#1  Edited By JayEH
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Sin4profit

..looks like fucking trash...still reading up on it.

[edit] The more i think about it the more i'm coming around on it but there are huge gaps in the information right now.

• analog triggers?
  • multi-touch trackpads?
  • what are the elongated "buttons" under the touch screen?
  • are the rear buttons touch enabled and/or momentary rocker switches?
Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

:?

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I guess... It could work? Maybe? Though I have a hard time imagining playing stuff like a fighting game with this thing.

Zauzazu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zauzazu

I'm intrigued...would love to see what it's like to use.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It looks hideous.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have faith in Valve, but that looks awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

my god. it looks like alien tech

Kingloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm curious as to how well it actually works, but my God it is sinfully ugly.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Loading Video...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It looks unconventional. What's most important is whether it works or not.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If that was coming from anyone other than Valve I would say it looked like a cheap piece of rubbish. Need read up on it to see if it is so. Can't imagine them releasing something which wasn't tested to hell, so am intruiged.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#13 chaser324  Moderator

...oh no! Now I'm starting to think this whole Steam Box thing is some elaborate practical joke or just viral marketing for Portal 3.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

This just begs for some kind of GB live stream...

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to try it out!

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting, they say there is haptics in the touch pad to give various levels of feedback. Not sure how the hell that is going to work, but if they can emulate a stick with a touch pad, that might be what makes me enjoy first person shooters with a gamepad... the accuracy of a mouse, with the ease of use and accessibility of a console controller.

If anyone can make this work, it'll be Valve.

I think it's funny what everyone's reaction to this is. A lot of people were complaining that Microsoft isn't doing anything to innovate controls, then Valve comes out and makes something crazy and people complain that it's too different. Make up your mind, people!

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i couldnt care less about how it looks as long as it works well

why does it strike me as the underside of the controller, not the face?

edit: finally read the page. i wanna to try one like now.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@chiablo: Maybe those are two completely different groups of people!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

...oh no! Now I'm starting to think this whole Steam Box thing is some elaborate practical joke or just viral marketing for Portal 3.

It certainly leaves the door open for the obvious Portal themed controller. Blue and Orange pads, yo!

You know that's gonna happen, too.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VALVE!!! I don't care about your hardware plans! Push Linux support and announce more software. Holy shit I am so disappointed.

penfold01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like they spent a week announcing solutions to problems nobody has. Hopefully the haptic feedback makes those touchpads work better than virtual joysticks on a touchscreen, but this thing seems like the kind of thing you'd absolutely have to hold in your hands before committing to. Also, that shape had me confused for a bit whether or not that was the front or the back.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The touch screen that acts as a button sounds like a nice addition to avoid inevitable touch screen miss-clicks. I kinda dig the design of the controller, would love to get my hands on one.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By EarlessShrimp

This... looks like a 21st century ghetto blaster that they stuck hooves on

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Valve is just about to get a big ol' steaming helping of failure heading their way...

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The touch stuff is kinda neat (definitely influenced by Vita/PS4 controller), but man those button placements for ABXY are horrendous.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Visually I dont mind it and I trust valve that they wouldn't be making it if they didn't think it was a worthwhile idea/investment

excited to get my hands on it :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like they spent a week announcing solutions to problems nobody has. Hopefully the haptic feedback makes those touchpads work better than virtual joysticks on a touchscreen, but this thing seems like the kind of thing you'd absolutely have to hold in your hands before committing to. Also, that shape had me confused for a bit whether or not that was the front or the back.

playing pc centric games (rts) on a controller is very much a problem

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Illuminosopher

I will probably never own a steam console but I like that they are trying something different with the controller.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like an elaborate pair of speakers. Like, I should be able to plug that into a PC and listen to music on that thing.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I know the "right" thing to do is to not judge it until you use it, but the hell with that.

No d-pad. Awkward button placement. Pad sensor things instead of proper sticks.

