So whos better at games? You now, or you 10 years ago?

• 87 results
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Mighty

Now. 

and 20 bucks says that someone will say "I wasn't even born!"

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By Jeust
@GunnBjorn said: 

"Now that I'm older I play games just for the fun of it. I don't necessarily have to excel in them anymore."

Likewise. 

@Bucketdeth said: 

" Me now, but I think me about 10 years ago could rip me apart in Mario Kart for the SNES. "

Me too. At the time I was a hardcore Super Mario Kart player. Now I don't have the patience to learn the intricacies of the gameplay for the newer versions.   

Ten years ago I was better. Hell I beat the original Ninja Gaiden! Now I can't pass from the first level of Ninja Gaiden Black.  

I've lost my hardcore devotion, mostly as I now value more good stories, and have more important things in life than gaming.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By benpack
@miguelkosta76 said:
"
I like to believe I'ma better player now than when I was younger, but the sad reality is that games are much easier than before.
"
This.
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By cnlmullen
13 year old cnlmullen would pwn 23 year old cnlmullen. I spend much less time playing games these days.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By MysteriousBob

When I was 11, I just used cheats all the time. The only time I didn't would be if cheats didn't exist for the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm currently 24, getting close to 25. I think my skill in games has unquestionably improved.  

I think it's mostly due to my increased knowledge of how games are made. Knowing what gameplay systems are in place and how they work, or sometimes how they're supposed to work. Designer intent. Etc. Generally just having a much better understanding of what's going on behind the surface in a game.  

For instance, somewhere on The Citadel in Mass Effect 1 there's this really long hallway. Absurdly long. A younger me might have thought, "This hallway is stupid. Why is it so long?" or perhaps not even noticed it at all. The adult me on other hand thought, "This hallway is suspiciously long. Oh, right. Loading."  

Edit: I realize that deciphering the meaning of a long hallway doesn't have anything to do with my "skill" in games, but that kind of understanding of the "guts" of games applies to combat and such too.     

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By MysteriousBob
@grayfox1210 said:
" All I had was a NES and that was all I played.  I was either out riding my bike or playing that.  I think I was a little bit better when I was younger.  Though it did take practice, I was able to beat Contra, Super C, Mega Man 2 and 3, and Double Dragon without dying once, multiple times.  And TMNT 2: The Arcade Game with no continues.  I would really only die on the last two bosses a couple times.  I tried doing some of these recently and I can't do it at all. *le sigh* "
I think you've misread the title. The OP is asking you about 10 years ago, not when you were 10 years old (although the two for me are virtually the same).
sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By sgjackson

Had more time back then, smarter now. Probably better now but closer than it should be.

demonkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By demonkd

the me now 10 years ago i didnt play games much
Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By Evilmetal

the people who played games 10yrs ago, who were decent at gaming, are better than today's players, in general in my opinion.

All games today come with a tutorial; no one wants to try and figure it out for themselves, to think:   "Pffft, I don't have time to think. Just tell me how to play because I'm just a dumb slave."

No online hints in the old days. You'd actually have to go read a physical article or be social, in person, and speak with a friend. Today it's anti-social, anti-thinking; just spoon feed me mentality, like a fat guy who can't stop eating twinkies.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#61  Edited By fisk0

I certainly was a lot better 10 years ago. I could hold up pretty well in games like Counter-Strike, Perfect Dark and QuakeWorld back then, now I even have problems timing the jumps in VVVVVV and generally end up in the lower ends of the scoreboards in multiplayer FPSes. Not caring for getting any gaming specific gear might have something to do with it also though, back in the 90's no-one had gaming mice, keyboards with gaming shortcuts or anything like that, making all of us being on the same level gear wise - now I have a basic optical mouse, no mouse pad, which results in some movements not registering properly and a 6 year or keyboard on which the keys occasionally get stuck, meaning I obviously stand no chance against someone who has invested 42000 dollars into ridiculous 4800dpi gaming mices, backlit keyboards or a deci-core computer.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By Romination

I'm SAYING me ten years ago but I actually don't think my skills have changed that much. They were just different games, and after that, it took me a while to realize  that I kind of suck at them, which I've come to terms with,

