Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#101  Edited By BeachThunder
@artofwar420 said:
"

I'm trying to remember a 2d sidescroller game. I played it around 1997 or 1998. I played it on a computer that had either Windows 98 or 95 on it.  

The game started with you driving up to a mansion/house in a red truck/car and you came out and had a shotgun and a cap, possibly red as well. The main character looked like a stereotypical hunter dude.

The rest I remember was that you had to jump over the a big gate and around a tree. Once over the gate you could go inside the mansion. Then you started shooting mummies or zombies and went around the room until you found a key that took you to another room, etc. 

The game seemed 16bit, anyone have any idea what game it was?

"
Wait are you talking about Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion? If so, I think you're the third person to ask about that game XD
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#102  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@Nikral: Sorry for the late reply. 
You are very close, but not quite there. I remember the graphics being better, and you had to go topside to get air. I found a download of U95, so I know for sure it's not it. But man, that must have taken some sweet work to find. Really appreciate the effort.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By artofwar420
@BeachThunder: OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. My long 10 year quest is finally over, I can now rest. Thanks brah.
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@NoDeath said:

" Been trying to find this game for a while now.   Its a hacking game. I remember getting it for free in the CD that came with a copy of a gaming magazine I bought. I'm not sure when this was exactly. Early 2000s, like 03ish. It was definitely a small indie game. Might have even been freeware. The gameplay was entirely text based. The interface looked like a graphically spruced up version of DOS. The main color scheme was blue (I think blue might have been in the name but I haven't found anything trying to search for that). The very first thing you had to do was type help to get a list of commands and then you typed email to log in and get your first assignment. I remember the tutorial mission involved getting information that had to do with marine biology. I think it might have been hacking into university computers or something. "

If the game Nikral found isn't it, maybe it's BS Hacker: Replay? It seems a bit too graphically upgraded to be it, but I guess it is worth a shot. Here's a screenshot of it. 
Or maybe Blue Sky: Acceptable Casualties? It has blue in it, it has a semi-UNIX environment according to MobyGames, and it looks like this

@Aronman789: Could it be Viper Racing?  Video. I remember that level in the video, which should qualify as countryside, and there was another level in the demo I think that was basically laps around a farm. That game has awesome destruction physics, only topped by Carmageddon 2.
kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By kalmis

I am looking for a 2D sidescroller for Sega Megadrive. It had a co-op mode and boss fights. Also I think it had a horse riding/train sequence. 
For a long time I remembered/though it was Gunstar Heroes but it is not.

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By nikral
@Durandir:  I think we are running out of yellow submarine games now...*sigh*
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#107  Edited By Aronman789
@Durandir: Oh lawdy I think that's it! I remember the graphics being a bit better, but since I haven't played it in years my mind is probably making that up, thanks man!
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By X19
@Aronman789: I'm curious to find out since you were the second user Durandir replied to in his comment, did you get a PM from him or did you just read through the comments in the thread?
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Aronman789
@X19: Actually he sent me a PM himself telling me that he responded, but the site didn't send me one with it so I had to go looking by myself.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By X19
@Aronman789: Thanks it's part of the bug report I sent but i'm not sure it can be fixed.
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@Nikral: Yeah. I am starting to wonder if my mind has made this game up. Been searching around myself now and then as well, and I just cannot find anything. 

@Aronman789: Glad I could help! Remember the destruction was so fun to play with. The first racing game I really liked, and all the racing games I like now is also pretty arcade-like and has car destruction physics. 

@X19: Yeah, I sent him a PM as well. Mostly because I edited in my reply to him. Don't think the system works when you do that. And if no-one but Nikral get a notification now, then multiple replies doesn't work at all.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By X19
@Durandir: Graphics are always the first thing to go a little hazey when trying to remember old games. Are you sure it was a yellow submarine and your contrast wasn't messed up on your PC monitor? XD
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#113  Edited By fox01313
@melcene: 
Sounds like Jungle Hunt or one of the clones that were put out first to the arcades then every console existing at the time. I recall that one arcade game having a few different reskinned versions with the almost same gameplay & slight differences (Colonial explorer or Tarzan ripoff). Hope this helps. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/jungle-hunt/61-11421/      

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@X19: Hehe, well, everything is possible. Maybe the "yellow" part of my question should be downplayed. It was definitely a submarine at least, there where piranhas and you had to surface for air. And I vaguely remember the first level (which was all I can remember playing) to have quite narrow routes you had to go. Damn this is annoying. I can even remember exactly how the piranhas look like... maybe I can see if I find image of them.  
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By X19

I only played this game as a demo and it crashed after 10 seconds so I can't give you much info on it.  

