Super SUGGESTION THREAD II Turbo: Champion Edition

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By BoG

Got it, thanks Andrew. Valid suggestion.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By StarFoxA

A couple things.

- When I post a comment in an article, it doesn't show up in my feed.
- When I click on a review in my feed, it just takes me to my profile again.
- Twitter updates are still a little weird. They always appear under the rest of my other updates, or somewhere in the middle.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By The_Patriarch

I'd like to be able to jump in the videos on the site, ala Youtube. So, for example, if you just need to watch the last 5 minutes of a videos, you wont have to let the entire video load, you can just click the progressbar, and the video will start buffering from that point instead. I have no idea if that is very difficult to do though, but definitely something I would appreciate.

feignamnesia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By feignamnesia

Why the hell don't guides count for points? They're adding information, however subjective. They add as much content to pages as images do, and they take a hell of a lot longer.

feignamnesia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By feignamnesia

Also, it'd be really nice for a feature that only shows topics with replies to posts I've made. I hate having to manually go to each topic to see if there's any replies.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#56  Edited By LordAndrew
Chiaro said:
"Also, it'd be really nice for a feature that only shows topics with replies to posts I've made. I hate having to manually go to each topic to see if there's any replies."
There's no real way of knowing whether someone has actually replied to one of your posts.

Chiaro said:
"Why the hell don't guides count for points? They're adding information, however subjective. They add as much content to pages as images do, and they take a hell of a lot longer."
There's no moderation or approval process for guides. You could write whatever you want. But write a good guide and you'll get real recognition for it in the form of views and positive feedback.
feignamnesia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By feignamnesia
LordAndrew said:
"Chiaro said:
"Also, it'd be really nice for a feature that only shows topics with replies to posts I've made. I hate having to manually go to each topic to see if there's any replies."
There's no real way of knowing whether someone has actually replied to one of your posts.
Just the fact that someone posted in a thread after you did is enough, really. Topics I've posted in with replies.

LordAndrew said:
Chiaro said:
"Why the hell don't guides count for points? They're adding information, however subjective. They add as much content to pages as images do, and they take a hell of a lot longer."
There's no moderation or approval process for guides. You could write whatever you want. But write a good guide and you'll get real recognition for it in the form of views and positive feedback. "

Fair enough.

But what about those of us that do image moderation? I get no points from that, and that's still managing new information entering the site.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By Lies
Chiaro said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Chiaro said:
Just the fact that someone posted in a thread after you did is enough, really. Topics I've posted in with replies.

LordAndrew said:
Chiaro said:
There's no moderation or approval process for guides. You could write whatever you want. But write a good guide and you'll get real recognition for it in the form of views and positive feedback. "
Fair enough. But what about those of us that do image moderation? I get no points from that, and that's still managing new information entering the site."
O hai there Andrew.

Your complaint is valid Chiaro, but right now points are simply for measuring contributions to the wiki system you submit yourself. You can't exactly quantify a guide, whereas you can know how many images someone has uploaded, or how many articles they've edited.

However, data is being logged about things such as image moderation, and the team is planning on launching a "trophies" system later this year that will provide you with recognition for things such as writing guides and doing image moderation, which should hopefully be retroactive. They won't be points, but you should get some recognition for doing things around the site besides fuxing with the wiki
feignamnesia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By feignamnesia
Lies said:
"O hai there Andrew.

Your complaint is valid Chiaro, but right now points are simply for measuring contributions to the wiki system you submit yourself. You can't exactly quantify a guide, whereas you can know how many images someone has uploaded, or how many articles they've edited.

However, data is being logged about things such as image moderation, and the team is planning on launching a "trophies" system later this year that will provide you with recognition for things such as writing guides and doing image moderation, which should hopefully be retroactive. They won't be points, but you should get some recognition for doing things around the site besides fuxing with the wiki.
Sounds like a decent idea, since the issue right now is that most articles have all the images/words they need, from what I've seen. The ones that don't are the incredibly obscure, which I obviously can't find if I haven't heard of it.

