Spoilers in wiki descriptions?

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DaveF

Are we allowed to put spoilers in the wiki pages? Or is it meant to be more of a general overview of something, so somebody who hasn't played a game won't have it spoilt by checking out a wiki page?

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By banksrob

i think it would be unfair to place spoilers within the page, however i do not make the rules so i do not know

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DaveF

Yea I was thinking that. Although wouldnt writing SPOILER all over the page look a little messy?
Maybe if you put a general description at the top, then under headings more in detail stuff?
For example, if I'm doing a description of Solid Snake, I could say he is a stealth expert etc at the top, then under headings for each game, put more detail about what he did in each game? Becuase if you don't want a game spoiled, you probably shouldn't be reading a description of a that game.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Why_So_Serious

If you were to do that, I would recommend not to, then make sure they are clearly stated.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By pyromaniac
DaveF said:
"Are we allowed to put spoilers in the wiki pages? Or is it meant to be more of a general overview of something, so somebody who hasn't played a game won't have it spoilt by checking out a wiki page?
"
Thats a very good question, I think you can add spoilers to a certain extent. I wouldn't go all out with the spoilers.
packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By packfan104l4

It'd be nice to have a "spolier" highlight option where you can mouse over to reveal the text instead of SPOILER written everywhere.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DaveF
Packfan104L4 said:
"It'd be nice to have a "spolier" highlight option where you can mouse over to reveal the text instead of SPOILER written everywhere.
"
Yea I agree. Maybe for now spoilers should be left out until there is an official word on it then i suppose
Avatar image for alexisstillathreat
AlexIsStillAThreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think that if a game has been out for a year.....or the information for an upcoming game's plot is on wikipedia it's ok - but yeah i don't know for sure

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaveF
AlexIsStillAThreat said:
"i think that if a game has been out for a year.....or the information for an upcoming game's plot is on wikipedia it's ok - but yeah i don't know for sure
"
Yea but for example, MGS4's story is on wikipedia I think. But I dunno if that should be put on here in detail?
Met2609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Met2609

If you use a spoiler warning, I think it will be OK, but if you're going to post spoilers, you might as well post the whole damn story to the game: a full synopsis. Think about how in depth you want to be before you start your post, because you may have to be later.

kratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By kratos

I think it is fine as long as they are marked spoilers.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I'd be fine with it as long as there was a warning.

khit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By khit

Yep, as long as they're marked it should be fine.

theycallmeryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By theycallmeryan
banksrob said:
"i think it would be unfair to place spoilers within the page, however i do not make the rules so i do not know
"
Agreed.
Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

At least include ***SPOILER WARNING***** or something
They could put simple HTML code in that would allow you to have a spoiler section of text. Where it covers the text in black and you can only read it when you highlight it with the mouse.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Termite

Yeah, people would go to the solid snake page and accidently read the spoilers and scream in horror

So I don't think spoilers should be in those wikis

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By zitosilva

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. What I think is, if we put the *SPOILERS* on every single part the text is going to look awful. I think it would be better just to mention at the begining of the article something like: "The following article may contain spoilers related to (insert whatever here). Read it at your own risk (or discretion or whatever). I think that like this it'd work.

