Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight. As always, I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host. With the exception of a one "John Vignocchi," we have all survived an arresting slew of announcements and game demos of E3 2015. This week I will be providing you with a brief summary of any E3 related discussions in case you missed them on top of the standard Community Spotlight format.
First, I would like to thank all of the users that participated in the E3 2015 Community Banner contest. The weekly gallery will showcase the winners, but still check out the thread hosting the contest to see the other wonderful works that users submitted for the competition.
Another big thank you is in store for all of the engineers and video techs that worked tirelessly to keep the live chat and stream running. Yes, there may have been some hiccups but it was a monumental task to have a fully functioning chat with a functioning live stream hosting anywhere between two to five thousand users simultaneously.
Of course, please give a big hearty to @marino for working around the clock to get as many game trailers and teasers from E3 posted on the site. It was not an easy task to sift through all of the trailers and promotional videos and determine which were worth hosting on the site, but he managed to do it. Oh and one more thing, don't forget to tip your moderators.
E3 Conference Discussion Thread
E3 2015 may be over but you should still feel welcome to discuss your final impressions about all of the major press conferences hosted during the event. Which conferences hit it out of the park this year, and which conferences fell flat on their faces? Also feel free to discuss any information pertaining to the companies and their later announcements beyond the press conferences:
- The Official BETHESDA Thread
- The Official MICROSOFT Thread
- The Official ELECTRONIC ARTS Thread
- The Official UBISOFT Thread
- The Official SONY Thread
- The Official NINTENDO Thread
- The Official SQUARE ENIX Thread
- The Official PC GAMING SHOW Thread
Clip(s) of the Week
Alright so we have two important videos about the staff's adventures leading up to and during E3 that you cannot find on the site, and another that features complete nonsense. The first video comes from the Giant Bomb Unarchived YouTube account and it has archived Jeff's, Dan's, and Danny's car ride to Los Angeles onto one convenient nine hour video. Not just that but this archive includes Dan's Periscopes during the car ride as well. Check it out whenever you have a spare nine hours to burn. Speaking of "burning," the second video features Jeff doing a "Hot Pepper Review" of Microsoft's Hololense demo at E3. For those that are wondering Jeff ate a habañero pepper for the purposes of his review. Then finally have Dan competing in a "for funzies" Super Smash Bros. competition hosted by ShowDown. Spoilers: He got his booty kicked.
The Giant Bomb Weekly Gallery
As mentioned earlier the gallery this week is a showcase of the winning E3 2015 Community Banner Contest. We have @zzombie13 to thank for the Bethesda Banner, @pickassoreborn for the Microsoft Banner, @feckhead for the EA Banner, @casty for the Ubisoft Banner, @indiana for the Sony Banner, @gnomeonfire for the Nintendo Banner, @hashy for the PC Gamer Banner, and @gmm for the Square Enix Banner.
Best of Blogs
- E3 2015: Bethesda, E3 2015: Microsoft, E3 2015: EA, E3 2015: Ubisoft, & E3 2015: Nintendo (By: @gamer_152) - Giant Bomb moderator Gamer_152 took the time to share his thoughts on ever single one of the press conferences from E3 2015. Check out all of his blogs and don't be afraid to join him in discussing the conferences in great detail.
- The Wasteland Wanderer: Entry 1 (By: @danniku) - Danniku has started a travelogue blog series featuring none other than Fallout 3 in preparation for Fallout 4. See how the first part of the adventures went over here
- How do you Feel About Gears 4's Reduced Campaign Player Count From 4 Back to 2?(By: @yummylee) - Yummylee poses this question to you based off of the brief gameplay demo for Gears 4 during Microsoft's E3 Press Conference. However, he discusses why the concept would actually have some added benefits for the game and players.
- MBF's Retraux-Spective - Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (Part 5) - Now with GIFs! (By: @misterbananafoam) - MisterBananaFoam has taken a long break from his retrospective of the very first Jak and Daxter game, but he is back and with animated .GIFs this time! Read all about the downright excruciating time he had with the minecart and snow levels last week.
- Deep Look: Psychonauts- Lessons In Piggybacking (By: @thatpinguino) - thatpinguino's latest Deep Look examines the depiction of psychology and philosophy in Psychonauts and how the game uses these concepts to set the mood and tone throughout the game.
- The O's Take Over Junior Sports Neighborhood! (By: @aorey) - aorey is a die hard Baltimore Orioles, and played Backyard Baseball 2003 in hope of finally seeing them win the World Series. Read all about his his efforts bore fruit or were a complete folly.
- Words ... Can Kill(By: @n7) - N7 shares why he's melancholic but also excited for MGS V: The Phantom Pain on his blog breaking down the interesting facts that he was able to gleam from the E3 trailer.
- Let's You and Me Fight: Shadoloo Shadow Labs (By: @ford_dent) - How is a fighting game novice like Ford_Dent using Shadow Lab to improve his online performance? Well check out his latest blog to find out!
