• 163 results
#101 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2730 posts) -

Read Dead without a doubt. But the last of us does come to mind also.

#102 Posted by armaan8014 (6114 posts) -

Mass Effect 3.

I kid!!

Seriously - The Witcher 1, what a beautiful beautiful game!

Mass Effect 1

Dragon Age Origins

Assassins Creed 1&2

Portal 1&2

Definitely forgetting some other titles but yeah..

#103 Edited by Glots (2869 posts) -

Hmm. There's only one game that I consistently think of when I think about this question, and that's Grim Fandango. the train driving into through the gate and disappearing is just beautifully final. But it starts pretty much from the moment you arrive at the final temple and talk to the doorkeeper. There's a peace to that area that is a really nice counterpoint to some of the crazy shit that happens beforehand

Was planning on posting about GF, glad to see someone else approves of it too! I think it especially struck out to me since it took me a long time (which was enjoyable as a whole, except for a few puzzles...) to finish the game and it was also the last adventure game, that I really loved. I have played a handful after, of course, but none has reached that level of quality again.

#104 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (3425 posts) -

I have a terrible memory... but from what I CAN remember, I'd have to say Mass Effect 1

#105 Posted by mano521 (1258 posts) -

red dead redemption, bioshock infinite, mass effect 3, journey,

also for sheer stupidity

Loading Video...

#106 Posted by dudeglove (12579 posts) -

Why the fuck do people say RDR all the time? The true ending to all games is Devil May Cry 3 and case fucking closed.

#107 Posted by Aterons (207 posts) -

I fell that a few endings that managed to "differentiate" themselves would be

-Dishonored because, more fucking ending credits need to have an ending music that's actually relevant to the story and in the spirit of the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NFGgl7Cqs

-The Witcher 2 Enhanced edition, because similar to everything in that game, it was better than any other RPG ending I ever saw. It left it open enough to be worthy of an expansion but it gave a great sense of closure for the game story arch and a lot of the shit you did influenced it

#108 Posted by SideburnGuru (58 posts) -

People say RDR, because the game has a likeable character. At least to me, John was really likeable. Then suddenly, that ending, after ALL the work you put in, just knees you in the gut, slaps you in the face, tells you are the work you did was worthless, and spits on you.

Okay, that's pushi- no, it's actually exactly how it feels if you like that character. However, the REAL ending makes it so much sweeter, so at least the game picks you up slowly, and pats you on the back saying "See, we're not THAT bad.". Jokes aside, I'd say Walking Dead was another slap to the face ending. Great, but I'm getting tired of endings that make me feel bad.

Last Of Us made me think whether or not I liked the character's actions or not. Another classic ending is any Mario game, there's a happy ending. You save the princess, kill the giant turtle, smiling faces everywhere, no death, just a good happy ending. There we go.

#109 Posted by Tearhead (2436 posts) -

@tearhead: Was that really necessary?

That list was already made long before this thread. Might as well get all the use out of it that I can.

#110 Edited by ervonymous (1299 posts) -
#111 Posted by obcdexter (921 posts) -

Some of my favorites: Snake Eater, The Walking Dead, Read Dead Redemption, Nier, Drakengard's super crazy sci-fi E ending which only a true boss would even consider to iterate upon later, Radiata Stories :'(, Silent Hill 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Illusion of Gaia, Persona 3 ... and many more. There are quite a lot of good one's out there. If I had to pick one spontaneously, I'd say Silent Hill 2's ending was the overall best.

#112 Posted by Claude (16651 posts) -
#113 Posted by SaFt (567 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 3. I think it was the first game that made me genuinely feel sad for a video game character.

#114 Edited by heis24 (50 posts) -

I really liked the ending to Wind Waker on Gamecube. Walking Dead and Red Dead were also pretty good.

#115 Edited by gokaired (581 posts) -

Best endings are from

Silent Hill 2 (that letter, Oi!)

Knight's in the Nightmare

Shadow of the Colossus

FF6

I might add more if i remember any

#116 Posted by abrasion (423 posts) -

Journey - no spoiler tags required. No question of it.

