Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By owl_of_minerva
 The Post-Apocalypse Doesn't Seem Quite So Bad

Having only recently acquired a Nintendo Wii, I thought instead of writing the thesis chapter I desperately need to write, I would attempt to discuss some games that have impressed me in my limited playtime with it thus far. The first game that I acquired for the system was Fragile Dreams. I was immediately struck by its strong and distinctive visual style. For those unfamiliar with the game, it's an adventure title by Namco/Tri-Crescendo reminiscent of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (not quite as dark though). The image above is one that I think perfectly captures what this game attempts to convey with its visuals. Fragile Dreams is set in a post-apocalyptic society, one that has been interrupted by an unknown catastrophic event and begun to decay. If this were a western game, the environments would probably be drab neutrals - browns, blacks, greys, as has been the frequent complaint against games such as Fallout 3. The difference in approach is obvious. Although Fragile Dreams, much like Fallout, is concerned with the world as we know it in a state of ruin, it is much more aestheticised.

I think this is an effective approach because it makes the world more complex, mysterious, and emotionally ambiguous: even if this is a post-apocalyptic world where the protagonist is possibly the only person left alive, it can also be seen as beautiful. Nature is quick to reclaim what humanity relinquishes in death. This reminds me of a style of Japanese photography that seeks to find beauty solely in decay and impermanence. Instead of people, the game world seems to solely be populated by cicadas, fireflies, cats, and innumerable hostile ghosts who manifest as the emotional residue of those long-dead. However, the game isn't always a natural paradise. Much time is also spent exploring rusty, nasty-looking, and darkened shopping malls and train stations littered with trash and so on. The game can become quite eerie on occasions when the darkness coincides with Silent Hill-esque sound effects (making good use of the Wii remote). The game maintains a nice balance between being visually lush and creepy.

Unfortunately I can't say much more than that at this stage, as I haven't gotten very far into the game. So far the design choices in sound and visuals have been excellent, emphasising what the Wii can do well - putting emphasis on design rather than just the technicalities of the engine. However, I can safely say that this is not in any way a bad game as some reviewers are suggesting, definitely not a 3 or 4 out of 10 anyway. Has there been some secret meeting where reviewers have decided to hate on Japanese games now? The graphics and sound are excellent, the writing is polished, and it is laden with atmosphere, everything an adventure game needs to be excellent.

HOTD: Overkill

Basically, this game is awesome. Its visuals remind me a lot of the film Planet Terror from Grindhouse, with its liberal use of film grain, visual artefacts, slow-down effects, etc. Unfortunately, the engine is kind of bad as it suffers from frequent slowdown, but the style is such an effective pastiche of 70s grindhouse films that I can't help but forgive the game. Again, a strong and distinctive style does much to overcome the game's shortfalls in comparison to more technically impressive games. 

No Caption Provided

TL;DR Maybe I'm just sick of the Unreal Engine?

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Having only recently acquired a Nintendo Wii, I thought instead of writing the thesis chapter I desperately need to write, I would attempt to discuss some games that have impressed me in my limited playtime with it thus far. The first game that I acquired for the system was Fragile Dreams. I was immediately struck by its strong and distinctive visual style. For those unfamiliar with the game, it's an adventure title by Namco/Tri-Crescendo reminiscent of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (not quite as dark though). The image above is one that I think perfectly captures what this game attempts to convey with its visuals. Fragile Dreams is set in a post-apocalyptic society, one that has been interrupted by an unknown catastrophic event and begun to decay. If this were a western game, the environments would probably be drab neutrals - browns, blacks, greys, as has been the frequent complaint against games such as Fallout 3. The difference in approach is obvious. Although Fragile Dreams, much like Fallout, is concerned with the world as we know it in a state of ruin, it is much more aestheticised.

