The Art You Heart

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Hi friends, I hope your all well and playing some cool games right now. I imagine many of you are catching up on a few like me. I'm still staring at the Mirrors Edge PC 3 weeks on. I havent even installed the thing.. it's insane..anyway catching up on a few is being done.

The Art You Heart

I adore art, it plays a huge role in my life and profession, that love of art also carries over to those examples found in videogames. Over the years I have come to appreciate many games because of the high quality of art they display. Both for the degree of skill that has been apllied (by sometimes numerous people), and also how well they work to aid the spirit and nature of the game.

I have just been browsing my collection wondering what games I think are special, putting them under the same analysis/scruiting as I would do a painting. In turn, naturally pondering what games have shown a degree of genius, comparable to a great painting or any other form of art. Something as powerful. A painting can be just so, a static image can cut into you and make you feel something intended, if you look upon it with the right mind.. In my eyes the art in videogames are certainly capable of doing the same, and it can be equally powerful when done right.

What are the best examples of Art found in videogames ?

Feel free to post pics and videos and apply short lists and thoughts.

No Aussie rules trolling.

No Caption Provided

Latest Purchases

I bought these two art books today, I love Udon's art, it features in Street Fighter Turbo HD, that bares testament to how fondly Capcom view their art. The second is pretty darn awesome for any fan and features cool little move sets images from the arcade game...I may well have to get some printed up and stuck into a custom Joystick one day.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Anyone else got any art books?, if so, from what games?

Have a cool weekend all.

I'm going to the arcade

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Endogene

Could you make some pictures of your entire collection? sure you have a lot of amazing stuff laying around.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

The price tags on those mar them. Are they the stickers that leave behind crap loads of residue?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

When I get a chance Endo.

PureRok, they have been taken off now, I had just bought them.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Okami is one that always pops up for me, whenever people analyze the art in video games. Eternal Sonata's another beautiful one, even the story is very arty. Most JRPG's have moment's that make you with you could take a screenshot because of how awesome it looks.

I wish I had the money to purchase as many games as you do. ;__;

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

ICO

Was the most amazing image of a game, I have ever played.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time... opened my eyes.

See above and above and beyond again.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks
Claude said:
"

ICO

"

Fumito Ueda's work is awesome. He has a PS3 game in the works right now. I imagine you have already seen the teaser image?. ICO's art is great but sadly not appreciated by the masses as much as something like Shadow of the Colossus. The guy is a artist wether he thinks so or not.

It sure is going to be awesome for the PS3 when that game hits.

EDIT:

No Caption Provided

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By zitosilva

I wish I had more game's art books. The only ones I have are from Persona 3 and 4, but both of them come with the game, so I guess that doesn't really count.

I've been contemplating getting some more, specially for games like Okami or the first Shadow Hearts. But they are nowadays too expensive or impossible to find.

I guess that, as far as a list goes, I'd probably put in what's already on most people's mind. Things like Okami, ICO, Psychonauts and such. I've been trying to think about a single moment of a game that I could capture, like the one you did with Shadow of The Colossus, but it's really hard to remember any. I can think of three moments right now, but I haven't been able to think about older games. These are, in God Of War, whe you first see, from far away, Ares stomping the city. That is a scene that really stood out for me. Also, when you encounter that submarine at the beginning of Uncharted. And lastly the final battle in Heavenly Sword, with you godly like and all the normal people falling down slowly around you. I'll try to think some more.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

Linkyshinks said:

"Claude said:
"

ICO

"

Fumito Ueda's work is awesome. He has a PS3 game in the works right now. I imagine you have already seen the teaser image?. ICO's art is great but sadly not appreciated by the masses as much as something like Shadow of the Colossus. The guy is a artist wether he thinks so or not.

It sure is going to be awesome for the PS3 when that game hits.

EDIT:

No Caption Provided

"

Just another reason to buy a PS3, as if I don't have many. I want to play the games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
zitosilva said:
"I wish I had more game's art books. The only ones I have are from Persona 3 and 4, but both of them come with the game, so I guess that doesn't really count.

I've been contemplating getting some more, specially for games like Okami or the first Shadow Hearts. But they are nowadays too expensive or impossible to find.

I guess that, as far as a list goes, I'd probably put in what's already on most people's mind. Things like Okami, ICO, Psychonauts and such. I've been trying to think about a single moment of a game that I could capture, like the one you did with Shadow of The Colossus, but it's really hard to remember any. I can think of three moments right now, but I haven't been able to think about older games. These are, in God Of War, whe you first see, from far away, Ares stomping the city. That is a scene that really stood out for me. Also, when you encounter that submarine at the beginning of Uncharted. And lastly the final battle in Heavenly Sword, with you godly like and all the normal people falling down slowly around you. I'll try to think some more."

Of course it counts. You should check out this,  I need to get a copy myself, I have been meaning.

