Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

Sony Outlines PS4 Backwards Compatibility on PS5

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Key highlights from Sony’s support page about this include:

PS4 to PS5 Upgrade With Disc Drive

1. Sign in to your existing account on your PS5 console (or create an account).
    2. Insert the eligible PS4 game disc.
    3. Go to the game hub for the PS4 game.
    4. Select the upgrade offer on the game hub and review the upgrade offer.
    5. Select Download (or purchase with the discount price) to download/purchase content.
    6. After the download is complete, you can play the PS5 digital game by inserting the PS4 game disc. You will need to keep the disc inserted each time to play the game.

PS4 to PS5 Upgrade With Digital Copy

1. Sign in to your existing account on your PS5 console.
    2. Find the PS5 game in PlayStation Store, or by Search, and go to the game hub for the PS5 game.
    3. Select the upgrade offer on the game hub and review the upgrade offer.
    4. Select Download (or purchase with the discount price) to download/purchase content.
    5. After the download is complete, you can play the PS5 game.

Please note that the ability to transfer game saves between a PS4 version and a PS5 version of the same game is a developer decision, and will vary title by title for cross-generational games

In terms of PS4 backwards compatibility on the PS5, 99% of PS4 games will work on the PS5. There’s a small list of PS4 games which won’t work.

Certain games will get a PS5 boost. Sucker Punch announced that Ghost of Tsushima will be boosted on the PS5 with faster load times (they’re already pretty good on PS4) as well as 60FPS.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-upgrade-your-ps4-games-to-ps5/1100-6483122/

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/09/ps4-games-on-ps5-your-top-questions-answered/

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice. I've waited to play Ghost Of Tsushima hoping for a better running version on next gen.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3 sweep  Moderator

I feel like the backwards compatibility pretty much sells me a PS5, seeing as I'm still using a Launch PS4 and my whole collection of hundreds of games is digital. For the first few months it's probably going to be exclusively used to play PS4 games. Will be interesting to see the varying performance improvements on the games with notoriously poor FPS like The Last Guardian.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this all seems pretty solid.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool... now if it were only possible to own one.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz said:

6. After the download is complete...You will need to keep the disc inserted each time to play the game.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Arjailer

@petesix0: Why would you expect anything else? Sony's not gonna allow you to share your disc with your mates and give them all a free copy of the game.

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arjailer: Hadn't entered my mind until I read it here. I mean I get the kind of problems with any system that promises "Enter the disc once and we'll honour your loyalty", and I'm in no hurry for people to create a great trash pile of discs. Also tbh PuyoPuyo Tetris has kind of lived in my PS4 drive for a year and a half.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Glad they clarified it. For the longest time I assumed that most PS4 games actually wouldn't be back compat because of that 100 games list or something they talked about. Either way the messaging didn't feel very clear so good to know it's just as easy as on the Xbox.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: I’m in the same boat that I’ve bought digitally, and I’m still working on some of my backlog. The first year of the PS5 is most likely just going to be me working through some games I still need to finish while buying a couple of PS5 games when they’re out.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

When I stopped buying discs, this was part of the hope. As a kid I appreciated the ability to trade games in for other games (or weed money) but as an adult there've been a number of times where I've wished I could just scroll through all the games I've owned or played in my life. That was what made the Library page on my PS4 something I'd just go to and look at from time to time; never in my life did I have more than 10-20 games in my possession at any one time, but there lies 200+ games I can just scan over and think about my time with them (or, with most of the PS+ games, wonder if it's finally time to give them a shot) and my fingers remained crossed all generation I could just download and play those again if I wanted.

For some reason the whole Control situation really shook my confidence in that because I guess I just misunderstood something fundamental about console development. Another assumption I'd made was that the jump from PS4 to PS5 would be more akin to just buying a new graphics card for a PC than it ever had been for console players, and while it does sound like the PS5 will have some features akin to what the PS2 would provide certain PS1 games, any dramatic increases would still have to come from a differently programmed game and thus re-releases and remasters will remain a thing for us. It's better than nothing, though.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nice to know that my PS4 discs will work with the possibility of frame rate improvements. But storage space seems to still be my immortal enemy on consoles. 825GB ain't much to work with when you're used to 8TB.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: at least your ps4 games will continue to work fine on an external drive.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haz: I don't know if anyone has pointed this out but there's confusing typo in the title.

I was like is it compact version of the ps5 or does it mean backwards compatible 😅

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.