Spontaneous Daggerfall gameplay about to happen

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By louiedog

Dave just tweeted that he and Vinny are streaming Daggerfall gameplay in a couple of minutes

http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

edit: Well, looks like they added it to the front page and it's members only. I guess this heads up wasn't needed.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

What what what? Isn't it illegal for them to make money off of streaming a game like that?

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Rave

it just got taken down from the front page weird

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeeGee

@crusader8463: They've released Daggerfall as a free to download game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

Paid members :(

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Mrsignerman44

Paid members only? That's pretty stupid. 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By weltal

Awesome.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeeGee

@Mrsignerman44:Just because you aren't a member it doesn't mean that member events are stupid.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Emilio
@DeeGee said:

@Mrsignerman44:Just because you aren't a member it doesn't mean that member events are stupid.

I thought signing up to this website all those years ago meant being GiantBomb member. 

I guess not :(
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeeGee

@Emilio: Member? Heck, you're barely even a person. It costs cold hard cash to join the ranks of the living =(

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mrsignerman44
@DeeGee said:

I never said that the event was stupid, in fact I was pretty interested. The fact that I need to pay to see a "Let's play" is stupid.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Emilio
@DeeGee said:

@Emilio: Member? Heck, you're barely even a person. It costs cold hard cash to join the ranks of the living =(

:( Someday...
VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By VooDooPC

When I opened Giant Bomb I was signed out, which happens sometimes. I saw the Elder Scrolls thing and I clicked it, it said members only. I signed in and for the life of me, couldn't find it anywhere. I had to sign out, look at the link, then sign back in and put the link in my browser.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Soooo, is this the new ER? I heard rumours that they were making that members-only as well.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crusader8463
@DeeGee said:

That doesn't mean it's legal to make money off people watching them play it. It just means it's free to play.
Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

@crusader8463 said:

@DeeGee said:

That doesn't mean it's legal to make money off people watching them play it. It just means it's free to play.

I doubt they're making money off of it, I would guarantee everyone watching was a subscriber before the stream started.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Abyssfull:

No, it's something they did because they were bored.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

@crusader8463 said:

@DeeGee said:

Given that it's only available to those that have already paid, they're not making money directly off of it.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Anund

They obviously make money off everything they do, that is how they can run the site. If it as illegal for them to make money off showing video game footage, there would be no Giant Bomb. Nor any other video game website.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crusader8463
@fenixREVOLUTION said:

@crusader8463 said:

@DeeGee said:

I doubt they're making money off of it, I would guarantee everyone watching was a subscriber before the stream started.

@Hailinel said:

@crusader8463 said:

@DeeGee said:

Given that it's only available to those that have already paid, they're not making money directly off of it.

Doesn't matter. It's no different then a torrent site charging people to access the torrents. You have to have paid to gain access to this. Whether or not it directly influences someone to subscribe and make them money doesn't matter. They have put content behind a pay wall that doesn't belong to them and they don't have the rights to it; to the best of my knowledge anyway. It would be like them streaming a movie that only paid members could access.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KarlPilkington

@crusader8463: I think you are taking the whole thing a little too seriously.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dallas_Raines

They've streamed plenty of games on the Happy Hour before.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Slaker117
@crusader8463: Streaming a movie and streaming footage of a video game are very different things. Also, it's kind of what half the website is based on, I don't understand what would make this occurrence stand out to you specifically. They've been doing Quick Looks for years, and while those are free it's still done for the benefit of the site, a business. Pay wall or not, that would have been illegal by your (incorrect) logic, as GB has never been a non-profit organization.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By august

@crusader8463: Are you feeling alright? Maybe you should go outside and walk around for a while.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Damn it! I just had to mow my lawn. Hoped it's archived :(

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#26  Edited By fistfulofmetal

The fucking Skeleton scream is going to haunt my nightmares for a very long time.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By 234r2we232

Ah. So Quicklook Throwbacks are now only for people who pay. That's totally not going against what they originally said about not taking away existing free stuff or anything...