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By Azteck

I wasn't playing games 10 years ago so...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#64  Edited By fisk0
@Romination said:
" I'm SAYING me ten years ago but I actually don't think my skills have changed that much. They were just different games, and after that, it took me a while to realize  that I kind of suck at them, which I've come to terms with, "
oh, well, I've always sucked at RTSes and started to realize that about 10 years ago. I basically couldn't win any StarCraft matches and haven't even bothered trying playing SC2 online. It is still my favourite genre after space sims though.
bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By bwmcmaste

I believe that I am absolutely a better gamer now than I was ten years ago (especially in terms of conduct). But, one must recognize that games are much better at proper simulation than they were a decade ago (if you don't believe me: load up the original Driver on a PSX).

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By mosespippy

I actually only started gaming 8 or 9 years ago, so I'm definitely better than 10 years ago. I'm also better than I was 5 years ago. My reaction times have always been slower than average because I'm a very calculated response kind of person. My reaction times haven't dropped, but my Mash X To Win speeds have slowed. My knowledge of how to react in various situations has vastly grown. 

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#67  Edited By wwfundertaker

I would say 10 years ago, eventhough im only 22. Used to play 12 hours a day, now i can barely manage to get 30 mins. 
Note to old self, enjoy youth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1e236944295
deactivated-5a1e236944295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely better now.  I bought Banjo-Kazooie off of XBLA when it came out, and played through it.  I was never able to beat it when I was younger, so it was one of those moments where I realized the young me used to suck at video games, I just didn't care at the time, lol.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By fenixrevolution

It's a toss up, some games I'm going to assume I was better at 10 years ago, because I just played through on instinct. Now I think maybe too much in games that are simple.

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By kingkorn69

10 years ago me by miles!   I still am cocky but my skills in my sports and race games have gone massively down hill!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#71  Edited By citizenkane

Definitely me now.  I would kick my 12 year old self's ass.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By LiquidSwords

I have gotten better. I'm also a lot more patient and not so gung-ho especially in fighting games.

rolento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73  Edited By rolento

Depends on the genre.  For example, I was better at competitive FPS games 10 years ago, 'cause I actually enjoyed playing them then and don't now.  I was definitely better at Street Fighter back then.  However, I'm much better at RTS and TBS games now, as well as driving and other simulation type games.  I think more of it comes down to the type of games I'm playing a lot of more than it does the difference in age.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The me now by a long shot.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75  Edited By pickassoreborn

Me 10 years ago, definitely. I think games have become easier and easier, they've lulled me into a false sense of security that I'm getting better at videogames. I used to kick ass at Centipede on the Atari 2600 - first game I ever played - until I played it again in Game Room and got my ass handed to me. I got better at it though, which is reassuring. I think some games these days are more disposable than they should be.

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By tsolless

Me now, definitely.

I had no chance at all playing AoEII legitimately as a kid. I didn't even try. Must have written "How do you turn this on", "Robin Hood", and "Cheese Steak Jimmys" hundreds of thousands of times.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Me now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I played RPGs when I was 14.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I'm better now than then. Sure I had more time to get good, but the wasteland of games since then has taught me pattern recognition and crap like that.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By meteora

Right now. I would rely on cheats to get through missions in StarCraft just to get to the next one.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ten years ago I definitely couldn't have gotten anywhere with Street Fighter, Super Meat Boy or the like, but these days I'm fairly quick to pick things up. Its basically hand-eye co-ordination improvement.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I'm better now due to the fact that I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaay more patient now then ten years ago. But god damn was I fast on Quick Time Events when I was younger.

CuddlyKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By CuddlyKnife

Ten years ago I was much much better. Now, I've become almost a casual gamer. I was better ten years ago compared to ten years before that, too.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#84  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Considering I was 8 10 years ago, I think I could probably destroy my younger self at Pokemon Gold. And Heroes of Might and Magic III. Because those are like the two games I played when I was 8.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#85  Edited By tobygw

I'm definitely better than when I was 6

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Jadeskye

Deffinately much better today than 10 years ago. i would never think of playing a game on anything but easy, today i want the unlocked super hard mode and then some.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DystopiaX

Me now...7 year old me sucked ass at games.