I think this is an effective approach because it makes the world more complex, mysterious, and emotionally ambiguous: even if this is a post-apocalyptic world where the protagonist is possibly the only person left alive, it can also be seen as beautiful. Nature is quick to reclaim what humanity relinquishes in death. This reminds me of a style of Japanese photography that seeks to find beauty solely in decay and impermanence. Instead of people, the game world seems to solely be populated by cicadas, fireflies, cats, and innumerable hostile ghosts who manifest as the emotional residue of those long-dead. However, the game isn't always a natural paradise. Much time is also spent exploring rusty, nasty-looking, and darkened shopping malls and train stations littered with trash and so on. The game can become quite eerie on occasions when the darkness coincides with Silent Hill-esque sound effects (making good use of the Wii remote). The game maintains a nice balance between being visually lush and creepy.

Unfortunately I can't say much more than that at this stage, as I haven't gotten very far into the game. So far the design choices in sound and visuals have been excellent, emphasising what the Wii can do well - putting emphasis on design rather than just the technicalities of the engine. However, I can safely say that this is not in any way a bad game as some reviewers are suggesting, definitely not a 3 or 4 out of 10 anyway. Has there been some secret meeting where reviewers have decided to hate on Japanese games now? The graphics and sound are excellent, the writing is polished, and it is laden with atmosphere, everything an adventure game needs to be excellent.

HOTD: Overkill

Basically, this game is awesome. Its visuals remind me a lot of the film Planet Terror from Grindhouse, with its liberal use of film grain, visual artefacts, slow-down effects, etc. Unfortunately, the engine is kind of bad as it suffers from frequent slowdown, but the style is such an effective pastiche of 70s grindhouse films that I can't help but forgive the game. Again, a strong and distinctive style does much to overcome the game's shortfalls in comparison to more technically impressive games. 

No Caption Provided

TL;DR Maybe I'm just sick of the Unreal Engine?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

I've never seen a post apocalyptic environment realised so beautifully in a game before. Fragile creates a wonderful almost dream like ambiance, that tugs on all the heart strings of the artist in me. I love the game despite it's few flaws, I honestly couldn't care less about the games combat, which I'm sure the majority of Westerners will have an aversion to. The prime focus of this game is it's ambiance and story, something I myself appreciate. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, I happen to think in some ways this game is ahead of it's time.

It captured my imagination, and I do love it for that alone 

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 37

#3  Edited By Jazz

Nice post. I'll definitely take a look at Fragile Dreams now. I loved Shattered Memories. 
and yes HOTD is awesome.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool
@owl_of_minerva said:
"

No Caption Provided

"

I really loved this simply for the simple reason that is was fun.  I mean laugh out loud, shoot the hell out of stuff fun.  It was the most fun I have had in a game in a very long time.  I mean, I enjoy games a lot, but this was significant fun and isn't that why we play games?  It is also cheap, so I think anyone with a Wii is mad not to play it, unless of course if they are easily offended and it is offensive.  You are right about the engine, but it didn't harm my fun at all. 

As for Fragile, I don't have it yet, but desperately want to play it.  It is a game like this that really makes me annoyed at mainstream game retailers.  I have not seen a single copy of this game in any local store.  I saw it a few weeks back at JB and that is it.  How the hell is the public supposed to buy it when all the regular retail outlets don't even stock it?  Nice right up, and it just increase my desire to get it.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Agreed about Fragile, but I was quite disappointed with Overkill's low frame rate and less than perfect calibration which made it feel lesser to HoTD 2&3 Return and Ghost Squad. It's still a fun game for sure, but these two are the lightgun games I tend to recommend (more than Extraction, more than the Chronicles games, as they lack proper calibration). It's baffling so many games meant to be lightgun games skip the calibration process that SEGA has mastered with their own arcade ports and end up being "Wii remote pointing" games instead of near perfect arcade-like experiences that work great with lightgun shells like the sweet Hand Cannon. Now, not every game needs that, for example something like Sin & Punishment 2 is not meant to be a lighgun game, so "Wii remote pointing" and the nunchuck controls to actually move your character as in a shmup are the intended, and perfect, controls, but games like some I mentioned were clearly meant to be arcade-like experiences, yet fail to offer that. Some make up for it in some ways (like the length, visuals, and fan service of the Chronicles games) but it wouldn't have been hard to make the games even better, great even, simply by copying SEGA's perfected calibration process. </rant>

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
@oldschool said:

" @owl_of_minerva said:

"

No Caption Provided

"