#117 Edited by Karmosin (329 posts) -

Persona 4: Only worked as good as it did for me because of saying farewell to the characters and the credit roll was pretty kickass with a great song and the character and persona-portraits appearing in the corner. It made me cry tears of joy.

The darkness: The darkness consumed Jackie in the end and the last thing he dreamed was of Jenny where he finally got to apologize. Atleast that's what I thought until the sequel came and ruined it... PS. I know there's a comic, but I've never read it. I hear it's pretty rubbish though.

The neutral ending of Shin megami tensei nocturne: Throughout the game all of your friends trade away their own humanity to gain power in order to see their reasons through. You though, were forced into the role of the demi-fiend, half man, half demon. And yet, in the end you're the one who held his humanity closest to heart, not being swayed by promises to create YOUR "perfect" world, but instead let the world continue with the free will of all, allowing humanity to build it's own future. Even if it's very simplistic and pretty nondramatic in it's execution it touches me very deeply and is probably one of my favorite endings of all time in any medium. Also the true demon ending kicked ass.

#118 Posted by Anwar (986 posts) -

There are a couple, GTA 3, RDR and TLOU.

#119 Posted by Hunter5024 (6702 posts) -

I have a list about this. Unfortunately the site update made it impossible to follow the links though. I should probably edit that.

#120 Posted by Tennmuerti (9082 posts) -
#121 Posted by Brenderous (1241 posts) -

BioShock and BioShock: Infinite stand out in my mind as having awesome endings. Although, I guess for BioShock it wasn't the ending so much as the Would You Kindly reveal.

#122 Posted by Zekhariah (700 posts) -

Fallout 2 was kind of amazing, especially using a conversation based ending. Though I'm not completely certain that my ability to immerse myself in games was better at the time (e.g. Saints Row III and Mass Effect 1/2/3 feel like they should maybe rank better if I were more objective, buts it is hard to say).

#123 Posted by GreggD (4595 posts) -

I know I'll be the only one to say it, but Max Payne 3. As a die-hard fan of the series, I thought the ending was perfect. Max finally did something he could be proud of, and ended up on top, feeling like he actually accomplished something.

#124 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -
#125 Posted by Tyrrael (461 posts) -

I don't know if I could ever choose just 1, but Devil May Cry 3 was pretty damn good. And the way they explained the name "Devil May Cry" was absolute brilliance.

#126 Edited by Castiel (3279 posts) -

@capum15: That World in Conflict ending was pretty good and I haven't even played the game, I imagine it's even better if you actually have. It's so rare that you see video games use licensed music like that and I really wonder why.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
#127 Posted by awesomeusername (4606 posts) -

I can't name of favorite ending you sicko. But here's my top favorite endings:

• Bioshock Infinite - *Head explodes*
  • The Last of Us - .........
  • Portal 2 - MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN. That ending was so awesome.
  • The Walking Dead - :'(
  • Red Dead Redemption - :(
  • Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare - RISEEEEEEEEE
  • Infamous - Who saw that coming?!
  • Infamous 2 - Both endings are so good, especially the bad one.
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Drake and Elena's bickering is hilarious.
  • Spec Ops: The Line - :O That was crazy.
  • The Darkness 2 - I saw it coming but it was so fucked up and kind of funny, loved it. So comic-y.
  • Papo & Yo - It was pretty sad.
  • To The Moon - Fantastic sound track, rocket launch, & funny scientist dude.
  • Dead Space 1 & 2 - You know what I'm talking about.
  • Saint's Row: The Third - The save ending was just so dumb and fun.
#128 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (3425 posts) -

Now that i think about it. Bioshock

#129 Posted by JazGalaxy (1638 posts) -

Deus ex 2: invisible war. That game is so under rated.

#130 Posted by super2j (2098 posts) -

this is definitely not the first on my list but it was the first one that popped into my mind: Metal gear solid 4. I remember thinking "eh, this is not that great", then it dawned on me how awesome the what I was seeing was. That sunset, the battleships, the various music. amazing, insane and dumb but amazing.

