#1 Posted by donatoqueen (54 posts) -

Is "Best of Giant Bomb" still bringing it in your opinion?

I remember before it became part of the site, beat for beat and joke for joke I felt the perfect moments were picked. I literally needed to stop watching them because it was spoiling all the best moments of the site.

#2 Posted by nutter (2113 posts) -

I still watch and enjoy the Best of Giant Bomb series.

As for whether it’s actually using the very best moments, I don’t know. I don’t have time to consume more than 5% of the site’s video content to say...which is why I watch and appreciate it.

From what I watch on the site, the highs are less frequent than the early days (making it tougher for new “Best ofs” to keep up with old “Best ofs”), but it’s still the best place to enjoy this kind of content on the web.

There’s been a lot of change over the years, and the content has broadened, so I imagine they cater to a larger crowd. If I only have time to watch a vast minority of content, and other folks can watch and dig something I can skip in favor of other Giant Bomb content, who am I to complain?

As for what I’d LOVE to see from Best of Giant Bomb...I’d love to see some Best of Playthroughs. All those long-form series like Metal Gear Scanlon, Beasts in the East, whatever the Shenmue playthrough was called, Mass Alex...If there were videos that condensed these into 2 hours each (in addition to the full versions), that’d be super cool.

#3 Posted by Sahalarious (770 posts) -

i mean look at the changes here, vinny has become really tame and started playing the old woodsmith rather than the funny guy we met, Drew is gone, they dont drink as much anymore, and they dun got rid of the couch! another hard thing was the growth of shovelware in all the game stores, makes it less novel or funny for them to choose the turds we used to love laughing at with them. GB is still my one and only gaming site, just not very funny anymore.

#4 Edited by JohnyMyko (1870 posts) -

@sahalarious said:

i mean look at the changes here, vinny has become really tame and started playing the old woodsmith rather than the funny guy we met, Drew is gone, they dont drink as much anymore, and they dun got rid of the couch! another hard thing was the growth of shovelware in all the game stores, makes it less novel or funny for them to choose the turds we used to love laughing at with them. GB is still my one and only gaming site, just not very funny anymore.

This is exactly how I feel about it. It's still the only gaming site I check but it's not that funny anymore.

Turboman is still doing a good job with the "Best of" videos and he's still picking the best moments from the site, but the content just isn't as funny and the best moments aren't as great as it used to be and, in the end, the quality of the Giant Bomb content will be reflected in the quality of the "best of" videos.

#5 Posted by The_Nubster (4098 posts) -

For me, it seems the videos are missing some sort of "narrative" structure. Obviously there's no story to tell, but often times when it's just every funny moment in chronological order, it's lacking. I don't know the timeline that it takes to make these up so I'm not gonna sit here and say I could do better, but I would appreciate some sort of set-up and payoff.

For example, the knife breaking moment in the RE2 demo was included in the most recent best-of as if it was objectively funny, but the humour comes from the fact that the chat had told Brad that there was durability on the knife. Including a quick non-humorous moment for set-up earlier in the video, switching to another set of stand-alone moments, and then giving the knife breaking a pay-off would be funnier for viewers who hadn't watched that entire UPF. Often, the moments lose some of their impact without moments leading up, and including the build and the joke in one game chunk can feel a little monotonous.

I still have good laughs with them and I look forward to them as they come out, but it feels like it could be set up a bit better for newcomers.

#6 Posted by htr10 (1048 posts) -

This community never stops finding reasons to complain.

#7 Edited by donatoqueen (54 posts) -

Oh Bradley, still failing to disappoint about disappointing (in re to the *ahem* RE knife moment).

Anyway thanks for the feedback. I agree, with what I perceive to be the general sentiment; that they are reflective of the general state of the site and the reason why they may feel as if they have "dropped off" a bit is due to the changes with the site not specifically the content being selected.

I would like to chat more about that as well however that will go off-topic, probably turn a bit negative and then come back around to Ryan's passing so perhaps that is a conversation better left to another day.

Cheers

#8 Posted by Marokai (3711 posts) -

To be honest, they feel like they've "dropped off" to me more because they've become such a common video now, it feels like. When those videos first began as an unofficially sanctioned thing, they had a lot of backlog to go through, so you could pick the gold bits, and they weren't made so frequently. I thought the Best of 2018 video, for instance, was consistently full of really funny stuff - but some features are better than others, some months are better than others, and as a result, due to the need for these videos to be made on a regular basis now because they've become an expectation, a lot of them do feel really dry.

I do think *some* of this has to do with the fact that GB's videos have become a lot less "burst out laughing" and more "long streams with some funny moments and mostly pleasant conversation" but that's just the way video on the internet is now. The incentive is to make the most amount of content possible.

#9 Posted by soulcake (2753 posts) -

That XpantherX guy was putting in more effort :P. I still think TurboMan does a awesome job putting these thing together. Knowing he's probably got more to do in his life then just paste video's together all day, i am amazed that he still puts them out regularly, THANKS!