I really loved this simply for the simple reason that is was fun.  I mean laugh out loud, shoot the hell out of stuff fun.  It was the most fun I have had in a game in a very long time.  I mean, I enjoy games a lot, but this was significant fun and isn't that why we play games?  It is also cheap, so I think anyone with a Wii is mad not to play it, unless of course if they are easily offended and it is offensive.  You are right about the engine, but it didn't harm my fun at all.  As for Fragile, I don't have it yet, but desperately want to play it.  It is a game like this that really makes me annoyed at mainstream game retailers.  I have not seen a single copy of this game in any local store.  I saw it a few weeks back at JB and that is it.  How the hell is the public supposed to buy it when all the regular retail outlets don't even stock it?  Nice right up, and it just increase my desire to get it. "

Have your tried calling them all up and asking if it's ever been in stock? (databases should tell them), if it hasn't, due to it's somewhat niche appeal, I would get it online via Amazon UK, the 25 Pounds asking price will lessen the wallet blow of postage costs. It may never turn up second hand..

I'm confident your girls would love it, the emotion and the imagination the game attempts to draw from players would go down well with them. They would of course go gaga over the games art also.  

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rising-Star-Games-Fragile-Dreams/dp/B00336EN4C
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
@Linkyshinks said:
" @oldschool said:

"  Have your tried calling them all up and asking if it's ever been in stock? (databases should tell them), if it hasn't, due to it's somewhat niche appeal, I would get it online via Amazon UK, the 25 Pounds asking price will lessen the wallet blow of postage costs. it may never turn up second hand.. I'm confident your girls would love it. the emotion and the imagination the game attempts to draw from player would go down well with them. They would of course go gaga over the games art. "

I always have the option of importing the NTSC version, which is still cheaper than the local price, which I think was $80.  The import is about $60.  I will check it out again when I am back in Melbourne in a couple of weeks and see what the price is again.  I have no doubt we will all love it.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Linkyshinks:   Yeah, the combat is definitely not the focus of the game, and a few issues like the inventory system are more annoyances than serious problems. I can't help but think that the people who bashed this game in reviews are soulless and don't appreciate art when they see it. There's a growing impatience towards Japanese games, I notice, and that probably leads to gems like Fragile Dreams being overlooked because of unreceptive and impatient reviewers. I think the game is great so far, and the visual design is consistently stunning.  

@oldschool: Oh yeah, HOTD is definitely fun and hilarious. I don't think its visual design is its most outstanding feature, but it does give it a distinctive character, much more so than other HOTD games I've played. If there was a disconnect between the story and the game's style then it wouldn't be as complete a package as it is. Like Fragile, it confirms me in my view that design always triumphs over technical limitations, and the emphasis on HD for the Xbox/PS3 is meaningless if there isn't any thought behind a game's visual choices. I would recommend you purchase it at JB before it disappears, as I'm guessing it will only have a limited run (unless the internet provides a viable alternative). On a somewhat related note, is Muramasa available in Australia anywhere, did it even get a release? I really want to play that.

@Al3xand3r: I've read some criticism of House of Dead 2/3 as being lazy ports. Is it still a decent package worth purchasing? I'll definitely look into some of the other lightgun games you mentioned.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I think I would like both of these games, especially Fragile Dreams. I've had my open for it. Too bad Galaxy 2 is coming out, plus I just bought Anno 1404 or Dawn of Discovery.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne

That did it, I'm getting Fragile now. 

I was hesitant because of the bad reviews, but whenever I read up on it, it seems like the game sets its focus and ambition exactly where I want it, even though gameplay-wise it might not be the next Metal Gear Solid.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

They lightgun games I mentioned are lazy ports, yes, but what does that have to do with anything? The games are arcade perfect as far as I can tell (well, maybe Ghost Squad doesn't run at its proper frame rate, I can't remember if it was 60 in the arcades, but in any case it doesn't hinder gameplay as it does in Overkill) and are a blast to play, with proper calibration and no technical issues. They launched at budget price so should be really cheap now. Get the Overkill lightgun shell alongside them and you'll have a blast for sure, as long as you like that type of game, unless you disliked their arcade versions. But I guess Overkill is enough for you for now, maybe try different genres instead like Little King's Story and Monster Hunter Tri, and get more such shooters later on.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Meowayne:  There are these flaws to consider, just so you're sure about the game: it's a bit short apparently, there's some backtracking, the inventory system can be annoying (then again, RE has an annoying inventory system), and the combat isn't wonderful. I'm wondering if any of them have heard of adventures games though, as these problems are somewhat endemic to the genre.

