The Age Old Debate Revived Again

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

Edited By zanzibarbreeze

On the premiere episode of 1UP.com's new flagship podcast, the age old debate has been revived again: will Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots be ported to the XBOX 360? The answer: nobody cares. But for the sake of discussion, here's an excerpt.

SAM KENNEDY: ...don't you think Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to come out for 360 at some point?

JOHN DAVISION: Yeah. Of course.

SAM KENNEDY: They’re looking at those year-in sales of, like, not even two million of MGS4 … they have to.

GARNETT LEE: Well, …

SAM KENNEDY: It’s been hinted at for a long time, it just –

GARNETT LEE: – ’09, right?

SAM KENNEDY: Yeah.

GARNETT LEE: I would say.

JOHN DAVISON: I would be shocked if it doesn’t come this year.

There's been enough said on this topic, and most people are sick of it - all people should be sick of it. My only concern is that they would potentially have to gimp Guns of the Patriots for it to make it onto the 360. That is, if Ryan Payton is to be believed that Metal Gear Solid 4uses up almost a full dual layer Blu-Ray. Do people really want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 so much to accept it being released on multiple discs?

Would it be cheaper to produce a multiple disc DVD game as opposed to a single Blu-Ray? I don't know, I'm not a marketing manager. It would make Konami money, no doubt - but is it even possible? I'm not very sure.

Don't forget that Hideo Kojima is actually one of the directors at Konami, and although he hasn't said much against Microsoft, he was abundantly clear that he wanted Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots to be exclusive to the PlayStation 3.

I don't own an XBOX 360, mostly because there aren't enough games on the platform that interest me to justify my buying a 360 (although I might just get an Arcade sooner or later to play the Gears of War of which people speak of). And I wouldn't re-buy Guns of the Patriots on the 360 unless it had a big fat wad of extra features. But then again, I'm not the market: 360 owners are.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots for the 360? When they can answer the simple technical question "How?", then I'm sure we will see it. Metal Gear Solid 5 for 360 or the next Microsoft console? Definitely.

Related Links
Listen UP Podcast Episode 1
Cross-posted from Metal Gear Scholar blog
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

On the premiere episode of 1UP.com's new flagship podcast, the age old debate has been revived again: will Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots be ported to the XBOX 360? The answer: nobody cares. But for the sake of discussion, here's an excerpt.

SAM KENNEDY: ...don't you think Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to come out for 360 at some point?

JOHN DAVISION: Yeah. Of course.

SAM KENNEDY: They’re looking at those year-in sales of, like, not even two million of MGS4 … they have to.

GARNETT LEE: Well, …

SAM KENNEDY: It’s been hinted at for a long time, it just –

GARNETT LEE: – ’09, right?

SAM KENNEDY: Yeah.

GARNETT LEE: I would say.

JOHN DAVISON: I would be shocked if it doesn’t come this year.

There's been enough said on this topic, and most people are sick of it - all people should be sick of it. My only concern is that they would potentially have to gimp Guns of the Patriots for it to make it onto the 360. That is, if Ryan Payton is to be believed that Metal Gear Solid 4uses up almost a full dual layer Blu-Ray. Do people really want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 so much to accept it being released on multiple discs?

Would it be cheaper to produce a multiple disc DVD game as opposed to a single Blu-Ray? I don't know, I'm not a marketing manager. It would make Konami money, no doubt - but is it even possible? I'm not very sure.

Don't forget that Hideo Kojima is actually one of the directors at Konami, and although he hasn't said much against Microsoft, he was abundantly clear that he wanted Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots to be exclusive to the PlayStation 3.

I don't own an XBOX 360, mostly because there aren't enough games on the platform that interest me to justify my buying a 360 (although I might just get an Arcade sooner or later to play the Gears of War of which people speak of). And I wouldn't re-buy Guns of the Patriots on the 360 unless it had a big fat wad of extra features. But then again, I'm not the market: 360 owners are.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots for the 360? When they can answer the simple technical question "How?", then I'm sure we will see it. Metal Gear Solid 5 for 360 or the next Microsoft console? Definitely.

