musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi
No Caption Provided

Hello folks. I usually make one of these topics every time there are one of these things to spread the good word. Now I know a lot of you already know what to expect BUT if you haven't watched one of these or even know what Games Done Quick is I got a mini FAQ below.

What is Games Done Quick?

"Games done Quick" is a week long marathon where a bunch of speed runners from the SDA and other speed running communities come together to play games and raise money for a good cause. There are two annual events. Awesome Games Done Quick and its sister event Summer Games Done Quick.

What is money being raised for?

Medecins sans Frontieres a.k.a Doctors Without Borders is a humanitarian aid non-profit organization. They are on the front lines in areas affected by hunger, disease and natural disasters.

What games are being played?

You can check out the schedule right here.

Where Can I watch?

You can check the action out starting on the 26th on GDQ's Twitch page or if you would rather hang out with Giantbomb Duders mod @chaser324 will be embedding the streams on Explosiveruns.com where you can hang out in an IRC chat and chat with other duders.

Where Can I Donate?

You can check out the Donation Tracker right here. You can also check out the runs page on the donation tracker here where you can see the donation incentives for each run.

Community Donation Efforts

Each event for fun the Giantbomb Community decides on a donation incentive to pool all of our money towards. Some past examples are donating to name Yoshi "Gerstmann" in Paper Mario and naming Robo "RyanD" in honor of the Rough Tough and Dangerous Ryan Davis. Once everyone collectively decides on what everyone should donate to I'll update this spot.

Old Stuff! Get yourself Hype!

You can catch up on the last event and plenty more by going over to the GDQ YouTube Page where they have playlists for entire events including the previous event AGDQ 2015.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I AM SO READY. I watched as much of the ESA as I could and I loved it. I actually just got done watching a speed-run.

I can't wait for this.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Full schedule, for those interested.

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Sonic runs are always fun to watch and I'm keen to see what gets done to FEAR. Kinda wish the Arkham Origins run was the whole game and not just the DLC.

zokamoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silent Hill 2 on Monday morning awwww yisssssss

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOLY SHIT. I just took a good look at the schedule. They are playing TRAG! If you haven't ever seen TRAG boy are you guys in for a TREAT.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

:D Some great stuff on the lineup. I was thinking of playing through FEAR before the speedrun, but I doubt I'll get around to it.

Also, I'll try to donate more this time around.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

So it's time to figure out another donation incentive. Any ideas out there yet? We can't let the French beat us again.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Super excited to watch another SGDQ with all of you!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Can't wait for this. I will be joining you all on the explosive runs chat as usual and much merriment will be had.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nime

Not to detract from the hype or anything but I'm curious - does anyone find each subsequent AGDQ or SGDQ to be less interesting? I don't know if they're getting too big, if it's the tone change, or if I've just seen most of the speedruns already so they're less fresh, but I just don't enjoy them quite like I used to. Don't get me wrong, they're still a blast, but nothing like they were two or three years ago.

There has also been a good deal of drama around who is running them and how they're doing it, especially at the last AGDQ which had a lot of controversial policies. Some blame these for killing some of the hype for the people there and the viewers and "sterilizing" the event a bit. They just don't feel like they used to and it bums me out a bit. Meh.

Still looking forward to it overall.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I'm rill trill hype for LoZ no sword run

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nime: I think that just goes with the territory of getting larger. Yeah, the smaller original events seemed to have a bit more heart to them but they were also flying by the seat of their pants quite often. As big as they are now you can't afford to do that anymore. The larger your thing gets the more you have to think about how you organize it.

As for the runs themselves the last event had a lot of new runners and there are a lot of new games at this event so I think it should be fresh enough to be entertaining. I can see where you're coming from but I also hope you might pop in the IRC chat and hang out with us. :)

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: I'll definitely still come watch and hang out. I didn't mean to be a downer just a bit nostalgic for the past days - the shift is totally understandable as you said.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nime: Nah, its a reasonable observation. I've noticed a lot of change in tone as well. And there has been a lot of drama that has gone on off camera in recent years.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Glad to see more Tetris: TGM on the docket this year. The developers of that game are crazy, and the people who got amazing at it are crazier.

shrinerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Contradiction? No sale!!!

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Top8Gamer

@nime: Yea as someone who has watched every event since they started, I don't mind the production changes. Anything that can get the time down in between game setups would be a welcome addition as that's really where it bogs down. The cameras have been getting better and better and that's been nice. As for the games themselves there's still something new or fun I look forward to and check out. I mean yea I skip the mega man blocks or Trihex doing Yoshi's Island now for example as they do them every time but there's plenty to look forward to for veterans for sure.

I'm actually really looking forward to the Pokemon Blue 151 pokemon run as usually Pokemon runs aren't really speed-running so much as just editing the save file to warp you to the end.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely watching the awful games! How many will Alex be playing this time?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nime said:

Not to detract from the hype or anything but I'm curious - does anyone find each subsequent AGDQ or SGDQ to be less interesting? I don't know if they're getting too big, if it's the tone change, or if I've just seen most of the speedruns already so they're less fresh, but I just don't enjoy them quite like I used to. Don't get me wrong, they're still a blast, but nothing like they were two or three years ago.