My initial impression is that I think the lowered number of inputs compared to standard controllers is a poor choice on their part.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They put a space bar on a controller

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Man, that thing is really, really stupid looking. The placement of the face buttons seems poor, too. As long as the tech actually works, I guess it should be fine, but damn is it ugly.

ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone ever used an input device with haptics? How does it work? Does it rumble at me when I touch it?

Interesting times for sure, but looks like they really will need the beta.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By iamjohn
@masterpaperlink said:

@penfold01 said:

How do you see a controller with two faux-sticks and a completely nonsensical placement of face buttons fixing that?

I gotta go with penfold here. None of these announcements aside from Steam OS have been particularly interesting, and none of them are anything that anyone needed.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"RIP Valve!"

Oh, internet.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, whatever.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the way the buttons are arranged. Anyone who's played a game on a traditional controller that requires you to aim with the right stick, but need to push a button as well knows how frustrating this can be.

If I'm stationary, and need to push a button (such as reload), why not have more buttons on the left that aren't necessarily a D-pad?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:
@masterpaperlink said:

@penfold01 said:

How do you see a controller with two faux-sticks and a completely nonsensical placement of face buttons fixing that?

ask valve, i didnt make the claim, the fact remains that this controller exists partly to solve that problem. I dont claim to have any idea how (well) this thing functions

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

I'm wondering if the haptic feedback can have any positive impact as well since to me it does look like they built a controller out of the virtual thumbsticks that no one likes.

There are still unanswered questions, like, "what the hell do those three long-ass buttons under the touch screen do?" and i'd like to know if the "triggers" are analog or not.

But yeah, it's so batshit crazy that you'd have to use it before anyone could judge it. Still disappointed there wasn't more to the announcement.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By Barrabas

A lot of modern games are designed for you to have you're thumb on the left analog stick at all times, but with the way the buttons are laid out it looks like you are going to have to take it off quite a bit. It will probably work fine for first person shooters, but I'm skeptical on how well it will work for nearly every other genre. I'd like to give it a try though. If I'm missing something and it ends up being amazing I'd be happy to be wrong.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kudo's to Valve for breaking the mold and coming up with a new design to change everything.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Unless i really don't understand what the controller is capable of, I think this looks really promising. If the two track pads have mouse accuracy, could you pinch and zoom? Could you select areas on the screen? Could you use the touch screen to quickly select locations on a map? Seems like a great way of making RTS and MOBA's controller friendly.

I also like the two additional buttons on the back. They look like they'll create a richer tactile sensation when your gripping something ingame. Imagine holding a weapon like that.

Plus its ambidextrous. That's cool.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chiablo

@iamjohn said:
@masterpaperlink said:

@penfold01 said:

ask valve, i didnt make the claim, the fact remains that this controller exists partly to solve that problem. I dont claim to have any idea how (well) this thing functions

All but two games (Alien Swarm, and DOTA 2) that Valve has made have been first person shooters. I think they would know better than anyone how to design a controller with this type of game in mind.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TruthTellah

@chiablo said:

@masterpaperlink said:

@iamjohn said:
@masterpaperlink said:

@penfold01 said:

All but two games (Alien Swarm, and DOTA 2) that Valve has made have been first person shooters. I think they would know better than anyone how to design a controller with this type of game in mind.

I hope you're right! Because this currently just looks like a niche concept control scheme.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iamjohn
@chiablo said:

@masterpaperlink said:

@iamjohn said:
@masterpaperlink said:

@penfold01 said:

1. That has nothing to do with using the controller for RTS games, which is what we were talking about. [EDIT: Okay maybe this is an unfair complaint in retrospect.] But since you brought it up:
  2. There's literally two face buttons next to the left stick. I already have to take my thumb off the right stick whenever I need to hit the face buttons on your average controller, which is a problem none of these controllers have figured out yet - how is asking me to take stop my movement for a second to hit one of those buttons going to help, especially for games like Call of Duty that use all those buttons in some way? Hell, how am I supposed to play many 2D games like that? Unless you're going to put all your eggs in the completely unproven rear touch basket.