Related Links
Listen UP Podcast Episode 1
Cross-posted from Metal Gear Scholar blog
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

I remember when he was abundantly clear that Metal Gear Solid 2 was going to stay a PS2 exclusive.  =  /

One way or another, I don't care...as I'm not a fan of the franchise.  Regardless, I think it would be stupid for them to not take advantage of XBL's capabilities, as well as just put the thing over to push more copies.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

But he found a loophole - Sons of Liberty remained exclusive to Sony's consoles, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance didn't. If - sorry, when - they make a similar spin-off, I would bet it would be on the 360 - as long as they did some much needed data management.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru
LCad said:
"ZanzibarBreeze said:
Do people really want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 so much to accept it being released on multiple discs?
...duh?"
Is the thought of multiple discs really that horrifying? It's just swapping discs at a certain time, I don't know why some people act like that's so bad.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Karmum

If we hear nothing this year, I don't think it would be coming at all. Sure, there is alot of time left, but if Microsoft doesn't do that *big* announcement at E3 09, I'd say it won't happen. MGS4 on the 360 coming out 2 years after the PS3 version? Anyone who wanted to play it probably already has, or the ones who had no interest still won't.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
brukaoru said:
"LCad said:
"ZanzibarBreeze said:
Do people really want to play Metal Gear Solid 4 so much to accept it being released on multiple discs?
...duh?"
Is the thought of multiple discs really that horrifying? It's just swapping discs at a certain time, I don't know why some people act like that's so bad.
"
Well, assuming it's only a two disc game at the most. I don't want to have to swap discs. Hell, I don't want to even have to use discs. Having a library of cases is nice and all, but I'm ready for digital distribution. If you have the patience to deal with multi-disc games, more power to you. I just can't be bothered.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Having to get up and swap a disk would be just as bad as having to wait for installs every act.

Anyways, I dont really  care as I already own the game, and have gotten what I want out of it.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By keyhunter

1. Cut out the 25 different localizations: Lots of yapping in cutscenes = lots of space multiplied by 6 or 7 languages = bullshit.
2. FEAR EFFECT had like 4 disks, and so do alot of JRPG's. I'm down with disk swapping. I'm pretty sure anyone who had  PSX is familiar with this daunting task.
3. I can just install it to my 120 GB hard drive anyways.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By DARKIDO07

I really wouldn't care if came on multiple disks becuase I got me a 120GB Hard-Drive , so I could just install the game and play it off of one disk theoretically.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

I dunno if porting it would be a good financial decision. They'd have to change some dialogue and fit it onto the 360, it wouldn't be too hard, it's just: people who want to play MGS4 have already bought a PS3 for it. I mean, how many of us would actually buy MGS4 for the 360? Although, I do predict that the next Metal Gear will definitely be Multiplatform.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Uh... two million is pretty good for sales. Actually, it's around three or four million worldwide. A 360 port isn't needed. They've already made a profit. Besides, I'm sure Sony paid a hefty price to keep this one exclusive.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PureRok

While I don't care about this game (or anything to do with Metal Gear), I don't understand what the big problem is with games with multiple discs. Really. Somebody who's not an idiot please explain to me what the big deal is. It's not like the games will cost more (at least, I've never seen a game have a higher price tag because of multiple discs), and the game won't change; you'll just have to swap a disc out after playing the game for about 3-4 hours (maybe 20 for a RPG).

I just... I just don't get what the fuss is.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
PureRok said:
"While I don't care about this game (or anything to do with Metal Gear), I don't understand what the big problem is with games with multiple discs. Really. Somebody who's not an idiot please explain to me what the big deal is. It's not like the games will cost more (at least, I've never seen a game have a higher price tag because of multiple discs), and the game won't change; you'll just have to swap a disc out after playing the game for about 3-4 hours (maybe 20 for a RPG).