There has also been a good deal of drama around who is running them and how they're doing it, especially at the last AGDQ which had a lot of controversial policies. Some blame these for killing some of the hype for the people there and the viewers and "sterilizing" the event a bit. They just don't feel like they used to and it bums me out a bit. Meh.

Still looking forward to it overall.

I think its the repeated runs that bring me down a touch. Unless you follow a game closely to know what route changes have happened, there's little reason to watch a run you've seen the majority of. If they trimmed some of the more established blocks that might allow a more unique showcase. I guess that's why I prefer the likes of Silent Hill and FPS's getting on the schedule.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Capum15

One of my favorite weeks of the year. Looking forward to it; always some good runs to watch from the archive when I inevitably miss a day or two.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TASbot and Tetris GM. These were my big surprises from AGDQ, glad to see it returning.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get HYPE everyone. This thing kicks off tomorrow! Remember if you wanna chat with Giantbomb peeps head over to Explosiveruns.com and we can hang out in the IRC chat there.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By turboman

I did a quick glance of the Bid Incentives this year and wrote all of them that had some kind of custom entry, here's my quick thoughts:

No idea what could be from Digimon, Borderlands... here's some ideas though for the rest

Donkey Kong Country 3 - Make it a bid war between Kirkhope (KIRK) or Wise (WISE)

Majora's Mask - Jeff hates the game, Dan loves the game. I think everyone else is indifferent (unless you count Patrick)

Earthbound - You can only choose one letter to go with a last name... Jeff G is the only that makes sense, but it's not interesting at all.

Earthbound player name - It says in the description 24 characters... so we could put whatever the fuck we want to in there and have it pop up throughout the entire game

Fallout Character - I can't think of any direct relation to anybody on staff, but 11 characters is a nice thing

Pokemon Blue Trainer & Rival - I had the idea last year of doing Ryckert vs. Conseco. Maybe we could do something similar this year with Ryckert vs. Xavier (or any other idea could work)

Name any character for Chrono Trigger - We did RyanD a few years ago for Robo. Nothing is popping out to me now, but if anyone has any ideas that would be cool.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By musubi

@turboman: The 24 letters thing seems promising. Im trying to think of a short phrase that could be used. Maybe something like "Ryckert fears Xavier" or I dunno..

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait! Should be good.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tetris is at 7:40 PM on monday.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: On paper Tetris sounds like the most boring spectator game until you see the crazy stuff they end up actually doing.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

Fallout Character - I can't think of any direct relation to anybody on staff, but 11 characters is a nice thing

Fun fact: "Dan Ryckert" is exactly 11 characters long...

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: If I recall correctly, the 24 character Earthbound name only shows up at the end of the game.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32 chaser324  Moderator

10 Minutes 'Til Hype.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nice, thanks for the reminder! Wanted to watch some stuff in the background as I get some stuff done in and around the home.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BeachThunder
amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By amafi

YES!

Really sad I can't get this week off work like I've done for most of'em, but I'll be over at explosiveruns whenever I can. The chat for AGDQ this january was fantastic.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@demoskinos: I feel like any game that is simple to understand when played at a high level is incredible, though in the case of Tetris they just made batshit insane games for like a dozen people in the world to play; which is simultaneously awesome and baffling.

If you compare with something like Dark Souls it's not too hard to see yourself doing most of the non glitchy stuff that a speed runner does in those games so even if you couldn't beat the record you could probably get vaguely close (like within 15 minutes or so) because you have to attain a minimum skill level to even beat the game in the first place (outside of co-op).

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By musubi

Still at work for a few hours but I'll join you gents as soon as I get off work. :)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Opening with a roundtable discussion is weird. I guess they have to do something during setup.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Room seems a lot bigger.

They should just get an EVO sized room full of couches.

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: wooo, great times had on there for AGDQ a few months back...

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How come GB doesn't restream SGDQ? Would love be in a GB chat instead of Twitch.

Woodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets see how many hours of this I can watch... ^^ And I would also love to see a GB chat page up if possible for this event.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

How come GB doesn't restream SGDQ? Would love be in a GB chat instead of Twitch.

come hang out in the explosiveruns.com irc chat. It's pretty much the same thing.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

What's the GB Donation this time? We doing RyanD again for Robo? Perhaps something Ryckert themed?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

These guys just went from 15k to 25k in about an hour. It's moving fast. It's like they are speed-running donations.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#47  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I wish we had GB chat open for this :(

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the world we live in. Think of this charity stream as a kickstarter.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hassun
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By golguin

Is GB going to open up a chat for this? Is it a button someone pushes?

EDIT: People are already donating for Jeff's favorite game to have his name :).