So, you Just got a PS3...... Now What?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By ravensword

(this is a follow up fo the blog post I made for "so you just got a 360 for Christmas.... now what?" and since lots of people are getting PS3s now, I felt this guide was maybe needed)  

So, you just got a PS3 did you? either for Christmas or on your own? Well, Congratulations! You have a great game syestem with lots of great games and features. But where do you go from here? Well, heres some things to think about so you can get the most out of your new purchase:  

1. Get a HDMi Cable: Unfortunately, the PS3 only comes with composite cables, which is perfectly fine if your going to be doing your PS3 gaming on a Standard Definition TV, but what about if you have a HDTV? well, than your gonna have to buy a HDMI cable (or, if your TV dosent have HDMi ports, get Component cables) I would recommend going onto Monoprice.com to find some cheap ones, Remember, never buy the Monster Expensive ones, or even the SONY offical ones. There to expensive and they dont give you better results than a well priced HDMi cable. HDMI is really a it either works ro it dosent kinda thing.  

2. If you need more space, maybe buy a bigger Harddrive: Bought a 120gb Slim, but your gonna be doing alot of Downloads and Media purchases off PSN? well, you may want to look at buying a bigger SATA 2.5" Notebook drive. Remember, it has to be 2.5", or else it wont fit. And it needs to be a internal notebook drive, SATA perferably I believe. You can probaly find a 500gb one anywhere from 100 to 150 dollar, or 300gbs for cheaper, depending on what your needs are. Just go on Newegg.com or something and look at there prices. You can find guides on how to replace it on Youtube.com, or even IGN and Gamespot.com. it shouldnt be to hard to find a guide.  

3. Customize your PS3 XMB with a fan Created theme: The great thing about PS3 is that you can go onto sites like http://www.allps3themes.com/    and find some real stellar USer created themes. Simply go on your PS3 webbrowser, and downlaod them directly to the PS3. Than, go to settings>Themes and find the one you downloaded and make it your theme. Or, you can take a picture you like from the internet and make it your background.  

4. Buy a PSN cash card: Like Xbox Points, the PSN cash card lets you purchase stuff off of PSN without the need for a Credit card. They comes in a few falvors, 25 dollars and 50 dollars I believe, and is a great way to expand your enjoyment of the console. But some PSN games like Pixel Junk shooter or Shatter, Or buy some TV shows episodes or movie rentals from the video store. Why not download a few episodes of the Venture Brothers, or Rent Cloverfeild? Didnt find anything you want at the moment? save it for a rainy day (like the kinds weve been having in California now) The PSN store is constantly getting great stuff.   

5. Buy an Extra Controller: Games are better with company, so why not get another controller. In a variety of Colors (red, blue, silver and black) buy ones that suits your personality.  

6. Get some Games: well, what did you think the PS3 was for, Blu ray Movies? well, ok, its for that to, but its a great games console that needs great games. But what do you get? well, as I always tell people, it really depends on the person. Like shooter? get Killzone 2. Like RPGs? get Oblivion or the upcoming Final fantasy XIII. Like Sports games? get Madden 10. But, just in case your not sure what kind of games you like, here some suggestions:  

Metal Gear Solid 4: guns of the patriots  
 Elderscrolls 4 Oblivion  
Resistance: fall of Man.  
Ratcher and Clank Future: A crack in time.  
Ratcher and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction  
Uncharted 2: Among Theives  
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune  
Heavenly Sword (very underrated game)  
Batman: Arkahm Asylum   
Motorstorm 2: Pacific Rift.  
Resistence 2  
 Resident Evil 5 
  Assassins Creed 2 
Folklore  
Fallout 3

Upcoming games to look forward to.  

Final Fantasy 13  
God of War 3  
Heavy Rain  
The Last Guardian  
Gran turismo 5  
Bioshock 2  

PS3 really has something for everyone, and you should find just what your looking for.  

7. Get some demos: Not sure about the games I listed above?  well your in luck, alot of the game I listed above that are out right now have Demos available on the Playstation store. Try them out, see how you like it, and go from there.   

8. Another thing you may wanna add is Trigger Attachments: I know they amy sound like a weird thing to buy, but trust me, Once you use these after a while, its hard to go back to the sliptastic triggers the PS3 has. these curve the triggers like the 360 controller, making it better for FPS and pretty much any game. I personally use these ones. http://gear.ign.com/articles/914/914947p1.html      

Well, I really hope that this guide has helped atleast one person get on the right track with there new PS3. this may not be useful to most people here, since most people know whats up, but there are more and more new PS3 owners ever month, so I hope this helps those people.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ravensword

(this is a follow up fo the blog post I made for "so you just got a 360 for Christmas.... now what?" and since lots of people are getting PS3s now, I felt this guide was maybe needed)  

So, you just got a PS3 did you? either for Christmas or on your own? Well, Congratulations! You have a great game syestem with lots of great games and features. But where do you go from here? Well, heres some things to think about so you can get the most out of your new purchase:  

1. Get a HDMi Cable: Unfortunately, the PS3 only comes with composite cables, which is perfectly fine if your going to be doing your PS3 gaming on a Standard Definition TV, but what about if you have a HDTV? well, than your gonna have to buy a HDMI cable (or, if your TV dosent have HDMi ports, get Component cables) I would recommend going onto Monoprice.com to find some cheap ones, Remember, never buy the Monster Expensive ones, or even the SONY offical ones. There to expensive and they dont give you better results than a well priced HDMi cable. HDMI is really a it either works ro it dosent kinda thing.  

