Avatar image for fuzzytennisball
FuzzyTennisBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FuzzyTennisBall

The title pretty much says it all. I have both machines, but am struggling to decide which one to keep as my Primary console for my Third parties. I know XBox One X performs better, but I have been on PS4 for all this gen and am having a hard time committing to switching my library to XBox for the rest 9f the gen for my Third parties. Please give me some voices of reason to help me decide on which way to go.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like you've already picked one and have no real reason to switch over so don't worry about talking yourself into it.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bigsocrates

The power differential is minor so I probably would not switch for that but one thing to keep in mind is that the next Xbox will almost certainly be backwards compatible while it is more up in the air for PlayStation. Thus if carrying your library over to the next machine matters to you you may want to consider switching. Even if PS5 has backwards compatibility I think it is less likely they will enhance the old games on the new machine, while I think it is very likely Microsoft will.

That being said, if you have friends on PSN and prefer the ecosystem I don’t think switching is necessary. I started this gen as an Xbox gamer, then switched to primarily PS4 as it became clear that was the better machine and then back to Xbox with the launch of the X (I also have a PS4 Pro.) In the end I don’t really notice a difference and when I go back to my PS4 for a game like Spider-Man it still looks great to me. I really think you can’t go wrong with any of the machines currently on the market.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I love my Xbox One X, and some games are just fantastic looking on it.

That said, base PS4 does HDR, too, which is really my biggest graphical love since 720p/1080i.

I wouldn’t feel pressured to get the more powerful box, since they both do HDR great. But if the idea of more frames/second, higher resolution, etc. really calls to you and you have a few hundred bucks to blow, go for it. Why not?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nutter

@bigsocrates: Not having robust backwards compatibility next gen would be pretty inexcusable, to me.

Everything is x86, everything is digital(ly distributed), and pre-x86 hardware should be able to be pretty faithfully emulated.

I’d be super bummed out if PS5 didn’t emulate all prior Sony hardware and support wide-scale BC (work out day one Metal Gear and Silent Hill BC collections with Konami and I’m in for one on launch day). I’d be super shocked if Microsoft somehow dropped that ball...

EDIT: I know Microsoft is more of a software company than Sony, but it still kinda blows my mind that, with Sony’s richer back catalog of Playstation games, Microsoft is doing so much more to lead the BC charge.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

honestly, I don't really see any positives to switching to an Xbox from PS4 unless you want

1. minimal graphical updates

2. all your friends play on xbox and you want to play multiplayer with them.

I think almost all the good exclusives this generation are on PS4. I have a 4K tv and the regular PS4 is good enough for me because of HDR AND the system has a library you can't sneeze at. Honestly just kind of depends on how much money you can justify throwing away but I don't think its worth it, personally. I literally haven't turned my Xbox One on in like over a year; its my Halo box at this point (pre-Halo 4 box).

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m in the same boat. I have both consoles and am constantly trying to convince myself to get my next game on Xbox just so I feel like I’m using it. I think I have determined that I just hate the interface too much to try. Not that the PS4 UI is great in any way, but I’m used to it and I think “the devil you know” convinced me to just stay on the PS4.

All those damned useless, junk-filled tiles that I have no desire to interact with really put me off of it. Ugh.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

In my mind you are talking about slight variations in quality. At teh start of this generation PS 4 had a slight performances boost over XBox One. Now, Xbox One X has a slight performance increase over PS4 Pro. That it...it is slight for all the tacking going on when playing with a screen 4 to eight feet away you won't see a difference unless you look hard - very hard. And, sorry but even teh variation between PS4 Pro and Xbox One and PS4 (launch) are not that huge. You want a huge uplift or noticeably different from eight feet away - buy a PC.

I respect what websites like Eurogamer and Digital Foundry do for comparisons, but truly they're 'hair splitting' with reviews Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. The difference are often so slight that the quality or your HDTV/UHDTV, how far yoy sit from it, or even the color hue saturation can bury the differences. Thus, Digital Foundry can do a real disservice to gamers when they don't remind people of that they are talking single digit percentage point of frame-time and quality. The differences of a real game on your tv, with your setting, moving at 40 to 60 fps are so minor that it becomes somewhat meaningless except as math.

So, the question truly is what games do you want to play? Who has, which system has, the exclusives you want to play and those actually worth dumping access to games you have on the other system to make a new one "prime".

OleMarthin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i would say it depends on your financial situation. i have both half step systems and now only use the ps4 for exclusive games. until this year i almost exclusively played the ps4.