SmAsH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By SmAsH
DaveF said:
"Are we allowed to put spoilers in the wiki pages? Or is it meant to be more of a general overview of something, so somebody who hasn't played a game won't have it spoilt by checking out a wiki page?
"
I think there should be spoiler tags, sort of hiding it until someone highlights or clicks a little "Spoiler Button" and it expands with the Plot.
DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DaveF
zitosilva said:
"Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. What I think is, if we put the *SPOILERS* on every single part the text is going to look awful. I think it would be better just to mention at the begining of the article something like: "The following article may contain spoilers related to (insert whatever here). Read it at your own risk (or discretion or whatever). I think that like this it'd work.
"
That's what I was thinking. But then, pretty much every page would have that message at the top, sort of making it redundant. There should be some sort of convention though, like anything with a title doesn't have spoilers, and anything with a sub-title does include spoilers.
At least until a  tag thing it created so you have to click to access spoilers.
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By zitosilva
DaveF said:
"zitosilva said:
"Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. What I think is, if we put the *SPOILERS* on every single part the text is going to look awful. I think it would be better just to mention at the begining of the article something like: "The following article may contain spoilers related to (insert whatever here). Read it at your own risk (or discretion or whatever). I think that like this it'd work.
"
That's what I was thinking. But then, pretty much every page would have that message at the top, sort of making it redundant. There should be some sort of convention though, like anything with a title doesn't have spoilers, and anything with a sub-title does include spoilers.
At least until a  tag thing it created so you have to click to access spoilers.
"
Yeah, I guess you're right. Problem is, it's hard to tell, for example, the story of a character without giving much away.
I mean, almost every RPG will be "****** is a young man who lives peacefuly and dreams to see the world".
Leone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Leone

I know that as a courtesy, I don't talk about the plot beyond opinion of it in a review I write, and of the few overviews I've queued as edits, I try to do the same (without the opinion, of course). I'll basically talk about what you'd know reading the instruction manual and it is up to others to talk about the plot in greater detail.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaveF

I can see the point about just going into basics on a game page. But what if it's a character page? Surely you would only click on there to maybe find what game they're in and to read about what they've done.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By tec3297

No one wants spoilers in the wiki descriptions, just use common sense.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolswor

Too bad if you don't put some small amount of spoilers in it every wiki will be the same, "a generic hero goes out to do stuff..while other people don't want him to."

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DaveF
Wolswor said:
"Too bad if you don't put some small amount of spoilers in it every wiki will be the same, "a generic hero goes out to do stuff..while other people don't want him to."
"
That's what prompted me to ask this question. I can understand not putting spoilers in game wiki pages, but really if you're looking for more info on a character or location, don't you want a certain amount of spoilers on their page?
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Absurd

It would be nice if people would just put some sort of spoiler warning in their descriptions.

Kloreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kloreep

I agree that spoilers should be left off game pages, as people who have not played them will be coming through to get general info & reviews. However, I think they're fair game on character, concept, etc. pages, especially since, as others have said, there will be little to put into them if everything is to be kept spoiler-free.

Tags would be nice, but I think it would work pretty well to just put a "SPOILER WARNING!" at the top of the blurb box. It should catch eyes easily there. If necessary, the first paragraph of the full article could outline what games are being spoiled? Another thing to consider along those lines is to try to write the article to go as far as possible before the spoilers begin, so that they aren't at the top of the page and might not even be visible without scrolling down.

JackBonneham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By JackBonneham

If the game is somewhat obscure and quite old then I think it would be acceptable, provided you clearly mark where the spoilers are, maybe a plot synopsis, and a separate In depth plot heading could be used

Txheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Txheat

I think you can put it just to give the new player the extent of the universe but not like the end of the game.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By epic_pets

Not major spoilers.

Jabberwocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jabberwocked

I totally agree on the opinion of  game-pages to be spoiler free. Spoilers can easily be avoided because the general outlines of a game are enough on such pages. On the other hand, characters cannot be spoiler-free. Some characters reveal themselves in their true froms later on in games, and i think these should be described (like we all know from MGS games). Although it would be nice if GB could implement something that will let you automatically avoid spoilers based on your finished games. What i mean is something like the MGS database, which doesn't let you read MGS4 spoilers if you haven't finished the game. I think the frame-work of GB can support this (although difficult to keep up to date), and imho it would make for a better wiki-experience.

Toriko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By Toriko

I don't think so, I think the wiki should be more just an overview of the game and a general look at the story. No details.

Jabberwocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jabberwocked

So how do you propose a character that reveals its true form later on in the game should be described? Describing him in his disguise won't do, since then you cannot link them correctly to each game, and duplicates of the same character are just redundant.

Shame i cannot give examples without spoilers :P