Some thoughts on Condemned

RichardQuarisa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RichardQuarisa

The atmosphere in Condemned is genuinely creepy. I played most of the game at night with the lights off because I like to maximize scary-ness in horror games and movies when I can, and in this case I could not play for longer than an hour without taking a break. The game got to me. It was so scary it was stressful.

Now, what makes Condemned truly masterful at its craft is how it incentivizes exploration. Because the atmosphere is so scary, I found myself compelled to rush through the levels as quickly as possible. However, when I took the time to explore each level thoroughly, and consequently subject myself to more perturbation than I wanted, the game greatly rewarded me. I'd find better weapons - usually guns.

Guns in Condemned contain very little ammunition and cannot be refilled. You can fire a gun until it's empty and then beat fools with it, or trade it for another gun (or weapon) that has more ammunition. Guns in Condemned are therefore seriously empowering. Finding a gun is like activating super sayain mode with the caveat that it can't last forever. That kind of power surge is addictive in itself and fueled my exploration. Not only did I want to make the game easier, but I wanted to feel powerful - and if subjecting myself to more emotional discomfort was the only way to accomplish that, then I would.

Jackentrote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beautiful blog, i remember the game, sadly i didn't have your balls to get past the first hour and a half

keep up the scary work for all of us wimps out there!

Feels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Feels

Ahhh Condemned, what a gem. Can't say the same about Condemned 2 though, aside from a handful of levels. Probably for the best that the series never finished, the direction it was going and all.

(Weird-ass sci-fi bullshit)

RichardQuarisa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RichardQuarisa

@jackentrote Haha thank you, and I will try my best. I think my finishing this game had less to do with balls and more to do with a slight masochistic tendency :)

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

@feels: It's true that there are a couple of pretty rotten levels in Condemned 2, but I think most of the game is far superior to the original. For one, the second one is actually scary, and the way they turned the crime scene investigation moments into puzzles was brilliant. And then, of course, the bear chase. That alone makes the game worth playing. I agree that the sci-fi direction they went in at the end was super silly and against the tone of the game, but thankfully that stuff really didn't pop up until the last couple of levels. It was better when it was clear that there was some supernatural shit going on, but it remained totally ambiguous as to what exactly it was. A lot of the game has a creepy and mysterious atmosphere to it.

But yes, both games are great. I consider 2 one of the best of last gen, though. I really, really want to see another sequel someday. Monolith is too busy working on LOTR bullshit, though.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The one problem I had with the guns in Condemned were that it sometimes took all the ammo from a shotgun to down a guy but the next time it may only take one. It had such a random damage percentage I got to a point where I never picked up a gun because they weren't trustworthy.

But man I enjoy the hell out of the game. I wish the fighting from the second game was implemented into the first game, because I enjoyed its levels, characters, set pieces, etc etc way more than I did Bloodshot.

Also, Condemned 3 please. But go back to the more drugged up bums aspect of it and get away from the psychological nightmare dream bullshit.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found condemned 2 strangely compelling, finished it on even the hardest difficulty setting and nearly got the SKX achievement online for killing 1000 people. In hindsight it had a couple of decent levels but was mostly pretty average.

Just about to get started on the first condemned, only ever played the demo before but looking forward to it. I really like the detective/CSI elements and hopefully I can make it through without wussing out

RichardQuarisa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onekillwonder_ and @mcbeef I picked up both condemned 1 and 2 for 5 bucks apiece used at ebgames a half a week ago. I look forward to playing Condemned 2 and will probably write up a little blurb about it too (but not before South Park The Stick of Truth comes out, goddamn am I excited for that thing)