Epic?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think it rhymes with "snoogle".

Certainly highlights the fact that Sony faces some pretty serious challenges when going up against companies with years of experience in data operations and tons of existing infrastructure. If streaming actually takes off, they have a problem.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

Certainly highlights the fact that Sony faces some pretty serious challenges when going up against companies with years of experience in data operations and tons of existing infrastructure. If streaming actually takes off, they have a problem.

I agree, and I think both Microsoft and Sony, while competitors, enjoy themselves as the only real competitors in the space they exist in. This partnership should now give them some menacing weight to throw around for any other big corporation thinking about stepping foot on their turf.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

this some game of thrones shit

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Finally all those servers Microsoft launched into dark space, orbiting earth, computing the destruction in Crackdown 3 multiplayer can be used for something worthwhile.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh great, cloud gaming... can't wait (end sarcasm).

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So how long until the console market finally opens up completely at this point? Microsoft is already coming to Switch, isn't it? Now with this happening it seems kind of inevitable, especially if Google has 'em spooked.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Makes sense, MS along with Apple and Amazon are the only companies to surpass 1 trillion in market cap.

Sony can't compete with that especially with Google now entering the market. Xbox is a tiny part of MS while Playstation is a huge part of Sony, they can't afford as a company to lose any slice of the games pie to new competitors.

This comes off as a necessity for Sony, and just an opportunity for MS.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OurSin_360

xbox will probably become the microsoft (windows) of console gaming infrastructure and slowly leave the console (hardware) market. They are already working with nintendo and have just been working towards convincing Sony they will no longer a competitor. Xbox exclusives will then be on both Sony and Nintendo software, they will supply servers and OS systems for both consoles with hopes to compete with Google as gaming service rather than platform.

This is how i see it playing out anyway, i think it's smart tbh.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shindig

Oooh, I never thought about them transitioning out of the hardware business.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think both Sony and Microsoft see the utility of having a partnership in place as well as R&D in place just in case Alphabet/Google start controlling too much of consent and game streaming. Yet, I would point out that "this is step one" they signed a letter of understanding that COULD lead to a partnership, but as of now NO partnership exists. The press release is clear, "explore strategic partnership" but it goes on to specify they have signed a letter of understanding so far. Moreover, Sony didn't release anything about this themselves. [Pulls collar]...maybe, this is not really a big deal to Sony or not as big a deal as this is to Microsoft.

So, this might go nowhere, or might actually have just a small impact on gaming and streaming.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@frytup said:

I agree, and I think both Microsoft and Sony, while competitors, enjoy themselves as the only real competitors in the space they exist in. This partnership should now give them some menacing weight to throw around for any other big corporation thinking about stepping foot on their turf.

I think they are going to be both combating Google and their new streaming gaming service.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By tds418

Well I for one certainly hope MS doesn't transition out of the hardware space because I shudder the day I need to use a Dualshock over an Xbox controller for my console gaming.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is how Syndicate starts.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

Man, I want this cloud gaming thing to crash and burn so hard that no one ever even mentions it again. I hate the idea. I want to have my stuff on my machine.

And getting ISP's to cooperate with the insane amount of data this will require will be like pulling teeth.

cyrribrae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Well good thing this is MS and Sony, who both have hardware ambitions (and ppl in this thread notwithstanding) that will continue to be funded and supported for some more years at least, rather than Google eh?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@tds418: Funnily enough, I had the opposite thought. If the DualShock were ever to disappear I would be super disappointed. One would hope in the event the two consoles ever merged or whatever that both designs would exist, there’d be no reason for them not to other than launching with a crazy number of SKUs depending on hard drives, pack in games, etc.

But that’s all years and years away, if ever!

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So apparently the Playstation team was blind sided by this announcement. This was a deal between Sony and MS to a point where Sony didn't tell their own gaming division about it lol

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

As 21st century Bobby Shakespeare would say...

A "tech" press releases is but a walking shadow, a poor player,

That struts and frets its hour upon the headlines,

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Misconstrued by idiots, full of sound and fury,

Signifying nothing.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Physical games are not going anywhere. CD's have been around for over 35 years and you can still buy physical music. DVD's have been around for over 20 years and show no sign going away any time soon. Video games are not going to just disappear because they have a new business model. It's not as if digital only games is anything remotely new at all. If streaming music and video won't kill CD's and DVDs, then I highly doubt streaming video games is going to kill the physical game market