Steam Link set up questions? Please help

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey yo gangster Bombers,

I bought a Steam Link and controller to play my favorite games on my tv in my bedroom. The initial set up was dope and worked great, but now it's stuck at a screen.

When I start my steam link it comes to a screen where it wants me to attach a link controller or a keyboard. I have the dongle plugged in to the link, and the controller is on. I also plugged the dongle in to my computer and did the firmware update.

So, now when i turn my link on, i get that screen, and my steam link controller is on, but it does not recognize it. However, if I plug a mouse and keyboard in it works fine, but that's not what i bought it for. I want to play games in bed without a keyboard and mouse.

Any help? Please?!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Bollard

Sounds like your Steam Controller isn't paired with the Steam Link. Also, for what it's worth, you don't need to use the USB dongle on the Steam Controller with the Link. It works without. I'll just paste the instructions from the Steam website:

The Steam Controller can be paired directly to the Link without using a wireless USB dongle. To pair your Steam Link and Steam Controller, please do the following:

• Turn your Steam Controller and Steam Link off.
  • Remove all input devices from the Steam Link and power it on.
  • When prompted, pick up your Steam Controller, then hold down (X) and press the Steam button.

You may also use a wireless USB dongle or mini-USB cable to connect your Steam Controller to your Steam Link.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9772-WHJM-4676

Once they are paired you can use the controller to turn the Link on, and it'll automatically be connected. If you pair it to your PC with the USB dongle again you will have to do the steps above again, though.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@upperdecker: If the pairing advice doesn't work, you can attach the Steam controller to the link with a USB cable and it'll work that way. You could then have a look in Settings and see if anything's not looking right.