The 2011 Spike Video Game Awards: On Teabagging, Cupcakes, and Charlie Sheen

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#201  Edited By timeshero

It might be 4chan, but at least its a step in the semi-correct direction.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#202  Edited By gosukiller

@risseless said:

It's a real shame that G4 can't actually be a dedicated gamer channel. It seems a perfect place for a real gaming awards show. But they're too busy showing Cops and Campus PD for some reason. They should take their shows like X-Play and Attack of the Show, and use those as a basis for complete programming overhaul to be a real gaming network. Considering how large the gaming industry is, it seems like there's a market for it, if done right.

The problem is that with that, you only get an audience that doesn't watch much TV. A lot of gamers like to play games on their televisions instead.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By MideonNViscera

This travesty has been going on 9 years? hahaha I thought this was like the 3rd.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#204  Edited By MachoFantastico

Both articles by Alex and Jeff's speak for a lot of us I think. Couldn't agree more Alex.

aaronchance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By aaronchance

Alex, when you are right you are terrifying.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#206  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

@sparks24 said:

First, Geoff K, is an idiot. Period. I don't like him - if it's because of the look of his face (you know, that stupid, slack-jawed look, the one he gives with half open eyes), or because he just comes across as fake over a video. And, if he truly cared about video game devs, he would just stop doing the VGA's. The VGA's is embarrassing, and f*ck i don't want to see another celeb host the show ever again (although Patrick Harris was a great pick for last year's VGA's). Second, I believe we can do a "serious" game dev awards show, just not really with all the tuxedos. Honestly, if Sony's E3 press conferences are any indication, it's that shows can be serious and fun at the same time - not to mention formal.

If you ever heard Keighley talk off-the-cuff about stuff he sounds a lot better and can easily prove his cred. I just think he can't deliver a scripted line for crap. Also, he works for the same company that owns GameTrailers and SpikeTV - Viacom.

"I don't want to do the VGA's."

"No problem. You're fired."

I think we all just have to stop giving the VGA's any attention at all. The biggest ways they get it are advertising on GameTrailers and Spike - their audience is the guys that only ever play Halo and Call of Duty. If it's true that their ratings keep going down then they might be dead sooner than we anticipate.

Maybe we just need to start using new methods of promoting and broadcasting a show such as this. If a stream of League of Legends can get a million live viewers then there's no reason that a Youtube stream of a real gaming awards show can't do the same.

MagikGimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By MagikGimp

Keighley will probably contact Alex AGAIN; America- the sales executive capital of the world.

GeedAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By GeedAwesome

I guess NPH didn't feel a need to return to this sucky awards show.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#209  Edited By hermes

That was why I skipped the show and checked the trailers on youtube the next morning.

I am aware that it benefits some of the parts of this charade, but I wasn't going to fool myself into thinking this show was anything but a trailer galore...

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#210  Edited By swamplord666

The only awards "show" for videogames that I enjoy reading about is the UKs Develop awards, that celebrates the minds behind our most loved games.

snetErz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#211  Edited By snetErz

PAX Guys + GiantBomb + Concert Hall = The Big Live Live Awards Show Live!

Who's with me on this!?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#212  Edited By veektarius

It sounds like the issue with the show is that it's games-themed schtick rather than schtick designed by video-game playing nerds that will resonate with the intended audience. I think this is a pretty successful games/humor site and few of the best jokes to come out of here have a hell of a lot to do with playing Call of Duty (or anything else). It's just a matter of compatible personalities driving the comedy. Didn't watch the show, though.

Keegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#213  Edited By Keegs

Revengeance.

oldschool2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By oldschool2112

That was a fantastic article sir - AOTY!!

@snetErz
said:

PAX Guys + GiantBomb + Concert Hall = The Big Live Live Awards Show Live!

Who's with me on this!?

Yes this!

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By bhhawks78

@hermes said:

That was why I skipped the show and checked the trailers on youtube the next morning.

I am aware that it benefits some of the parts of this charade, but I wasn't going to fool myself into thinking this show was anything but a trailer galore...