I definitely agree with your example in God of War, that looked truly stunning. I have yet to play Uncharted, and Heavenly S. I can well imagine the latter looking awesome though. I need to check that game out.

EDIT:

I love the character design of Kai.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By ArcBorealis

No Caption Provided
I just absolutely LOVE Okami's art. The whole thing is like a living, moving picture, and is just beautiful.
The whole thing just stood out infront of me throughout the entire game.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_

I've got all of the Guild Wars art books, but that's about it.

Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Blinck

Hey man!
I'm a concept artist, I'm actually currently working on a ps3 game ( yet to be announced ), so yeah, art in games plays a big role for me as well!
I'm currently loving the art on the latest Prince of Persia, really awesome! Other games would be: Bioshock, Mirror's Edge ( love the style ), Guild Wars ( amazing concept art team), Half Life 2 ( fantastic architecture ), and although I didn't play it that much, Fallout 3 seemed pretty interesting as well!

I have many art books, but not from games though. But I will probably buy the Mass Effect art book, since I also loved the visuals on that game!
I also did check Wrath of the Lich King artbook on my office, and they have some pretty nice stuff there as well!

Cheers, take care man

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Pepsiman

The Okami art book is indeed an amazing thing to page through. I imported the Japanese version several months before the English version got printed (I wasn't aware that Capcom had actually intended to bring it overseas at the time) and it's simply a marvel to read. They went to throw in a lot of good surprises in there, so not only do you get concept art for things we all know from the game, but cutscene storyboards, alternate Amaterasu designs, and even 8-bit renditions of the cast. Definitely worth it when the book cost $60 to nab from Amazon Japan and is even more so at $30 domestically. Can't really go wrong with it if you minutely liked Clover's arguably most famous work.

As for other art books, I unfortunately lack much in the way of a budget. I do, however, also own the Persona 3 and 4 artbooks that came with each game's release. However, since 4's content was trimmed down to be a suitable freebie, I also imported two more artbooks of the game from Japan, one with the "Official Design Works" as they call it and another which is a compilation of fan work sent into Atlus after the game's release. They're both enjoyable to go through, but the fan art compilation probably wins out simply because the fans' imaginations can be rather amusing at times. That, and if you can read Japanese, they actually provide Social Link guides in it, too. Not a bad bonus.

Regarding actual games, besides ones such as ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, since they've already been listed, I really enjoyed what Cave Story did from an aesthetic standpoint. I think nowadays it's really hard to do 8-bit-looking sprites properly since it usually requires calling upon the limitations of another time period and working within those constraints. But Cave Story did a really great job of looking like a game from a decade or two ago while still playing quite nicely in the modern age. Other than that, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Wind Waker yet. Say what you will about the game, but I'm glad it dared to be different from an artistic standpoint. I suppose I should also give a nod to the Geometry Wars games, too, since I'm rather fond of their ability to put on a captivating light show with only a few lines and one color per enemy type.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
Blinck

I would have taken that route myself but choose not to in the end, instead I am slugging it out as a fine artist, but doing pretty well, for now at least :)

I have a load of actual art books also, too many in fact. (running out of space) They mainly comprise of books of my favourite artists throughout the ages, mainly books on the Renaissance artists, as well as books on ancient art which strongly influences my own work.

I have yet to play PoP but I have seen enough of it to know it looks great. I have played Mirrors Edge and love it's style also.  From the player character concept, which is so refreshing, to the clinical sterilized environment, that game is all quality with it's art. The "Beast Lighting" really helps to lift everything also, and give it that edge. *cough*

Pepsiman

I will definitely pick it up, how could I not after that recommendation. I was hoping that it would feature such cool content. I love Chinese/Japanese brush painting so naturally love the art found in Okami.

I am all for noting Wind Waker. That game has fantastic art and animation, and it's all put together so well. The Forest Temple and the likes were excellently realised

I need to check out Cave Story, I have been meaning to. Noitu Love 2 tries to do something similar but in the 16bit mould. It's a shooter also and equally cool.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Steve_C

There's some good mentions already. I think Valkyria Chronicles deserves a shout out. I still need to get that game, but it looks gorgeous.
I also love the style of Loco Roco, and Patapon as an extension. The lack of textures, and the really bold saturated colours felt really refreshing.

I'll have to say Flower too. That game had such a strong impression on me within the space of a second or whatever, when it was shown at e3. That's pretty indicative of how amazing it looks.

snake911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By snake911

Cool stuff.  Hey, I just ordered that Udon art book last week!  I should be getting it soon.  I also purchased two other art books as well.  I’ll make a post about them soon.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By CreamyGoodness

i enjoyed the gears 2 one. only thing, here in canada, we got a soft copy in english, and the hard copy was in french. BULL

DrCLos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By DrCLos

I got one for Gears of War and World of Warcraft. Love the art books but don't usually like spending on them. I got both as gifts. :D