Space Sim with minimal/easy combat?

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 9cupsoftea

I like the exploration and expansion side of space sims but most that I've tried seem to have shitty, clunky combat. Ur Quan Masters, Master of Orion 2, Flotilla, and Space Rangers 2 were all great until I found myself in boring space battles (that I usually lost). I really like Noctis IV since it's all about exploration, but it's a bit of a limited and old game now, which is also tough to run.

Any suggestions? Should I go even deeper into the past and try something like Elite?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tried the X3 games? Bit of a learning curve from what I hear, but it's much more based around the economy aspect than the combat aspect too I believe.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 9cupsoftea

@Khann: Yeah, anything I google inevitably turns up X3 and Freelancer, but they do seem to me to have a lot of combat. Maybe I'll watch some videos though to be sure.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JaredA

Evochron Mercenary, maybe. It sounds like the game you want. They have a quick look of it if you want to check it out.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By crusader8463

Faster Than Light. It's more of a rogue like of you being a ship captain then a space sim, but it has pretty simple yet deep combat.

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By limpbishop
Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Gargantuan

X3 is good, I spent 20 hours just trading and doing non-violent missions before buying a combat ship.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AiurFlux

X3 is probably the best one if you want an actual game. It has an incredibly high learning curve though. The economics of it can push you, but flying around Saturn or Neptune is just cool. It's cool.

However if I feel like getting spacey I fire Space Engine and go anywhere I want in the universe. Saturn? Sure. VY Canis Majoris? No problem. The Andromeda Galaxy? Done. It isn't a game, but the feeling of having absolutely everything at your fingertips is amazing. The only problem is you need a supercomputer to play it, but consider that everything is procedurally created and you can travel the surface of planets it's worth it. Some of the shit you see is inspiring.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SlashDance

@AiurFlux: Could not agree more on Space Engine.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 9cupsoftea

My computer isn't great so I'm hesitant about space engine. X3 seems pretty good but it does seem to involve quite a lot of combat. I'll give it a try though, thanks.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By JasonR86
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Might be worth keeping an eye on Rodina and Notch's 0x10c. They're both obviously indie games, but they're focused much more on making space exploration/customisation games.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#13  Edited By D_W
Starflight for the Genesis. Just don't use a walkthrough.
narficacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By narficacid

@JasonR86: I also came in here to say Darkstar One. There is a fair amount of combat, but as long as you simply follow the story it's really simple stuff.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Deleth

@9cupsoftea said:

My computer isn't great so I'm hesitant about space engine. X3 seems pretty good but it does seem to involve quite a lot of combat. I'll give it a try though, thanks.

No, not really. You're not forced to do combat for the most part and can pretty much instantly go to free roaming sandbox game. If you trade enough illegal goods even most pirates will eventually come around and have a friendly stance towards you. The only always hostile force as of now are the Xenon (and in Reununion + TC Khaak) and those only show up in their own sectors and one "migration routes" from on sector to another but are mostly taken care of by the race military.

The only part where you're forced to engage in combat is when doing the plots because at least part of them is made up by fighting missions.

Also "X3" is actually three games as of now. X3 Reunion the first, X3 Terran Conflict the second and X3 Albion Prelude. Personally I'd recommend Terran Conflict because there is no war between the Argon and Terrans and the game feels "most balances" while giving you a lot of options thus as eventually owning your own sector.

Though you have the Khaak as enemy in X3 TC, they're most of the time a non issue in the core/safer sectors though.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AiurFlux

@9cupsoftea said:

Well even if you can't play it I can leave you with this, narrated by the great Carl Sagan.

Whoever did that made 1 hour of thought provoking beauty. Hearing Sagan say it is one thing. Seeing the galactic super-clusters spread out before you while he says it is entirely another.