1. I played it on either Windows 3.1 or 95 but it might have run through DOS.
  2. The game was a side scrolling platform game.
  3. The story from what I could grasp was that a normal boy had been teleported to this alien world. It was a very colourful game and the 1st level started with a futuristic city in the background. Can't remember the enemies at all but I think he had some kind of blaster but I might be mixing that up with another game.
  4. Music was midi like Simon the Sorcerer and I remember this because when it crashed it got stuck on one note.
korlic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#116  Edited By korlic
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#117  Edited By willin
@NoDeath:  I know the game you are talking about, while I don't remember the name of the game I do remember the magazine it came from, PC User.
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#118  Edited By willin

Here is something a little different from the normal 'what is this game'.

This game was an older PC game, perhaps DOS or a early version of Windows. Anyway it was just a game where you make faces with simple shapes with simple colours. While I don't remember much of the gameplay what I do remember is the music which featured many of the 'classical' masterpieces such a Canon in D and Ode to Joy. But where this gets interesting is one melody from one of the pieces which has been stuck in the recess of my brain for almost 15 years and from memory I have transcribed it and produced it here.

Now if anyone can name the game or even this piece of music I will be very grateful.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By X19
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft: Link is dead.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#120  Edited By Video_Game_King
@kalmis: 

Is it Sunset Riders? Or Wild Guns? I'm not sure that it'd be Wild Guns (I don't even remember if it was on the Genesis), but you never know.
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By nikral
@kalmis: If Video_Game_King didnt get it....could it possibly be  Contra: Hard Corps it has coop and boss fights and in this video you can see he is on a train 

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By nikral
@X19: Uhm, let's try Out of This World

Here is the first 11 minutes (including intro video) . It looks pretty nice for '91

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By X19
@Nikral:
No it was more like 93 onwards to 96 I would have to guess. It was really colourful and the graphics weren't blocky or arty. It was very much a bright happy side scroller which I doubt had much depth to it compared to the game you mentioned (no cutscenes). Games I was playing at the time were Simon the Sorcerer, Skunny Kart and Electroman and the graphics were pixely like those but the colours weren't as saturated as STS.  

How awesome is this music XD 

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#124  Edited By kalmis
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Ignor
@X19 said:

"How awesome is this music XD "

You're right, that music is pretty awesome :)
I thought I heard the governator for a sec there, at 1:34.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By X19
@Ignor: He definitely says "I'll be back". Man that was such a nostalgia trip for me watching that.
spuugvuur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#127  Edited By spuugvuur

Hi, so glad I found this site!

Here's my question: around 1990-1995 I played a DOS game that I can't find anywhere! I don't remember the name, but it was about a rescue mission near Saturn's moons (Titan comes to mind). It was in first person perspective, but most of the graphics were pre-rendered movies. I remember the first level leading you through a maze of circular shaped tunnels. About 10 meters in front of you it would go completely black, so whenever you moved forward you had no idea what you would encounter. Sometimes crawly things (trilobite-like) would come at you via floor, wall or ceiling, other times there could be this gigantic squid-like alien creature that you had to dissect by shooting it in the right places. I remember finding it very scary as it was very claustrophobic and way too difficult.
Other things I remember was this woman (maybe it was your avatar, maybe the person you needed to rescue), she had a tight blue suit with short dark hair, she also had pretty huge breasts. There also was a guy in a grey suit, but I believe this dude had a visor as well (yellow glass(?)). Now that I'm trying to recall more about it, I actually think you were that guy and you had to save the girl. I vaguely remember a cutscene where you find her, but she has been taken over by an alien or something (I remember her eyes becoming a solid color).
I also believe the intro was about the woman before she disappeared, done in classic logbook style.

That's really all I can remember about it, thanks in advance if you know the answer!

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By nikral
@spuugvuur: Well here ya go a good turn around on this one me thinks (I'm pretty sure this is the game)  Creature Shock 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By BeachThunder
SUPER ULTRA HARD MODE:

• PC point and click adventure game
  • Early-mid 90s (I think I was running Windows 95 at the time)
  • The first area was set in a zoo
  • You played as a monkey
  • I remember a banana in my inventory...
  • I think the graphics were too much for my system to handle and whenever I tried playing it everything seemed garbled and static-y
  • Not sure what else I can say...uh, it wasn't Monkey Island.
spuugvuur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By spuugvuur

Question Complete

That's it Nikral! Thanks so much!

Completely forgot about the flying there part, awesome!
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By nikral
@BeachThunder: Oh boy I think I'm on a roll today!   

