Splinter cell will modernize...

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I personally don't think this is a bad thing and seems in tune with the original series. The cell series always dealt with modern or futuristic possible pseudo wars or actions that could happen...sorta.

That said, I see this is very controversial online, guessing due to the current bandwagon of people opposed to any topics or things dealing with politics. Sigh. So what is the stance...does the new splinter cell sound good to splinter cell fans. Are they going in the wrong direction? Is it code as the internet says, for changing like the change saint row 4 did to saints row 2022? Personally fine regardless of the tone, just confident the game will be good, not much stealth game competition now that I'm guessing MGS is in the toilet.

It's free real estate people, make a stealth game.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With Ubisoft, I'm not sure how often it's "people are pissed that they're doing politics" as much as it is "people are pissed that they're disingenuously doing politics."

This is the company that really wanted to push the BLM=Globalist Plot narrative in one of their "apolitical" games, but repeatedly plays the "BOTH SIDES!" card whenever criticized. I think people are sick and tired of bullshit equivocating in this day-and-age. To say nothing of continuing to use their profits to shield serial harrassers/assaulters from anything resembling consequences, and output of perfectly fine, but not exactly groundbreaking titles, I'm not sure they automatically DESERVE praise and hype just for dusting off another "geezer pleaser" game.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those who like me don't know what this is referring to, apparently the next Splinter Cell will be a remake of the first and they are hiring a writer to retool the original story to better suit a "modern audience".

I didn't play the original game i jumped in at Chaos Theory, but a quick read of the plot reveals to me some key reasons why they might want to change the story, America inserting agents into countries bordering Russia, a maniacal dictator who has taken over Georgia enacting ethnic cleansing on Azerbaijan, a cyber attack on the US coming from a Chinese embassy in Myanmar, which borders both China and Thailand, in the midst of all this a nuclear bomb is planted in the US.

20 years ago this was all fair game, Tom Clancy wrote many books involving the Kremlin, James Bond was still fighting the KGB and North Korea instead of the executives and secret organisations he faces these days, times have changed... especially recently, everyone's cautious about making games that might reference real events, even Nintendo isn't releasing Advanced Wars because it's somewhat war related, Call of Duty 4 took place in Russia with one of its most memorable moments occuring in Pripyat Ukraine, by comparison its 2019 reboot takes place in the fictional Urzikstan but i wouldn't be surprised if even that story would have been modified by recent events.

I don't think they're "updating" it to abide by expectations of a modern audience as much as they're just trying to avoid controversy, modifying parts that might prevent the game from being sold in those countries, trying not to receive even more backlash from the internet. I don't blame them, it is sad politics in games is such a taboo, but i don't think the specifics of the story in the first Splinter Cell are what people hold dear about that game anyway, maybe i'm wrong.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No use worrying about any of the politics they'll contort themselves into a pretzel to make sure that it never actually says anything.

Cloudleet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I got 50 bucks saying there's gonna be night-vision goggles in this, who wants in on the action?

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudleet: Its gotta specifically be the kind that go "TPnnnnnnnnnnnn.." when you switch em on though

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By BladeOfCreation

So will Sam Fisher not have the so-called "Fifth Freedom" in this game? Will part of the plot focus on Sam Fisher observing reasonable RoE, lest he be prosecuted for war crimes?

(That said, if they do something like let Sam Fisher go wild and kill war criminals on his own, I'd be down for that. What? It's not like Henry Kissinger is actually dying any time soon, and video games are escapist fantasy.)

@cikame said:

a maniacal dictator who has taken over Georgia enacting ethnic cleansing on Azerbaijan,

That is one hell of a plot point as Azeri forces are currently engaged in ongoing war crimes in Armenia.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm okay with modernization, I'm just not okay with how the conversation typically devolves into "Oh no, they're going to make Sam okay with gay stuff and give him purple hair!?". It's beyond grating at this point, and I hate listening to people who think the pinnacle of political commentary in art is "Oh they gave that one Lady a girlfriend and they KISS at one point".

I'm just so tired watching people debate things they have either zero understanding or skin in, I hate a game failing being left at the feet of "Woke" like it's some kind of magical umbrella and negatively impacts everything in a game from design to QA. At this point I would rather they just make this remake, release it and just not discuss small details of what they plan on doing with its story. I'm just so tired, it's eating away at me at this point and personally I think it would be better if everyone just shut up for a while.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t remember anything about the story that the first game tried to tell. Or the second one. Or the third one. Or the ones after.

So yeah, do whatever you want with the story. As long as it’ll be fun to play and the shadows look real nice, I’ll be content.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'd rather they just make a new game than remake one. Conviction was a great time, and I enjoyed what I played of Blacklist; bring that era of SC back and change it up in new ways instead of just remaking the original into something unrecognizable. I'd rather a return to original SC be the same story/VO and whatnot with just updated controls and graphics.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AV_Gamer

The story was never a huge deal in Splinter Cell games, especially the earlier ones. The games were mostly set in a Clancey political backdrop to justify Sam Fisher going Fifth Freedom on everyone. It's not until Conviction and Blacklist that the storyline became more focused on, because of the plot twist with Grimsdaughter among other things, and even then, they story never reached Metal Gear Solid status. As far as Sam Fisher goes, Ubisoft would be foolish to suddenly change his character into something completely off putting. Especially, since sexual tensions were growing between him and Grimsdaughter and by Blacklist had will they or won't they vibes. All Ubisoft has to do is make a solid game in the series, secure the voice of Michael Ironside if available, I'd image he is quite old now, or find someone who can sound as close as possible to him. But this is Ubisoft we're talking about. They seem to go out of their way to screw things up these days. So, we'll just have to wait and see when the final game comes out.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cikame
@av_gamer said:

The story was never a huge deal in Splinter Cell games, especially the earlier ones.

I wasn't sure if others would share that thought with me since i only had my experience of certain games in the series to go off.

I've played through Chaos Theory about 6 times and the only things i remember are Grimm mentioning wi-fi and Sam replying "you're saying that to a guy from the era of hi-fi", and funny guards saying "HUGO LACERDA!", i can't remember what happens to Hugo Lacerda, i assume i killed him?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

With Ubisoft, I'm not sure how often it's "people are pissed that they're doing politics" as much as it is "people are pissed that they're disingenuously doing politics."

This is the company that really wanted to push the BLM=Globalist Plot narrative in one of their "apolitical" games, but repeatedly plays the "BOTH SIDES!" card whenever criticized. I think people are sick and tired of bullshit equivocating in this day-and-age. To say nothing of continuing to use their profits to shield serial harrassers/assaulters from anything resembling consequences, and output of perfectly fine, but not exactly groundbreaking titles, I'm not sure they automatically DESERVE praise and hype just for dusting off another "geezer pleaser" game.

^ You nailed it. The only thing more played-out than the plot to an Ubisoft game, is a 60 year old action hero in a Hollywood film.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 15

Guess it's just another "whatever the fuck that means" moment...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I remember is Splinter Cell had Georgia as the bad guys, the 2004 Olympics were delayed and there was a Playstation-exclusive snow level.