Spookin' With Scoops suggestions

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Hey guys, did a technical test of Spookin' With Scoops from my apartment last night. If you missed it, it's technically still archived at www.twitch.tv/patrickklepek, but it's not really a "first episode" by any means. Slender is played out by now. Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on games that might make sense for this, and it doesn't necessarily have to be games that are contingent on "jump scares" like Slender. Think of this like Worth Reading, which is a feature that started pretty modestly and has become something I'm pretty proud to put together each week, with a bunch of new sections to it. Expect this to be similar to that. Anyway, go!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Id say Condemned and Fatal Frame would both be good choices.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By AlexW00d

That game about that SCP story that's supposedly scary as fuck. I forget the name, which isn't at all helpful, but that.

Also STALKER cause whilst it's not typically horror, the game has atmosphere out the wazoo so thing can actually get scary, as opposed to forced to get scary.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Timing
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Lukeweizer

Resident Evil 2, Condemned and Clock Tower are the ones that come to my mind immediately. Would a Hardcore run of Dead Space 2 be scary? Hardcore mode is the 3 saves and no checkpoints mode.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Zelyre

With Machine of Pigs on the horizon, how about Amnesia?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Maniac Mansion?

In all seriousness, don't forget that the interns did a scary-game show last year. I'd suggest avoiding the games they plugged into for that feature. But you already know that.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Anna looks somewhat interesting. I saw it appear on Greenman Gaming the other day. It looks like it might be a bit slow for a Spookin' With Scoops video though. I dunno. It looks worth checking out in some form, in any case.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Phatmac

Are these suggestions only for your mac? Can you record stuff from consoles too? A suggestion for a pc game is the penumbra games. I don't know if they work on mac, sorry. :/

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By fox01313

Silent Hill Shattered Memories & Condemned 2 would be good ones. Also looking through some older games on the PC, Shivers, 7th Guest & the original AvP (on steam) would be also good on the list for possible choices.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

Clock Tower: The First Fear (because it's a survival horror game I actually seem to like, for a change) and LSD (because why not?). I'd also recommend Sweet Home, if you're into a version of Resident Evil 0 with more historical value than actual value.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By handlas

One of my favorite games ever and one of the few games that scared the crap outta me... I don't know if it's technically suppose to be a scary game though. It's more so you are so vulnerable and weak against the monsters that you constantly freak out about it.

Cryostasis

Dave already did a quicklook of it. I would love to watch someone play that because it's quite a janky game that I never got to see the ending of (I was so close). So, if you could get it to work that would be awesome...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

yeah when you get your computer, I'd definitely recommend stalker and cryostasis, though cryostasis would definitely work better for this segment I think

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By amafi

It's not a scary game, really, but the haunted hotel in vampire the masquerade:bloodlines.

Fantastic quest and it can get pretty spooky.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FritzDude
Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Definitely STALKER.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nohthink

I wish you had an access to Korean games... There is this game called White Day(화이트 데이) and it is suuuuuuper scary in Asian horror movies ways.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@Demoskinos: Condemned is a very good option for this feature I think. It already was part of the intern Fear Gauntlet though and it definitely relies on jump scares to an extent.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is not exactly very accessible but has outstanding moments and is nice, gloomy, disturbing and weird, especially in the early Innsmouth sections. I'm a bit of a Lovecraft nut though, so that obvioulosy colours my reception of the game.

Other than that Thief: Deadly Shadows has that gloriously done, gothic horror inspired Shalebridge Cradle level. No real jump scares but plenty of doom and gloom, fucked-up backstory and cool, somewhat unusual horror elements (at least for a videogame). That's somewhere in the mid- to late-game of the title though, so who knows how practical playing it for this feature might be. It also sort of got a lot of mainstream hype for a while but I still really like the level.

I'm looking forward to these episodes since the live show segments were fun even given the less than ideal circumstances.

Edit:

@Timing: Beat me to it, but yeah, cool niche game for sure.

@Amafi said:

It's not a scary game, really, but the haunted hotel in vampire the masquerade:bloodlines.

This is also true and the quest is in the first hub location of the game so it's reasonably easy to access. Great game, very nice ghost house/ The Shining sub-quest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it wasn't featured so prominently in the Fear Gauntlet I would recommend Condemned. Regardless, you should play it if you haven't.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi
Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe one of the Fatal Frame or Siren games? I've never actually played one, but they're supposedly pretty good.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By BeachThunder

@AlexW00d said:

That game about that SCP story that's supposedly scary as fuck. I forget the name, which isn't at all helpful, but that.

Also STALKER cause whilst it's not typically horror, the game has atmosphere out the wazoo so thing can actually get scary, as opposed to forced to get scary.

SCP-087?

Anyway, seriously, you should try to track down a copy of SS2. Also, Chzo Mythos games by Yahtzee and Eversion.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the underground labs in STALKER are the creepiest shit ever. Condemned games are also a good suggestion. There are a bunch of good Amnesia "custom stories" that are supposed to be really scary. I don't know them by name, but check into those if you can. @AlexW00d said:

SCP-087-B maybe? My brother was saying it was scary as hell.

