Taking pictures of food? You do it?

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Let me put what I am going to say next into context. I live in Hong Kong, where everyone is always on their phone, and always takes photos of their food. Okay, everyone might be a little strong, but I guarantee that if you go into a restaurant you are very likely to see it happen.

Now........ I hate when people takes pictures of their food. I find it bordering on obsessive. I have only taken a photo of food once, and it was a before/after photo of my friend eating a 12 patty burger. I have been out to meals with a group of people on multiple occasions, and have had one of them takes photos of the food.

Now, I'm not talking about a photo of the people at the table smiling...with the food sitting on the table. No....I'm talking a photo of the food, just the food, sometimes with special effort made to avoid getting people in the photo.

Now, do you do it? Do you hate it? Or am I just weird?

Cheers,

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What the hell else would I put on my instagram?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Why the hell would I?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@unilad said:

Now, do you do it? Do you hate it? Or am I just weird?

I don't do it.

I don't hate it but I do find it a little weird. Especially since it doesn't ultimately matter if Food "looks good", it really only matters if it smells and tastes good. I get that high end restaurants have designed dishes and such that are carefully laid out so they have a nice appearance, but most instagram pics I see are really mundane things like McDonald's quarter pounders or Pizza.

Honestly I don't care to know what other people are eating anyway and it baffles me a little to think any would think someone else would care except perhaps on very rare occasions.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By awesomeusername

Maybe... Sometimes....

Only when my mom cooks the really delicious food though.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By spiceninja

I don't understand why people do it.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

You see, i don't use my phone when i'm in a restaurant because i'm a quality individual.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Never done it. Would you like me to?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do they take pictures of their food?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't take pictures of my food as a rule, but this was the best meal I ever ate. Pulpo gallego:

No Caption Provided

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nay. Does food ever take pictures of you and put it online for everyone to see?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mosespippy

I was in France last year and I had a very nice meal (many of them actually but this anecdote is about a specific one) with people I had traveled with. These people thought it looked so good it should have its picture taken. I feel like it was too classy a place to have gawking tourists taking pictures of the food. I think it's a very tacky thing to do.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

People are sentimental. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nah, I take MENTAL pictures

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Aterons

Of course I do, I find people that don't do it almost as strange as the ones that deny music on vinyl being more authentic and thus better sounding. I think the only reason for you not to take pictures of your food is if you are part of the 1% and working for the machine.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

I did this once, because it was so fucking good, I needed to share it with the world.

No Caption Provided

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I take pictures of food that I cook and post them out of pride. I don't know why people post pictures of food that someone else made.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Clonedzero

one time i texted a friend that i made a fancy dinner for myself and she wanted to see it so i took a picture and sent it to her, but yeah. thats about it.

(it was just a steak and a salad btw)

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coafi

I take pictures of food that I cook and post them out of pride. I don't know why people post pictures of food that someone else made.

Yeah this, I like to think of myself as an amateur chef. I take time to prepare the plate too.

primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By primalmaster

Taking pictures of food is only really justified in my eyes, when the food has been arranged on the plate in some special way and looks amazing, or maybe when something looks exceptionaly bad.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if something looks exceptionally good to eat, i'm not photographing it- i'm eating it.

i think a lot of people take food pictures because food is relatively easy to photograph (compared to nature, people, or animals).

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Branthog

I can't imagine why anyone would care. Not only don't I take pictures of my food (seriously, wtf?!), but I have never taken a picture with any phone, ever and of the couple hundred pictures I've taken in my entire life (pretty much just the last fifteen years, though) only about ten have been of something other than my house or packages I've received or am shipping for evidence.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I've ever photographed food is at special occasions like birthdays, and the focus of the picture is on the people crowded around the food.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#24  Edited By Svenzon

It'd have to be something really special for me to take a photo. There is something tragic about people who submit a photo of their dinner on Facebook or Instagram every night.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mikey87144

I've never done it nor do I understand the appeal to it. Facebook, thanks to Instagram, is full of that shit.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

If it's like a specifically weird dish I could see myself sharing it.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hate food bloggers. Nobody cares what you ate today.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I usually take pictures of it after it's done being food. That's the kind of shit that instagram is filled with.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jack268

I don't but I can understand taking pictures of food to share if it looks/is very unique. For example if I told people I ate Balut today someone would ask "Oh Jack, what does that mean?" and I could send them a picture of a chicken fetus.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't take pictures of my food but I also don't have a problem with people that do it

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I see people do it in a restaurant I think it's totally tasteless behavior, makes it look like they've never seen a good meal in their life. But knowing the kinds of people who do photograph food, that's probably the case. These are the same people that eat at chain-restaurants.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By probablytuna

I do it sometimes, I don't really mind others doing it. Unless they're taking photos of my meals and their actions are interrupting my eating.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FLYmeatwad

I've done it three times. One time was when I was on vacation in Chicago and had my first real deep dish pizza. Wanted to remember that because I don't know when I'll ever get back there again. Second time was on the boardwalk in the summer where a group of us got a 36 inch wide pizza or something. It was super big, took up an entire table on its own. The third time was in Atlantic City when a group of us got a ten pound pizza. If I ever eat another crazy pizza I'll probably take a picture of it.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too find it very, very, very annoying, especially on those days where it is the only thing filling out my Facebook-homescreen.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes.
Sometimes.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kinapuff

Generally I avoid it unless it was something I made that I'm either somewhat proud of/turned out great.

Most recent example:

No Caption Provided

Motherfucking zucchini boats with an amazing ceasar salad and champagne, thrown together by me and this one very special girl. It was taken part of the deliciousness, and part of, cornyness allowed, memories we made.

Mandatory "no filters applied, because I'm not a terrible person"-mention.