AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

Edited By AgentJ
For parts 1-30 click here
The Video Game culture has quite a number of icons, and while Nintendo has created quite a number of them, they certainly dont have a monopoly on awesome characters. as such, it is my distinct pleasure to create a list of third party presence in Super Smash Brothers unlike anything we have seen in the series prior. Every weekday I'll bring you a blog on the third party characters that deserve a place in Nintendos next Civil War. I am completely open to suggestions, and if you feel a deserving character has been left out, tell me why they should make it and I'll potentially make some changes. 

Rules:
  • No more than four characters per franchise
  • Characters will be known for their video game presence over all other multimedia endeavors
  • Characters must be important and in almost all cases have a distinct personality

Shantae
Shantae
Shantae
Synopsis: Shantae is in charge of protecting the port of Scuttle Town, and when her city is invaded by Risky Boots and her villainous pirates, Shantae takes it upon herself to foil Risky's evil plot. Her attacks consist mostly of using her long purple hair as a whip, and she is able to use unique dance moves to transform herself into animals, allowing her to access otherwise inaccessable places. 
Notable Appearances: Shantae, Shantae Advance(which was unfortunately canceled)
SSB4 Likelyhood: 1/10

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AgentJ
For parts 1-30 click here
The Video Game culture has quite a number of icons, and while Nintendo has created quite a number of them, they certainly dont have a monopoly on awesome characters. as such, it is my distinct pleasure to create a list of third party presence in Super Smash Brothers unlike anything we have seen in the series prior. Every weekday I'll bring you a blog on the third party characters that deserve a place in Nintendos next Civil War. I am completely open to suggestions, and if you feel a deserving character has been left out, tell me why they should make it and I'll potentially make some changes. 

Rules:
  • No more than four characters per franchise
  • Characters will be known for their video game presence over all other multimedia endeavors
  • Characters must be important and in almost all cases have a distinct personality

Shantae
Shantae
Shantae
Synopsis: Shantae is in charge of protecting the port of Scuttle Town, and when her city is invaded by Risky Boots and her villainous pirates, Shantae takes it upon herself to foil Risky's evil plot. Her attacks consist mostly of using her long purple hair as a whip, and she is able to use unique dance moves to transform herself into animals, allowing her to access otherwise inaccessable places. 
Notable Appearances: Shantae, Shantae Advance(which was unfortunately canceled)
SSB4 Likelyhood: 1/10

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

Dude...yes. Just yes. That way, maybe the game can somehow be revived, and I can finally see if I can find it in stores for once (as in a new release or something)? I've been wanting that ever since '01 or so, and could not find it anywhere. Hope she comes back somehow. Probably extremely unlikely as you have predicted, but you never know I suppose. Fire Emblem was on Melee before the majority of America even knew what Fire Emblem was (I don't know how popular it was in Japan, but if it wasn't, than further proving my point).

Wait...what company does Shantae belong to? Time to search in the Giant Bomb Wiki stuff, I suppose...

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Shantae is definately a hard game to find. If you really want it i would recommend ebay, as thats how i got my copy. It really is a lot of fun though. I've been updating the wiki as I play through.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By rinkalicous

Wow, I've never even heard of this. Are you sure you're not making this franchise up? =P

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
Rinkalicous said:
"Wow, I've never even heard of this. Are you sure you're not making this franchise up? =P"
Yes, because I can verify. I've beaten the game, it's good, but seriously? How do you define "franchise?"
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"Rinkalicous said:
"Wow, I've never even heard of this. Are you sure you're not making this franchise up? =P"
Yes, because I can verify. I've beaten the game, it's good, but seriously? How do you define "franchise?""
I'd define franchise as a game lore with two games or more. Shantae hasn't reached that point yet (that GBA game would have been great)
rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rinkalicous
Video_Game_King said:
"Rinkalicous said:
Yes, because I can verify. I've beaten the game, it's good, but seriously? How do you define "franchise?""
I didn't check the giant bomb page before writing that; didn't realise it was just one game.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ

