image for mordukai
mordukai

8516

Forum Posts

398

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By mordukai

@Video_Game_King said:

@vinsanityv22 said:

the "We're just a linear theme park attraction"-kind of crap from Call of Battlefield: Warfighter.

Mainly because shooters from the 90s largely consisted of wondering just where the hell you were or where you were supposed to go.

Ahhh...the good times.

Avatar image for euandewar
EuanDewar

5159

Forum Posts

136

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#28  Edited By EuanDewar

@ripelivejam said:

@EuanDewar said:

TIME IS A TRAIN, MAKES THE FUTURE THE PAST, LEAVES YOU STANDING IN THE STATION

WITH YOUR FACE PRESSED UP AGAINST THE GLASS

good song, but The Fly is better

bout all of that band i can really stand tbh

This version is reallll good

Loading Video...
Avatar image for rpgee
rpgee

777

Forum Posts

17

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By rpgee

So, thoughts:

  • Brad has played so much Doom he could very easily never touch it again and still be knowledgeable about it.
  • Patrick doesn't have the range of experience that the others have, but that's something that comes after a crapload amount of time in the industry, and I'm pretty sure he's not claiming to be an expert.
  • Don't like Patrick's reviews, or modern day shooters? Don't eat!
  • They probably don't have the time for anything but reviews, QL's and GOTY stuff, so they definitely aren't having any more QLTB's soon.
  • Threads like this go nowhere fast.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

36563

Forum Posts

59080

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

@mordukai said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@vinsanityv22 said:

the "We're just a linear theme park attraction"-kind of crap from Call of Battlefield: Warfighter.

Mainly because shooters from the 90s largely consisted of wondering just where the hell you were or where you were supposed to go.

Ahhh...the good times.

Is this sarcastic? My time on the Internet has fried my ability to detect such things.

Avatar image for abendlaender
abendlaender

3097

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By abendlaender

Uhm, I think both Painkiller and Serious Sam are perfectly comparable to Doom.

Large amount of (unusual) guns? Check

Hordes of mindeless enemies? Check

No recharging health? Check

Run&Gun instead of Hide&Seek? Check

Works for me.

Okay, Doom has horrible leveldesign and boring keycard hunts but otherwise? I think the comparison is fine

Avatar image for shirogane
shirogane

3647

Forum Posts

132

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By shirogane

While there is some truth to your points about Brad, what you're saying about Patrick and then the Dynasty Warriors comparison is pretty hypocritical. That said however, Patrick does say a lot of pretty stupid stuff pretty often in QLs.

Avatar image for dan_citi
Dan_CiTi

5504

Forum Posts

306

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Yo man Doom was all that? Never got into any id games besides Quake 2 and 3. 

Avatar image for ssully
SSully

5753

Forum Posts

315

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By SSully

Hey you know that guy who recently replayed doom 2 on one of its hardest difficulties? Yeah, make him play more doom, because I dont think he really gets it.

Avatar image for peanut
Peanut

965

Forum Posts

94

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Peanut

This guy is obviously fucking insane, because the amount of old shooters Brad has played, both on TNT and Breaking Brad, immediately excuses him from his stupid complaint.

However, I do agree that a lot of Patrick's opinions seem almost entirely based on Internet consensus and not at all on personal experience. He's been caught on that front numerous times on the Bombcast.

Avatar image for zeforgotten
zeforgotten

10368

Forum Posts

9

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By zeforgotten
@Peanut said:

This guy is obviously fucking insane, because the amount of old shooters Brad has played, both on TNT and Breaking Brad, immediately excuses him from his stupid complaint.

However, I do agree that a lot of Patrick's opinions seem almost entirely based on Internet consensus and not at all on personal experience. He's been caught on that front numerous times on the Bombcast.

Meh, that's just how Patrick does his thing. 
I could name 157,494 people on these forums who do the exact same thing
Avatar image for bisonhero
BisonHero

12345

Forum Posts

625

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By BisonHero
@Peanut Yeah, I think vinsanity is way off base about the DOOM thing, but I do wish Patrick would form his own opinions on games or just admit he isn't personally familiar with them, instead of deferring to consensus constantly and semi-passing it off as his own views.
Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

1740

Forum Posts

102

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By shivermetimbers

These open letter topics to staff members are never effective and often come off as immature. You have a gripe about how someone is doing their job, you send them a PM or an email; these really aren't meant for discussion.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
Manhattan_Project

2336

Forum Posts

53

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@Peanut said:

This guy is obviously fucking insane, because the amount of old shooters Brad has played, both on TNT and Breaking Brad, immediately excuses him from his stupid complaint.

