Hey everyone! ZombiePie's been putting these community showcases together for years now, and it's well past time to get them more prominently featured. As such, we're going to be hosting them on the homepage moving forward. Although my name's on the byline, ZombiePie deserves all the credit for putting them together. Enjoy! - Rorie
Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight. Do not attempt to adjust your computer monitors, YES this edition of the Spotlight is indeed on the frontpage of Giant Bomb rather than being pinned to the forums. Today marks an exciting moment for myself, the Spotlight, and the Giant Bomb Community. Together we are going to experiment and explore new avenues, formats, and activities to more effectively spread the word about the best content that the Giant Bomb Community has to offer every week. However, I would first like to thank Mr. Rorie, Jeff, and all of the members of the staff for allowing this to happen, and of course all of you for continually providing me with the amazing material to justify this happening in the first place. Thank you, and this is and always has been for you.
State of the Site
It goes without saying that the format of the Community Spotlight will be tinkered with in future editions. If you have any suggestions on how to better present community content please feel free to present your ideas and thoughts in the comments below. For this week we will be maintaining the standard format as with previous editions, but I will be taking all of your suggestions for future editions very seriously.
As seen on the banner Dan made a guest appearance on the Comedy Button Podcast which you can catch over here. In regards to site related housekeeping there a few announcements worth sharing. First off if you were having issues posting on the forumsthe issue should be fixed now thanks to the hard efforts of the engineering team. Another issue that the engineers are actively dealing with are the CSFR Token Errors which have been hitting some users on the site. If you have experienced a CSFR Token Error please drop a comment here. Speaking of the engineers they would like for anyone that is still having issues with the Giant Bomb video player to go ahead and run a special diagnostic test to help them locate potential sources to these issues.
Clip(s) of the Week
The first video of the week comes from @turboman who has a new edition of his "Best of Giant Bomb" video series. This episode is all about Dan playing games with his father. The second video comes from the Guilty Gear Xrd Weekly Tournament Group, which you can join here, in the form of an archive of their last tournament.
The first image comes from Kyle G on Twitter who shares his best attempt to create Charlie Tunoka in Bloodborne. The next set of images come from Stochastic Gamer on Tumblr who was inspired by last year's Halloween UPF.
- Giant Bomb Bloodborne Community Group - Get the Password to Join the Group Over HERE!
- Giant Bomb Community Game Jam - Starting NOW - You Still Have Time to Join the Effort Over HERE!
- Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run Royal Rumble - NOW WITH MATT RORIE - Learn How You Can Join the Madness and Raise Money for Charity Over HERE!
The community is just buzzing about Bloodborne and Pillars of Eternity this week and luckily for many users we have some nicely done wiki pages for both of them. Also, a very special thanks is in store for @bobafettjm for doing the research to figure out what Agent Alice was about last week.
Best of Blogs
MeesterO has been playing Final Fantasy XIV for a year and a half now, and has two massive and well written blogs not only detailing his thoughts about the game, but also an explanation as to what keeps bringing him back. Marokai on the other hand got nostalgic for Front Mission 4 which he not only enjoys playing today, but defends as being the "last true Front Mission" in North America. While they oftentimes get a bad rap kyle_is_1derful details his long and overall enjoyable relationship with sports based video games. TurboMan is back with avengance this week with a new and always entertaining edition to his "Best of Giant Bomb" video series. Meanwhile thatpinguino has another Deep Look, but with this edition breaks-down how you can quickly beat all of the bosses from Beatrix 1 to Beatrix 2 in FFIX. Speaking of Final Fantasy games GrantHeaslip continues with his retrospective of FFXIII with a detailed look at how the game sets up the Pulse Verge. Sweep has some pointers on how to beat The Last of Us under the "Grounded" difficulty setting. Mento joined the rest of the community in playing Pillars of Eternity, but went the whole mile in writing a blog about his first impressions of the game. Mento also played the parricide heavy visual novel Long Live the Queen as part of his long running Comic Commish blog series. bobafettjm is happy to discuss all of the good work that he has done on the Giant Bomb wiki this week, and always welcomes you to join him. TheAcidSkull stands by his claim that The Assignment is the best example of DLC he has ever played on his review blog. Tarfuin extrapolates on why he enjoyed Ori and the Blind Forest despite having some issues with how it controlled. Finally MooseyMcMan played catchup with a myriad of PlayStation Plus games this week, and discusses each game in great detail.