That said, the bad reviews of the game are pretty poor journalism. Here's some examples.

Gamecritics.com:  Disclosures: "This game was obtained via publisher and reviewed on the Wii. Approximately 6 hours of play were devoted to the single-player mode, and the game was not completed."

Honestgamers:  "Instead, I was being asked to adjust the settings on my television so that I could make things out properly. Since I was happy with my current settings and had played numerous games without incident, I refused to change my settings. How bad could this new game really be, I wondered, if I left my settings where they were? The answer, as it turned out, was "pretty freaking bad."" The reviewer is complaining about having to change the brightness settings, riveting stuff. They also didn't finish the game.

Acegamez: " For me though, the ‘find your lost love’ story is a bit tedious – I want action and a larger than life experience. The fact that much of the game is pointless in the grand scope of things also frustrates. If you’re the kind of person who loves to watch dramas like Survivors, Coronation Street or EastEnders on TV and are disappointed by the overuse of violence in modern games, then I recommend this game as there really aren’t many other titles like it that focus solely on drama. However, if, like me, you prefer games that blow your mind – steer clear of this one." It's like not an FPS herp derp.

Would you trust these men with your gaming choices?
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

Sega cleaned up some textures in the HoTD collection.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lol @ those reviews. So he played games that didn't rely on dark atmospheres fine with those settings, that must mean that they're the perfect settings so he refused to change them for an actually dark title? The other one needs no further comment...

I didn't notice anything enhanced in HoTD 2 & 3 Return but that's cool they did that. HoTD 3 still looks absolutely fine actually, 2 not as much, but is a blast.

As you can see it's quite different from Overkill. No prominent retro movie filters but still cheesy so bad it's good type of story. Except it was genuinely bad I guess, not trying to do this on purpose. Also, calibration and smoothness is so good that with a gun shell you can easily disable the crosshair  unhindered.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Al3xand3r:  Yeah, I was just asking in case there were any serious problems with the games; I don't think they are expensive here so I will pick them up at some point. I'm interested in all the games you mentioned, but I probably will like you said get some games from other genres first as well as other must-haves like the Mario, Zelda, and Metroid series.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Meowayne
@owl_of_minerva said:

1. it's a bit short apparently, 2. there's some backtracking, 3. the inventory system can be annoying (then again, RE has an annoying inventory system), and  4. the combat isn't wonderful.

1. Awesome, most of my favorite games are short. I love short games because they're usually beautifully paced and better written
2. That's horrible, I despise backtracking with my entire being and soul. It made me quit Metroid Prime and never look back. Then again, it wasn't a problem in Shadow Complex, so we'll see.
3. Who cares
4. For me, Silent Hill 2 is among the best games ever made. So yeah. Combat isn't an issue if it takes place in a great world.

Edit: And yeah, the speed, smoothness and calibration of HotD3's crosshair is by far the best on the Wii. True 1:1 lightgunning without compromises.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
@owl_of_minerva said:
" @oldschool: On a somewhat related note, is Muramasa available in Australia anywhere, did it even get a release? I really want to play that."
I got my copy of Murmasa at JB (in Hobart) just before Christmas last year.  Exactly like Fragile (and for that matter Opoona which is very niche), I have never seen a copy of it anywhere else (GAME, EB, Myer, Harvey Norman, KMart & Target).  I think at the time it cost me about $60.  I hate the lack of availability of the better games when you could drown in the crap on the shelves at the general retail outlets.  I think I may cave in and buy it from JB in 2 weeks if they still have it.
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StrikeALight