It may only be one game, but its a great one that any GBC owner should play

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Rinkalicous said:
I'd define franchise as a game lore with two games or more. Shantae hasn't reached that point yet (that GBA game would have been great)
"
Same here, but under the current definition, Shantae hasn't reached that (and you admit it :P). Isn't this starting to border the Fan Game Badlands?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Rinkalicous said:
"
Same here, but under the current definition, Shantae hasn't reached that (and you admit it :P). Isn't this starting to border the Fan Game Badlands?"
No, im just trying to avoid putting all of the lesser-known titles at the end. i've got a ton of big franchises left to go
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
No, im just trying to avoid putting all of the lesser-known titles at the end. i've got a ton of big franchises left to go"
Still, a few of them seem farfetched. Tomb Raider? Huh?

(And for characters from Shantae, why not Risky Boots, or one of the pirates? Hell, even the monkey form.)
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
No, im just trying to avoid putting all of the lesser-known titles at the end. i've got a ton of big franchises left to go"
Still, a few of them seem farfetched. Tomb Raider? Huh?(And for characters from Shantae, why not Risky Boots, or one of the pirates? Hell, even the monkey form.)"
Maybe I'll add risky boots as an alternate costume. But Tomb Raider is a huge figure in gaming, and i dont see any reason not to include her
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
Still, a few of them seem farfetched. Tomb Raider? Huh?(And for characters from Shantae, why not Risky Boots, or one of the pirates? Hell, even the monkey form.)"
Maybe I'll add risky boots as an alternate costume. But Tomb Raider is a huge figure in gaming, and i dont see any reason not to include her
"
Because she never had any major significance on Nintendo consoles. Hell, one could argue that the fact that she was more popular on Nintendo's competitors' consoles is enough reason NOT to include her.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
"
Because she never had any major significance on Nintendo consoles. Hell, one could argue that the fact that she was more popular on Nintendo's competitors' consoles is enough reason NOT to include her."
The same was true with both Snake and Sonic
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
AgentJ said:
 The same was true with both Snake and Sonic"
Snake got his start on the NES, and Sonic's rivalry with Mario is of great enough significance to Nintendo that he can be included in the game.

(And back to the subject, can the monkey be an assist trophy? What of the harpy?)
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I've never heard of her, but I can see it working. I'm all for shining a light on some overlooked game series.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
Snake got his start on the NES, and Sonic's rivalry with Mario is of great enough significance to Nintendo that he can be included in the game.(And back to the subject, can the monkey be an assist trophy? What of the harpy?)"
Considering that the monkey and harpy were transformations of Shantae, I think its more likely that they would be part of her move set then being assist trophies
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#18  Edited By LordAndrew
Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
Snake got his start on the NES, and Sonic's rivalry with Mario is of great enough significance to Nintendo that he can be included in the game.(And back to the subject, can the monkey be an assist trophy? What of the harpy?)"
Snake got his start on the MSX.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
LordAndrew said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
Snake got his start on the MSX."
I'm aware, but he got his start on the NES in America. Even if it wasn't as good a start.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By TheFreeMan
Video_Game_King said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
I'm aware, but he got his start on the SNES in America. Even if it wasn't as good a start."
I don't think it was on the SNES.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King
TheFreeMan said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"AgentJ said:
I'm aware, but he got his start on the SNES in America. Even if it wasn't as good a start."
I don't think it was on the SNES."
Damn it, a typo! I'm aware, NES. Note the name. I've played it.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#22  Edited By LordAndrew

The SNES version of Metal Gear was awesome. Much better than the NES version. :D

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King
LordAndrew said:
"The SNES version of Metal Gear was awesome. Much better than the NES version. :D"
Too bad you could only download it on that Satellaview thing I can never spell properly.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Tireyo

Boy! You found a rare one!