Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight, and I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host this week. Well it appears that we have all survived the glorious return of the Big Live Live Show Live! If you have any thoughts about the event that you still want to share head on over to our official discussion thread for the event here. A special thanks goes out to all of the users that watched the stream and maintained civil and appropriate conduct throughout the event. Also check out the heartwarming video that one Giant Bomb user made for their girlfriend while attending the BLLSL after-party. In terms of the state of the site the engineers are working on fixing issues with attaching threads to wiki specific pages. Finally Mr. @rorie wants any users that have been getting bum expiration dates for premium subscriptions on PayPal to drop a comment over here.
Clips of the Week
We have a record breaking FOUR videos this week! The first is a teaser trailer from @wallofbricks for Metal Gear Scanlon 4. Next we have a Metal Gear Scanlon 2 "super-cut," from @viper. After that we have the latest episode of @turboman's "Best of Giant Bomb" video series, and this episode is all about the best moments from Metal Gear Scanlon 3. Finally we have a video from FallingDesk that animates Jeff's hilarious "I play every game to the max" Bombcast moment.
The Giant Bomb Weekly Gallery
- We have @fobwashed to thank for the awesome Selfie Fatality animated .gif from Mortal Kombat X this week. @cosmicbacon has already created a plethora of artwork related to the BLLSL, and if you want to see all of what he has done check out the "Join the Discussion" section. Finally spacedongle on Tumblr envisioned Dan as a character from the Persona series.
- Rocket League PS4 Beta Hookup Thread - Discuss and Play the Beta With Fellow Users By Heading Over Here!
Best of Blogs
- New to Premium? What to Start Watching! (By: @nightriff) - Nightriff has completed the insurmountable task of creating a comprehensive premium video recommendation guide for new subscribers. Check it out and help him improve it right here!
- Twine Dev Blog 1 (By: @lucien_lachance) - Lucien_Lachance is committed to using Twine to develop and program his very own game. Check out the first update in regards to his progress right here.
- Why I Feel as a Source Engine Modder Allowing Monetization of Mods is a Good Idea (By: @wazanator) - Wazanator is a dedicated Source Engine modder and used his blog to defend Valve's decision to allow for the monetization of mods, and challenges the notion that this decision will hurt the modding diversity.
- My Take on the Steam Workshop News (By: @andylonn) - AndyLonn shares his take on Steam's monetized mod system from the perspective of someone who has a lot of history of using and playing with mods.
- Things Dark Souls II: SotFS is Teaching Me... (By: @notnert427) - notnert427 has learned a lot about himself while playing Dark Souls II...most notably that he is "terrible." Read all about how the game made him realize this on his latest blog
- Let’s Move Beyond The Idea That Games Are For Nerds (By: @thatpinguino) - thatpinguino takes on the notion that enjoying video games is a part of "nerd" culture on his latest blog, and you should read why the term makes him so angry.
- The Comic Commish: Luftrausers (By: @mento) - A new month means that Mento has a new edition of his Comic Commish blog series, and this episode is about how Luftrausers manages to have all the parts of a game that he would normally hate, but in this case does not.
- PS+ Catch Up, More Bloodborne, and Mario Kart 8 DLC!! (By: @mooseymcman) - MooseyMcMan got a Platinum in Bloodborne, and played a myriad of other games ranging from Sherlock Holmes to Mario Kart 8 last week.
- R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 Gives Me What I Need (By: @grantheaslip) - GrantHeaslip didn't just enjoy replaying Ridge Racer 4, but the game reminded him that he has always cared about the racing genre.
- Combo Breaker (May 22-24 - Live from Chicago!) Preview! PLUS Ultimate Fight Final Fantasy XIV, New T7 Character & More! (By: @flstyle) - FLStyle has a wonderfully detailed FGC news update and event itinerary for Combo Breaker in Chicago.
- Pathologic Day 3: Backed Into a Corner (By: @ford_dent) - Ford_Dent hesitantly restarted his effort to get through Pathologic, and you can read why he had to restart his playthrough all over again from scratch.
- Rhianna Pratchett's Ghost Master Review (By: @kewlsnake) - Kewlsnake saves a piece of gaming journalism history by relocating a long "lost" review by Rhianna Pratchett. Read all about why he saved this review on his blog.
- The Success and Failure of Mortal Kombat Characters (By: @atd88) - ATD88 has taken the odd task of compiling the stats of every Mortal Kombat character and tracking all of their appearances. Discover which characters have succeeded and failed on his blog.
Join the Discussion
- Mount Your Duders! (Illustration)(By: @unclejohn0525) - UncleJohn0525 is the user to thank for the wonderful Giant Bomb x Mount Your Friends banner this week! Check out this post to see his early drafts of the banner.
- The Big Live Live Show Come With Me as I Draw It (By: @cosmicbacon) - CosmicBacon is the user to thank for most of the BLLSL 2015 artwork from the gallery. Please join the rest of the community in thanking him for a job well done.
- Mortal Kombat X Favorite New Characters Discussion Thread and Poll (By: @nekusakuraba) - Of the characters introduced in Mortal Kombat X which character have you enjoyed the most? Answer this question and vote on our poll right here.
- DiRT Rally Discussion Thread (By: @chaser324) - DiRT Rally rather sneakily released on Steam last week, and if you managed to notice this feel free to discuss the game with other users here.
- Project CARS Discussion Thread (By: @t_havok) - Join the rest of the community in discussing and sharing your experiences with Project CARS right here.
- Metal Gear Scanlon 4 Teaser Trailer(By: @wallofbricks) - Our first clip of the week came from WallOfBricks, and you can thank thank him for his hard work here.
- My Top Ten Games of 2000 (By: @thesilentgod) - The SilentGod has attempted to boil down all of the games released in 2000 to the ten best, at least in his books, on this list.
- Games of Video in the Year 1992 CE (By: @brodehouse) - 1992 was a seminal year in gaming and Brodehouse has taken the task of annotating the biggest and most important games of that year on this list.
- Future Sports & Fictional Games (By: @kablammo) - Kablamo wants YOUR help in making a list of every single example of a future sport, or fictional sporting event/game in video games.
- Project CARS - Project CARS is the big next generation car simulation coming out this week, and you can rest assured that our wiki page details everything that you can find in the game.
Useful User Reviews
- @mento shares why Pillars of Eternity scratches the exact itch that he wanted it to scratch on his review.
- @freezyfrog writes on why Aero Porter, a Level-5 developed airport luggage simulator, just wasn't his cup of tea.
- @freezyfrog wrote a review for God of War: Ghost of Sparta explaining why it is one of the few portable God of War games worthy of bearing that name.
- @theacidskull's review of Mortal Kombat X breaks down why it's the kind of gory celebrations of violence that he can get behind.
- @jaypb08's review of Hotline Miami details why he thinks it is one of the more successful video game homages to films and filmmaking.