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#28  Edited By fistfulofmetal

@sofacitysweetheart said:

Ah. So Quicklook Throwbacks are now only for people who pay. That's totally not going against what they originally said about not taking away existing free stuff or anything...

nobody has said that. it wasn't labeled a quicklook in any context.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KarlPilkington

Ah. So Quicklook Throwbacks are now only for people who pay. That's totally not going against what they originally said about not taking away existing free stuff or anything...

It was a spontaneous thing I think. Not sure if it's a Quicklook Throwback.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dallas_Raines

It was also two hours long, not really a quick look.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By 234r2we232
@Fistfulofmetal said:

A Quick Look by any other name would still be a Quick Look :/
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By louiedog

@Fistfulofmetal said:

A Quick Look by any other name would still be a Quick Look :/

Vinny was in the office doing some work setting up a computer for the new video guy who starts next week. Dave was doing whatever thing he was working on. They got to talking about Daggerfall and decided they were going to check it out. They also figured that they might as well stream it out to members. It just sort of happened. Sorry that you didn't get a quick look out of it. I had to leave the stream early, but at the beginning they didn't seem sure about whether or not it would be archived. It may not be their decision to make. The game is free, check it out yourself.

@crusader8463: You keep bringing up comparisons to things that are illegal whether they are beyond a paywall or not. You can't host piracy torrents for free or stream out movies and still be within the law. What does the paywall have to do with it? Are you suggesting that Quick Looks in general aren't legal?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crusader8463
@KarlPilkington said:

@crusader8463: I think you are taking the whole thing a little too seriously.

I'm just having a conversation and trying to have a debate about the legality of this. Not taking anything seriously. Devils Advocate if you will.

@Slaker117 said:
@crusader8463: Streaming a movie and streaming footage of a video game are very different things. Also, it's kind of what half the website is based on, I don't understand what would make this occurrence stand out to you specifically. They've been doing Quick Looks for years, and while those are free it's still done for the benefit of the site, a business. Pay wall or not, that would have been illegal by your (incorrect) logic, as GB has never been a non-profit organization.

The difference is that up to now that content has not been locked behind a pay wall that can only be accessed if you pay them an annual fee. You are now paying them money to see content that was not made by them, and they do not have the rights to. In this instance it's a quicklook.

@august said:

@crusader8463: Are you feeling alright? Maybe you should go outside and walk around for a while.

No worse than usual. How about yourself?

@louiedog said:

@crusader8463: You keep bringing up comparisons to things that are illegal whether they are beyond a paywall or not. You can't host piracy torrents for free or stream out movies and still be within the law. What does the paywall have to do with it? Are you suggesting that Quick Looks in general aren't legal?

The pay wall is the whole point. It went from a site showing a few minuets of video game footage to show people some info on it, to it now being a feature people are paying them money to watch. If Microsoft started showing 30 min previews of games on xbox live and charging people to watch it they would have to get permission from the companies first before they did it and probably give them a kick back. I'm just worried that if/when the people who own the rights to this game get a wiff of this they will get sue happy and it will come back to bite the guys in the ass.
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By louiedog

@crusader8463 said:

@louiedog said:

The pay wall is the whole point. It went from a site showing a few minuets of video game footage to show people some info on it, to it now being a feature people are paying them money to watch. If Microsoft started showing 30 min previews of games on xbox live and charging people to watch it they would have to get permission from the companies first before they did it and probably give them a kick back. I'm just worried that if/when the people who own the rights to this game get a wiff of this they will get sue happy and it will come back to bite the guys in the ass.

What you seem to miss, and the point that I was making, is that your examples were all things that are illegal to do whether they are behind a paywall or not. It didn't make any sense. If you want to play devil's advocate and debate something for fun, at least try to come up with something rational.

I also don't think they're going to start doing this for games. It was a spur of the moment thing with a 15-year-old freeware game. Relax.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

@crusader8463: I honestly doubt it's going to come back to bite them, I figure someone there would be smart enough to know and considering how often they do it, I very much doubt it'll pop up as an issue. Besides, Bethesda isn't in the business of making money off of Daggerfall, had they shown Skyrim through some witchcraft, that'd be a different story.