#131 Posted by Flappy (2415 posts) -
  • Persona 4 - Made me cry like a bitch at the time. Spent 80~ hours with a group of characters only to remember that this will be the last time(?) that I'll see them.
  • Read Dead Redemption - That's some pretty fucked up shit, eh?
  • Persona 3 - Ignoring the abomination that was The Answer, the original ending was pretty...interesting.
  • FFXIII-2 - Obviously ended in a way that would allow it to continue in the final game of a trilogy, but the way things go down is pretty messed up.
  • Drakengard - Take your pick. Most of these endings are totally fucked.
  • The Last of Us - A-yup.
  • Bioshock Infinite - Elizabeth...
  • Radiant Historia - I'd love to spoil it (not really), but I believe that more people should play it.
  • Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy - I HAVE NO WORDS FOR THIS ENDING.

So the "best ending" quickly became "the most memorable endings," so I rattled off whatever popped into my head at the moment. Sue me. All of these games (and more!) should be experienced in one way or another.

#132 Posted by PhilipDuck (649 posts) -

Yeah probably RDR and Infinite off the top of my head. Both amazing, i wasn't as impressed by Spec Ops as some other people were...

#133 Posted by Capum15 (5699 posts) -
@castiel said:

@capum15: That World in Conflict ending was pretty good and I haven't even played the game, I imagine it's even better if you actually have. It's so rare that you see video games use licensed music like that and I really wonder why.

Yeah, it's used pretty well there. Just a bit more info, throughout the game the guy who owns it talks about it ("Get this, it's a Portable CD player, man!", because the game's back during the cold war) but doesn't have any batteries. It's only mentioned a few times, but it's a cool little touch to those guys' side story.

Also, while it's not an ending, this is by far one of my favorite cutscenes / trailers ever:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for scientificpizza
#134 Posted by ScientificPizza (2437 posts) -

Halo 2

RDR obvi, and I am glad that everyone recognises this

#135 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -

So here's the thing. As much as I love the endings of Mafia and The Witcher -and I do, they're amazing- they're still only passive endings. They only manage to be so great because they take control away from you and say 'Sit there and watch this, you'll love it'. They were right, but still. The older I get, the more I realise my actual favourite endng is... Prince of Persia '08.

PoP '08 has a very unconventional / borderline genius ending, which sadly went over most peoples heads. That's not intended as criticism; the message being expressed in it is so unconventional for a game, and delivered so subtly for a game, that it's easy to miss entirely. It may even be a compliment if you don't pick up on what's being said, because perhaps you need to be a certain kind of asshole to hear what's being said.

Regardless, there's a rare moment during the ending where the interactive mechanics themselves are used to say something, which is one of the very few examples of games being art in their own right, rather than just as a collection of other art forms. It's a moment unique to gaming, using the interactive nature of gaming, to express something in a manner which no passive medium could ever achieve. That's what makes it special to me. It's what should be held up as Exhibit A in the 'Games as Art' argument, as opposed to the facile 'Games are art because they have drawings and music and stuff in!' argument. No, games can be art in their own right because you can say things through interactivity in a way which cannot be replicated by a passive medium. By making the player an accomplice, the impact of what you're saying can be far more powerful than merely saying it to them, as a passive medium has to.

You could argue there's another artistic interactive moment like that at the end of RDR, but I don't like the end of RDR at all so fuck it.

#136 Edited by PonchoPowerPhD (41 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption

Spec Ops: The Line (I still don't quite fully comprehend the ending)

Braid

Bastion

I predicted Bioshock Infinite's ending way before it happened, so It wasn't that great for me.

Portal 2 was pretty dope SPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Shadow of the Colossus

FFVI

God Of War 3

Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos(the human ending)

Journey

FFVII: Crisis Core(I knew what happened beforehand, but it still was really emotional for me)

MGS 4

Okami

I'll post some more when I think of them.

#137 Posted by THRICE_604 (217 posts) -

Recently Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us have had some of my favorite endings of the last few years. Like everyone else Red Dead Redemption was fantastic. The PS1 Final Fantasy games all had good endings. I want to say FF8 had my favorite but 9's giant blue middle finger of an out of nowhere final boss has me torn because of how dumb that all was.

