Thank you Rorie and the Mods

CitizenErased

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CitizenErased

Just putting this here to say thanks to Rorie and all the GB moderators for all they hard work y'all are doing right now. I imagine the amount of moderation required has skyrocketed over the past few days and I can safely say the majority of the GB community appreciates it.

Young_Scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A good thread! I've done a little moderation over the years for a few online communities, and I can definitely confirm it can be exhausting!

I hope you're getting some rest too, duders. Thank you for all your hard work! <>

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same, you guys are really doing a great job. Thank you so much, keep kicking ass guys.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll throw in my thanks here as well. It's a tough thing to keep up with especially when so much is going on.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 33

I'm pretty fond of the mods and Rorie. Was gonna come in and drop some snark like they're the collective stinky hairs of Satan's armpit, but nah, nothing but love for them this week.

vagrant_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, everyone is doing an awesome job! Some people around here really need to chill. Like, it's fine to have your opinions about what's happening right now and it's OK for you to not agree with something a staffer says, but maybe, if you feel that heated about it, just keep it to yourself and stop creating stress and work for other people?

Anyway, That's like asking the internet to not be the internet so I"ll just say stay safe everyone!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

always. it's a thankless job, so nothing but gratitude for rorie and everyone working behind the scenes to keep this space the welcoming and respectful place it needs to be.

Champy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Thank you Rorie & mods!!

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mods are life and do a job I could never do so tyty. Same for Matt.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Indeed.

Kaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kaname

Thanks modteam! I'm glad that negative opinions are also still allowed even though I'd assume most people/staff disagree with them. That's much harder than just blanket removing anything that might cause controversy.

regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Just throwing my hat in the ring. I would not want to be a mod right now, and I can only imagine they've seen and blocked a lot of real nasty stuff. It takes a tough person to do this.

Also Abby rules.

someoneproud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're doing a great job in what must be an extremely busy time lately. Thanks so much for everything you guys are doing, keeping things here civil when emotions are so high.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Thanks Rorie and mods!

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, much thankulations! I need at least one place to be a collection of rational empathetic humans in the swirling chaos shit show that is now any kind of social media. It genuinely means a lot.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

People should be allowed to express their reasons for leaving premium without people jumping up their arses though.

There's a lot of thoughtful rhetoric about cancelling premium that I feel is being buried

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed last night when going to bed far too late on the East Coast that Rorie had just posted and was ending another like 12 hour day for him and the moderation team.

Thank you Rorie, and the mods. I'm not sure what Rorie's title is, but if he isn't, he should be promoted to whatever their equivalent of a product manager is.

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sombre: I wouldn't worry too much about this, my experience of engaging in these conversations yesterday was that most of the comments which required moderation were personal attacks, mostly by people defending Abby's tweets actually. Anyone expressing their reasons for leaving reasonably were not being moderated, although some threads were locked understandably, because they had descended into name calling.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Rorie and the Mods would be a pretty cool band name.

(Thank you all!)

GuardianBob87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you Rorie and mods!

someoneproud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say that them locking down high risk threads temporarily so the Mods can have a break or focus their efforts is a smart move that I can really get behind, also tend to get a little tidbit of what's coming up from Rorie so that's great. Really impressed by the handling of the moderation around here honestly.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Thanks for letting us discuss these times. It gets heated at times, but i do think that there's a lot of good stuff emerging out of these discussions.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta say getting dunked on is thirsty work. I take breaks to do schoolwork.

Agreed the mods work is appreciated.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate the way this is being done. It must be very tempting to look at and burn it all to the ground but it is healthy for a community to be allowed these discussions.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

People should be allowed to express their reasons for leaving premium without people jumping up their arses though.

There's a lot of thoughtful rhetoric about cancelling premium that I feel is being buried

I don't know how you could possibly say that we're burying anything. Some of the people making those threads have asked them to be locked and we've respected that. We are trying to shunt people into one thread where possible but the currently active thread has been active for most of the last couple of days. We'll lock these threads when we need a little time off from moderation duties (keeping in mind that we need, you know, sleep, and most of us are moderating chat for 8+ hours a day) but I think that is a perfectly reasonable thing to expect.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@rorie said:
@sombre said:

I don't know how you could possibly say that we're burying anything. Some of the people making those threads have asked them to be locked and we've respected that. We are trying to shunt people into one thread where possible but the currently active thread has been active for most of the last couple of days. We'll lock these threads when we need a little time off from moderation duties (keeping in mind that we need, you know, sleep, and most of us are moderating chat for 8+ hours a day) but I think that is a perfectly reasonable thing to expect.