I just... I just don't get what the fuss is."
I guess it's because by now game players would expect to not have to swap discs. That stuff is for back in the day. One would hope that we would have been able to find a solution. You know what? I agree with you. In the final analysis, it's not a very big deal. It's not that hard to get up and change discs. But we shouldn't have to. We should be past that - with Blu-Ray, we are. It's just unfortunate that Microsoft will probably never release a BD Drive for the 360, because then we'd see better games all round - especially multi platform games would look a hell of a lot better if developers knew that they wouldn't have to compress the game differently for each version (discounting that peripheral... what's it called... the Wii? *yeah on Luke Smith*). Wouldn't you still need to swap discs with a 120GB 360? You still need the game in there. Although I guess they could do a Disc 1 thing only, theoretically.
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lunarbunny

I'm interested in the game, but not enough to buy an additional console.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Optiow

I do not think it should go to the 360, but either way I do nto really mind.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Truth is, it may or it may not. It's definately feasible.
In reality though, it shouldn't be such a big topic. MGS4 is a great game, but it's not a FF nor a Halo.

And there's nothing wrong with multiple disks.

I think that if there's one thing we've learned with sony, is that 3rd party exclusives don't exist.  Timed exclusives however do.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pibo47

Ugh...yeah...i really dont even know at this point, i just have no bloody clue...damnit...

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

wait, Luke from Bungie still does the 1up podcasts?
(the slightly gay sounding guy)

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By ZombiePie

Another problem is whether or not Xbox owners are aware of the Metal Gear storyline. Sure some early xbox users may have played Substance, but do they really know the ins and outs of the storyline?

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
Tarsier said:
"mgs4 doesn't need to be 'downgraded' to work on the 360. that's a bunch of sony propaganda BS. "
I don't think anybody from Sony has commented or ever will comment on this topic. The point is that 50GB of game cannot fit on a DVD with a storage capacity of 9GB. They would have to compress the textures and sounds, especially the voice acting. As such some purists may say that MGS4 would need to be downgraded and would not be as good a product on the 360, unless it spans multiple discs. I don't think they'd ever gimp the game so much that it becomes ruined, just so they can release it on another console. If the 360 had Blu Ray support, or compatibility with media that had a big storage capacity, then we would undoubtedly see Guns of the Patriots on a Microsoft console.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
ZombiePie said:
"Another problem is whether or not Xbox owners are aware of the Metal Gear storyline. Sure some early xbox users may have played Substance, but do they really know the ins and outs of the storyline?"
just read wikipedia, lulz.
but really, it applies just as much to playstation owners as it does xbox 360 owners.  i don't think everyone went to the next console up.  I had a ps2 last generation as well as an xbox
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187
brukaoru said:
"LCad said:
"ZanzibarBreeze said:
...duh?"
Is the thought of multiple discs really that horrifying? It's just swapping discs at a certain time, I don't know why some people act like that's so bad."
This.  I mean, I remember when Final Fantasy was using multiple discs as a SELLING POINT on the back of their fucking games!!!  What's the big deal with MGS4 going to 360 on multiple discs?  It's still the same fucking game!
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
jakob187 said:
This.  I mean, I remember when Final Fantasy was using multiple discs as a SELLING POINT on the back of their fucking games!!!  What's the big deal with MGS4 going to 360 on multiple discs?  It's still the same fucking game!"
Are you impressed by multiple disc games? My version of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence came with three discs. Too bad they used those terrible cases which pile multiple discs on top of one another. It's nice when your discs get inadvertently scratched. The "INSERT DISC 2 NOW" joke in Guns of the Patriots worked because it served as a reminder of the aged technology, and how much better ours is today.

The superior Final Fantasy titles didn't even come on discs originally, anyway - until they were re-released X times.
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lunarbunny

WIth NXE's hard-drive installation I figure they'd let you do a multi-disk install on a large enough HDD and use a single disc (disc 1 or any of them) for DRM.