Sounds like Hitman 3 is coming down the pipe

#1 Posted by Rorie (5867 posts) -

That's according to IGN courtesy of one Danny O'Dwyer.

In a new episode of the NoClip video game documentary, host Danny O’Dwyer visited IO Interactive’s office in Copenhagen to find out how the studio was able to survive a dramatic 2017 where parent company Square Enix tried to sell the studio.

“Hitman is a trilogy. There’s a bright future – there’s this full realization of the whole World of Assassination that we’re looking towards as well,” Abrak says. “The World of Assassination, when that’s complete, it’s going to be one game with all the locations starting from Paris in Hitman to the last location in Hitman 3.”

While this isn’t a confirmation that Hitman 3 is in active development, Abrak and O’Dwyer speak freely about a third Hitman game towards the end of the episode, signaling that it’s at least in the cards for IO Interactive. But first there’s the matter of a new IP.

“The majority of the studio, at least here in Copenhagen, is working on something secret, and rather excitingly, something new,” O’Dwyer says. “We are still very much independent. We are looking into the future with new things, potentially new IPs that we might be working on,” Abrak adds.

So I guess it'll be a few years before Hitman 3 comes along, but it's at least a good sign that Hitman 2 is doing well enough to make IO confident that they'll be able to turn it all into a trilogy. I guess that'll also depend on how well the new IP does as it seems like every huge expenditure like that is kind of a make or break decision for a smaller developer like IO.

Staff
#2 Edited by glots (4380 posts) -

I think I'm very fine with the idea of them going episodic again, because that definitely kept the "first" game on my plate for a lot longer, unlike Hitman 2. It would of course be ideal, if they could keep to a strict "one episode every month/second month" schedule.

I'm also glad that they're working on other stuff too, even if that "something new" probably isn't the Freedom Fighters revival people are so thirsty for.

#3 Edited by BoOzak (2645 posts) -

I thought it was a bit weird that they were referring to the first Hitman internally as "Netflix Hitman" when Netflix seem to dump entire seasons all at once. (at least with their original programming) I get the sentiment behind it though.

I'll play Hitman 3, i'm more interested in this new game they're working on though, to be honest.

#4 Posted by Shiftygism (1060 posts) -

I wish they would just add platinum trophies to the first two. All that checklist gameplay and nothing to work towards.

#5 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8925 posts) -

I think the lede here is that IO is making a new IP. Look, I love Hitman, but more attention to new IPs might actually encourage them.

#6 Posted by notnert427 (2289 posts) -

Yes! Great news. HITMAN and HITMAN 2 are amazing games, and I was legitimately worried about how HITMAN 2 was doing sales-wise for them, despite its quality. I've been wondering about their financial viability since the Square split, so it's good to hear that the WB partnership is apparently working out. I'm curious about the new IP and hope it becomes something that really takes off for them so they can keep making HITMAN games forever, but I'm really just thrilled that 3 is in the works. Glad to see GB's resident European sports expert giving us the news we want to hear.

#7 Posted by csl316 (14999 posts) -

That video just made me wany to root for these folks.

Unfortunately, now I feel like I should just wait til Hitman 3 before I actually buy one of these games. In an ideal world, they would've just started with Hitman and kept releasing seasons instead of separate games (like I hoped Destiny would, just build off one executable). Business and technical realities are what they are, though.

In any case, these games rule and I love watching GB play through them. Which is funny, because 3 or 4 videos in I was like "stooooop with the Hitman already!" Took me awhile to realize it was something special.

#8 Posted by liquiddragon (3526 posts) -

I would like to see a greatest hits collection of Hitman missions recreated in the modern engine.

#9 Posted by Lionsy (130 posts) -

I would like to see a greatest hits collection of Hitman missions recreated in the modern engine.

That would be wonderful! Or at least the maps with the missions recreated in Hitman 2

I bought Hitman when it came out ('99?) and it was great, I definitely got Silent Assassin and Contracts, but I couldn't describe any of the missions it was so long ago - But Blood Money I remember all of them, perhaps because it wasn't so long ago!

I'm sure it's not what people want to hear, but I'd pay full price for a remake of Bloody Money in the new engine, that game was the highlight of the franchise, nothing has matched it yet. Hitman (the original) was fantastic but it was clunky.

#10 Posted by Humanity (18933 posts) -

As a long standing Hitman fan I got all the masteries in Hitman yet somehow never really felt compelled to buy Hitman 2 for whatever reason. I think it's because unlike past games where I could expect a whole new package, Hitman 2 feels like an expanded mission pack.. but it's a whole new game. I keep saying I'll wait for a sale and then never pick it up.

#11 Posted by SanderJK (58 posts) -

I love Hitman and I love Hitman 2. But Hitman 2 came a bit too fast for me.... I enjoyed spending maybe 3 hours per level, and it's still very fun, but I had 0 interest in the grind of all the challenges and levels for unlocks.

I think a different IP release and then come back after 3 or 4 years, maybe on next gen consoles to allow even more crazy simulation, sounds fairly ideal.

I do wonder how Hitman 2 did though. I felt it had way less presence than 1.

#12 Edited by NTM (11871 posts) -

But... But... Freedom Fighters. Come on. Heck, by now I wouldn't mind a remaster of it. Same game, new engine (current engine they use for Hitman). I'd be okay with that. Maybe a few updates to modernize it of course, mainly how well A.I. might react, or animations; controls. I still think Freedom Fighters, even today, is a great game. Not too hyped for more Hitman.