Suggestions for a good, beginner RTS

HektikLyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HektikLyfe

With all the talk of C&C lately I have decided to finally give them another shot.   RTS games have always caught my eye, but the learning curve has been WAY to steep for most of the ones I have tried.  Believe it or not the very first time I EVER played Starcraft was last year!  I had some fun with the multi-player but couldn't get into the single player.  Now I'm looking to get into a great single player RTS experience but I want to be able to finish the game.

Since there are a LOT of PC games that come and go without much fanfare I decided to call upon the Giant Bomb community.  Please help me out.

I'm looking for a beginner RTS, preferably sci-fi with a great single player campaign.  I know I'll get my arse handed to me on multi-player so I don't even want to waste my time there.  Hopefully something less chaotic than Supreme Commander.

I really enjoyed the premise, music and "feel" of Homeworld but got stuck halfway through.

Graphics are "somewhat" important but they won't make or break the sale.  More important to me is the story, accessibility and how well it envelopes you.

Any suggestions?

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

Hmmm.... you should check out Warhammer Dawn of War, the singleplayer of the original game was very engaging and epic while the expansions are less story based and more free forming. The sequal is a mix of both campaign wise, but the game plays more like a squad based tactical RPG then a straight forward RTS.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I was going to suggest Supreme Commander, until you mentioned it; as it's my favourite RTS.
If you want something a little simpler perhaps try the Dawn of War series, less focus on base building and resource management and more focus on the combat.
If you enjoyed Homeworld, try Sins of a Solar Empire; just be ready for an extremely slow paced game [albeit an excellent one]

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Driadon

I was going to mention Sins of a Solar Empire as well, but you didn't really mentioned what you liked in a single player game and since Sins has no direct 'campaign' I 
disregarded it. That said, Sins does have a demo if you're interested.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#5  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I think the best bet for a "beginner" RTS series would be to pick up the Command and Conquer 10 Year packaged deal, and start from the beginning.  Most of the early games were fairly easy to get into.  If you're not wanting to dip that far back, Command and Conquer Generals has some pretty decent introductory sequences, but you'll really learn the most by playing the AI on skirmish mode with its varying degrees of difficulty.
iiNF3RNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By iiNF3RNo

starcraft

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Rise of Nations is a great and easy to learn RTS, although not SciFi

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Savage moon.
Command and Conquer the first decade though if you have a vista machine or XP for that matter it pretty much is guaranteed not to work since all EA did was repackage the games they did next to no updating to make them work with XP.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Toxin066

I'd suggest Age of Empires 2. It's a really easy game to get in to.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Driadon
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" Savage moon. Command and Conquer the first decade though if you have a vista machine or XP for that matter it pretty much is guaranteed not to work since all EA did was repackage the games they did next to no updating to make them work with XP. "
I own first decade and all of the games work perfectly fine (outside of the no-longer-supported multiplayer service for just about all of them) on my XP machine.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By crusader8463

CnC 10 year package is all win. Start with CnC 95/Red Alert and work your way up. That was where i started with RTS back when i was a kid and haven't stopped since. Not to mention i have bought half the games in that package 4-5 times over the years as i kept losing the disks lol.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@Driadon said:
" @WilliamRLBaker said:
" Savage moon. Command and Conquer the first decade though if you have a vista machine or XP for that matter it pretty much is guaranteed not to work since all EA did was repackage the games they did next to no updating to make them work with XP. "
I own first decade and all of the games work perfectly fine (outside of the no-longer-supported multiplayer service for just about all of them) on my XP machine. "
I had an XP machine and C&C 1 refused to work, as well as red alert 1, both worked on Vista through yet tiberian sun refused to work on the vista machine neither did red alert 2 or yuris revenge.
atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By atlantabrave04

Not an RTS, but a simple, easy to learn but hard to master type stategy game... Advance Wars. Can't beat the price.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Ehhh.... Beginner and RTS are not words that work well together.

HektikLyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HektikLyfe

Hmmm, great suggestions.  I picked up Advanced Wars Dual Strike and find it enjoyable enough but it didn't give me that sci-fi feel.  (Or any story whatsoever.)  I know I have Company of Heroes floating around here somewhere.

I've heard a LOT of good things about Sins of a Solar Empire.   I just watched a video of it and it looks great but like absolute madness!  I guess it's just not the genre for me.  I can't seem to wrap my mind around everything that's going on on screen.  I will give the demo a shot but it looks like one of those I will get a few missions into then give up because of the complexity, not necessarily the difficulty level. 