So we're stuck in this blockade from getting any points. When a new game is announced, since we're below 1,000 points, our edits are moderated, so the others who have more than 1,000 points get priority for what the article says. The system worked back in July, but now we're at a standstill, in my opinion.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Lies
Chiaro said:
"Lies said:
"O hai there Andrew.

However, data is being logged about things such as image moderation, and the team is planning on launching a "trophies" system later this year that will provide you with recognition for things such as writing guides and doing image moderation, which should hopefully be retroactive. They won't be points, but you should get some recognition for doing things around the site besides fuxing with the wiki.
Sounds like a decent idea, since the issue right now is that most articles have all the images/words they need, from what I've seen. The ones that don't are the incredibly obscure, which I obviously can't find if I haven't heard of it. So we're stuck in this blockade from getting any points. When a new game is announced, since we're below 1,000 points, our edits are moderated, so the others who have more than 1,000 points get priority for what the article says. The system worked back in July, but now we're at a standstill, in my opinion."
Well to be fair I can't comment, having long since surpassed the earthly bounds of moderation ;) but filling in empty pages isn't the only way to go about getting points. Rewriting poorly written articles will often snag you good points, adding images is always easy, and even one, well-written page can snag you enough points to bypass moderation. Credits are also easy enough to do, if you don't mind copying names from your instruction manual. If you're absolutely in need of grabbing points, something that is ignored by almost everybody on the site is explaining relationships.

For instance, I saw you wrote a Guild Wars guide. So you could go to the guild wars page, then click the "concepts" tab on the left side. This pops up a list of all concepts linked to Guild Wars. If you click the "edit" button, this allows you to explain how all of these concepts appear in Guild Wars. And you gain points for editing this, same as you would for doing the base article. And trust me, these are blank on almost every page in the database. There are also character, location, and object sub-pages you can do the same thing on.

Most of the major games are going to be filled in, yes, but don't let that discourage you from finding other ways to contribute. There's plenty to do besides the wiki anyways, if you want to write blogs, guides, or just comment on articles. Points really aren't that important anyways. My 20,000 haven't done me much good. But if you do want them, I listed off some ways for you. Hope they help.
ribeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#61  Edited By ribeye

Tracked Games, My Collection, Now Playing etc

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
ribeye said:
"Tracked Games, My Collection, Now Playing etc"
Collections are coming. Hopefully as part of the new lists update which is due out quite soon.
CoIin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By CoIin

I would like the ability to browse for console specific games via genre.

Ie. Wii RPGs
DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#64  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Shout-box type function for each page for easy communitcation between the people interested in contributing on each article would be nice in theory, but I assume resources for such a thing really makes it not worth it.

Also, playlists and subscription powers for videos and such. The Bomb team puts out some of the best content around and filtering what you want would be nice. Tagging videos etc so I could have an rss feed of sorts or an on-page player with all the videos jeff is in or stuff like that.

EDIT: I know that doing so would be time consuming and all, but I think everyone would agree that more video reviews would be a good thing. If the team has the time, a video review for a game is always appreciated. The personality of the GB team is amazing and I can never get enough, FEED ME CONTENT RAWR!
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By JJOR64

Thought of a good one.  Put posting limits on members who haven't been a member on the site for at least a month or two.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
JJOR64 said:
"Thought of a good one.  Put posting limits on members who haven't been a member on the site for at least a month or two."
I'm against this. It segregates the user base. Sure, you get idiots signing up and posting crap, but you shouldn't penalize good posters because of a few idiots. It'll discourage new people from staying active on the site.
EberKain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67  Edited By EberKain

Can we get a button down at the bottom of a thread along with the "1 2 3 Next Last" that will take you back to the forum this thread is in.