Not just now, in general and on the reddit. The reddit especially. I know it's not official, by any means, but I feel the GB community can be extremely toxic when someone dares question GB, which is unhealthy, because people should be entitled to an opinion.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: One suggestion. I'm wondering if you're doing some of this already, as I haven't seen much of it. Consider moderating posts that contain links to videos containing some of this awful content we've probably already seen. Incendiary, shocking things from police or rioters.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: The reddit is indeed unofficial. I have no control over it.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rorie

@north6 said:

@rorie: One suggestion. I'm wondering if you're doing some of this already, as I haven't seen much of it. Consider moderating posts that contain links to videos containing some of this awful content we've probably already seen. Incendiary, shocking things from police or rioters.

We'll continue to delete posts that violate our community rules.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:
@rorie said:
@sombre said:

Not just now, in general and on the reddit. The reddit especially. I know it's not official, by any means, but I feel the GB community can be extremely toxic when someone dares question GB, which is unhealthy, because people should be entitled to an opinion.

What is even the point of this? What are you asking for here?

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subscryber: They're allowed to be a part of the community, but it's a bit uncomfortable having discussions in that vein. Like talking to cops I guess... ahh that's a bad joke.

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Often I get mental image of Jeff putting a helmet on Rorie and kicking him into the alligator pit that is this forums.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subscryber: The mod said to think about something, not to think that way. Fuck outta here with the noise you're trying to bring in here. You already announced your cancellation nigh two days ago. This thread is in praise of the efforts Rorie and the mod team have been making this past week, not really the place to let it bleed into.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Often I get mental image of Jeff putting a helmet on Rorie and kicking him into the alligator pit that is this forums.

Myself and all of the mods have been here for a while. The Gamergate threads and the Dan/Jason hiring threads were way worse than anything I've seen this week. I appreciate everyone's feedback, though.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By north6

@sethmode: Mods are doing a great job. The audience has self selected into what it currently looks like though, you have to admit that much. Prevailing opinion in "That other thread" currently is hovering somewhere between "hey let's try sedition why not?" vs "yeah ok maybe, but only if total police defunding fails." I'm pretty sure complete police defunding and abolishment is now the moderate position, I may be wrong. Imagine coming in and reading this if you're part of the recent Monmouth poll majority of Americans (who I do not agree with) who support the president's use of military to restore order, cop support non-withstanding.

Speaking as someone who recognizes that de-escalation is the only viable path forward, I feel like I'm losing, and badly. I certainly am convincing nobody of anything, I'm sure of that. Fortunately the general situation is starting to calm down.

All of that said - again moderating is a rough, thankless job, and I appreciate it. That's what this thread is, and that's probably what duder was talking about.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6 said:

@sethmode: Mods are doing a great job. The demographic has self selected into what it currently looks like though, you have to admit that much. Prevailing opinion in "That other thread" currently is hovering somewhere between "hey let's try sedition why not?" vs "yeah ok maybe, but only if total police defunding fails." I'm pretty sure complete police defunding and abolishment is now the moderate position, I may be wrong. Imagine coming in and reading this if you're part of the recent Monmouth poll majority of Americans (who I do not agree with) who support the president's use of military to restore order, cop support non-withstanding.

Speaking as someone who recognizes that de-escalation is the only viable path forward, I feel like I'm losing, and badly. I certainly am convincing nobody of anything, I'm sure of that. Fortunately the general situation is starting to calm down.

All of that said - again moderating is a rough, thankless job, and I appreciate it. That's what this thread is, and that's probably what duder was talking about.

I have no idea why this is made out to me? It seems to have nothing to do with what I said to the person I said it to. The person I responded to complained about an aspect of GB community behavior, Rorie responded, then he complained again (including something that isn't even connected to the site). I genuinely don't understand the point, especially when directed at Rorie. Is there something he is claiming the mods are burying? None of it makes any sense, especially directed at the mod team.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By north6

@sethmode: Cool, glad I could clear my thoughts on Sombre's question up for you! Have a great night!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know I am happy to keep this thread open until I fucking pass out from exhaustion but if you want to participate in it please dial down the fucking sarcasm. There is a lot of serious shit to discuss and if you want to be sarcastic about it I'm...I don't know what to tell you. It's tiresome.