2. If you need more space, maybe buy a bigger Harddrive: Bought a 120gb Slim, but your gonna be doing alot of Downloads and Media purchases off PSN? well, you may want to look at buying a bigger SATA 2.5" Notebook drive. Remember, it has to be 2.5", or else it wont fit. And it needs to be a internal notebook drive, SATA perferably I believe. You can probaly find a 500gb one anywhere from 100 to 150 dollar, or 300gbs for cheaper, depending on what your needs are. Just go on Newegg.com or something and look at there prices. You can find guides on how to replace it on Youtube.com, or even IGN and Gamespot.com. it shouldnt be to hard to find a guide.  

3. Customize your PS3 XMB with a fan Created theme: The great thing about PS3 is that you can go onto sites like http://www.allps3themes.com/    and find some real stellar USer created themes. Simply go on your PS3 webbrowser, and downlaod them directly to the PS3. Than, go to settings>Themes and find the one you downloaded and make it your theme. Or, you can take a picture you like from the internet and make it your background.  

4. Buy a PSN cash card: Like Xbox Points, the PSN cash card lets you purchase stuff off of PSN without the need for a Credit card. They comes in a few falvors, 25 dollars and 50 dollars I believe, and is a great way to expand your enjoyment of the console. But some PSN games like Pixel Junk shooter or Shatter, Or buy some TV shows episodes or movie rentals from the video store. Why not download a few episodes of the Venture Brothers, or Rent Cloverfeild? Didnt find anything you want at the moment? save it for a rainy day (like the kinds weve been having in California now) The PSN store is constantly getting great stuff.   

5. Buy an Extra Controller: Games are better with company, so why not get another controller. In a variety of Colors (red, blue, silver and black) buy ones that suits your personality.  

6. Get some Games: well, what did you think the PS3 was for, Blu ray Movies? well, ok, its for that to, but its a great games console that needs great games. But what do you get? well, as I always tell people, it really depends on the person. Like shooter? get Killzone 2. Like RPGs? get Oblivion or the upcoming Final fantasy XIII. Like Sports games? get Madden 10. But, just in case your not sure what kind of games you like, here some suggestions:  

Metal Gear Solid 4: guns of the patriots  
 Elderscrolls 4 Oblivion  
Resistance: fall of Man.  
Ratcher and Clank Future: A crack in time.  
Ratcher and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction  
Uncharted 2: Among Theives  
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune  
Heavenly Sword (very underrated game)  
Batman: Arkahm Asylum   
Motorstorm 2: Pacific Rift.  
Resistence 2  
 Resident Evil 5 
  Assassins Creed 2 
Folklore  
Fallout 3

Upcoming games to look forward to.  

Final Fantasy 13  
God of War 3  
Heavy Rain  
The Last Guardian  
Gran turismo 5  
Bioshock 2  

PS3 really has something for everyone, and you should find just what your looking for.  

7. Get some demos: Not sure about the games I listed above?  well your in luck, alot of the game I listed above that are out right now have Demos available on the Playstation store. Try them out, see how you like it, and go from there.   

8. Another thing you may wanna add is Trigger Attachments: I know they amy sound like a weird thing to buy, but trust me, Once you use these after a while, its hard to go back to the sliptastic triggers the PS3 has. these curve the triggers like the 360 controller, making it better for FPS and pretty much any game. I personally use these ones. http://gear.ign.com/articles/914/914947p1.html      

Well, I really hope that this guide has helped atleast one person get on the right track with there new PS3. this may not be useful to most people here, since most people know whats up, but there are more and more new PS3 owners ever month, so I hope this helps those people.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By harris

Nice post! I would add trigger attachments. I find my fingers slipping off the built-in triggers quite often. I use a set of these.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Resistance 2, really? I have to wonder about the state of the system when you're recommending panned games and versions of games that got separate scores because of performance hiccups (AC2, Fallout 3).

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ravensword
@harris:

Oh, I forgot about those. i have them for my Controller to. Added.
lawlerballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lawlerballer

now its time for pants on the ground

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword
@ryanwho:

The only game that got a Seprate score was Fallout 3. Assassins Creed 2 got the same scores for both versions, and the problems arent taht bad. Fallout 3 has been fixed for the most part, and if you dont have a 360, its still worth getting. And resistence 2 was actually pretty good. Just because you personally dont like it dosent mean its bad.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai
@ryanwho: Do you ever have anything nice or productive to add to a discussion? 

@Raven_Sword: No inFAMOUS on that list of games. *wags his finger*    
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Bombs_Away
@ryanwho said:
" Resistance 2, really? I have to wonder about the state of the system when you're recommending panned games and versions of games that got separate scores because of performance hiccups (AC2, Fallout 3). "
Jackass...Where did you read that Resistance 2 got panned? It's one of the best series going, plus the PSP version is amazing too. You are an idiot.