Say, I reading something that has four pages, I get all the way to the end... I either have to scroll all the way back op to the top of the screen and click the forum title or I have to click my back button like four times...

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By turbomonkey138

I would like a Spell checker in built on the forums as im dyslexic and cannot spell very well :( ... same thing with grammer .... sorry for any spelling mistakes

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Gmanall

Be able to add forum post to favorite.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By BiggerBomb

I think we should do away with a suggestion thread in favor of a suggestion forum. Having a cluttered thread kind of makes it a pain in the ass to check to see if someone already posted your suggestion, not to mention its unorganized state deters searching for legitimate and feasible suggestions. I think having a suggestion forum would really solve this problem. And if people don't want to see suggestion threads, they should have the option to disable suggestion threads from appearing in the Newest Topics, via their preference settings on the profile.

*Hey, look over there! It's a bird, it's a plane! NO! It's a segue!*

I think users should have an option to disable any forum of their choosing from popping up in Newest Topics. On the forum's page, be it a game-specific page or the bug reporting forums (I hear I have a knack for reporting too many bugs! =P,) there should be an icon next to "Add to Favorites" that allows us to disable topics from said page/forum to appear for the user in question. This could be used for convenience sakes, to keep the topics of the user's interest at the forum's front, and/or perhaps to avoid any possible spoilers a topic title might contain.

/shrug

I think it would be neat! =P

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#71  Edited By jakob187

I suggest that this thread be anchored so people can find it easily.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#72  Edited By natetodamax

I agree with the suggestion forum thing. A thread is too confusing and bulky.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#73  Edited By AgentJ

The ability to change the color of text, or at least a highlight ability, would be appreciated when picking out fallacies in other peoples quotes.

Some sort of button on the bottom of a topics page leading back to the top or to the root forum would also be nice.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BiggerBomb
AgentJ said:
"The ability to change the color of text, or at least a highlight ability, would be appreciated when picking out fallacies in other peoples quotes.

Some sort of button on the bottom of a topics page leading back to the top or to the root forum would also be nice.
"

That would be abused like Wall Street.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#75  Edited By Godwind

A new forum section to store blogs since a good number have become a waste of time and take up space of other topics worth keeping alive.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=banish

This guy seems to nail the head on what is wrong with internet.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By LordAndrew

You can disable blogs from showing in the forums if you don't like it. And then you can head to this page to see all the latest blogs, which makes a separate forum unnecessary.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BiggerBomb

The pages that list games for specific consoles (e.g. Game Boy Color Games, PSP Games, Xbox Games) are pretty messy, making them incredibly difficult to navigate. I think it would be best if they were either listed alphabetically, or if the user was allowed to choose how the games should be listed.

My 2c!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By brukaoru

How about, like user reviews, we have a "recommend this blog post" on user's blog entries?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AgentJ

An option to go immediately to the last page in a topic from the first link

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By OneEyedNinja7
AgentJ said:
"An option to go immediately to the last page in a topic from the first link"
You mean the little ">>"? I'm not sure what you mean by "first link"....
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#81  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd suggest making it easier to move pictures in posts. I really don't like having to insert all my pictures at the end of my blogging process.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By AgentJ
OneEyedNinja7 said:
"AgentJ said:
"An option to go immediately to the last page in a topic from the first link"
You mean the little ">>"? I'm not sure what you mean by "first link"...."
For example, i'm looking at the general discussion page, and there are topics with 2 pages or more. I want to go to the last page with one click, instead of having to click on the topic then on the"last page" button.
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By Drebin_893

You can, the >> sends you there.

