Taking games console to uinversity/college?

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By markini6

I'll be going to university in September, and at the moment I'm wondering whether or not I should take my PS3. I'm not anticipating using it very much, but I think it might be good to have if for some reason I have nothing to do. Also, I'm not gonna just suddenly stop liking games as soon as I'm at university, so I can't decide.  The main reason I'd have for not taking it is that the desks in the rooms aren't very big, but I could always keep it in a box or something while not in use.

It'd be great to hear from anyone who's already at university and whether or not they think it was a good a idea to take their console with them :)

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By schizogony

It could double as a room heater so it's a win/win.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By markini6

You sir, are no help :)

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By sickVisionz

Bring it.  I bought my Dreamcast and N64 to college with me and it was a lot of fun playing with my roommates and other people in the dorm.  Also, the consoles aren't that big.  You could put it under your desk and it wouldn't take up any space that you would realistically use anyways.  There's tons of free time in college.  You might goto class for like 15 hours a week for 2-5 days depending on how you want to schedule it.

I'd suggest never leaving it in the public area of your dorm (assuming their is one).  My dorm was set up as a bunch of 4 or 6 bedroom apartments with a living room area.  Never leave your console in that living room area.  You'd think that people over the age of 18 would have dealt with a door at least once in their life and would understand the reason behind locking a door in a high traffic area... but they don't.  College kids are some real deal idiots when it comes to locking doors so NEVER leave anything important out in that area.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You should definitely take a console to University. It's not like you'll be studying so you'll have lots of free time, so you'll need something to keep yourself occupied. Going out with mates every night tends to get costly.

PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PS3RG

My dorm wasn't very big and I brought my PS3. It's great when you have some down time and video games are a great way to meet new people. If you keep you priorities in check, I absolutely think you should take it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Good idea. Dudes and girls alike enjoy it.  

People claim that it's a bad idea because it might get stolen blah blah blah. My freshman year, we had a 40-somethin inch TV, 3 PS3s, and 2 360s in one room (1 suite, 4 separate rooms in the suite and 1 living room). Not one thing was stolen and people literally poured in and out each day. Then again, we knew everyone entering and leaving so of course that helps lol. As long as you and your roommate get along and you lock your door I feel it's say to say you have nothing to worry about. 

It's also great when you and a friend, girlfriend, etc wanna kill some time and just lazy around. Plays movies, music, games. It's fun in a box. 

Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Dom

you should, but watch out for thievery 

Zicdab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zicdab

Don't take one.  It's very distracting.  I know the last thing I wanted to do during the day was homework and gaming was an excuse not to do it.  Besides, you'll have other stuff to do while at university like watching/participating in athletics, meeting new people, class (sigh), parties, exploring the area if you're new to it, maybe watching t.v instead of games.  If you're like me and get easily distracted and bored a lot, I would say no to the console.

Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Arestice

I wouldn't do it unless you want everyone to be in your dorm playing it all the time. And some people might steal the controller/games or borrow them and not return them. 

All in all, don't take anything to a dorm unless you wont care if someone steals it.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FrankWeidner

Also, don't forget your PS3 doubles as a DVD/Blu-Ray player.  

And how small is your room that you're worried about fitting a console that takes up about a square foot of space?

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Ineedaname

Take it, buy a few multiplayer games, when you're bored with nothing to do with your friends game a little.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By nrain

No Caption Provided
I'm at University, just finishing my first year living in college halls. I've had both my PS3 and 360 since the beginning and I didn;t play them very much at all when I was studying (finished exams now). But they where still good to have around to have the odd game with people. They have taken up quite a lot of room on my desk, but there's still plenty of room for me to write stuff hence all the pieces of paper which I'm too lazy to do anything about. 
The main problem with taking all this stuff is getting it there and taking it back, if you have a car or a parent that can take you it;s not a problem but if your gonna be coming and going on trains, your gonna have to invest in storage space.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

Uh yeah sure? I mean why not, it can play games and blu-rays that's pretty handy for when there just days where nothing interesting happens. Plenty useful. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Try not to get it stolen.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ATrevelan

I had a ps2 and 360 with me almost the entire time I was in school. I only really used them at night and a little bit on weekend afternoons. I found that they didn't interfere with my work or my willingness to go out with my friends. 

