Subnautica: Below Zero Impressions?

crashman06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crashman06

Anyone played the full release yet and have some thoughts to share? I was completely enthralled by the exploration in the first game and spent a ton of time cruising around the different biomes in my carefully customized Cyclops and building differently styled bases at different depths. I almost never finish survival games and I actually gladly finished that one. I also really liked how it drip fed me the story. I just have a lot of really fun memories from that first game and am hoping this one might scratch the same itch.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I played the Early Access version a few months ago and loved it. Its sense of discovery isn't quite what the original had because that's just lightning in a bottle, but it does a lot of other cool stuff and does it better. It's also gorgeous, performs way better, has significant quality of life improvements, and is much better about pulling you along through every biome. If you enjoyed 1, you'll almost certainly enjoy this one

Edit: Since you mentioned it... this game replaces the cyclops and seamoth with one vehicle, the sea truck, which pulls a bunch of containers with various functions behind it.

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've put a few hours into it, I'm enjoying so far, at first it felt very similar to the first one but there's a story in this so that's an added hook. I will have to see how it plays out first before I recommend it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put about 15 hours into the PS4 version and at this point I'm mostly just reminded about how I felt about the first one. Like 90% of all early access games with good fundamental gameplay, it fails to evolve beyond that. It's fun to scrounge for materials, build your little crafting hub, build your seatruck etc etc, but then... that's it. There's a fair deal of extra things you can do and build if you want, but it's mostly fluff. I already had this same exact experience with Valheim earlier in the year, and that even delivers more depth that this one.

As far as the story goes, let's not kid ourselves, it's a basic framework to give the game a tiny bit of structure. And their "mysterious" approach to telling it just makes me less interested. The first one was more intriguing because it continuously threw you for a loop by taking the game in new directions (a good example of being successful at evolving the game as it goes along), but the surprise factor is gone with this one.