User Lists: 11

new burnout

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

When the fuck are we going to get a game with AI that isn't shit. Physics will only get you so far if the AI can't adapt and will still only run a straight predefined path

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The thread title is very misleading.

Also these people should get together with the SpinTires people.

mmzOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mmzOne

@seppli said:

Watch the following video, and tell me this isn't getting all you hot and bothered as well...

I've been longing for dynamic material simulation in games. As far as car body damage and the materials involved in such things go, this developer's efforts look incredible. Hell, in one of the crashes with the truck, you can actually see the sheet metal getting torn into shreds by the forces at play. Impressive. Kinda reminds me of when I first saw Crytek's CryEngine and could not believe my eyes. It's just too damn good.

If this is the kinds of improvements we can look forward to coming to future games on new generation consoles, I'm a happy camper. Just imagine GTA VI with this level of simulation fidelity. Oh my! 'Til then, check out the free tech demo on your own PC, or buy their game outright at their site.

If you like playing around in BeamNG, you might wanna checkout Rigs of Rods, if you haven't already. It's another soft-body sandbox toy that's been around for awhile. Although ROR is open-source and has more stuff to do.

Mandatory crash compilation:

Loading Video...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55  Edited By Seppli

@mmzone said:

@seppli said:

Watch the following video, and tell me this isn't getting all you hot and bothered as well...

I've been longing for dynamic material simulation in games. As far as car body damage and the materials involved in such things go, this developer's efforts look incredible. Hell, in one of the crashes with the truck, you can actually see the sheet metal getting torn into shreds by the forces at play. Impressive. Kinda reminds me of when I first saw Crytek's CryEngine and could not believe my eyes. It's just too damn good.

If this is the kinds of improvements we can look forward to coming to future games on new generation consoles, I'm a happy camper. Just imagine GTA VI with this level of simulation fidelity. Oh my! 'Til then, check out the free tech demo on your own PC, or buy their game outright at their site.

If you like playing around in BeamNG, you might wanna checkout Rigs of Rods, if you haven't already. It's another soft-body sandbox toy that's been around for awhile. Although ROR is open-source and has more stuff to do.

Mandatory crash compilation:

Thanks for the tip man. Will check it out momentarily.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By BaneFireLord

Someone out there is furiously masturbating to that video right now.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Niceanims

Oh yeah, that's the stuff... I'm also a big fan of this. Gets me going every time.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Quick! Somebody get the Drive Club guy.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@somedelicook said:

When the fuck are we going to get a game with AI that isn't shit. Physics will only get you so far if the AI can't adapt and will still only run a straight predefined path

Drivatars in all games

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@psylah said:

@alexglass: Haven't seen that much fluid flung at a rabbit since that furry convention I stumbled upon.

Aw, Jesus, that's a terrible thing to say. Funny, yes, but also terrible.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The most impressive thing is how well the demo runs on my shitty old PC.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@itwongo said:

Oh yeah, that's the stuff... I'm also a big fan of this. Gets me going every time.

Loading Video...

Kinky. Tell me more about contact surfaces and bulges...

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@itwongo said:

Loading Video...

Kinky. Tell me more about contact surfaces and bulges...

This stuff is where it's at, no more parts of characters disappearing inside themselves when they bend their knees or freaky hover hand interaction.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By AlexGlass

@psylah said:

@alexglass: Haven't seen that much fluid flung at a rabbit since that furry convention I stumbled upon.

No Caption Provided
AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By AlexGlass

@bbalpert said:

You guys might like some of these technical papers and SIGGRAPH presentations about physics simulation stuff.

http://www.physicsbasedanimation.com/

It's full of stuff that I don't understand but love the crap out of like this.

Loading Video...

On a side note, my dream game would be Garry's Mod with the material and AI tech from The Force Unleashed.

They're working on what most people would imagine when you say soft body collisions. Basically each point on a curved surface makes contact as it should during a collision, but they also do an amazing job with stretching and tearing. Looks amazing. I want to shoot a huge bazooka in a gigantic blob of jello then take a car and drive around its insides.

I wish they would have shown the wireframe because I'm curious to know if the models are pre-subdivided into a lot of polygons, or if they get subdivided and segmented as the collisions happens. If the latter, than it would be a lot closer to being introduced in gaming since you could still have simple polygon models that only subdivide as you deform them.

We just need more power. A lot more power.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

these soft body physics are getting my physics not so soft

ehh? eeehhhh????

(gross)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Cool video. For me it's that kind of Natural Motion leap from last gen in tech.