I came very close to purchasing Fragile Dreams (sounds right up my ally), but went with Sin & Punishment 2. Will certainly pick up a copy at some point, though.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StrikeALight
@Meowayne said:
" 4. For me, Silent Hill 2 is among the best games ever made. So yeah. Combat isn't an issue if it takes place in a great world. "
Agreed. Absolutely love(d) that game.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@StrikeALight:  What are your thoughts on Sin & Punishment 2, is it good?
@oldschool: Yeah, Australian retail is frustrating, especially when they overlook more niche titles on the Wii/DS in favour of the less essential offerings. How is Opoona? Its review scores aren't the highest, but that can be misleading.
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StrikeALight
@owl_of_minerva: Not had a chance to start playing it yet, still busy with Metroid Prime trilogy. Heard nothing but great things about it though. It was a day-one purchase for me, since I loved the original. Out of their games I've played, Treasure just don't make bad games, it seems.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rallier
@owl_of_minerva: I think that your mind will be blown when you finish House of the Dead Overkill. Trust me, you will not expect what will happen.

Sin And Punishment 2 is a great game, it is one of those game when you play it it just makes sense. Brilliant use of the IR pointer.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Rallier:  I've finished HOTD, and the ending is brilliant. I especially love the self-aware dialogue sequence after the last boss.
stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By stackboy

I keep meaning to pick up Overkill, I'm sure it's cheap around town.

Love some of the gun games soon to be on offer on wii, like Gunblade!!

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rallier
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_A_Drain

I thought HoTD Overkill was a blast, it was so much fun and probably the best thing i've played on the Wii thus far. I really enjoyed every second of it, the style, the music, the goofy grindhouse style movie effects, I thought it was pure brilliance. Cannot convey how much I loved that game. 

HoTD 2 & 3 return on the other hand offended me with it's very existence. I mean don't get me wrong, I love HoTD 2, 3 is a'ight. But the fact it didn't include HoTD (the original) pissed me off so badly. I get why it didn't, because 2 and 3 use the same engine and whatnot, but damn, I REALLY wanted a release of 1 that I don't have to A) play with a mouse B) buy a Sega Saturn for (i've tried! Both were broken :( ) 

As for the other game, thank you for bringing it to my attention, you can colour me geniunely interested i'll have to have a good look around and see if I can find a copy of it locally. It will give me a reason to dust off my Wii, which hasn't been used since HoTD Overkill. But in it's defense, I havn't had a working television in 4 months. :( Just a PC monitor to play my 360 on.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldschool
@owl_of_minerva said:

" @oldschool: Yeah, Australian retail is frustrating, especially when they overlook more niche titles on the Wii/DS in favour of the less essential offerings. How is Opoona? Its review scores aren't the highest, but that can be misleading. "

I can't honestly recommend it to anyone.  It isn't that I don't like it, I do, but it truly is an odd game, in that really strange Japanese way.  You will either like/love the strange animation, or  you will just hate it.  I am known for odd games, like Giftpia, Captain Rainbow and even Chibi Robo (although that has more commercial appeal), so I don't mind it.  You really have to read multiple reviews to get a feel for it, and I doubt there are many like me who is attracted to it. 

Edit: hey look at us, having a sensible conversation that includes criticism and praise - on a Wii related thread.  I can go to bed happy  :-)
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@The_A_Drain:  Yeah, I am a fan of compilations and re-releases, wanting to revisit the past; seeing the series evolve from 1-3 would be a nice bonus, and help round out the package a little. Otherwise, I wholly agree about Overkill. It really captures the grindhouse feel incredibly well, all the good and fun parts about that genre of films anyway. As for Fragile Dreams, it's always good to have games that don't shy away from artistic ambition or more eerie/depressing subject matter.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shirogane

Hmm, hadn't realised this was out already, and in Australia? I've never seen it. 

I do remember seeing Muramasa once or something when it came out, hard to find now. Been playing that lately, while i wait for Resonance of Fate and 3D Dot Game Heroes to arrive. 