HulkHanson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HulkHanson

If it hasn't been already said, Siren: Blood Curse. DOIT.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AlexW00d
@BeachThunder@xobballox yeah I've never played it, but I've heard its scary.
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ramone

Project Zero/Fatal Frame also I heard Siren Blood Curse is supposed to be scary as well.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By MildMolasses

Out of curiosity, does this need to be a pc thing? I didn't see the stream last night, but the way the games were set up during the BLLSL, it seemed that a position close to the screen was a bit of a requirement.

If not, while I don't really have any suggestions based on what I've played, I would love to see some Fatal Frame in action if possible

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel

Clock Tower 3 and the Fatal Frame series.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories doesn't get mentioned too often but it's definitely worth trying out. Not much jump scares, but a lot of 'wtf is even happening right now'. Although if you've already played it, might not work quite as well.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By cornbredx

The penumbra games are pretty good. 
Undying was pretty good 
Call of Cthullhu 
7th Guest 

The problem with scary games is time is not kind to them and eventually they aren't scary anymore but these are some that have not been featured on this site that I can think of. 
Silent Hill 2 and Run like hell are ok in my book but Run Like Hell is not one many would agree with me on and Silent Hill 2 has kind of been done to death and is probably more psychological horror. 

I don't know. I guess it depends on how you want to do this or whatever. There's not a lot of scary games. 
That's all I got at the moment. I am at work so all I got is top of my head suggestions right now haha

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dungbootle

SCP-087-B. Note that there is a distinction to be made between the SCP-087 and SCP-087-B games; I prefer B a lot more.

Ley_Lines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ley_Lines
@Amafi said:

Brother, let me introduce the Giant Bomb interns present the "Fear Gauntlet" ... they were smart enough not to call it a "Spook Look"

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#34  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@patrickklepek: If you're considering older games (you've mentioned System Shock 2 in the past), maybe Clive Barker's Undying, Michigan: Report from Hell (suda51!) or even the proto-Dead Space/System Shock Commodore 64 classic Project Firestart (like DS and SS, it was published by EA. Wonder if there is anybody in the teams who worked on all of them).

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

#35  Edited By bobafettjm

The original SNES Clock Tower is pretty great, the atmosphere alone is worth checking it out for.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By corruptsaves

I would like to back Vampire the Masquerade, STALKER and Thief as well.

Parasite Eve, Killer7 and you said Dino Crisis before didn't you.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#37  Edited By BeachThunder

@patrickklepek: I'm watching the video now, I'm really glad you're playing it at home by yourself and really trying to get into the game's atmosphere - unlike the Amnesia QL, which was a huge disaster D:

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By amafi

@Ley_Lines said:

@Amafi said:

Brother, let me introduce the Giant Bomb interns present the "Fear Gauntlet" ... they were smart enough not to call it a "Spook Look"

Oh man, I'd completely forgotten they did that level. For whatever reason the only strong memories I have of the fear gauntlet series are of the condemned bits.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#39  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I hear that fatal frame is terrifying. You could do that.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By renmckormack

Sup Scoops. With RE 6 and quite Frankly 4 and 5 really bumming me out (story wise they are fun to play) I would very much suggest The Resident Evil 1 Remake on the Gamecube OR preferably Original RE 1 on the PS1 with the live action cutscenes.

LOOK AT THIS

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

The interns a few years ago did a thing like this called the fear gauntlet. I'm unsure if that's still on the site or just on their YouTube channel. I would check there and see if any of their choices seem like they'd be up to your speed.

Demmetje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Demmetje

Amy.

No really.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JaredA

Scratches was a pretty spooky point 'n click adventure game. Play that!

tictocbehemoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tictocbehemoth

How about some Amnesia custom stories like Abduction.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By McGhee

How about Chonicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay? There's a lot of great tension and action mixed into that game.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Grillbar

siren blood curse, obscure, call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth, scratches (preferably the directors cut), cursed mountain, and maybe rule of rose

Edit: uh and fatal frame 1 or 2

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47  Edited By JamesJeux007

If you haven't played it, Project Zero 2 : Crimson Butterfly is a fantastic game. It's not just scary, it has a really well told and interesting story and actual gameplay (you actually have to "fight" spirits with a camera). Having played the first 2, the second is definitely better. Try it out :')

What ? Nope, Fatal Frame is a really stupid name. No way I'm calling it that.

Oh and also, if you can find the remake of the original Clock Tower on the PSX, you should definitely try it out. It's not really scary and fairly short, but the mechanics are really interesting and looks great (it's a 2D game, as it came out on the SNES in Japan). Who would think you could make a scary point & click game ?

P.S: I heard several times on the podcast that you liked Siren Blood Curse on the PS3 ? That game was clunky at times, especially the way the story was told, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Glad to see someone spreading the good word about this game :'D

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By dvdhaus

You have that copy of Eternal Darkness right? That could be a good game to do. At least you talked about getting a copy on the podcast or in a Worth Reading article.

Edit: And there is this Lucius game coming out on the 26th of October on Steam. That could be cool to show off some of that. Maybe some of the playthrough before the quicklook. Is the goal of this to play through an entire game or just enough to show off some of the scares?

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By SerHulse

@AlexW00d said:

@BeachThunder@xobballox yeah I've never played it, but I've heard its scary.

It's best if you know as little about what happens in that game as possible otherwise it sucks all the horror out of it. I was freaked out by it, but when i told my brother about it he looked it up, read about it, and barely reacted.