Strategy Vs. Tactics

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By zhinse

There's definately a difference between those two words. Which do you prefer and how would you define both words and types of gameplay? Which games use Strategy and which games use tactics.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i use both im cunning like a fox 

but if i had to choose id say tactics :P 
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kmdrkul

I see strategy games as games like Rise of Nations, Civilization, etc.  I see tactical games as Tom Clancy's Vegas, CS, World in Conflict etc.

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zhinse

i like strategy games but i was never all that smart or cunning, so I'm not all that great in them.  Positioning is a big thing in both genre, but i think i feel more impact when you get a good position in a more strategy esque game than a tactical esque game.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

Maybe the difference would be... Strategy = something planned beforehand. While Tactics = strategic elements being used in the moment. Honestly, I don't know what the hell I'm trying to say.

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zhinse

That's the point of this thread. :D

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 166

#7  Edited By zh666

there is no difference, it's the same meaning.  Tactics just sounds better at the end of a game title, that's all.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a Turn-Based Strategy game, while Warcraft is a Real Time Strategy game.  They both use tactics, and you need to strategize with them both.  The ony thing that seperates the "Strategy" genre is if the game is real time or turn based, and then after that, if they're RPGs or not..

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By xxNBxx

Well all the games that have Tactics in the tittle are about the same.  Turn based, small number of units (around 15) that seem to have more of an RPG element to them.  Strategy is the genre, Tactics is the sub-genre in Strategy. 

Thats how I see it at least.

MIALER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MIALER_DAEMON

I like homeworld

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
Kush said:
"Maybe the difference would be... Strategy = something planned beforehand. While Tactics = strategic elements being used in the moment. Honestly, I don't know what the hell I'm trying to say."
I get what you mean. I'm OK with strategy, but it tends to bore me. Micromanagement takes a lot of energy, although it's easy to get the hang of.

Tactics, on the other hand, I love. Thinking on your feat is way better, in my opinion. There's so much more skill involved.

zh666 said:
"there is no difference, it's the same meaning.  Tactics just sounds better at the end of a game title, that's all.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a Turn-Based Strategy game, while Warcraft is a Real Time Strategy game.  They both use tactics, and you need to strategize with them both.  The ony thing that seperates the "Strategy" genre is if the game is real time or turn based, and then after that, if they're RPGs or not.."
Wrong. It's like saying a magazine and a clip are the same; they aren't. And tactics/strategy are entirely different.
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By OGCartman

Balls > Strategy + Tactics

U can map out how to do a battle, il be the dude just runs in there LEEERRROOYYY JEENNKKIINNSS and starts pwning ass

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_

Leroy Jenkins got his bitch ass raped.

zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zh666
Jayge said:
"Kush said:
"Maybe the difference would be... Strategy = something planned beforehand. While Tactics = strategic elements being used in the moment. Honestly, I don't know what the hell I'm trying to say."
I get what you mean. I'm OK with strategy, but it tends to bore me. Micromanagement takes a lot of energy, although it's easy to get the hang of.

Tactics, on the other hand, I love. Thinking on your feat is way better, in my opinion. There's so much more skill involved.

zh666 said:
"there is no difference, it's the same meaning.  Tactics just sounds better at the end of a game title, that's all.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a Turn-Based Strategy game, while Warcraft is a Real Time Strategy game.  They both use tactics, and you need to strategize with them both.  The ony thing that seperates the "Strategy" genre is if the game is real time or turn based, and then after that, if they're RPGs or not.."
Wrong. It's like saying a magazine and a clip are the same; they aren't. And tactics/strategy are entirely different.
"
then why isn't there a "tactics' genre on this site, gamespot or ANY site ever made like this? because it's not a genre!
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

tactics are speciifcally a form of something a unit users, strategy is specifically what the unit is trying to do and how they will go about it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
zh666 said:
"Jayge said:
"Kush said:

zh666 said:

"
then why isn't there a "tactics' genre on this site, gamespot or ANY site ever made like this? because it's not a genre!"
I'm talking in terms of gameplay, not genres. However, there are definitely games that fall into a Tactical genre.
zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zhinse

Yeah, tactics is basically a sub-genre to strategy. But the difference between gameplay is quite noticeable.

chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chazer127

Stratagy = Rise of nations / warcraft 1-3 / Halo wars, so basicly games where you comand an army of forces and tacke over city ect
Tactics   = FF tactics / luminous arc / Fire emblam, basicly games that give you a set number of forces (usually 8 or 9) and give you mission to kill all of the oposing side in a small area

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Systech

I prefer to bash through the front door and see what happens.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_
chazer127 said:
"Stratagy = Rise of nations / warcraft 1-3 / Halo wars, so basicly games where you comand an army of forces and tacke over city ect
Tactics   = FF tactics / luminous arc / Fire emblam, basicly games that give you a set number of forces (usually 8 or 9) and give you mission to kill all of the oposing side in a small area"
Those are actually SRPG, or Strategy Role Playing Games, actually. Still considered strategy.
jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By jlaudio7

Strategy applies to a large group of people and usually takes place in large-scale battles. Tactics are used by a person or small group of people and are usually used outside of large-scale battles.

Starcraft uses strategy, Rainbow Six uses tactics.
This is obviously just my opinion.
also, I suck ass at strategy games, but I'm alright at tactics.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zh666
chazer127 said:
"Stratagy = Rise of nations / warcraft 1-3 / Halo wars, so basicly games where you comand an army of forces and tacke over city ect
Tactics   = FF tactics / luminous arc / Fire emblam, basicly games that give you a set number of forces (usually 8 or 9) and give you mission to kill all of the oposing side in a small area"
all strategy games...
chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chazer127
Jayge said:
"chazer127 said:
Those are actually SRPG, or Strategy Role Playing Games, actually. Still considered strategy."
well im stupid...