So who actually wants a next gen console?

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Time_Lord

Just reading an article over at ign about rumours of a new fully fledged 360 and it got me thinking that I dont want a new console anytime soon which is strange for me. I currently have all of the current gen platforms and dont wont to drop another 600 a new console yet. So whos with me is it to soon for a  new next generation of consoles?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

2011 is the new cycle.  That is still over 2 years away, so who knows what we will feel like by then.  I am with you though, not needed.  About 8 years would be good.  The a proper profit will be made and most of us know the best games start after about 3 years, when the developers get a handle on the medium.  Soon after that, we are expected to move to the next one - no thanks.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MKHavoc

I'd be pretty upset if Microsoft announced a new Xbox soon.  Especially since it seemed like the original xbox died the moment the 360 was released.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

After buying the noisey, red ring box, I won't go out and buy another Microsoft console within its first year, I'm gunna wait 'til all companies have got their cards on the table before I buy.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
@Scooper said:
" After buying the noisey, red ring box, I won't go out and buy another Microsoft console within its first year, I'm gunna wait 'til all companies have got their cards on the table before I buy. "
Good advice  :-)

I waited 3 years for my 360.  I still think I went to early.
Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Time_Lord

The annoying thing is even if they announce one tommorow I am still going to buy one being the horribile impulse buyer that i am.

Disease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Disease
@Time_Lord said:
" The annoying thing is even if they announce one tommorow I am still going to buy one being the horribile impulse buyer that i am. "
Exactly. That's the way I feel about the PSP Go!, I am probably going to buy one at launch, but I hate myself for it.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain

I'd be pissed tbh, we're in a fucking recession people don't have the money to be upgrading consoles again so soon, I don't even have a PS3 yet, or an HDTV. It's really not likely to happen though, if you think about it logically, but it appears all people want to do at the moment is jump on this rumor like it's the discovery of the century. It's simply going to be a slim style 360 re-release, possibly packaged with (or hardware including) Natal.

Call me out on it if you like but i'll happily eat my shoes is there is a new console announced, let alone released next year that isn't in some way a repackaging of the 360.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Time_Lord

And the other thing is have the graphics advanced that much to warrnt a new generation?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
@The_A_Drain said:
" I'd be pissed tbh, we're in a fucking recession people don't have the money to be upgrading consoles again so soon, I don't even have a PS3 yet, or an HDTV. It's really not likely to happen though, if you think about it logically, but it appears all people want to do at the moment is jump on this rumor like it's the discovery of the century. It's simply going to be a slim style 360 re-release, possibly packaged with (or hardware including) Natal.Call me out on it if you like but i'll happily eat my shoes is there is a new console announced, let alone released next year that isn't in some way a repackaging of the 360. "
I am inclined to agree on both points.

One: they should just look at making the console cheaper and more profitable - wait until the recession is behind us.

Two: it will probably be a new sku and a completely new Xbox (whatever it may be) will follow in due course.
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Lashe

I wouldn't like to see one any time soon. I have a massive backlog of games to play from this gen haha.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_A_Drain
@oldschool:

Add reliability to point #1 :P Any new repackaging of the xbox would need to completely stopper all relability complaints for it to be worthwhile imo, I mean I want to buy one knowing that 10 years down the line after MS no longer supports the 360 I can still happily play Fallout 3 or w/e.
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By metal_mills

Even if they launch in 2011(They won't) I won't buy one. It took me almost 2 years to buy a 360 because there was nothing worth playing. The PS3 is only just now starting to look worth while.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By KindGalaxy

I'm not expecting anything until 2012 at the earliest, if something comes sooner; I shall buy it, because... well... I got a job, my wife has a job, we got money, and we use that to make us happy and new consoles and games make us both happy... so yeah, any time a new console hits we'll grab it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
@Lashe said:
" I wouldn't like to see one any time soon. I have a massive backlog of games to play from this gen haha. "
I still have a shitload from last gen (250 GC, PS2 & Xbox games) and the vast majority have not been completed. 

They are my retirement games  :-)
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lowbrow

If they were going to announce a new console for next year don't you think they would have announced it at E3 maybe?

We still have at least a year and a half.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
@Lowbrow said:
" If they were going to announce a new console for next year don't you think they would have announced it at E3 maybe?We still have at least a year and a half. "
They are talking end of 2010.  Not that I expect a new console by then.  No until at least the end of 2011 surely.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By mordukai

AS far as the ps3 is concerned you will not see a new one for at least 4-5  maybe 6 years. This current gen consoles are pretty powerful machines and I don't see any reason for Microsoft or sony to come out with a the next cycle of consoles so very soon. if this new xbox rumors are true then I think that its not a new gen xbox per say but more of a redesigned xbox. I think its too early to tell since any information is pretty sparse and most of it are rumors. 