Seguet

I would like it that when I click the >> the thread grey's out, indicating that it was read. Instead now, it still marks the thread as unread.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By LordAndrew
Drebin_893 said:
"You can, the >> sends you there.SeguetI would like it that when I click the >> the thread grey's out, indicating that it was read. Instead now, it still marks the thread as unread."
Because they don't use any real method to indicate threads have been read. They rely entirely on your browser and its ability to change the way visited links are displayed. In order to do what you suggested, they'd have to actually track which threads you've read and how much you've read.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By AgentJ
Drebin_893 said:
"You can, the >> sends you there.SeguetI would like it that when I click the >> the thread grey's out, indicating that it was read. Instead now, it still marks the thread as unread."
I see. learn something new about this site almost every week.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Alexander

There are some forums where if you are typing something to be posted, and then accidentally close a tab or navigate away - when you reopen the tab or go back the text you entered is still there. So that's my suggestion!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By toowalrus

Is the spell check built in to Firefox or Giantbomb? The fact that contractions get a red line under them bug me. Didn't. Aren't. Should've. Augh!

Avatar image for deactivated-6610658acf7f5
deactivated-6610658acf7f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the image viewer, various information about the image is contained in a box to the right. Tucked away within these boxes is the image caption. I believe that the caption should feature more prominently, perhaps below the actual image? It's too easy to overlook in its current spot.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
TooWalrus said:
"Is the spell check built in to Firefox or Giantbomb? The fact that contractions get a red line under them bug me. Didn't. Aren't. Should've. Augh!"
That's firefox's spell checker
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By LordAndrew
Mercanis said:
"In the image viewer, various information about the image is contained in a box to the right. Tucked away within these boxes is the image caption. I believe that the caption should feature more prominently, perhaps below the actual image? It's too easy to overlook in its current spot."
As someone who looks at and uploads images a lot, I didn't even notice that. I assumed you just couldn't view the caption from that page. So yes, the caption needs to be a hell of a lot more prominent.
Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Forcen

Add a special category for game compilations!
Its just like a gamepage, but with a list of the included games.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Karmum

When flagging a topic or post, a description box to go with it would be cool. Just to give the moderators the heads-up on what they need to look at.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By LordAndrew
Forcen said:
"Add a special category for game compilations!
Its just like a gamepage, but with a list of the included games."
So instead of dumping a list of games into article (and getting a ton of points for doing barely anything), we could have a separate part of the page listing the games in the compilation? Sort of like this? Or are you suggesting something else entirely?
Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Forcen
LordAndrew said:
"Forcen said:
"Add a special category for game compilations!
Its just like a gamepage, but with a list of the included games."
So instead of dumping a list of games into article (and getting a ton of points for doing barely anything), we could have a separate part of the page listing the games in the compilation? Sort of like this? Or are you suggesting something else entirely?"
Exactly, the same kind of list there are in the concept pages. And then the info could appear on the other end to, the Altered Beast page could say that the game is included in the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on a special page of the altered beast page.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By BiggerBomb

This is a small suggestion, but I hope it's one that can be easily implemented. For polls, I'd like to see a *view results* option instead of having to vote first. You know, for curiosity's sake?

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I suggest that, when watching a video in full-screen on GiantBomb's video section, that when the UI elements disappear automatically the mouse disappears too. I know Hulu does it, as well as a couple other sites, but I hate having to always bury my mouse into the right side of the screen so I can't see it.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Forcen

Bring back the related game links, covers and descriptions on the videopages.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By ep_driver

I was thinking that it would be a good idea for GB to add a 'classics' tab to the video section so we all have quick access to videos like the madden '09 football blowout extravaganza video, age of booty preview, the choco taco rap vid, and many others. Anyone else feelin' this idea?

Avatar image for deactivated-59e23ba4208df
deactivated-59e23ba4208df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that TVersity supports video websites like Hulu, NBC, Comedy Central, Juiced (or whatever it's called), etc... you should get together with them to get your videos streamed over TVersity. I love watching the endurance run, but I do not love crowding over my girlfriend's laptop with her to watch it. I'd love to watch it on my TV.

(Tried watching it in the Wii browser, but the Wii browser does not play well with this site in general).

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Optiow

Okay then...I say that we should have a Roll Call, like the bombsquad back.