- Living the Fantasy: A Year and a Half of A Realm Reborn Part 2.1 (By: @meestero)
- Living the Fantasy: A Retrospective of a Year and a Half of A Realm Reborn (By: @meestero)
- Revisiting the Last True Front Mission that North America was Blessed With (By: @marokai)
- My Other Passion: Sports (By: @kyle_is_1derful)
- Best of Giant Bomb 75 (By: @turboman)
- Grounded and Grounded NG+ [Spoilers] (By: @sweep)
- Revisiting FFXIII #005 – Everyone to the Bad Place! (By: @grantheaslip)
- So I Just Played: Ori and the Blind Forest (by: @tarfuin)
- Pillars of Eternity: First Impressions (By: @mento)
- The Comic Commish: Long Live the Queen (By: @mento)
- The Evil Within DLC - The Assignment Review (By: @theacidskull)
- Weekly Wiki Update Sunday, March 22, 2015 (By: @bobafettjm)
- Deep Look: Final Fantasy IX- Speed Run Tips: Beatrix To Beatrix (By: @thatpinguino)
- PlayStation Plus Catch Up: March 2015 (By: @mooseymcman)
In terms of the forums everyone is welcomed to share tips and tricks that you have discovered while playing Pillars of Eternity and/or Bloodborne. We also have general discussion and impressions sharing threads for both Pillars of Eternity AND Bloodborne. We also have a new Tips and Tricks thread for Helldivers. Another opportunity to learn about new games can be found in a user run "Ask Me Anything" thread by chuugoku for the latest iOS/Android Final Fantasy game. Finally can you think of a really monotonous boss fight that you had to deal with in a game you liked? Well that's the topic of debate for this week's community discussion of the week.
- Pillars of Eternity General Discussion Thread (By: @artisanbreads)
- Pillars of Eternity Starting Class Discussion Thread (By: @mb)
- Bloodborne Tips and Tricks Thread (By: @sackmanjones)
- Bloodborne First Impressions Thread (By: @fredchuckdave)
- Bloodborne (Best) Weapon Discussion Thread (By: @nophilip)
- Helldivers Tips and Tricks Thread (By: @giantstalker)
- Long-Winded Monotonous Boss Fights in Games You Like (By: @hypnotoadbrwowrowrow)
- Ask Me Anything about FF Record Keeper! (By: @chuugoku)
ATD88 continues his theme of examining the Final Fantasy franchise, but this week he looks at the games in the series that really made the effort to break the standard JRPG mold. Doppelgamer on the other hand looked at the collection of games that he owns but has yet to play and added them to his "Hall of Shame" list. Finally Eder reveals his longstanding love for League of Legends with a list of his ten favorite champions in the game.
- Final Fantasy: When The Series Went Off The Beaten Path (By: @atd88)
- Hall of Shame (By: @doppelgamer)
- Top 10 Favorite League of Legends Champions (By: @eder)
User User Reviews
- @wemibelec90's review of Tales of Xillia 2
- @mento's review of Weapon Shop de Omasse
- @geekcomplex's review of Resident Evil: Revelations 2 Episode 4
- @vert_vermillion's review of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
- @dinoracha's review of Lisa
- @jaypb08's review of Cities: Skylines
Author's Note: Do YOU want YOUR blog, review, list, or forum topic on the next Community Spotlight? Then just send me a PM with a link to your content and I'll promote it to the best of my abilities!