I havn't tried HotD, as i havn't been into the series. Typing of the Dead was an awesome idea though. 
 I have played Ghost Squad and the two RE shooters. Ghost Squad somehow dosen't feel right, doesn't capture the feel of the arcade one as well as i'd like. The Chronicles games are pretty decent thoguh, except the shaky camera thing making it impossibly hard to hit stuff in Darkside.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@oldschool:  Haha, I never had any hate for the Wii, although I was a bit too quick to dismiss some of the threads/posts from Wii camp as being overly defensive. In light of recent events I see a pattern of trolling or criticism that isn't necessarily always apparent (from staff or otherwise) that isn't balanced by criticism of the other systems.
The system has a lot of great games for it, and that's what I'd much rather talk about at the end of the day.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Shirogane:  I've only seen it in JB Hi-Fi. Maybe they have some kind of exclusivity with Rising Star Games?
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shirogane
@owl_of_minerva said:

" @Shirogane:  I've only seen it in JB Hi-Fi. Maybe they have some kind of exclusivity with Rising Star Games? "

Doubt it, more likely the other stores didn't bother getting more copies in, or the ones at JB didn't sell. 

Neither Fragile Dreams nor Muramasa exist on the EBgames or GAME online database. 

Kinda sad, i really like the post apocalyptic settings of Japanese stuff, instead of the gritty dull dirty western one. 
Except Darksiders, that was nice. Nier is a bit of an inbetween though, and the post apocalyptic-ness is only really storwise, world feels like a seperate fantasy world really.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Shirogane:  You should like Fragile Dreams then - I'm guessing it should still be sitting forlornly at a JB near you. Nier doesn't seem as bad as some people are saying, but some of the changes they made to it for localisation purposes really annoy me and make it of much less interest. When will Square Enix realise that the only people who would buy that game want it to be as close to the Japanese experience as possible?  Instead they go and make the protagonist as hideous as possible because they think we prefer it that way (although looking at Kratos, I can see why).
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shirogane
@owl_of_minerva said:
"@Shirogane:  You should like Fragile Dreams then - I'm guessing it should still be sitting forlornly at a JB near you. Nier doesn't seem as bad as some people are saying, but some of the changes they made to it for localisation purposes really annoy me and make it of much less interest. When will Square Enix realise that the only people who would buy that game want it to be as close to the Japanese experience as possible?  Instead they go and make the protagonist as hideous as possible because they think we prefer it that way (although looking at Kratos, I can see why). "

I'm not sure the Nier thing can be counted as localisation. Considering that both versions got released in Japan, we only get one. I'd like to try out the other version as well though. I do agree though, the protagonist looks pretty bad, but that fits him quite well. The whole sister/daughter difference seems like it would make for quite a different atmosphere, as it was quite central to the story. 
Guess i'll check out Fragile Dreams after i finish Muramasa. JB is always good for harder to find stuff. Cept Persona 4, been looking for a copy of that for my friend for AGES.
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By StrikeALight

Just bought Fragile Dreams. There goes my coffee allowance for the rest of the month.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@StrikeALight:  No coffee? That's a pretty big sacrifice. Hope you enjoy the game, let me know what you think.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#37  Edited By Icemael
@owl_of_minerva said:
"Although Fragile Dreams, much like Fallout, is concerned with the world as we know it in a state of ruin, it is much more aestheticised."
I have to disagree. Fallout 3 is breathtaking. It's one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I've ever played. People who complain that it's brown and grey are, simply put, idiots; they are missing the point. They complain that it's brown and grey because they have, in some misguided attempt to seem like connoisseurs, convinced themselves that because mainstream shooters like Call of Duty and Gears of War -- which, as they also have convinced themselves, nobody of as refined taste as themselves would touch -- are brown and grey, brown and grey are bad colours. 

Brown and grey are not bad colours. On the contrary, they're great colours, and I have seen few games use them quite as effectively as Fallout 3.  

