Stories told through multiple perspectives

War_Lion108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By War_Lion108

The biggest reason I like playing games is for the stories. I have a pretty big tolerance for bad stories, too. That said, my favorite type of stories are the ones told through multiple perspectives. The best example I can give is Sonic Adventure. There are six characters to play through, and each of them gives a different take on the over all story. You have to play them all to piece everything together. Sure it's not a great plot, but I like the way it is told.  

Another good example is Resident Evil 2. Once you beat it as one character, you can play the "B side" for the other to see what went down with them in the same continuity of your first character. 

I think this is an incredible plot device and I would like to see more of it. Can you guys think of some good ones?
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Modern Warfare games.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Akeldama

Heavy Rain look like its gonna be the pinnacle of this.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

I believe all of the games listed below have elements of what you are talking about although I admit I haven't played most of them.  However, I do recall reading about multiple plot lines depending on the character you are playing in some and converging plot lines while progressing through the story as different characters. 

1. Eternal Darkness
  2. Cold Winter
  3. Cy Girls
  4. Indigo Prophecy
  5. Rise of Kasai
  6. Shadow of Rome
  7. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
  8. Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions
  9. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
  10. Without Warning
The last one is the most unique, although from what I understand also boring, in that the same storyline is going on throughout the game but you play as different characters in tandem.  The game is about some terrorists who've take over a building.  At one point, you could be in the shoes of a receptionist trying to get out quietly.  At another point, you could be a security guard trying to rescue a hostage.  What made it different is that when you were the receptionist, you might see the security guard mission while undertaking your own escape mission.  Then back again as the guard, you could spot the receptionist trying to escape.  The developers wanted a real "Rashomon" feel for the tale.
evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By evilhomer

Suikoden 3 did this as well

Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Frederik

I absolutely love the parts of FF6 where it branches out... Probably one of the main reasons that it's one of my favorite games ever!