This. 100% I watched it once 3 years ago and see no reason to give them another shot.

Saw a portion of the GDC awards Schaffer (sp?) was an awesome host and Mega 64 has more comedic talent than the entire Spike network combined.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By darkjester74

Why is anyone surprised by this? The VGAs have ALWAYS been garbage. Always will be. The only thing worthwhile are the new game trailers which are on every gaming site within 24 hours. So...why should I endure this trash?

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By rapid

While I don't think the VGAs should be how Video Games Award shows are, I don't want to see them all formal and sort of artifical with celebrities reading off jokes and dry humor as the Grammy's are. But then again, what would I know about what a Video Game Award show should look like....

F__KCOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By F__KCOD

Speaking of G4, you guys should to an article about how they really have nothing to do with video games nowadays

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#219  Edited By Ramone

@TimesHero said:

It might be 4chan, but at least its a step in the semi-correct direction.

4chan calling anything puerile, childish or god-awful is laughable.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Ravenlight

@Alex:

... an elaborate beard constructed ...

Winner: Best imagery of 2011

Then, in 8-point, Comic Sans font ...

Sick burn!

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By DeadDorf

@alex : idotic => idiotic

Also, you're right on. Geoff Keighley keeps defending the show even after the fact. It's hurting his credibility, frankly.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By linkster7

This is pretty much how I feel Alex, great article.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#223  Edited By Commisar123

I'm still not sure how I feel about it to be honest, I mean it was bad, I'm just still digesting it

danieljd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By danieljd

I've never watched this award show, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Great stuff Alex.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Mahonay

Well said Alex. That's a sadly accurate description of what the Spike Video Game Awards actually are.

I don't care in the sense that it's bad TV (there is plenty of that to go around on any network), I just hate how incredibly poorly it represents gaming as a whole. If this is what they're bringing to the table to open up the medium to a mainstream audience, all it's accomplishing is fueling the stereotypes that are projected onto gamers/gaming by the general public and the Roger Eberts of the world. The core problem is that Spike TV is not interested in the least in putting together anything that actually respects the industry. It's more a commercial to sell products than a legitimate ceremony. They do not actually care about games. That is clear as day.

We are better than this. We are an incredibly intelligent group of people. As many here in this thread have already expressed, it's insulting. As gamers we are in the right to not accept the Spike Video Game Awards as something that belongs to us. I personally would love to see people in the coming years just straight out refusing to even attend but that's probably not going to happen.

sparks24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By sparks24

@LordCmdrStryker:

That's an excellent idea: a live stream of the REAL video game awards. I wish they could do this. Like I said, I don't understand why e3 press conferences can gain a lot of attention in its formal state, while the VGA's can't do the same. I know that at E3, you get many announcements/advertizements - but isn't the VGA's like that, but just to a lesser degree? This can work with a formal presentation. The video game industry doesn't need another spike VGA's - they need a real, rightfully-deserved one.

(Now that the UFC has left spiketv, I don't give a crap about that channel. The people that own spiketv just seem like sexist idiots now - i mean, not that they didn't seem like that before, but they do now even more so.)

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Mitch0712

Great work, couldn't have said it better.

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#229  Edited By obscurefan

Have you guys thought about hosting your own awards show for games? You know, one that is for gamers who have double digit ages and triple digit IQs as opposed to the garbage that Spike TV pours out each year. A show for the gamers who take gaming seriously as an art form as well as a form of entertainment and roll their eyes at even the idea of a teabag joke.

drmadhatten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By drmadhatten

All I have to do is listen to the Giantbomb crew debate Game of the Year awards on the Bombcast. Hours and hours of that is really all I've ever wanted.

JuggaloAcidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#231  Edited By JuggaloAcidman

Breaking news... Spike TV makes shows that center around fart jokes and plastic tits..! I know this comes as a shock to some of you...

bmeckel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By bmeckel

I mean yes it gets us exposure, but I don't think it's worth it by pandering to the people who don't have a real interest in games.

jagenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By jagenheim

You had me at "Felicia Day and Brooklyn Decker"

leejohnson222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By leejohnson222

now dont get me wrong i love skyrim, but what is the criteria for game of the year, as this game only runs well on pc. Is technical capabilities not even a consideration here ? to me batman was robbed. What skyrim achieved is amazing but its still so buggy and the experience of the game is so varied for every single player, so to me it can be game of the year unless everyone is getting the same experience of the game.

Also was it just me or did everyone simply get an award, it was like there was a BS category created so everyone won an award, best motion game, what 7 year old kid is voting for the VGA awards ? 90% of motion gamers must be either kids or women playing zumba !!

Then 360 doesnt even win best game in their own category, with 2 xbox 360 exclussives !!!a 3rd party won it, what does that say ?it all seemed very wishy washy to me and more about just making every developer happy.metal gear looked awful to me just another bayonetta game.mass effect is looking amazing and hitman and then naughty dog just showed great quality, hope they deliver a strong story you can see production values will be very high.How does joker get character of the year but not voice of the year, seems another example of trying to please all.Just my view but VGA never seems balanced to me.

vyshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By vyshka

I'm glad I didn't waste time watching it.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By ShadyPingu

I didn't watch the VGAs. So... I win? I guess?

Lobo_Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Lobo_Fanboy

Y so serious? Face it, there are plenty of awards handed out that are prestigious and nobody knows or cares about them. I can think of numerous awards that go to authors (you know the people that actually think/invent the concepts we watch and play) in specific genres and nobody cares EXCEPT those that are in the industry. If video games and gaming want an awards show then it's going to be up to developers to uh, develop it. You see the reality is that the video games industry is about MARKETING AND MONEY not necessarily quality product (you know, much like movies these days). If the developers really put together an awards show that truly "honored" and "respected" the gamig industry, it probably wouldn't even be watched by gamers and would most likely take place in a hotel ball room somewhere. Nebulas, anyone...

zrais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By zrais

Embarrassing.

Optimus_Grime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Optimus_Grime

Why so much hate? Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#240  Edited By Siphillis
Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#241  Edited By Ujio

Jesus Christ. Nine years this shit-tacular travesty has been airing? Good God how time flies. I think I watched the very first show because I was genuinely interested in an award show for video games. However the first show was enough to kill any sort of future interest whatsoever. I completely saw through the poorly veiled "award" facade to the true intent behind its creation. I haven't watched the show since and I implore people to do the same.

We don't need a serious award show for video games, but neither do we need whatever the hell the VGAs are supposed to be.

WolfmanNCSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By WolfmanNCSU

We received what we expected to receive. Based on it's history, anything better would be way too high expectations for this show. If we were to truly roll the show back to what it should be, it would be 30 mins of handing out awards and done - not TV worthy. While I do appreciate the world premieres, all the additionally fluff and celebrities in the middle is just garage to fill time and attempt to attract non-gamer audience.

melodeath82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By melodeath82

Although i do usually watch the VGA's , I've never taken it as a serious award show.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#244  Edited By AV_Gamer

I don't take the live award shows seriously, because they don't treat the shows seriously. It's in fact, almost as if these award shows laugh at video games and the gaming industry, instead of honor it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By fattony12000

Oh, humans.

Generiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Generiko

Video poopy awards

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By deathbyyeti

I remember watching Alex's Twitter and how defensive Geoff was being and aggressive

I dont like Geoff Keighley

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By NMC2008

I have not watched any of these without cringing throughout the damn thing, so I guess I will prepare for cringe time tonight. I gotta watch it, it's like watching a cat fall down the stairs with a piano following right behind it.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#249  Edited By ChrisTaran

I am happy to say that I have never and will never contribute to this vile monstrosity's ratings.

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By dr_ryan

the question is, will Geoff Keighly be self referential and show up with mountain dew and doritos to try and make the funny internet joke his joke, thus ruining the joke and looking even more like a tool.

probably.