Posted by Onemanarmyy (3967 posts) 1 month, 7 days ago

Poll: Survey: How are we using the site as a community? 3 questions in the post! (205 votes)

Q1:Yes 30%
Q1: No 71%
Q2: Less than 5 75%
Q2: Less than 10 15%
Q2: Less than 20 5%
Q2: Less than 30 1%
Q2: Less than 40 1%
Q2: Less than 50 2%
Q3: 0%-10% 36%
Q3: 10%-20% 20%
Q3: 20%-40% 17%
Q3: 40% - 60% 15%
Q3: 60% - 80% 6%
Q3: 80% - 100% 2%
Q4: No 14%
Q4: Yes, through the forums tab on the topbar 42%
Q4: Yes, through the latest forum discussions box on the frontpage 45%
Q5: Yes 41%
Q5: No 55%

Q1: Were you a white theme user on the previous design?

Q2: How many shows are you subscribed to currently?

Q3: What percentage of your GB video time do you search & click on older videos ( videos posted a month or more ago , videos on GB infinite not included)

Q4: Do you use the forums? What was the primary way you accessed the forums on the previous design?

Q5: Do you like the video carroussels?

Given that the feedback for the site redesign often includes claims of how the typical GB user interacts with the site, i figured throwing a survey up could help give us a rough idea of how accurate these claims are.

#1 Edited by Onemanarmyy (3967 posts) -

For some reason i wrote 3 questions in the title. Forgive me for my sins, there are actually 5 questions ;)

#2 Posted by Ares42 (4186 posts) -

I wonder who answered No to question 4.

#3 Edited by BladedEdge (1285 posts) -

I am glad my one and only grumble about the site re-design got mentioned in this survey.

I almost forget the forums exist and think I might need to have another browser-window open, instead of just leaving the main GB page open and re-loading every so often to check the most recent section at the bottom like i did the old design.

If I could have anything it would be that feature back. I know we have a truncated version of it at the bottom of the new design, but either its including content that was not present in the old forum most recent, or its such a limited number of entries its almost pointless. (or both).

If anything I'd keep the design, and like quadruple the number of entries in the latest community content part at the bottom of the new site.

-

#4 Posted by Teddie (2089 posts) -

@bladededge: I'm pretty sure they tried to get rid of the recent threads from the homepage last time they did a site redesign, too. I can understand why they wouldn't want it, professionally, on their homepage, but it's the only way I ever use the forums so I'm annoyed they've cut it again.

#5 Posted by Corvak (1951 posts) -

So, a couple comments:

1: I used the GBQoL extension's "previous" and "next" buttons on video pages so I could watch a series in sequence, something the new site has implemented.

2: I don't really 'dislike' the video carousels (but I feel most elements are too large) but they aren't something I am likely to use much aside from the "continue watching" one. I feel they'd be more valuable in an app meant purely for watching video, like if I loaded up the site on a tablet etc.

3: thanks for a feedback thread with actual data behind it, seen a lot of people complaining without offering anything useful.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#6 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (7817 posts) -

Glad to see there are other light themers out there. I've already mentioned it in other feedback threads, so I don't want to sound like a broken record. Basically, the white text in black boxes is harsh on the eyes. (a lighter shade of grey would be much better. Basically what it looks like when you're editing a post.)

#7 Posted by Vorsic (80 posts) -

I have my RSS reader set up to automatically tag videos when they get posted so I usually go straight there and never see the homepage and don't need the watchlist feature. The redesign seems fine I just wish I could turn off autoplay.

#9 Posted by Onemanarmyy (3967 posts) -

@Ares There's always a chance someone sees this thread just by exploring the new design, but is not generally the kind of person that uses the forums a lot.

@Johnny we all make mistakes. Not realizing the exact amount of shows you're subscribed to, or thinking your thread has 3 questions instead of 5 :)

#10 Edited by Onemanarmyy (3967 posts) -

Now that this is not generating many votes anymore (120) we can draw some conclusions from this. Since this thread is not a perfect solution to do a poll, i'll look at the overall sentiment instead of citing exact % numbers.

Q1: Were you a white theme user on the previous design?

The large majority used the dark theme. That said, there is still a very beefy amount of the userbase that can't use their preferred theme right now. Given that people might actually experience pain & headaches from this issue, it's definitly something that needs to be adressed in some way. Personally i quite liked the idea of going for a more grey-ish background to reduce the contrast between background & text. Similar to the actual type-box we have here already.

The vast majority of people subscribes to a handful of shows. Definitly surprising to me, as one of the oddballs that subscribed to every show out there. I assume most people just subscribe to the shows that are currently on-going. This makes the watchlist a decent option. Personally, i found that it offered nothing as someone that subscribed to everything. But if you only care about a handful of shows, the watchlist makes it so you don't have to go through the 'latest' caroussel to find the handful of shows you like.