Let's try this --->  Runaway (No GB Page)    
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By BeachThunder
@Nikral:  :O

<3

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, since I thought my last question was impossible, I think I might re-post something from the original CRTNOTG thread, in the hopes the maybe someone might have a clue:

"There was a game that I found perhaps 5 or 6 years ago, it was a freeware PC game, I don't know how old the game actually was though. It was a puzzle game that involved tiny pixel robots. There were small blocks with numbers on them that were altered whenever a robot interacted with them, these blocks needed to match up with the numbers shown below them. The tiles in the game would have maybe been 8 pixels high (?), everything was fairly small. I don't think you even directly controlled the robots themselves, but instead I think you had to adjust the level design so that the robots could change the blocks to display the correct numbers. It was a 2D sideview game and the background was black. I remember there being conveyor belt tiles. The game would have fitted into the category of a Programming Game, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't any of those games listed in that Wikipedia article. The game had a level editor and I remember someone making a huge calculator in it and other amazingly complex things."

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#134  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I remember playing a game on the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis which was a top-down scrolling shooter where you would control an army guy and had to shoot your way through a load of other guys. Every so often you would find a tent which you could go into to recruit another army guy to your team and he would have a different weapon (Eg one had a flamethrower, one had a gun which spread out bullets, one had a machine gun, etc). Then when you die you would swap to one of the other guys. Every so often you would have to fight a boss like a tank or a jet or a helicopter. I remember there being a level in a swamp, and one level where you had to shoot through a load of barbed wire fences. I also remember it being pretty brutal on lives but I guess back in the day that was standard for almost all games. I played the game at least 12 years ago so I guess it was released before that, don't know if that helps? It was a pretty generic top-down shooter but I was obsessed with it when I was a kid so any help finding it would be great. 

Anybody?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acb8d4928424
deactivated-5acb8d4928424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AnimalFather: I'm thinking Bioforge? It came out in 1995 and has a slightly transparent green cyborg hand on the box. Only 2 years in development, so going from box art here. :)
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#136  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Am I allowed to answer my own question? It was Mercs :P

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By X19
@Sweep: It's cool I will just put it as Resolved in the archive and next time you make a music related blog I will spam it with "Girls Generation" videos :)
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By nikral
@BeachThunder: You know what this took a little bit of work to find so I hope this is what you wanted! 

Rubicon : A Machine-Building Puzzle Game

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By BeachThunder
@Nikral: ;_; Zomg!Thank you! I shall marry you! (in a platonic, totally non-creepy way).

edit: heh, totally didn't think it was a browser game...
ghetodank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ghetodank

hello.i cant remember this old pc game..FPS its set in ww2 but jumps to the future during the game,i think your sent back to find a german time machine .The first mission you start in a church ,or something like it armed with a knife ,theres a german officer at the other end so you kill him from behind and take his gun,as you do two german soldiers come in and shoot at you,when you kill them you go up a stair case and battle your way out,thats all i can remember .its not return to castle wolfsteain but its alot like it.i also remember in the game in some rooms would have pictures of the developers on the walls in frames like actual pictures of them.another part in this game had hitler ranting and shouting in this room but you cant shoot or interact with him but u can see him and hear his loud voice all through the level .hope someone can help..thanks    
spuugvuur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By spuugvuur

Okay, got another game I can't remember the name of. This time it's gonna be a lot more vague though.

As far as I can remember this game is a clear R-Type clone and I used to play in on the Amiga (pre 1990). I clearly remember the normal shooting stuff that comes from the right side of the screen, but there were also super-speed parts where just had to steer up and down, and collect as many power-ups/money as possible. Sometimes there were forks in your path where you had to quickly choose which one to take.

This one is kinda tricky because I can imagine lots of R-Type clones (maybe even R-Type as well) having super-speed parts because the whole side shooter genre lends itself pretty good to this type of feature. However, I do feel that if I see some screenshots or a gameplay video, I'll immediately recognize it.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#142  Edited By melcene

Question Complete 

@fox01313
said:
" @melcene: 
Sounds like Jungle Hunt or one of the clones that were put out first to the arcades then every console existing at the time. I recall that one arcade game having a few different reskinned versions with the almost same gameplay & slight differences (Colonial explorer or Tarzan ripoff). Hope this helps. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/jungle-hunt/61-11421/      

"
 @X19: YES!  YES!  This was it!
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By nikral
ghetodank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By ghetodank
@Nikral:
not it ,but thanks for looking
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By X19
@ghetodank: Are the graphics like wolfenstein or are they older like quake 2?
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By nikral
@ghetodank: Okay! Second times the charm....This is the game you are looking for  ---> Mortyr 2093 

:)  Didn't get very good reviews lol.
ghetodank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By ghetodank
@Nikral: thats it holy **** how did u get that.its mortyr the first one....you got it man thanks
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By nikral

@ghetodank: lol Well thats what I'm here for! 
I kinda recall maybe playing that game when I was younger but not playing much of it.  Just the box art is familiar.

ghetodank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By ghetodank

Yeh it was first game i ever played on a pc.trying to find a free download now,cant wait to play it again.thanks 

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By nikral
@X19: It better not be one of the Commander Keen Games.....cause if it is....oohhh boy.