Steam users with hundreds of games. Do you have them all installed or only the ones you currently play?

• 71 results
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Jams

Poll Steam users with hundreds of games. Do you have them all installed or only the ones you currently play? (254 votes)

I have all of my Steam games installed. They stay that way so I don't have to download them over and over again. 7%
I only install the games I'm currently playing (then uninstall when done). 49%
Once I'm done with a game I leave it installed So it builds over time. 17%
Other (I HAVE to uninstall games because my drive lacks the appropriate space to store all my games) 28%

I have over 300 Steam games and I'm wondering if I should have them all installed on a HDD dedicated to games (1TB drive) or just leave the drive like 90% empty and only install the games I'm playing to keep Windows from having a heart attack?

• 
SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I usually install games as I get them. I only end up uninstalling games only when my hard drive space is being taken up.

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I install games as I get them and if I'm not planning on playing a game again I'll uninstall it when I finish/get tired of the game. The saddest games are the ones that I install, never play and then uninstall when I get a better game that I feel like playing more and don't have enough disk space.

Currently I have about 25/200 games installed.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I have about half installed. I have been uninstalling things recently because games take up space D:

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By pr1mus

I suppose if i had enough space everything would be installed but at the same time i still have enough space for many more games so i really don't know. I tend to keep some games just in case or because i like some of them enough and think that i might want to replay them one day. Like Deus Ex Human Revolution, i finished it only once when it came out but never uninstalled it because i keep thinking one day i'll want to play it again.

I guess the real answer is that i'm completely inconsistent about it because now that i think about it there are definitely games i don't have installed that have way more chance of being played again then some already installed. I sorta stopped caring about it when my ISP started offering unlimited data plans.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I install games as I play them, then uninstall the ones I know I'll never go back to.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

I install everything to a dedicated 2TB drive and uninstall games when i finish them and know i probably won't play it again.

...and now that you bring it up, i should really play through Star Wars The Force Unleashed..that's suckers 25Gb

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God no. I only have 50 gigs left on this 1TB drive, and I only have... 25% of my games installed. I could install some to my tertiary drive (which is slower) but that is also almost full.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#8  Edited By DonutFever

What I'm playing + my favourite games.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I have about 40/275 games installed. I install games I'm currently playing and planning to play soon, just so I use my download cap before it gets renewed.

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have 2 1 TB drives but I still uninstall my games when I beat them.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When my library threatened to eclipse my HDD storage, I simply got a new hard drive. I don't expect it to get full for another few years.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I have a terabyte hard drive that was recently almost full of games. I uninstalled a good number of games that I simply wasn't playing, and now I have 32 of 143 games installed.

I keep more than just what I'm playing installed, though. There's a certain selection that I just don't uninstall, period, and some others that I plan on getting around to but haven't yet.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By circlenine

Of the ~300 games I have, I generally keep 30 or so installed. Those are the ones that I'd really want to play with any regularity. The others I'll just install as I want to play them.

YapaPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By YapaPanda  Online

I have a main ssd to play games on so I only install games I am playing. Around 10 to 20 games at most

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got almost every game installed of my over 200 games. I've been spreading it out all summer and had to buy a 2nd 3tb drive. I do install new high graphics and/or demanding games on my SSD and then move them when that starts filling up.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I've been meaning to get a hard drive large enough, but right now no. Got my multiplayer games on my SSD and a couple single player games I'm playing through atm.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What usually happens is something happens to force an upgrade which "resets" what I have installed.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have like 50 or 60 games and only about ten of them are installed.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I pretty much keep things installed.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gantrathor

Install when I want to play and then uninstall when I'm done.

