• 99 results
Posted by JDP83 (311 posts) 2 months, 23 days ago

Poll: Sorry, Alex. (1412 votes)

Alexy Quest 44%
Mass Alex 21%
Navarro Effect 11%
Chomp my ass 23%

It had to be done. You can guess what my vote is for. :)

#51 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4277 posts) -

@jdp83: But then you didn't include Alex Effect, which we all know is the superior name.

#52 Posted by Captain_Insano (3415 posts) -

Alexy Quest is the best name.

Mass Alex has the most connection to the game.

#53 Posted by MiniPato (3001 posts) -

How come quick looks aren't quick?

#54 Posted by dgtlty (1147 posts) -

They picked the worst possible name and you must live with their mistake

#55 Posted by n00bs7ay3r (317 posts) -

@efesell: Yes. Because he certainly is not questing through a galaxy in this game.

#56 Posted by Efesell (3979 posts) -

@efesell: Yes. Because he certainly is not questing through a galaxy in this game.

Perhaps it will be a perfectly adequate title if ever there's a feature dedicated to random space games again.

#57 Posted by Nev (763 posts) -

Beast in the East was a series about Japanese mythical beasts, right? No? Visual novels involving animals? Yakuza? Ohhhh, I see.

I like Alex Effect, of the names mentioned. Evokes Alex, and the ‘effect’ of his choices in Mass Effect. Mass Alex sounds like a series about Alex bulking up for a boxing match.

#58 Posted by DemiGodRaven (390 posts) -

It's probably a whole lot of graveyard shift tv watching talking here but every time I hear 'Mass Alex' said fast enough I feel like it needs a fast spoken listing of side effects and doctors recommendations that lasts at least a minute.

That said, I'm not partial to series names, so I voted chomp my ass because it's not a poll option I see often.

#59 Posted by wchigo (898 posts) -

I was going to say "Lex Effect" since Mass is one syllable, whereas Alex is two.

#60 Posted by Giant_Gamer (691 posts) -

I don't know why but Mass Navarro sounds better in my head but Alex Effect is the best in my opinion.

@nev: Could Mass Alex be a reference to Alex's balls joke?

#61 Posted by Onemanarmyy (3928 posts) -

All the names are bad. Best effort is Mass Ah-lex, with strecthed vowels to make Alex have a similar cadence as Effect.

#62 Edited by lead_dispencer (531 posts) -

Mass Alex is bad. I can understand why some of you don’t like alexy quest.

I think Navarro effect is the best. You could always do commander Navarro or something.

Also. Those who are offended (for some unknown reason) about the title alaxy quest, the exquisite corps didn’t have anything to do with xcom. Xcom isn’t in the title and exquisite Corps is kind of generic. So Why so much negativity for such a dumb debate on a title.

Ps. They won’t change the title unless one of you donate a billion dollars

#63 Edited by ValJean9430 (187 posts) -

Quite a history of feature titles on GB that have no mention of the game title but instead reference the material of the game.

Murder Island (Pubg)

Who’s the Big Boss (Metal Gear)

Million Dollar Abby (Punchout)

The Exquisite Corps (XCOM)

Blue Bombin (Megaman)

Beast in the East (Yakuza)

Project BEAST (Kerbal)

Although there are several examples of features that do.

Kingdom Heartache

Mario Party Party

Steal My Sunshine

Metal Gear Scanlon

Whatever style you prefer is subjective, but objectively “Mass Alex” rolls off the tongue with the grace of a square wheel.

Alexy Quest is great because

1. It is a pleasure to pronounce

2. It re-binds the neurons that associate this pattern of tones to GB from Tim Allen.

3. It uses Alex as an adjective. I will always look forward to watching a video of a quest described as “Alexy”, whether it is Mass Effect or Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy or Persona.

#64 Posted by JJWeatherman (15079 posts) -

I like that Alexy Quest mock up and the intended joking nature of this thread.

I do not like the vast majority of replies taking this all way too seriously. Please stop. You know what's fun? Watching cool videos about awesome games. You know what's a huge waste of everyone's time? Debating the merits of the titles of those videos.

#65 Posted by MostlySquares (298 posts) -

The fact that the name angers so many makes me happy.

#66 Posted by dudeglove (13567 posts) -

Massalyx is my favorite pokemon

#67 Edited by hermes (2558 posts) -

I think Mass Alex is not a good name. I much rather prefer Alex Effect or Navarro Effect.

Alexy Quest sounds nice, but I can see that it having nothing to do with the game would be a negative. It doesn't work for the same reason I think "Mass Alex" is a bad name: it accentuate to wrong part of the title: In the case of Mass Alex its "mass", which tells us very little about the feature; with "alexy quest" is "quest", which is too generic a term and could apply to a lot of different games (let alone that is not related to the game, but to a cult movie), but... at the end of the day, is still the best title.

#68 Posted by burncoat (510 posts) -

@jjweatherman: Yeah I came into this thread thinking it'd be the equivalent of the "is a hotdog a sandwich" question but people are taking it way too seriously.

#69 Posted by WillyOD (348 posts) -

Never give up, Alex, never surrender, Vinny!

#70 Posted by fetchfox (1731 posts) -

Alexy Quest is a better name, but Mass Alex is a better name for this series. It's silly good, just like Alex.

#71 Edited by JDP83 (311 posts) -

@valjean9430 said:

Quite a history of feature titles on GB that have no mention of the game title but instead reference the material of the game.