Warhammer looks interesting.  For some reason I always expected Warhammer to be Warcraft style.  I never "dawned" on me that 40K was a future reference.  I never looked into it.  Command & Conquer looks good.  I can't find that 10 year package on Steam but I see it for $20 at Best Buy.

OK, cool.  Than you all for your help.  I have some demos to try. :)

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By KaosAngel

APM is everything.  If your APM is low, it shows you'll never be able to play the game well.  So memorize the build orders, hotkeys, and only use your mouse for clicking.  Your keyboard should be the main way to play.  Memorize hotkeys!  This cannot be stressed enough.

If your APM is less than 120, you should try another genre because you will have little to no chance to play the game online.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Driadon
@HektikLyfe said:
" Hmmm, great suggestions.  I picked up Advanced Wars Dual Strike and find it enjoyable enough but it didn't give me that sci-fi feel.  (Or any story whatsoever.)  I know I have Company of Heroes floating around here somewhere.  I've heard a LOT of good things about Sins of a Solar Empire.   I just watched a video of it and it looks great but like absolute madness!  I guess it's just not the genre for me.  I can't seem to wrap my mind around everything that's going on on screen.  I will give the demo a shot but it looks like one of those I will get a few missions into then give up because of the complexity, not necessarily the difficulty level.   Warhammer looks interesting.  For some reason I always expected Warhammer to be Warcraft style.  I never "dawned" on me that 40K was a future reference.  I never looked into it.  Command & Conquer looks good.  I can't find that 10 year package on Steam but I see it for $20 at Best Buy. OK, cool.  Than you all for your help.  I have some demos to try. :) "
I think you might be surprised how simple Sins is. Yes, it does look convoluted at first glance but that's mostly due to the large scope of it all.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187
@SirPsychoSexy said:
" Rise of Nations is a great and easy to learn RTS, although not SciFi "
I was going to say this as well.  If you want it to mix up sci-fi a little, go with Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends.  It's a good pick-up-and-play type of RTS, and it's got a bit of steampunk sci-fi going on with it.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zombie2011

COMPANY OF HEROS. Get it and play it now.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic

my very first was Age of Empires if thats considered RTS

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By StarFoxA

Pick up Command & Conquer: The First Decade. It's about $20 new, and includes like 10+ games.

Edit: There's also an Age of Empires collection I saw at Wal-Mart for $10, which includes the first two Age of Empires and their expansions.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaneDev
@zombie2011 said:
" COMPANY OF HEROS. Get it and play it now. "
Also when are they making a Homeworld 3 its been so long
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By torus

Age of Empires II, Age of Empires III (better graphics, slightly inferior gameplay) . Sins of a Solar Empire as well. 

I too would love to see a Homeworld III. If it's in development, it will be made by THQ.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

I might not call it an RTS exactly, but Dawn of War 2 would be a great way of breaking yourself into the genre gently.  In recent years, traditional RTSs have perhaps relied a little too much on the player having acquired knowledge from years of RTS playing - DoW2 is a clean break from that.

If you don't mind playing older games, the early C&C games are still probably the best examples of simple, fun RTS gaming.

Age of Mythology has a brilliant campaign which never becomes particularly challenging or overwhelming, but obviously isn't sci fi.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By FLStyle
@jakob187 said:
" @SirPsychoSexy said:
" Rise of Nations is a great and easy to learn RTS, although not SciFi "
I was going to say this as well.  If you want it to mix up sci-fi a little, go with Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends.  It's a good pick-up-and-play type of RTS, and it's got a bit of steampunk sci-fi going on with it. "
I loved that game, those tanks were huuuuuge.
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By lemon360

WarCraft 2. /thread
Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warcraft 3 is one I started playing again recently and really enjoying. I have never been really good at RTS or play them too much, but I have been find Warcraft pretty easy to pick up.

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Tasus

My favourite is Company of Heroes. But if you want something easy and simple, I'd suggest Age of Empires

sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sdauz

i would probably agree and say age of empires II specifically, but then u should probably branch out and try different styles like 1) Dawn of War/Company of Heroes styled RTSs, 2) more C&C styld RTSs, 3) Total War styled RTSs, 5) World in Conflict styled ones....there r soo many styles now u'll probably find 1 u like. 

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

You know, if you got a 360, Halo Wars could work.  I didn't think the campaign was super-awesome or anything, but the online was real fun with friends.  It's designed as a simplified "My First RTS!" for consoles, but even though it isn't as complex, it retains the core gameplay of an RTS.  All the other choices people have are great as well, but don't just dismiss Halo Wars cause it is on a console!
Xeno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Xeno

Play StarCraft again until you like it.

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers