Strats for nabbing a Xbox series X today or a PS5 on Thursday

• 72 results
VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@bmccann42: Would you be willing to pay shipping? I'm in St. John's. Also, bear in mind I don't know for sure my second order will end up getting filled.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vikingrk: Sure, what model is it? Digital or the Disc version?

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital. I'd also be selling with a 2nd controller (again, EB forced this bundle on me). It'd be $678.48 CAD plus whatever shipping ends up being.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vikingrk: Cool, I PM'd you a message and my details.

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By RobertForster

@vikingrk: I live in upstate New York, but I would gladly pay for shipping.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Gundato  Online

Ha ha. Set up distill just to get a feel for it and it seems like Sony updated their site to account for people who were doing non-stop refreshing yesterday.

Honestly, I really should just not bother. Especially as I will probably want to wait for the re-releases for Nioh 1 and 2. But been kind of fun to check in on this periodically

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By DoctorTran

My roommate and I were originally planning on scouting out the local Walmart’s and GameStop, then we saw the Xbox Series X All Access available to order through GameStop online, and we were both approved... so we just ended up doing that. That said, we’re still both waiting I see some movement on shipping. Both of our shipping confirmation emails said they would be delivered 11/14. My tracking number currently says “ Awaiting Carrier Pickup” and has given me estimates ranging from 11/19-11/24. Sometimes going from 11/20 one hour and 11/19 or 11/24 the next. At this point it’s just kind of a reassurance that a console will eventually find its way to me. Sometime...

Now I just need to figure out how to get the ball rolling with Citizens One. It doesn’t seem to like my bank information.

digitaldisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My strategy was to pay $800 for an XSX via Craigslist. Not for everybody, but worked for me.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Gundato  Online

Just a friendly reminder to people: Unless you are trying to win your children's love Turboman style (we really need a remake of that movie but with Its Always Sunny Sinbad), just wait. There will be more PS5s and Xboxes (and 3080s...) in the spring. So why spend hundreds of dollars more now?

Between Sony cocking up their direct ordering so badly (the key to buying one was to use every single community specific known exploit in the queue) and Nioh remastered in feb I decided to just not bother. Would be nice for Demon Souls and Astrobot but I am now really down to 1.5 games I would play before Feb... at which point I will probably have my new ryzen and my 3080 and not care about a PS5.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#62 berfunkle  Online

I ordered my XSX from Walmart last week, Tuesday, for an in store pickup. Checking for several days afterwards my account would state that the order was delayed. There was a pending charge on my cc , but I expected to get a cancellation notice. I mean, it was "delayed" for almost a week!

This morning, I saw that my credit card was officially charged, but no mention on my Walmart account page whether the XSX had arrived. So, I go to Walmart in person and ask if they have my Xbox. They did! Believe it or not they did! I was shocked to say the least! Especially after having to wait a good 15 - 20 minutes after speaking with a Walmart associate who didn't know one way or the other if Xboxes were in. When she came back, she told me that she had to track the person down with a key because there were a bunch of them within a locked, caged partition. I was going to ask if they had any PS5s in that cage, but I didn't want to press my luck!

Word to anyone who ordered for an in-store pickup. You should call your local Walmart to see if they have them.

Boss_Zsiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@berfunkle: Congrats! Glad it worked out for you and thanks for the tip!

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Viqor

I guess I'm in this boat now too since FedEx "lost" the PS5 I pre-ordered months ago during delivery (it was somehow marked as delivered even though it never showed up at my house).

As for strategy, I've been using an automatic page refresher to update each site that might have every 30 seconds, sitting on a second monitor while I work. I am also trying out the Chrome extension "Octoshop" that I found on Reddit, it's supposed to push a windows notification when stock comes in.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viqor: Ouch, what a nightmare. I really hope that doesn't happen to me! I managed to pre-order one from Wal-mart on launch day, but they gave me a delivery estimate of 11/25 and it hasn't even shipped yet. I don't think I'm going to be able to breathe easily until it's actually in my hands.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Gundato  Online

So been watching a few boards do their hunt and it sounds like Sony fixed their site so you can't use an ad blocker to skip the queue anymore. And they do windows for queue insertion so that folk who spend all day reloading (or have a script to reload their page all day) aren't given significantly more preference than people following wario64 or who get told to get in line by a friend.

That actually sounds really fair and good. And surprisingly fast/"agile" for Sony of all companies to implement over a weekend.

So yeah. If you are going hard at it there are probably better alternatives. But if you actually want to have a reasonable chance without dedicating your life to this, the sony direct site seems pretty legit. And MUCH better than the bullshit last week of needing to patrol the internet for exploits.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Any recommendations for UK folks? Twitter accounts to follow? Sites to bookmark? Looking for wario64 PAL edition.

ktop5566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had luck on the direct Sony site. I logged in early in the morning and refreshed the page every 20 minutes or so to refresh/keep my session. When ps5's went live I got to skip the queue since I already had a session on the direct.playstation website

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasted my morning looking for consoles and came up with nothing. I hate the launch rush so I'll probably give it a couple of weeks.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Trying to get a PS5 has been awful this go round. Xbox seems to have been a little better, with some actual windows where they're available for almost an hour or whatever. PS5 is like an ultra rare drop in an MMO. This is going to be the Wii all over again, except for a Wii I went to Nintendoworld and I'm not going outside for a PS5 because I want one bad enough to camp out overnight but not bad enough to risk getting covid and endangering my elderly mom and stepdad when I go visit them.

Rohsiph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the big launch wave is over, didin't consider popping in here before hand... in NL, I managed to snag a XSX from Microsoft Store by following a thread on tweakers.net and almost got a PS5 to ship next week from Amazon today but wasn't quick enough... however caught an order from a smaller store shipping in December, so I have both systems ordered at least.

It took me quite a while to find a local community keeping on top of all this in NL, so hope maybe this can help someone--probably also can help for DE and BE.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Yeah, covid hasn't helped. Brick and mortar is out of the equation unless you're lucky to grab stock at a supermarket. GAME's website broke immediately, Argos put them back on the website with a fat 'out of stock' and Amazon might've seen emails to select customers but the stock didn't seem to re-up.

It's one of the reasons I don't tend to bother with launches. I don't do it right. I usually get these things in April second-hand.