Steam group for disabled gamers and chronic pain.

L0ki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By L0ki

Hello, I'm planning to start a new steam group for gamers suffering from chronic pain or who have a disability. I myself am disabled and am suffering from chronic pain. You can read my story here if you are interested: http://tehl0ki.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-story.html

Please let me know if you are interested in joining but only let me know if you are serious about it. I intend to keep quality over quantity members and this is going to be a relatively exclusive safe place. I want members to feel comfortable with one another and able to discuss our issues among friends.

You are also welcome to join if you at one time suffered from chronic intractable pain or a disability but no longer do. Again while this group is focused on gamers, you are more than welcome to join if you have never played a video game in your life.

Please refer any friends or relatives you know suffering from chronic pain or a disability. The purpose of this group is to simply provide support. While it's a steam group and game focused, as I said, being a gamer is not a requirement to join.

If you are interested in joining but don't have steam and need help, feel free to send me a private message and I will guide you through the process.

You can contact me with a private message, or my profile is
http://steamcommunity.com/id/teh_L0ki/

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

Good luck, and hope you find some people.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Branthog

This is an awesome idea. Other than being fat and ugly, I don't qualify, but I occasionally daydream about how I might handle the things I care about in life if I suffered some sort of impediment. I hope this does well. Best of luck.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Gabriel

Yeah good luck, headaches are the worst can't imagine having them to the extreme.

the_gallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_gallo

That's a really good thing. Good luck with this.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By imsh_pl
@L0ki: I've read your story, and I must say it's incredibly touching. I can't even imagine how hard a life with constant headaches could be, and I'm happy to see that you've found something in life that makes you feel bit better. 

Also, I can't believe what asshole would ban you from coming up with such an initiative. Gamespot just hit a new low for me.
htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By htr10

great idea as far as the steam group.

not to go off-topic, but i read through your blog.  i wish you the best of luck in recovering from your headaches, which i truly believe can and will happen for you, however, keep in mind that just because MNHI and joel saper say that they are the best, doesn't mean they are the alpha and omega of head pain treatment.  don't give up if you don't start finding pain relief in the coming months.  there are many, many great neurology and pain centers in this country, and there is no reason for a young person to spend their whole life in pain.

L0ki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By L0ki
@htr10 said:
"  great idea as far as the steam group. not to go off-topic, but i read through your blog.  i wish you the best of luck in recovering from your headaches, which i truly believe can and will happen for you, however, keep in mind that just because MNHI and joel saper say that they are the best, doesn't mean they are the alpha and omega of head pain treatment.  don't give up if you don't start finding pain relief in the coming months.  there are many, many great neurology and pain centers in this country, and there is no reason for a young person to spend their whole life in pain. "
Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread with kind words. My claim that they may be the best is actually based as much on a minimal amount of googling through headpain forums, not just their own braggadocio. They do like to toot their own horn though.
L0ki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By L0ki
Unfortunately I'm not getting much of a response from people :(    I guess this is just too niche a group. I'm planning to wait and see if my appeal is denied on GameSpot and if it is I'm going to email a couple of gamesites just to let them know my experience to put the word out there about GameSpots draconian methods.  (Let me know if you think this is a bad idea). 

But no other website I've posted this to has had an issue with me advertising a group specifically designed to help people with no financial motive whatsoever.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By zeforgotten
@L0ki said:
" Unfortunately I'm not getting much of a response from people :(    I guess this is just too niche a group. I'm planning to wait and see if my appeal is denied on GameSpot and if it is I'm going to email a couple of gamesites just to let them know my experience to put the word out there about GameSpots draconian methods.  (Let me know if you think this is a bad idea).   But no other website I've posted this to has had an issue with me advertising a group specifically designed to help people with no financial motive whatsoever. "
Instead of thinking that people here might have an inssue with this great idea maybe think something like: 
Maybe there's nobody here who fits the group. Maybe the people who've seen this thread so far don't know people who suffer from the same thing?  
No reason to make whiney-smileys about it people will come if they feel like it and if they don't then "meh".. right?
L0ki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By L0ki
@ZeForgotten:  No, you misinterpret what I'm saying. I'm just disappointed there aren't more fish biting so to say. I don't think anybody here has an issue as I've received nothing but a positive response, and I understand that if people do not fit the demographic they should not be applying to the group. The smiley wasn't intended to be whiny, I'm just sad that I haven't gotten more of a response is all. 

Of course if you don't suffer from a disability / chronic pain , or know somebody who does then the group probably isn't for you... or at least that certainly wasn't my initial intent with the group.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By JCTango

Well, it's only been a day or so, L0ki, maybe you'll get some people interested later on.

I followed ya for future reference - I'd join ya but I don't know if I'd have anything to contribute to your cause.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By zeforgotten
@L0ki: Just wait for it, more will join I'm sure of it
rav84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rav84

I can sympathize with you on this issue. I am a T4 paraplegic and have been so for 23 years. I started to get very similar headaches as of around 7-8 years ago. I had a few appointments with a local neurologist who had me get an MRI, and found that I have some sort of cyst near my spinal cord injury. I was told this is most likely the cause of the headaches that I receive. I get them very randomly, case in point: I sometimes get them in the late evening for an entire week every evening of that week or sometimes once or twice a month, when they do hit, they hit like a freight train.