I feel like a digital pack rat when I have tons of space taken up on my hard drive.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By maginnovision

I install when I buy the, usually. I uninstall when I lose interest in playing them, usually before I play them.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Wemibelle

My current tendency has been to uninstall them, as I like a nice clean hard drive and desktop. However, I just had a data cap instituted on my Internet, so I'm thinking I won't actually uninstall things anymore. I don't want to have to wait a week or more to reinstall something when I want to play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only uninstall if I HAVE to. Which hasn't happened since I had my last computer. The one I've had currently for a few years, I have about 130+ games on Steam/disc/bought from other sites and still have plenty of room. I'd only uninstall a game if I really didn't like it and buying it was a bad choice.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My desktop has a two TB secondary drive. So right now I just leave the games as I install them since I have a ways to go before its filled. Also have seasons 6 to 20 of Top Gear UK on there too, along with 8 seasons of Mythbusters.....

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well shit. My 1TB HDD I use for games just went bad (or so windows says). All while trying to download my entire library on it. Got to about 140 and a Hard Disk failure warning came up. So now I'm down to two 129GB SSD's which should be good enough to just have this or that installed.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#26  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

I only have games that I am either currently playing or may possibly get the urge to play.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Back when I only had a couple hundred, yeah, I had a separate 1TB drive with them (mostly) all installed. I'm up to 615 games now, which is obviously way more than can fit on a hard drive, so I just install games when I want to play them.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to transfer the games I'm not playing to my HDD. I only keep a few on my SSD because of space concerns -- 240GB just isn't enough to keep a maintain a sizeable library -- nothing worse than coming home after a Dota 2 update to find your drive has 0 bytes of free space! I have a couple of 3TB drives though so I don't uninstall games when I'm done.

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 264 of my 758 games on Steam installed. I use a 2TB HD for my Steam Drive, I also have about 75 GOG installed as well.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I install when I buy then uninstall when I'm finished with them. By finished I mean I finish the game or I'm finished with it.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1/113 games installed. The one being Terraria (for 1.2). I am a victim of Steam Sales :(.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Install as I get them, I'm very reluctant to uninstall for no good reason.

I have 264 of my 758 games on Steam installed. I use a 2TB HD for my Steam Drive, I also have about 75 GOG installed as well.

You and I have similar issues and should join a support group together.

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pocky4Th3Win

Install as I get them, I'm very reluctant to uninstall for no good reason.

@pocky4th3win said:

You and I have similar issues and should join a support group together.

I've tried... I even gotten married thinking that would help... but shes almost as bad as I am. :o

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an SSD for games so I usually have around 20-30 installed out of the 450 or so.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have every game that I think I might want to play sometime in the near future installed.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have only the ones I am currently playing and the ones I plan to play in the near future installed.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 38 games on my HDD, I usually play maybe 3 or 2 games a day. I'll spend a long time on one game in the weekend, most of the time it's for achievements.

Natedogg2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to download everything. Then I noticed I had pretty much no space left on my hard drive. Now I only have about 15-ish games downloaded (five games I could play any time, the current game I'm playing, and the rest games that I'm part ways through, but I keep them installed because some day I may go back and finish them).

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I only have 125 installed at the moment (out of >600). It's basically stuff I've played but I'm not finished with or am planning to play soon. Or just games that I like having installed if I want to jump in for a quick session (binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy etc.)

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually only keep the games I'm playing installed then uninstall them when I'm done.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I very rarely uninstall games, so they just stack up over time. I usually wipe my harddrive every 6 months or so though, so I currntly only have 6 games installled.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#43  Edited By StarvingGamer

E) Other, I only install games that I am currently playing or hope to play in the near future

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#45  Edited By isomeri

I can't fit all my games on my SSD so I leave most or all of them uninstalled. With a decent internet connection downloads take an hour or so at most for larger games like Skyrim or Max Payne 3.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By veektarius

I wish I could actually take games off my list entirely. Throw them out. I don't need to be reminded of how many I've bought.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

#47  Edited By bobafettjm

I end up installing games and pretty much leaving them there until I notice how much space they are taking up on my hard drive.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I'm one of those horrible people that will buy a lot of games during sales (or in Humble Bundles) that I never actually end up installing. But for the most part the things I have installed are the things I'm either playing or will theoretically come back to in the foreseeable future.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Switched to an SSD for games a while back, so I only keep the ones installed that I'm actively playing.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My steam library is still in the double digits, and I only have 5 installed right now.