• 60 results
Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Ubik

Is anyone else bothered by these Star Wars blu-ray ads that now pop up on the Deus Ex:HR loading screens?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I'm guessing that this was part of the new update they released yesterday, because I don't remember seeing them before that. I'm trying to decide what bothers me the most about them: Square Enix slipping a shitty new form of sneaky advertising in a game that I love or the fact that LucasArts has to resort to advertising in other people's games because they haven't made anything worth playing in years.

What do you think of these ads?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

As long as it's not like the Wipeout HD clusterfuck, I don't give a damn.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dallas_Raines

wut? I didn't see any Star Wars ads when I played today...

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jetsetwillie

i don't get why people get so worked up about adverts. it really doesn't bother me at all.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Clubvodka

I haven't seen them, I don't mind ads although it's a little strange. Maybe working them into a billboard or something would be more effective. @jetsetwillie you're right, people do get far too worked up over ads.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Loading screens is probably the best place to put them. In fact, I like it. Loading screens are usually boring as shit, now I get to be marketed to.

Star Wars ads are hardly Human Revolution's biggest problem, anyway.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Clubvodka

@GunslingerPanda: I think the game is fantastic but then again I'm one of the three living people that actually really loved Invisible War.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@jetsetwillie said:

i don't get why people get so worked up about adverts. it really doesn't bother me at all.

Well, you see, originally, the idea was that games would be sold at a discounted price or given away free to push ads through them. That was the idea back in 2004 when The Internet didn't have the speeds to deliver full sized games easily. Now it does and now they are trying to push ads through full priced games and so some people get annoyed.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Clubvodka

@SeriouslyNow: At least it's in line thematically with the game, it could be a whole lot worse in all fairness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY ADDED ADS IN MY LOADING SCREENS.

FUCK THIS GAEM.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jetsetwillie

@SeriouslyNow said:

@jetsetwillie said:

Well, you see, originally, the idea was that games would be sold at a discounted price or given away free to push ads through them. That was the idea back in 2004 when The Internet didn't have the speeds to deliver full sized games easily. Now it does and now they are trying to push ads through full priced games and so some people get annoyed.

how do we now that these ad are not stopping the prices of games going up. i mean we never see games go up in price with inflation.

if the game stopped when you was playing and forced you too sit and watch a bunch of ads every 15 mins then id agree. but just a pic as the game loads is nothing to get on your high horse about

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo

@jetsetwillie said:

Will it bother you when they are unnecessarily increasing the length or frequency of loading screens in order to fit more advertising in?

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jetsetwillie

as long as my game is not interrupted then they can put what ever the fuck they like on the loading screen. and that will never happen

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zagzagovich

Wow, that's pretty scummy. Games are already overpriced and now they put ads in them? I can get when they make sence like in sport games or on billboards in games that have them but these sound pretty bad.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By daiphyer

Is this true? I haven't seen any ads ever. Maybe it's the NTSC version?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By penguindust

Remember all those Dodge Caliber and Dodge Nitro ads in Crackdown? As long as the advertising doesn't get as intrusive as that, I'm okay with the publisher making a quick buck. I barely pay attention to loading screens, so anything there wouldn't disturb me.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@jetsetwillie said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@jetsetwillie said:

how do we now that these ad are not stopping the prices of games going up. i mean we never see games go up in price with inflation.

if the game stopped when you was playing and forced you too sit and watch a bunch of ads every 15 mins then id agree. but just a pic as the game loads is nothing to get on your high horse about

Games have already hit Critical Mass, they are normally accepted aspect of society and their budgets are often equaling and sometimes eclipsing that of Hollywood movies. They should be going down in price, not going up. The idea was for ad supported games which would be cheap or free, neither of which has happened in the greater console and home PC market beyond a few standout examples. It's certainly happened in the smartphone/tablet arena though, which might be indicative of where the real money is.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jetsetwillie

@SeriouslyNow said:

@jetsetwillie said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@jetsetwillie said:

Games have already hit Critical Mass, they are normally accepted aspect of society and their budgets are often equaling and sometimes eclipsing that of Hollywood movies. They should be going down in price, not going up. The idea was for ad supported games which would be cheap or free, neither of which has happened in the greater console and home PC market beyond a few standout examples. It's certainly happened in the smartphone/tablet arena though, which might be indicative of where the real money is.

how come movie price go up in price then every year

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cheapandtacky

@jetsetwillie said:

It's called immersion.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jetsetwillie

@cheapandtacky said:

@jetsetwillie said:

It's called immersion.

so an ad really ruins that for you then.

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cheapandtacky

@jetsetwillie said:

@cheapandtacky said:

@jetsetwillie said:

It's called immersion.

so an ad really ruins that for you then.

If an ad is doing it's job and drawing your attention to it then of course it ruins immersion.. I don't have a problem with billboard adds in games in games that are integrated well (ie appropriate for the game) but random adds and messages are intrusive.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I haven't seen a single one. Post a screenshot.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By spaceturtle

I haven't seen them, but then again I haven't played the game for weeks. That's a real cheap trick though.

Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ubik
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

@Mr_Skeleton: It's weird, it doesn't show up all the time; maybe only for certain areas/loading screens? This is only the second time I've seen it pop up.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Clonedzero

its pretty fucked up, i already beat the game twice. but patching in ads on loading screens is fucked up.

i paid for the product, and then you patch it and change it to include ads int he game with no benefit for me? i mean if there was free DLC and the ads were paying for that then i could understand, but putting ads in for no reason is ridiculous and disgusting.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By yinstarrunner

So how long before we have to sit through a minute of advertising before we can even play our games? Maybe I shouldn't be giving publishers any ideas. Anyways, its totally sleazy to patch that into a game weeks after release, after most of your audience has already purchased it without that knowledge.

If costs are really so high that publishers really have to resort to that to actually make money, then gaming is doomed. Except they don't. I'm sure Deus Ex sold well, but then again, this is square-enix we're talking about, and it seems they might need money anywhere they can get it these days.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
@Ubik Wow that is crazy, I had one of those ads In my game. On what console are you playing?
Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Green_Incarnate

That ad is ridiculous. I did like a triple take the first time I saw it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By FancySoapsMan

It could be worse.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bybeach

I kind of don't like it, if it's new. But then, I am not into Starwars. It should have been coke...

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zeforgotten

I'm not getting them on my version (no idea why, Steam updated the game and everything) but I never ever get worked up over ads like this. It's not like the game suddenly sucks less and if Square or Eidos feels like advertising Star Wars in Deus Ex. Human Revolution then that's fine. It doesn't ruing the immersion for me since, you know, the fact that it's a game did that already

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By tourgen
@FancySoapsMan said:
It could be worse.
give it a little time.  it will be worse.
CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CounterShock

Yeah, that kinda sucks.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shirogane

@tourgen said:

@FancySoapsMan said:
It could be worse.
give it a little time. it will be worse.

What, like weapon unlocks and skins from happy meals? That'll never happen!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green

well that sucks. i hate loading screens, and ads in my games.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Clonedzero

@ZeForgotten said:

I'm not getting them on my version (no idea why, Steam updated the game and everything) but I never ever get worked up over ads like this. It's not like the game suddenly sucks less and if Square or Eidos feels like advertising Star Wars in Deus Ex. Human Revolution then that's fine. It doesn't ruing the immersion for me since, you know, the fact that it's a game did that already

i dont really think you understand the concept of immersion in games...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Ads or Full Price Game. Not both.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zeforgotten

@Clonedzero said:

@ZeForgotten said:

So just because I don't get super immersed in the story of a video game since I know it's a game I don't know what it means? .. Are you trying to win some sort of "stupid comment" award or something? o.O

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@SeriouslyNow said:

How about if it fits into the atmosphere of the game?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Clonedzero

@ZeForgotten said:

@Clonedzero said:

@ZeForgotten said:

So just because I don't get super immersed in the story of a video game since I know it's a game I don't know what it means? .. Are you trying to win some sort of "stupid comment" award or something? o.O

overly defensive much? relax dude.

and yes, because you dont seem to grasp the fact that the game breaking the 4th wall does ruin the experience for lots of people. but go ahead and be hostile if thats your thing.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By zeforgotten

@Clonedzero said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Clonedzero said:

@ZeForgotten said:

overly defensive much? relax dude.

and yes, because you dont seem to grasp the fact that the game breaking the 4th wall does ruin the experience for lots of people. but go ahead and be hostile if thats your thing.

I just had to make sure that what you were saying was exactly that. You're right, if an ad for Star Wars breaks the immersion for you or everyone else and not me, then I'm at fault. Just had to make sure, buddy. Carry on..

Also, congrats, you did win

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By musubi

The only thing that I hate about is that its star wars bluray ads. That makes me want to cut my wrists every time I remember what george lucas did to the series. But luckily the load times are short now so I don't actually have to follow through.

Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Elusionar

Star Wars ad in Deus Ex is not as bad as Deus Ex ads in Star Wars.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By VisariLoyalist

yeah as long as it's limited to loading screen I'm fine with it. Personally to me there is no such thing to me as "contextual" advertising in games.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Brendan

@NekuSakuraba said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

How about if it fits into the atmosphere of the game?

It works well in sports and racing games. It's difficult with period and sci-fi universes though, because stuff like the ad in this example really stand out in a bad way.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Yanngc33

I like Deus Ex, I like Star Wars. Can't say this bothers me

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By ReyGitano

I'm reading Shakespeare right now and can't help but imagine if pages in between acts had advertisements in them.

Henry IV Part 1, Act 2

brought to you by Wrestlemania.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By Kyreo

@Enigma777: Haha.... I almost forgot about that shitty ad system!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ravenlight

Hey at least they patched the game so loading is measured in seconds rather than hours before adding ads.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Toxeia

Reading through this thread, everyone's either concerned about ads infiltrating games or they're just ambivalent to it. Here's the REAL problem though, when they start putting GAMES in our ADVERTS. I need to see that 1-800 number again to know who to call to buy my magic wallet but I don't want to have to play through an entire level or area in a game to get another chance to catch that number.

As for the whole argument about "You got your ads in my immersion, brah" I have to wonder if you were to LARP would you stop in the door way and scream out "LOADING" then stand there for 10-20 seconds when you walked into a room?