It all really comes down to your own personality. If you're worried that you'll spend too much time playing games and not enough time enjoying college, maybe consider leaving them at home. If you don't think it'll be a problem, there's no harm bringing your systems.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By muthsera666

I took my N64 and Xbox to college. Overall, I think it was a good idea. There were times when they allowed me to let off steam, and I played a fair amount of games with friends. For my setup, I bought a small cabinet on wheels. I put the television on top, and the systems fit onto the top shelf. There was another, bottom, shelf, and it perfectly held my box of N64 games and my DVD wallet of Xbox games. I don't think I wasted any more time playing games than I would have just wandering around the internet.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Burns098356GX

I had a PS2 when I was in college, I'm glad i had it. It was never in danger of getting broke.

aButton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By aButton

Do what every college student does. Take your expensive stuff with you and have fun with it until it's stolen.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mono_Listo

I could not have made it through college without my old PS2. I suggest that you take it.

Also, expect it to be stolen. That's what happens to all nice things in a dorm or college rental.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By markini6

Okay I'm now in two minds. On the one hand, a lot of people are saying take it to play on the odd occasion, and on the other hand I am now officially terrified of console thieves :)
I should point out that in the UK you have a room to yourself, so does that reduce the risk of console thievery?

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Blubba

I'm definitely taking my 360 and Wii next year.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By muthsera666

As long as you lock your door, there's really no risk of theft. Unless you go around telling people you've got mad loot in your room. So many people have laptops and mp3 players anymore that a game console is actually more involved in stealing than other, more expensive things.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Demyx

Yeah you definitely should. I had a lot of fun with playing games with new friends.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Lunar_Aura

No. It's a waste of space and time. Plus, if you really want to game, just go to "that guy". You don't have to necessarily be that guy.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By nrain
@markini6 said:
" Okay I'm now in two minds. On the one hand, a lot of people are saying take it to play on the odd occasion, and on the other hand I am now officially terrified of console thieves :) I should point out that in the UK you have a room to yourself, so does that reduce the risk of console thievery? "
Your not guaranteed to get a single room, and thieves are everywhere you can't live in fear of them. They're generally after laptops anyway.
seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By seanvail99

The new slim xbox 360 has a kensington lock slot on it. The Microsoft guy who was showing it off to the GB guys noted it was specifically for college students concerned with theft. So problem solved. Just buy a new console! ;)

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Clinkz

Take it. If you get distracted, study at the library. Thats how I got shit done.

JOURN3Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JOURN3Y

You should take it. I have my PS3 with me when I live in the dorms. Its an invaluable time waster. My roommate is a bit of an audiophile so we have this kickass home-theater seat up in our room. The only downside is online, my university blocks certain ports so most online games do not work. PSN itself will work but not online. It pisses me off and I have to resort to other measures to get my online gaming on.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By btman
@markini6:   Bring it for sure.  It's nice to take a break from school/partying and play some video games by yourself or with friends.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By wefwefasdf

Bring it. As long as you are responsible enough to manage your own time you'll be fine. 

Also, college sucks.

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By niall_sg1
@markini6 said:
" Okay I'm now in two minds. On the one hand, a lot of people are saying take it to play on the odd occasion, and on the other hand I am now officially terrified of console thieves :) I should point out that in the UK you have a room to yourself, so does that reduce the risk of console thievery? "
I'm in my first year at University in the UK :) I'd  say if you enjoy playing your console then bring it! I've got my 360 in the room and I play it at night if I'm not out or got work to do. I know loads of people at Uni who have a console and in my 'dorm' (four rooms and a kitchen/living area) there's three consoles and 5 tvs :P 
RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RockAction

Take them with you, just be careful, people steal shit 

all you need is an N64, i barely remember playing recent games with friends in university, unless it was COD4, and maybe mario kart double dash or super smash bros on gamecube otherwise it was N64  

but if you intend to play games then obviously take the console