Avatar image for without_substance
without_substance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By without_substance

Reminiscing about FFX has put me in the mood to sink another huge chunk of my life into an RPG. I have a long list of JRPGs that I want to get once I hook up my PS2 again, but I was wondering if there are any decent turn based RPGs for the PC, PSX or DS that I could get in the mean time. I'm looking for the type of RPGs that have random battle encounters and let you run in circles, fighting battle after battle, levelling up your character, while keeping one eye on whatever's on TV.  I'd ask for games for the 360 as well, but one, there aren't many, and two, there are way too many action-y games I want get before the year's over.

On a side not, why aren't there many sprite based RPGs anymore? Apart from Disgaea and the Tales games there aren't many games with lush cartoony goodness, especially now that sprites look so great in HD.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By mordecaix7

Well I'm not much of a fan of random battle rpgs, but if you haven't played Lost Odyssey (X360) that's a good one to get.  Besides Tales of Vesperia, it's pretty much the best RPG on 360.  Otherwise, you could go back and rock out some Final Fantasy 7-9.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Yit

I like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, not sure if that counts as an RPG, but I love it to death.

without_substance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By without_substance
mordecaix7 said:
"Well I'm not much of a fan of random battle rpgs, but if you haven't played Lost Odyssey (X360) that's a good one to get.  Besides Tales of Vesperia, it's pretty much the best RPG on 360.  Otherwise, you could go back and rock out some Final Fantasy 7-9."
Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey are on my list of games to get after the deluge of other games that are coming out this year. Plus Vesperia doesn't come out here in Europe until early 2009. I'm in the process of getting all the FF games that I haven't already played.
without_substance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By without_substance

I hated Final Fantasy Tactics' whole grid-based combat system, one of the reasons why I've stayed away from the Disgaea series, though I might check out Disgaea DS.