#138 Posted by Andorski (5481 posts) -

Prince of Persia (2008). People who think that it was an incomplete story that had it's "real ending" sold as DLC are crazy. The story itself was pretty average, but the structure in which the whole string of events comes full circle was fantastic.

#139 Edited by Nux (2759 posts) -

Digital Devil Saga 1 had a pretty good ending.

#140 Posted by shadowthrone (60 posts) -

This is definitely a tough question to try to answer. There are just so many.

Bioshock Infinite - The initial time I played through this, it was completely out of the blue. The fact you are Comstock and they just info dump on you about parallel universes; it's all complete insanity.

Half Life 2 - The ending with G-Man is fantastic, the possibility for HL3 were, or are I guess, endless.

Assassin's Creed 2 - It all circled around to an ancient civilization , and opened the door to so many opportunities for the story direction to go.

Portal 2 - It's hard not to love the ending to this game, it's packed full of songs and the consistent humor of the entire game. Spaaaaaace!

Red Dead Redemption - Well, the death of the main character was a completely unexpected event, leading to a genuine 'what the fuck' moment.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West - Classic tale told with a post apocalyptic perspective. The ending is pretty crazy, dealing with some Matrix style enslavement of humanity and the freeing of minds.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#141 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (7009 posts) -

Journey and The Walking Dead immediately come to mind for me. Both made me cry.

Other than that I really enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, Arkham City, 999, MGS4 and Portal 2's endings. SPACE!

#142 Posted by bombedyermom (422 posts) -

I played through Journey while on mushrooms.

Fucking beautiful, man.

#143 Posted by l4wd0g (2370 posts) -

I loved the ending to Splinter Cell Conviction.

#144 Posted by gokaired (581 posts) -

@flappy said:

• Radiant Historia - I'd love to spoil it (not really), but I believe that more people should

HA! So true :)

#145 Edited by Shortbreadtom (1009 posts) -

Binary Domain. Absolutely fantastic and unexpected.

Also, I don't think it's the greatest ending ever, but inFamous 2 deserves a shoutout just for how crazy the final choice you have to make is.

#146 Posted by CoinMatze (546 posts) -

Do all of you just get high on that fucked up revenge at the end of RDR? I mean, I like it as some sort of sick ironic twist, because there is no redemption and by getting the true ending you doom Jack to the shitty life that John was trying to save him from. I never understood why that ending garnered a collective "hell yeah".

#147 Posted by CoinMatze (546 posts) -

Do all of you just get high on that fucked up revenge at the end of RDR? I mean, I like it as some sort of sick ironic twist, because there is no redemption and by getting the true ending you doom Jack to the shitty life that John was trying to save him from. I never understood why that ending garnered a collective "hell yeah".

#148 Posted by Humanity (16222 posts) -

@andorski said:

Prince of Persia (2008). People who think that it was an incomplete story that had it's "real ending" sold as DLC are crazy. The story itself was pretty average, but the structure in which the whole string of events comes full circle was fantastic.

Heck yah, it's so crazy how you just do all that, after the WHOLE GAME and yet I didn't think twice of it.

#149 Edited by VaddixBell (275 posts) -

I think it's MGS3. To have the Boss betray Snake was very expected from just the conventions of so many of these stories. But to then have it that she never betrayed Snaker or her country and that she fulfilled the mission she was given, until the end was brilliant. I thought it was the best ending in a game I've played to date(still haven't played The Last of Us).

#150 Posted by Zlimness (630 posts) -

@jimbo: I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The fact that Ubisoft didn't continue Prince of Persia 08 is the biggest bummer this generation. I guess there's some comfort in that the game ends and they didn't turn out any bad sequels. I kind of forgot exactly how the ending played out so I went back and looked at it again. And you're totally right. That ending could only work in a game and it was way before it's time. It's funny that it reminds me a lot of the ending of The Last of Us. Two wildly different games, but are very similar in how both games end and what it entices the player to do. PoP is way more sublime though. While TLoU tricks you, PoP is upfront about the whole thing and straight out mocks you for doing it.