• 58 results
cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cannonballbam

Has there been a game you have played before that you were absolutely in love with and then replayed later to find out that in light of the industry's improvement with design/mechanics that the game is just simply not good?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chummy8

Nope. Old games hold up.

I just finished a play though of Baldur's Gate 2 and Deus Ex recently. Plus, with gog.com, I'm in the middle of an Anachronox play through.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Tylea002

There have been a few, but that's more because *I* got older and my tastes/standards improved, rather than the game getting older. But many old games really do hold up.

Roller Coaster Tycoon is STILL FUCKING AMAZING.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Morrow

Ocarina of Time. My nostalgia love for this game was huge but when I played it again on my 3DS I felt like it was overrated. Although that might be because a handheld can't compare to playing on a big TV. There are also games I hold very high but am scared to replay because I don't want to damage that feeling, like some SNES classics.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

Most of the ones that I remember I remember for a reason. But some Playstation games are kind of rough to go back to, so I'd say stuff from the early 3D era can be hit or miss.

16 bit games are usually as good as I remember. Though stuff like Crash Bandicoot or Vagrant Story still kick ass as much as Sonic 2 or Super Mario World.

Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Shaka999

Star Fox 64 for me. I played it again a few weeks ago and was shocked at how annoying that game can be at times. Or maybe I'm just bad.

Other than that though, I usually don't keep games unless I feel like I'd go back to them at a later date & enjoy them.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By katimanic

Super Mario 64

The controls aren't as smooth as I remembered and the analog stick does not hold up well.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maajin

The first Max Payne.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pyrodactyl

doesn't really count since I first played it very recently but XCOM 3 is not really good huh?

TERRIBLE interface, instant kill/mind control face huguers used as bullets by the FIRST type of ennemie you encounter, obscure or straight up unplayable if you don't have the 200 page manual, completly useless psyonic powers, useless ground vehicules that can be destroyed by falling buildings, having to eyeball the drop zone for alien troops, etc. The list goes on and on but I'll just stop and tell you to play the new one instead.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By JoeyRavn

If the game was originally good, it will still be good today. You have to approach it with the correct mindset, though. If you're expecting a 1998 game to have modern-day features, of course it's going to disappoint you. Take it for what it was back in the day.

That said, most 3D games are less tolerable than most 2D games as time goes by, if you ask me. Baldur's Gate or Diablo II? Perfectly playable today. Alone in the Dark or Tomb Raider? Uh...

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

Most good old games hold up- but some don't. Early 3d, polygonal tech based games sometimes don't. 
More in tune with your question though, yes. 7th Guest is a good example- imo. Was great when it released, but since I got older I realized the acting is really bad and cheesy. Although the puzzles are still good which I guess is what counts. This tends to be the case, though, with most FMV games in general- good or bad. 

It seems to me, 2d games tend to hold up really well, early polygonal stuff kind of suffers a bit, FMV games were always hit or miss anyway but the good ones the puzzles or game play holds up. I'm not sure yet how modern high budget games will hold up- i'm curious to see how that goes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly only games from the PS1 era that have really terrible graphics and frame rate.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By pyromagnestir

I never really loved any of my non sports Genesis games, but I've been playing some of them recently and they don't seem to be holding up very well. Lots of simple platforming and the graphics aren't as good as I remembered them being. Funny how that works, isn't it? They were all practically cartoon quality in my mind's eye.

On the other hand I've been playing the old Tony Hawk games recently and they hold up just fine. I've been through Pro Skater on N64, Pro Skater 3 on PS2, and Pro Skater 2x, plus Underground 1 and 2 on Xbox and I've had a great time doing so. Next up I got Pro Skater 4 for PS2. Having said that, the PS1 version of 2 didn't click with me quite so much as 2x did.

I still love Super Mario 64, but the tasks aren't as... complex as I remember them being.