However, I do agree that a lot of Patrick's opinions seem almost entirely based on Internet consensus and not at all on personal experience. He's been caught on that front numerous times on the Bombcast.

This thought is so fucking mind-numbly stupid. So he has an opinion that is the same as the majority, so that must mean its not his. You have no proof but, yep, this totally makes sense and is in no way incredibly moronic.

Avatar image for milkman
Milkman

19372

Forum Posts

-1

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By Milkman

Seriously, how fucking clueless are you? Good fucking lord. Telling Brad to play more Doom just shows how little attention you're paying,

@vinsanityv22 said:

Patrick; he's a fine journalist. A lot of the features he does for the site are eye opening and compelling. But he's a terrible REVIEWER. Whatever seems to be the general opinion of a game on the internet is his opinion, automatically. All the time. He does for Sonic games. And he did it for Painkiller. It's obviously not coming from personal experience - why must it be restated as fact?

Where the hell do you get this from? That's complete horseshit.

Avatar image for imhungry
imhungry

1516

Forum Posts

1315

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By imhungry
Loading Video...

He's right. We totally can't trust Brad when it comes to things regarding Doom.

Avatar image for peanut
Peanut

965

Forum Posts

94

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By Peanut

@Manhattan_Project: There are instances on the Bombcast where he has come out with an opinion, then admitted to never having played the game in question. There are instances where he's been vocal about something somewhere, then down the line has admitted to never having played the game he was vocal about.

I don't give a shit and it doesn't bother me, but I'm not the only one who has noticed this trait about Patrick and I'm not trying to make shit up to put the guy down. GBDF activate or whatever, though.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
Manhattan_Project

2336

Forum Posts

53

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@Milkman said:

Seriously, how fucking clueless are you? Good fucking lord. Telling Brad to play more Doom just shows how little attention you're paying,

@vinsanityv22 said:

Patrick; he's a fine journalist. A lot of the features he does for the site are eye opening and compelling. But he's a terrible REVIEWER. Whatever seems to be the general opinion of a game on the internet is his opinion, automatically. All the time. He does for Sonic games. And he did it for Painkiller. It's obviously not coming from personal experience - why must it be restated as fact?

Where the hell do you get this from? That's complete horseshit.

I like you. You seem to have the same hate for bullshit "facts" based on nothing, as I do.

This thread is so dumb.

Avatar image for vod_crack
Vod_Crack

943

Forum Posts

1116

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Vod_Crack

@ripelivejam said:

@EuanDewar said:

TIME IS A TRAIN, MAKES THE FUTURE THE PAST, LEAVES YOU STANDING IN THE STATION

WITH YOUR FACE PRESSED UP AGAINST THE GLASS

good song, but The Fly is better

bout all of that band i can really stand tbh

The Fly is a bloody good song, thanks for reminding me of it.

Avatar image for geraltitude
GERALTITUDE

5991

Forum Posts

8638

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By GERALTITUDE

This was a good read. Don't know if I agree about everything but I think you're right about Doom.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
Manhattan_Project

2336

Forum Posts

53

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@Peanut said:

@Manhattan_Project: There are instances on the Bombcast where he has come out with an opinion, then admitted to never having played the game in question. There are instances where he's been vocal about something somewhere, then down the line has admitted to never having played the game he was vocal about.

I don't give a shit and it doesn't bother me, but I'm not the only one who has noticed this trait about Patrick and I'm not trying to make shit up to put the guy down. GBDF activate or whatever, though.

Some examples would be nice. Or you could just continue with your "GB defense force accusations", thats fine too.

Avatar image for slashdance
SlashDance

1867

Forum Posts

1

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#47  Edited By SlashDance

I had no idea people could be so defensive about Doom of all things.