- Mento's Alternative to E3 2015: Day 0, Mento's Alternative to E3 2015: Day 1, Mento's Alternative to E3 2015: Day 2, & Mento's Alternative to E3 2015: Day 3 (By: @mento) - Rather than look to the future Mento decided to step backwards and play a smattering of Nintendo 64 games as E3 was raging. Read all about his adventures with Chameleon Twist, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Space Station Silicon Valley, and Donkey Kong 64.
- Playing My First Final Fantasy Game - Parts 1-8: Getting Use to Final Fantasy VIII (By: @zombiepie) - Giant Bomb moderator ZombiePie decided to start his long journey in completing his very first Final Fantasy game. This week read all about why he picked Final Fantasy VIII and how the first hour of the game treated him. Hint: he still has no idea how to junction.
Join the Discussion
- Best Indie Game(s) You've Seen at E3 2015 [Poll Included] (By: @giant_gamer) - Which smaller indie games caught your attention as much as the bigger budget games during E3? Talk all about which games were the little engines that could from E3 2015 over here.
- New IP's Revealed at E3 2015 That you are Most Looking Forward to? (By: @mocbucket62) - There were a handful of new games that were revealed during E3 this year. Vote and discuss which new IPs you are most interested in seeing and playing right here.
- What are you MOST Excited for in Fallout 4? (By: @v6c_) - Fallout 4 has taken the top spot for a lot of people's "Best of E3 2015" award. If you are one of those people, or are just interested in the game in general, share what you are most excited to experience in person when the game comes out on this thread.
- Show Your Fallout Shelter -- and Tips! (By: @citizenkane) - Speaking of Fallout 4 how many of you decided to give Fallout Shelter a shot? Well share how your shelter has been doing, and feel free to share any tips that you may have figured out about the game here.
- Dark Souls III Discussion Thread (By: @raspharus) - With the release of Bloodborne and other games emulating its gameplay as well as sense of style what do you think the future and prognosis looks like for Dark Souls III? Share what you think needs to change, as well as what you think should stay the same on this discussion thread.
- Do you Actually Want to Play the Remake? [Poll Included] (By: @l33t_haxor) - Many users and video game enthusiasts expressed excitement at the announcement of the Final Fantasy VII Remake. So on this thread and poll indicate if you plan on purchasing the remake and share why as well.
- Xbox One Preview Program Community Thread (By: @xrayzwei) - Are you one of the lucky Xbox One owners that are already on the Xbox One Preview Program? Well talk about backwards compatibility as well as other Preview Program benefits with other Giant bomb users that happen to be members right here!
- What do you Think About Periscope? (By: @fobwashed) - The staff have been doing some interesting things with Periscope lately, but what do you think about the application in general? Do you have any ideas how the application could benefit Giant Bomb in its future?
- Do you Have an SLI or Crossfire Multi-GPU setup in your PC? (By: @mb) - Resident PC expert and Giant Bomb moderator, MB wants to know if any of you are just as crazy as he is about making PCs and have a multi-GPU set up in your PC. Try not to look directly into his eyes as you answer the question.
- My Top Ten Games of 2002 (By: @thesilentgod) - TheSilentGod considers 2002 to be one of the greatest years in gaming. See why on his top ten list for the year here.
- When the Second Game is the Best Part of a Series (By: @bottleknight) - The second game in a series is oftentimes a refinement of the previous one, and as a result sequels do have the chance of being better than their predecessors. While it is rare BottleKnight has gone ahead and created a list of sequels that he thinks are better than the original entry in a franchise.
- Street Fighter 5 Character Wishlist (By: @jacksukeru) - Street Fighter V is one of JackSukeru's most anticipated games of the year. The only thing that could make him more excited is if some of the characters on this wishlist were announced to be playable.
- Long Time No See | E3 2015 (By: @ptys) - Finally we reach the E3 2015 lists. The first comes from ptys and the second coming from Servantey. Feel free to join them by taking the time to annoatate the games from E3 that impressed you the most.
- E3 2015 Stuff that I am Hyped For (By: @servantey)
- Persona 4: Dancing All Night - It was the game that graced press badges this year at E3 2015, and thanks to a huge influx of information about the game a new wave of wiki edits have greatly improved our wiki page for Persona 4: Dancing All Night as you can hopefully see now!
- Earthbound Beginnings - Mother 1 is being translated and released in North America under the title of Earthbound Beginnings. As a result we have renamed the Mother 1 page to Earthbound Beginnings to reflect this. Beyond that check out our AWESOME wiki page for Earthbound Beginnings to discover its iconic sense of wackiness.
Useful User Reviews
- @freezyfrog started out the Summer movie onslaught by playing a video game adaptation of a mostly forgotten Summer blockbuster, that being Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie. Read all about how the game holds up on the review.
- @freezyfrog wishes that he had never spent money on Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, and you can read why he regrets having his nostalgia dictate his money here.