Murder Island (Pubg)

Who’s the Big Boss (Metal Gear)

Million Dollar Abby (Punchout)

The Exquisite Corps (XCOM)

Blue Bombin (Megaman)

Beast in the East (Yakuza)

Project BEAST (Kerbal)

Although there are several examples of features that do.

Kingdom Heartache

Mario Party Party

Steal My Sunshine

Metal Gear Scanlon

Whatever style you prefer is subjective, but objectively “Mass Alex” rolls off the tongue with the grace of a square wheel.

Alexy Quest is great because

1. It is a pleasure to pronounce

2. It re-binds the neurons that associate this pattern of tones to GB from Tim Allen.

3. It uses Alex as an adjective. I will always look forward to watching a video of a quest described as “Alexy”, whether it is Mass Effect or Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy or Persona.

That's some sound science duder. :)

Agreed with the precedent point made about how Giant Bomb has done both fun movie / show nod / pop-culture refs in the past.

And though I understand anyone's hesitation to be associated with any Tim Allen project, let's not forget that he was chosen not because he's a great actor, but because he encompassed the same sort of narcissistic character Shatner was when playing Kirk in the original Star Trek.

Also, Galaxy Quest is an awesome movie and has some of my favorite other actors of all time in it - Alan Rickman, Sigourney Weaver, Tony Shaloub, and Sam Rockwell... so though this is being done in jest per the funny argument Alex had with the rest of the Beast crew on Friday, I do kind of agree with what Dan said. "AlexyQuest" would have been better. It pronounces more in-line with Alex's name, rolls off the tongue, and continues GB's history of goofy "TV show / movie + duder name" trope they've done for years.

In any case - whatever the name of this feature is - I'll definitely keep watching.

Alex and Vinny going through Mass Effect remains highly entertaining. :)

#72 Posted by HansBak (26 posts) -

Mass Alex is cool

#73 Posted by uhtaree (944 posts) -

The name! My OCD!

#74 Posted by liquiddragon (3109 posts) -

Navarro 7

#75 Posted by Tikicobra (592 posts) -

@frytup: It’s a game set in space and Alex is playing it. Anyone who watches two seconds of the video(or even looks at the thumbnail) will see that it’s Mass Effect. I would argue that “Alexy Quest” is a more descriptive title because it evokes sci-fi space imagery in my mind, whereas “Mass Alex” tells me nothing and doesn’t sound good.

#76 Posted by frytup (1153 posts) -

@frytup: It’s a game set in space and Alex is playing it. Anyone who watches two seconds of the video(or even looks at the thumbnail) will see that it’s Mass Effect. I would argue that “Alexy Quest” is a more descriptive title because it evokes sci-fi space imagery in my mind, whereas “Mass Alex” tells me nothing and doesn’t sound good.

I would say that's a bizarre argument. "Mass Alex" very clearly tells you what game series they're playing.

That said, at this point I'd happily dump Mass Alex in favor of "Chomp My Mass" as it accurately describes my level of interest in this debate.

#77 Posted by lyisa (486 posts) -

I like Alex Effect more than Mass Alex.

#78 Posted by PoorTommy (228 posts) -

I like Alexy Quest quite a bit, but I also love Alex not budging an inch on the name MASS ALEX

#79 Edited by Inresurrection (459 posts) -
@mostlysquares said:

The fact that the name angers so many makes me happy.

Ditto. I like to think this is where Alex stands on the matter, too. If the name of this series truly bothers you, take it as a sign for a moment of self-reflection.

#81 Posted by n00bs7ay3r (317 posts) -

@inresurrection: You realize the "anger" is just for fun. I doubt very many people are actually upset about the name.

#82 Edited by Phraxic (104 posts) -

I've turned around a bit on Mass Ah-lex and it's fine. I don't know how or where Alexy Quest came from but you guys are wrong thinking it's better, bunch of crazies. Alexy Quest sounds like some weird jrpg that would be on the DS or something.

#84 Posted by JohnyMyko (1773 posts) -

Alexy Quest is a bad name and it doesn't make any sense to use it as a title for a Mass Effect playthrough.

Mass Alex isn't great either, but it's still lightyears ahead better than Alexy Quest.

#85 Posted by n00bs7ay3r (317 posts) -

I assume people who don't get Alexy Quest are not aware of the movie Galaxy Quest.

#86 Posted by Batavist (74 posts) -

"My name is Mass Alex"

#87 Posted by ottoman673 (1247 posts) -

Mass Alex is fine.

#88 Posted by JohnyMyko (1773 posts) -

I assume people who don't get Alexy Quest are not aware of the movie Galaxy Quest.

I'm aware of it and still think Alexy Quest is an awful name for a Mass Effect feature.

#89 Posted by lylebot (135 posts) -

I am aware of and have enjoyed Galaxy Quest on more than one occasion, but I didn't get "Alexy Quest" until it was explained in this thread. I thought it was a Sierra adventure game reference, but I couldn't understand why or to what exactly it was referring. (Maybe that shows my age? But those Sierra games aren't *that* much older than Galaxy Quest.)

#90 Posted by The_Ruiner (1757 posts) -
#91 Posted by htr10 (984 posts) -

You guys still doing this, huh?

#92 Posted by Datajack (152 posts) -

I’d say just save Alexey Quest for the inevitable relaunch of a remastered release of Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 and with Alex at the helm.