Also I hate to be a grammar nazi but you're misusing despite and it bugs me far more than I wish it would.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cannonballbam

@pyromagnestir: appreciate it.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pyromagnestir

@cannonballBAM: No prob. However, is it bad that I let out and audible, soothed "Aaaaaah..." when I saw the fix?... I'm thinking it's bad.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Terminator 2 for NES. Fuck You Motorcycle Level, there was a trick to beating that level but I lost my patience to figure it out.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By frankfartmouth

Most games I loved as a kid hold up, but one big exception for me is Phantasy Star 2. It was one of my favorites growing up. I tried to run through it again a while back and found it to be a real slog. The dungeons were just really monotonous and mind numbing, and it was way too grind heavy.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cannonballbam

@pyromagnestir: Ha not at all. I think were allowed to help others so long as they don't respond like a jack ass.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#19  Edited By donutfever

I read the title as "RapeLaying old games".

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By crusader8463

I'm afraid to replay a couple games I really loved out of fear of that happening. At the end of the day though I'm a story guy and while the method that is used to tell the stories might not be as flashy, a games awesome story can hold the test of time much better then gameplay can in my eyes.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EVO

Goldeneye is nearly unplayable by today's standards.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By notdavid

I find that old games that I've played at the time still hold up, but old games that I have never played usually don't. I fucking love Ocarina of Time, but not Link to the Past. Even though, objectively, I can see that LttP is the better game.

Measly_Twerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Measly_Twerp

Unreal was the third FPS I ever played, after Quake and Quake 2. It was beautiful, even on a 533mhz Celeron with an S3 Trio64. There where lights everywhere of all colours, water and plants, and even reflections (at 7fps). But most frustrating to me where the damn strafing Skaarj. I only ever managed to complete it with god mode on and by using 'allammo'; but that was ok as as weak as the story was, I just had to know how it finished.

I'd play it again, except for some of the infuriating parts, I still think it looks pretty good and there are high-res texture packs available for it.

I just did a quick search on YouTube and found a play-through as recently as 2009, so I might just watch some highlights from that.

But really, I'd love to see the game redeveloped, updated graphics to make the aliens more alien, and a fleshed out story to fit the atmosphere.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By nightriff

Never played Half-Life and I tried playing it a few months ago, got about 3 hours in before I just said fuck this because it just has aged so much since 1998. I understand how good it was but I just can't play it sadly.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yinstarrunner

I don't really have a problem playing old games: I'm really good at putting myself in the mindset required to appreciate gaming history.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By YOU_DIED

I think it depends on whether (at the time of playing the game) you enjoyed it because of the spectacle, or because it's genuinely good. It can be easy to get the two confused. This is why I usually play through a game more than once. Most games are so short, it can be hard to tell.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic Adventure 1 is an outdated pile of shit.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By amafi

@CornBREDX: 7th guest has GREAT bad acting though.

But yeah, all those FMV adventure games are probably the games I spent the most time with that aged the worst.

D, 11th hour, 7th guest, tex murphy, black dahlia, etc.

Those and early polygonal games. I spent a weekend with no sleep playing battle arena toshinden back in the day and while I didn't love it I didn't hate it nearly enough.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#29  Edited By BeachThunder

Chances are that if a game's not good when playing it now, it probably wasn't particularly good to begin with anyway. A lot of games that people used to enjoy were played when they were kids, and kids don't often have a very refined taste when it comes to games.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By hawkinson76

I played through Metal Gear Solid on the PS1, but I could NOT get into Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes on Gamecube, and I hadn't played Metal Gear Solid 2 or 3 in the interim, so I wasn't spoiled by any improvements that may have been made in the sequels. In the same vain, I was very excited about Resident Evil 0, but I don't think I got off that damn train. Those games are just awkward.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By GunstarRed

American McGee's Alice. I loved that game passionately years ago, but what were once gameplay quirks I now find almost intolerable. The music is still much better than anything in the sequel though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This is what I've been doing for the last 3 years, kinda. If we want to talk about games from our childhoods that don't hold up, an easy one for me is Donkey Kong 64. That game is the epitome of "collect 50 different items" made even worse by overly-large levels and an overabundance of crappy challenge barrels.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sinusoidal

Final Fantasy VII. I tried replaying a couple years back for the first time since it came out and didn't get out of Midgar. What really was a transcendent experience in gaming back in the 90s is not so much today.