Q3: What percentage of your GB video time do you search & click on older videos ( videos posted a month or more ago , videos on GB infinite not included).

A nice spread of different use cases here. The majority of the people hardly look at older videos, but there's a good spread of people that do look at the older content quite frequently as well. For a few souls out there, the older content is more interesting than the current content. Making it easier to find those older shows through the 'this day in GB history...' videos & the showpages will definitly be a huge help.

Q4: Do you use the forums? What was the primary way you accessed the forums on the previous design?

Turns out that the slight majority of the people have used the topbar to access the forums on the previous design. Trailing closely are the people that used the latest discussions box on the frontpage. This shows that it was definitly a feature that people valued quite a bit.

Q5: Do you like the video carroussels?

The community is quite split on it. The slight majority dislikes them, but there are quite some carroussela lovers out there as well. Naturally, as the caroussella's get improved, some of the nay-sayers (including me) might start to grow to like them. While others have a fundamental problem with video caroussels and will always dislike them.

Thanks for your votes people!

#11 Edited by Sulcath (15 posts) -

I fucked up my votes with fat thumbs. I like the carousels. Especially since it allows things like the "on this day" feed, which is my favorite new feature for discovering all the amazing stuff I missed.

#12 Posted by Ares42 (4186 posts) -

The vast majority of people subscribes to a handful of shows.

Super late reply, but I'd read this result as most people do not subscribe to shows at all (as there was no option for none). I might be jumping to conclusions, but I'd say the concept just isn't relevant to most users.

#13 Posted by fisk0 (6806 posts) -

@ares42 said:
@onemanarmyy said:

The vast majority of people subscribes to a handful of shows.

Super late reply, but I'd read this result as most people do not subscribe to shows at all (as there was no option for none). I might be jumping to conclusions, but I'd say the concept just isn't relevant to most users.

Personally I only subscribe to a couple of shows, Old Games and VRodeo because I feel like whenever new episodes of those are dropped, they often drown among other content as it seems they're usually dropped along with a bunch of quick looks. I also subscribed to Alexy Quest when that show started (and the subscribe-to-show feature was added) ... but I have yet to watch a single episode of that.

#14 Posted by Hamst3r (5471 posts) -

Q1: dark theme all day

Q2: 10

Q3: There’s only like 300 GB videos I haven’t seen, and I don’t rewatch stuff very often because I’m busy watching new stuff.

Q4: I use the forums. The homepage might as well not exist, as RSS feeds, YouTube sub, and QLcrew get me the info I want.

Q5: I hide most of the front page with GB Turbo, leaving only Recent on and as a grid.

#15 Posted by Tom_omb (1057 posts) -

1.I was light theme before, but I like the dark theme now that it's been forced upon me.

2.I like the idea of subscribing to shows. It's just not a feature I use right now. I just hit the videos tab, like I did before to see the latest.

3. I love how old videos are surfaced now. I may not have watched a lot of them, but I've enjoyed the ones I have and look forward to seeing more.

4. I miss the forums on the front page more than anything! I find I'm not visiting as often without them. On the topic of forums I would appreciate it if formatting tools and were surfaced on mobile as well as list editing. Also, posting images can be pretty buggy in general.

5. I like the carousels in concept. Not nuts about auto play.

#16 Edited by TheRealTurk (364 posts) -

1. I was a black user on the prior page. However, I can totally see why some people would want a white version and it's crazy that they got rid of the option. I used to work in product development - if we had gotten rid of something like that, the accessibility team would have thrown a fit.

2. I do not subscribe to shows and don't find that sort of functionality useful. I'm on the site often enough that I will see the content I want pop up naturally (although that's way harder with the new site design).

3. I only look back to old videos a little bit. Generally, if I'm doing that, I know exactly what I'm looking for and can usually used to be able to find it easily. Another one of those things that's gotten way harder with the redesign.

4. I used to click on the forums from the front page. I now access them from the toolbar on top of the page because I have been given no other choice. I don't really find the Community Spotlight that took it's place very useful to me. It's nice that other folks content gets highlighted, but the content is there for so long its frequently "stale" and trends to heavily towards the superusers rather than current discussion. I would vastly prefer the old system to come back. Or just dump the forums altogether if that isn't something they want as part of the site.

5. I hate (hate hatehate hate) the carousels. They are ugly to look at, inefficient to use, redundant, and frequently don't work at all. I'm consistently getting served up videos in "Continue Watching" that I never started to watch in the first place. If any changes were to be made, it should start here.