Don't take this as an attempt to disparage Fragile, or even to say that Fallout 3 is better. I haven't played Fragile, or even seen footage of it beyond two or three trailers, so I can't possibly determine which one is superior. What I am saying is that if you're trying to say that Fallout 3 isn't an aesthetic game, you are gravely mistaken. There are few games in which the aesthetics play as big a part as in Fallout 3.
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@i77ogical: The game uses a standard remote + nunchuck setup that works reasonably well for the most part. In Fragile the ir pointer determines where the character is looking, and the nunchuck is for movement. 
@Icemael: I don't disagree with any of this except the suggestion that I am trying to demean Fallout, as I love Fallout 3 and its design. I think there is a valid contrast between the two games though; I'm not saying Fragile's better, just quite different in approach because it uses an anime style with lush and vibrant colours despite the post-apocalyptic theme. It is definitely more aestheticised (although if its design sucked it wouldn't be more aesthetic) than games that have a component of realism. Fallout can be a beautiful game but in a much different way, with the constraints imposed on it by believability.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Meowayne

I have played one and a half hour of Fragile Dreams now. 

There is really not much more for me to do other than agree with what was said. Beautiful game, atmosphere, mood, script and voice work - but ohmygod, what a horrible, horrible game design. I really can't blame reviewers for giving this low scores, I would probably do the same. 

I got the feeling that this was "meant" to be a game with prerendered backgrounds and that many problems arise from the developers inability of programming 3D world controls, combat, interface etc., not to mention the numerous bugs and glitches. 

The combat is unbelievable! :D Does any one know if it is even in any way necessary or serves a greater purpose, story-wise? It feels like they just implemented combat because "hey, it's a videogame and has to have combat in it, eh?" while the game would've been much better off without ANY of the item management, RPG elements and enemies, focusing on the exploration aspect (which is awesome).

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@Meowayne: I read somewhere that the initial idea was to have no combat whasoever, then it got shoehorned in later. At least it's pretty easy, but yeah, it's like almost anything involving the pointer - the perspective is squirrely as hell, but you kind of get used to it. Unfortunately it's the bad bit you have to get through to experience the good bits.
Personally, I put a higher premium on artistic ambition and storytelling, so a game that has those is more deserving of a good score than a polished but soulless game imo. At least it's memorable, right? I hope you aren't regretting your purchase though.
pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pekoe212

I never thought I would buy a Wii, but games like Fragile Dreams finally changed my mind.  Thanks for writing your thoughts on this game, it sounds like something I would enjoy.  My Wii is supposed to arrive tomorrow, unfortunately I forgot about this game and bought other ones with the purchase, will have to pick it up later. When people say combat is 'horrible,' I assume they mean the controls are bad, or that the combat is boring and unchallenging? Those are two different things, although they often come as a pair. I will say that I love a good story more than combat, and I don't mind if controls are fussy if the combat itself is easy enough that I can blast thru it. I am an adventure gamer at heart, not the best at fast-paced combat, although I am working to improve my skills.  I enjoy games like Diablo where you can blast hordes of enemies with a push of a button.  For some reason I find I can do action RPGs but some action games I don't enjoy... not because I don't like the combat but because I find I clench the controller too tightly and always have to stop  when my hands and shoulders have seriously cramped up and it's too painful to keep playing.  Sorry, God of War. :(  I even played Clive Barker's Undying and Max Payne on God Mode and still enjoyed them thoroughly, but that's just me. Undying I think I played thru 3 times, the atmosphere was great.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By owl_of_minerva
@pekoe212:  You can just blast through the combat. The enemies generally don't attack unless you miss outright with your own attack (and some don't seem to attack ever), so you have some time to set up. Also, if you feel the need, enemies respawn in some areas so you can level grind. That the weapons break is a little annoying, but to defend against that just buy extra weapons when you can so you always have an extra.
I don't find the game broken, it's not horrible, but it can be really annoying with camera issues, sluggish turning, and general wii remote shenanigans. Also there's not much challenge, it doesn't add very much to the experience. Going by everything you said though it sounds like it's a game you'd appreciate. Thanks for reading.
pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pekoe212
@owl_of_minerva:  Great, thanks for the detailed info! I will definitely pick this up. Combat sounds tedious (breaking weapons? bleh) but doable.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Meowayne

@owl_of_minerva:

No, I'm enjoying myself! Its just such a pity that a good game is marred heavily by a lack of polish/tacked-on combat/bad code

I mean, one of the main problems in combat is that the character model and camera get in the way of you even seeing the enemies properly, let alone hit em. Wow.