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lowbrow
@oldschool:

Ok, granted that a year has 365 days, and its a long time, but I'm pretty sure that with the announcement of a next generation console, these companies are going to need hype machines - fuck that, they're going to build hype factories for this shit. 2010 - even end of year - is too close, in my opinion.

I think that all these consoles, PS3 particularly, have some more juice that can be squeezed out of them.

Plus, is anyone, in this dogshit world economy ready to be told that there is a new 700 dollar console on the Market? I think that the timing would be really off. They need to wait till the markets make a bit of a recovery. Maybe 2010 will be a good time announce the development of new consoles,but releasing them end of year? I dont see it happening.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#20  Edited By TobyD81

I think Microsoft would do well to hold off on completely new hardware for a while. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new SKU next year with Natal packed in, possibly even an Xbox slim.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pibo47

I hope they dont make a new xbox just yet. In 2 years, that will be fine i guess. But i love my 360 :)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Diamond

It would depend on what they delivered, and the games available.

Right now it seems like we've got a fair number of years to go before they launch any new consoles, with the way each of the platforms is selling, and how much they cost, and consumer spending, and game development costs, and motion control...

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Insectecutor

I'd be happy with a refresh, rather than totally new hardware. I think the 360 is one ugly piece of industrial design. The thing is pretty huge and the shiny drive tray is too bling, the squashed shape looks like it was done as a last minute attempt to make it look less boring and plastic.

So yeah, I want one that's the same hardware but in a box half the size with a glossy finish. Oh, and quieter fans.

Cyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cyst

A new console will probably be announced [most likely Nintendo or Microsoft] in 2010, for release in 2011.

Going into this generation, everyone probably expected a 5 year lifecycle for their consoles. Even Nintendo, they didn't expect the massive success of the Wii. All companies we're probably preparing for this generation to be wrapping up around next year. Obviously, and solely, based on the Wii's success, things have changed in this industry. However, companies still have to get this new thing out because its part of their gameplan. It won't be as drastic a change as it was from last gen, but it has to happen.

Wii HD/Plus and Xbox Natal will most likely be announced next year, Sony will probably announce a PS3 Slim either next year or more likely 2011, bundled with their Motion Tech. Times are changing, but not as big a change as last time.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Bigandtasty

I don't. I'm fine with not dropping a few hundred dollars on new hardware as long as good games keep coming out. I could care less about new motion control or more graphical power.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

I don't think I'm ready for the next gen yet.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cloneslayer

I will be fine with a 2012 release of next gen, anything sooner is a no go

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Blu_Magic

I can go another 2-3 years without a new console. I'm very satisfied with my 360 now and hopefully they keep pushing out bigger and better games for it.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By chrissedoff

the first time i heard of "xbox 720" rumours was 2 years ago. of course there is going to be another xbox at some point in the future. given that they have made no official announcement, it's so ridiculous to get angry or anxious about the inevitable "nextbox" being too soon or microsoft abandoning the 360.
eventually, there will be new systems. when you hear about them, they will sound awesome to you, and by the time they come out you will have been embracing whatever amazing new tech they have to offer for months, just like every time a new console has ever been released since Nintendo. the hysteria is unwarranted.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MeierTheRed

Way too early for new hardware, we havent even maxed out this generation yet.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By keyhunter

THe 360 got old like 3 years ago.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
@keyhunter said:
" THe 360 got old like 3 years ago. "
How?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Jeust

it's just smoke and mirrors...

That rumour i think it was born from the presentation of the Project Natal... with kudo saying something that was missunderstood by some and taken advantage by others.

The reality is that a microsoft high representative said that the xbox will be trying to mirror the ps3 statement of trying to reach the 10 years mark, so there's some good years ahead.

Lauching a new game system with the current profits of Microsoft concerning XBOX360, that have been slim, and the current state of the economy make it hard to be true.

Also a revise of the system would be unwise, because just this year lauched a new one with the Resident Evil 5 pack. 

So it's most unlikely... And i wouldn't buy it.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Pie

I still need a PS3.....

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#35  Edited By citizenkane

2011 sounds about right for the next generation to start.  That way many franchises get in about 2 or 3 games into this cycle before starting for the next one.  Mostly, though, I can't afford to switch as soon as Fall 2010,  My wallet would take a beating.