My reason for making the switch is listed below. if any of the items is something that you find compelling i would recommend getting an x. otherwise i think you are perfectly fine riding this gen our on the pro.

- i have the first pro so the fan is super loud compared to the x, i don't usually play with a headset so the fan noise got super annoying. This is probably my nr.1 reason for playing the xbox more than the ps4.

- if xbox exclusive games are something you spend a significant amount of time with i would consider upgrading anyways, the difference between ps4 pro and xbox one x is not hugh, but the difference between a normal xbox one and an x is significant.

- the upgrade in visuals are noticeable, but not worth braking the bank for. Games like Red Dead actually looks a lot better on the x. As others have mentioned the difference in other games are more limited and only really noticeable when you see them side by side.

FuzzyTennisBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@olemarthin: I actually have both consoles already. I'm just trying to decide whether to change my main console over to the X instead of the Pro. The only thing that's holding me back from doing that is that I'll be switching my main library (I'm all digital) which I've had all this gen from PlayStation over to Xbox right at the end of the gen.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Xbox one X is a much better console than the ps4 pro, especially if you have a 4k tv. The jump from the ps4 to pro isn't significant enough to justify it imo since the base PS4 already does HDR. You're better off waiting for the ps5 than spending $400 on a pro. If you're gonna get your money's worth get the X since that's going to have the best version of almost every game going forward. Native 4k is nice but most games that have a performance mode do way better on the X. Hitman 2 for example runs at almost 60fps on the X and the pro never comes close.

FuzzyTennisBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: As stated in my post. I already have both machines. I feel you've completely missed what I was asking..... Or didn't read my post before answering

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzytennisball: I read it fine. I mean, it depends if you want to switch machines for the rest of the gen and only you can answer that. It's pretty simple. Either get the Xbox if you want the best console experience for the rest of the gen or stick with your base PS4 and save money while you wait for 2020 to get a ps5.

FuzzyTennisBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: This is going to sound nasty, but I really don't mean it that way..... But you have not read it fine at all. You have just said to me to either stick with my base PlayStation or buy an Xbox One X..... My second sentence of my post says I already own both a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X..... I clarified and stated this to you again after your first post saying I already own both machines..... But you have now come back again saying "I read it fine", then proceeded to give me advise that is irrelevant to what I am asking.....

I'm sorry.... But it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people give their opinions or advise on a subject when they haven't read what is being asked. Like I said.... I know this is going to have come across mean, but it is not intended that way.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fuzzytennisball: nothing to be sorry about, you're right. I completely misunderstood. My bad. In that case I'd say stick with the pro for most games since you're already invested in that ecosystem, unless a game has a significant performance boost on the X.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy decision to me. The X1X is much quieter.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I’m missing something, but this doesn’t really seem like a problem to me, unless you’d be planning on selling the other console, which doesn’t seem to be the case. If a game performing/looking better matters to you a lot, just buy the best version of it. This year I’ve bought the latest Tomb Raider for X because it was cheaper than the PS4 one and Hitman 2 as well, because it ran better on X. Otherwise I play everything else on PS4, because I just like the system more and it has tons of great exclusives, which X (in my opinion) severly lacks.

If you play a lot online, then juggling between two systems at the same time can get annyoing, when you gotta have both Plus and Live running.

Of course, if you just find it personally difficult to focus between two systems, then I don’t know what to say.

OleMarthin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@fuzzytennisball: ah, then we are in the same situation, i probably own more then 10 times more games on the ps4, all digital. when you have both i would just play the game on the platform that makes the most sens for each game (best graphics, fps, game price, exclusive feature etc).

if you dont want to pay for both gold and + i would probably go with +. PS4 has a much bigger player base. then maybe get gamepass on the xbox.

i think you have a choice between two very good options. cant really go wrong:)

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By xanadu

One X is easily the better decision for third party non exclusive games. Some run at native 4k and always run at higher resolutions than the pro if they are not native. It's also a whisper quiet machine compared to the jet engine of the PS4. Easy choice IMO.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have both and play third party games on the One X nowadays. They run better and my Pro runs very loud now.

I'm happy to run both systems, plus a Switch and PC. There's no need to choose if you don't have to.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have both already why not keep both? You won’t get nearly as much as you paid for them if you sold them. Anyways if we’re talking third party stuff the X is the way to go. The power differential is usually pretty huge (see RDR2, major difference) plus the X is so ridiculously quiet compared to the jet engine that is the Pro.

Cusseta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think playing on the console your friends are on is almost always the deciding factor, but if that's not an issue...

Keep the PlayStation for its exclusives and everything else on Xbox