Sony changes policy on digital downloads and retailers

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sony is confirming that it won't let third party retailers such as Gamestop sell digital codes for full PS4 games. That means that if you want to buy digital versions of games, it has to go through the Sony playstation store. It seems like you can still buy things like DLC and season passes though. You can also still buy physical copies from retailers. The change goes into effect April 1st, 2019. That's a date where Gamestop stockholder are probably hoping that Sony is just playing an April fool's joke.

As a consumer, I just can't see how this will benefit me at all by taking away an option and then adding nothing in return.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/25/18281538/sony-playstation-4-gamestop-stop-selling-game-download-codes-retailers

reap3r160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't know the specific costs involved, it isn't meant to help you/us as consumers. It's meant to help them and stores as distributors. It costs them and retailers, no matter how small, to print and display all those cards that most people(according to some study done by someone at Sony) don't buy.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I mean....who cares? if you're online and able to redeem these codes then why go to gamestop?

Gooddoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I mean....who cares? if you're online and able to redeem these codes then why go to gamestop?

Well say I want to give someone a digital copy of a game as a gift, or say you want to buy a game digitally without using a credit card. This move takes that option away from folks.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Options are good. There are greater chances of finding a sale, promo, etc. You can pay cash at a store if you want. It’s easier to buy a digital gift.

I don’t think this is the end of the world, but reducing consumer options should be met with healthy skepticism.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@gooddoggy: fair enough, didnt think of that. I did have to use amazon for PSN games when Sony wouldn't take Apo addresses for their store

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

@sahalarious said:

Well say I want to give someone a digital copy of a game as a gift, or say you want to buy a game digitally without using a credit card. This move takes that option away from folks.

Yeah this, the fact you can't gift games on the PS4 store is pretty annoying.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last time i bought a game from a retailer i got a near empty disk around 300mb (wolfenstein the new collosus for pc) With a steam key in it. :D

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think stuff like this is very good to scrutinize. The physical retail market makes gaming more affordable than it otherwise would be, and it helps drive prices down.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't really surprise me. I mean the customer base for going into Gamestop and buying a digital download over a physical copy of a full game would have to be fairly small. While I would agree that Sony needs to follow MS's lead and allow gifting of items on the PSN, you can still buy credits for the PSN network (physical) from many brick-and-mortar retailers and gift those.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By MonkeyKing1969

@gooddoggy said:
@sahalarious said:

I'm going to assume that people will still be able to buy "PSN Gift" cards at Gamestop, Amazon, etc. Sony has no abandoned High Street/Main streets sales, but I'm sure selling codes inside a box is something that want to avoid more and more because ist is a waste of plastic. Literally that are warehousing and shipping empty boxes just so Gamestops and other retailers can put something on a shelf. When you do that for millions of items and those items than are redeemed like anything Sony would sell itself is like subsidizing Gamestops existence. Nevertheless for a cashless expsines yu cna still buy gift cards at many store, pharmacies, supermarkets, etc. As long as those cards exist you can pay for gift cards with bottle returns!

If you do have a credit card, voucher codes that can be bought on PSN and transferred to other people, those funds appear in their PSN wallet when redeemed. These vouchers can be used for PlayStation Plus membership or games from PlayStation Store - it is just wallets funds. I agree that Sony has not advertized or made this system obvious for gift giving, but it IS already in place for an online to online transaction between accounts. One can hope, that with this move, they intend to make it easier and more transparent.