Someone else said Phantasy Star 2? Yes, that one as well. But nowadays if you run it on a emulator, you can hack the save states rather than grind, making it a much more enjoyable, incredibly short game.

Speaking of save state hacking. I think the biggest belly laugh I ever got out of a game was when I was playing Final Fantasy 1 with everyone max levels, max stats and Chaos - the final boss - ran away from me. Roll credits, I win... apparently.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By hollitz

I think nostalgia is usually strong enough to convince people that the games they used to love are still good.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Aetheldod

Nope ... I like them for what they were and it is very unfair to rejudge them with today´s standars (are there any really? :P )

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By Castiel

Most PS1 games are pure shite today.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37  Edited By Little_Socrates
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By willin

Morrowind. It's pains me in my heavy heart to say it but cannot play it again simply for that fact that 75% of your sword strikes miss.

I am unworthy to all of you. I'm scum.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Claude

In truth, new games are the end of a beautiful existence. The next gen will be the end of new gen next gen end. Try and be hard and play to be made as the games are gamed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Claude said:

In truth, new games are the end of a beautiful existence. The next gen will be the end of new gen next gen end. Try and be hard and play to be made as the games are gamed.

http://www.datgif.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/tom-baker-creepy-smile.gif

Shadowman is probably the oldest game from home consoles that I've tried going back to and enjoyed. It feels janky as fuck, but holds up relatively well. Don't get me wrong, when you compare it to something like Darksiders (which is basically where that genre went), it feels paleolithic, but I had a decent enough time playing it.

Games that hold up: Any 2D Zelda game, Majora's Mask, every Metroid game.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bell_End

i barely have enough time to play new games let alone replay games that i have already played.

must be nice to have so much free gaming time

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RustySanderke

I believe PC games are especially susceptible to ageing poorly due to their emphasis on cutting edge technology.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Played Abe's Exodus recently and that game is still a fun game that it just makes me wish Oddworld Inhabitants would just make another Oddworld 2D puzzle platformer again.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DelroyLindo

@EVO said:

False, me and a friend played through that game a month ago and then did some multiplayer. Game is made for turn about couch gaming

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EVO

@DelroyLindo said:

@EVO said:

False, me and a friend played through that game a month ago and then did some multiplayer. Game is made for turn about couch gaming

I played it with friends a few years ago and I found it controlled nowhere near as well as I remember it. But then again, I was using a controller that had played many games of Mario Party.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DelroyLindo

@EVO said:

@DelroyLindo said:

@EVO said:

I played it with friends a few years ago and I found it controlled nowhere near as well as I remember it. But then again, I was using a controller that had played many games of Mario Party.

It does control a bit like ass, but I think that was in large part to 10 year old broken controllers. Still had a great time playing it though

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By A_Talking_Donkey

No, and actually I think I have the opposite thing going on where I like so many older games so much that newer games don't really compare. That's not to say I have some older-game-elitism or anything as I still enjoy newer games, just that through refinement I think a lot of titles lose their charm. I know Resident Evil and Armored Core both have "bad" control schemes, but the controls not being perfect at a nice bit of quirkiness to the games.

pepperzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By pepperzz

FF9 was still as great as I remembered it. I could play that game forever.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By wmoyer83

Recently played MGS3:Snakeeater, and it is still great. Now I am playing MGS2:Sons of Liberty. Knowing what I know about the series now, I can enjoy it more. The story is not as stupid as the first time I played it. I guess it depends on how the game holds up to games of today. Obviously something like X-men vs Street Fighter on the PS1 is going to look like crap, but games like River City Ransom and Sim City cannot be replicated due to their immense charm.

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By TeamJersey

@EVO: I agree 100%.