Avatar image for zekhariah
Zekhariah

700

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By Zekhariah

@gizmo88 said:

@vinsanityv22 said:

Anyone see the Painkiller HD Quick Look? *sigh*

Look, I love the GB crew. But Patrick and Brad get on my nerves sometimes. Brad... he just needs to familiarize himself with games a WHOLE lot more before leading a Quick Look on them. Patrick; he's a fine journalist. A lot of the features he does for the site are eye opening and compelling. But he's a terrible REVIEWER. Whatever seems to be the general opinion of a game on the internet is his opinion, automatically. All the time. He does for Sonic games. And he did it for Painkiller. It's obviously not coming from personal experience - why must it be restated as fact?

What I'm talking about, specifically, is his claim that Painkiller and Serious Sam are basically modern day Doom.

I wish, desperately, that you guys would go back and actually play Doom. Or one of the mods for it (might I suggest Brutal Doom?).

I know it's the cliche, lazy internet thing to do, but comparing Painkiller and Serious Sam to Doom is just insulting Doom. They're completely mindless games; the Dynasty Warriors of shooters. I'm not saying they're not fun - I'm just saying, Doom did a lot more. And you guys should give credit to it instead of regurgitating the internet opinion that these new, dumb shooters are just like Doom.

I mean c'mon. Doom may have been "Go from point A to point B", but it didn't mindlessly throw enemies at you. It was as much about exploring Phobos as it was about battling the demons of Hell. Those levels were not linear, they weren't mere arenas to trap the player in. They had a really effective sense of place. They were loaded with secrets. You weren't just blazing through levels; you were looking for everything. And those environments were so effective, I bet you STILL know which wall hides the Chainsaw is in the first couple of levels.

Shooters today... their level designs are dogshit. Not just this "lock you in an arena until you kill x swarms of bad guys" stuff from Painkiller and Serious Sam, but also the "We're just a linear theme park attraction"-kind of crap from Call of Battlefield: Warfighter. Games from the 90's were FAR more ambitious; they really tried to establish these locales as places. There were way less invisible walls; there were tons of corridors and room and the way they were connected MADE SENSE. Make fun of color coded key cards all you want, but compare those levels to MOH: Warfighter and all of sudden, key cards look pretty awesome. It's astounding how backwards shooter design has gone.

Seriously, Patrick, Brad - I'm BEGGING you. Go back and play some older shooters. They're better than most modern shooters. They deserve more credit from you. Do another couple Quick Look throwbacks, like you did for Deus Ex.

Somebody needs a hobby...

Criticism of journalists like this always reminds me of people obsessing over actor performances. It is kind of funny that, to a group of a few thousand (or tens of thousands), Brad Shoemaker and Patrick Klepic might as well be Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio in terms of how they are regarded. E.g. They are omnipresent in their daily media consumption and there is a great amount of care taken in terms of all of the work they do and the perceived quality of this work.

Media personality types in general draw this sort of attention. Maybe George Broussard and a few random games journalists can open up a video game meta-topic website modeled after TMZ (paparazzi website). Throw in some reddit drama and just ride minor scandals a couple weeks at a time. But than, the real question would be, what actor is the equivalent of Jeff Gerstmann to video game journalism?

Avatar image for mordukai
mordukai

8516

Forum Posts

398

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By mordukai

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@vinsanityv22 said:

the "We're just a linear theme park attraction"-kind of crap from Call of Battlefield: Warfighter.

Mainly because shooters from the 90s largely consisted of wondering just where the hell you were or where you were supposed to go.

Ahhh...the good times.

Is this sarcastic? My time on the Internet has fried my ability to detect such things.

I meant it in the most serious way.

Avatar image for tonicbh
TonicBH

348

Forum Posts

115

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By TonicBH

@Fredchuckdave said:

Painkiller is a modern version of Doom, hate to break it to you bud. I guess if Painkiller had color coded key cards you'd like it more? Or if you automatically aimed everything?

Painkiller has you go into arenas and kill dudes until you get to the next checkpoint. Doom's goal was to find the exit, killing enemies and finding keys along the way. Different experiences, different games.

To call Painkiller and Serious Sam successors of the classic FPS formula is just wrong. They're more like "enemy hell" shooters.