Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff
Define the word
Define the word "cool."

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, ZombiePie, am once again honored to be your respite from the dreaded "Summer Game Drought."

What a glorious world we live in.
What a glorious world we live in.

Giant Bomb Galleria

I Fucked At Clenchies(By: @fobwashed)

In case you missed it, or are not a subscriber, things happened during the 6/30/2017 GBE Megadate which featured Mary Kish as a guest. This poster by Fobwashed references something that happened during that livestream. If you haven't seen it, be prepared for one of Giant Bomb's most glorious train wrecks.

No Caption Provided

Giant Bomb Logo (By: Isaac_Dawley)

Over on Twitter, Isaac_Dawley published a fun rendition of the Giant Bomb logo after plans for a staff poster fell through. It's still pretty cool nonetheless.

This Is.... (By: @fobwashed)

Goddammit Steve....

Community Activities

GOLF EVERYBODY! (Not to be confused with Everybody's Golf)
GOLF EVERYBODY! (Not to be confused with Everybody's Golf)

The Golf Club 2 Giant Bomb Society Central For All Platforms! + Discord (By: @meatsofevil)

Check out our centralized community thread for The Golf Club 2 over here if you want to hook up with fellow Giant Bomb users in a sporting game of ball chess.

Best Of Blog

GrizzlyButts's extensive write-up about Star Ocean 5 is a must read this week.
GrizzlyButts's extensive write-up about Star Ocean 5 is a must read this week.

Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness, tri-Ace, And How 'retro' Cannot Be An Excuse For Creative Failures (By: @grizzlybutts)

GrizzlyButts tinkered with Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, and extensively wrote why he thinks it is an "incomplete" entry in the Star Ocean franchise.

My Favorite E3 2017 Trailers Part 1& And The Award Goes To... (By: @themist997)

Whether it be big titles from major companies or surprise indie debuts, TheMist997 highlights his favorite trailers from E3 2017. TheMist997 also wrote about David OReilly's Everything winning an award at the Vienna Independent Shorts film festival.

Who didn't win an award?
Who didn't win an award?

First Thoughts: The Flame in the Flood& Return to Orcs Must Die! Unchained (By: @mikelemmer)

MikeLemmer shares his summative impressions of The Flame in the Flood and how its attempts to improve the roguelike format detracts from the experience. Earlier this week MikeLemmer returned to Orcs Must Die! Unchained and wrote how the new Chaos Trials address his primary complaints about the game.

Everything About Tales of Symphonia - Part II: The Worries And Wisdom of Raine Sage (By: @generic_username)

Generic_username continues his retrospective on Tales of Symphonia, and this episode extrapolates why he fell in love with Raine.

"Priorities"

God Of War: Chains Of Olympus Is Still A Fine Game, But 9 Years After Release It Feels Utterly Inessential (By: @bigsocrates)

BigSocrates recently played God of War: Chains of Olympus, and wrote a blog on how it is a solid, but inessential entry in the God of War franchise.

All-New Saturday Summaries 2017-07-01 (By: @mento)

Mento's had a big week: as well as discussing Nightshade for PS2, the Indie game Wuppo, adding more to his Trailer Blazer: E3 2017 list and (eventually) writing his early impressions of Tales of Zestiria, he also accomplished a long-term project for the Giant Bomb Wiki related to the SNES.

Join The Discussion

Crash is back? Crash's back.
Crash is back? Crash's back.

What's The Deal With 2D Video Game Image Scaling? (By: @alistercat)

When you play old 8-bit or 16-bit games do you stretch the outputted image to fit modern monitors? What about "smoothing?" Vote and discuss your preference over here!

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy Impressions Sharing Thread (By: @glots)

Have you played the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy? If so, join our community discussion about the repackaging and its sudden memetic reputation.

Is Playing A Series In Order Overrated? (By: @liquiddragon)

Is playing a video game series/franchise in order a must? Share if you think playing games out of order is a necessity or an abomination.

The Big Show approves of Destiny 2.
The Big Show approves of Destiny 2.

Have Any Games With Depressing Atmosphere Turned You Off? (By: @giantlennonx_x)

Have you ever avoided a game with a depressing setting or story? List the games you took a hard pass on because you were afraid they would rain on your parade.

To The People That Invested Tons Of Hours Into Destiny 1: Are You Pissed Almost Nothing Carries Over? (By: @liquiddragon)

Share your two cents' worth on our community discussion debating content not carrying over from Destiny to Destiny 2. Is it a necessary evil, or an insult to long-time fans of the first game?

How Often Do You Stop Playing A Game Because It Is Difficult? (By: @bigsocrates)

Not all video game kids are created the same.
Not all video game kids are created the same.

How often do you stop playing a game because it is difficult? It goes without saying we are all guilty of swearing while playing games, but what about walking away from a game entirely?

Have You Ever "Out Grown" A Type Of Game, Because It Focused On Characters Younger Than You? (By: @clagnaught)

Have you ever struggled to get invested in a game because it featured characters younger than you? Articulate the possible disconnect you have with child protagonists, and hopefully you are better than Mr. Rorie about accepting child characters.

Lovable Lists

More E3 trailer fun is to be had this week on Mento's list!
More E3 trailer fun is to be had this week on Mento's list!

Trailer Blazer: E3 2017(By: @mento)

It may be a repeat, but given the amount of new content he has added, I'll make an exemption. Mento updated Trailer Blazer list, and it now includes 110 games with E3 2017 trailers.

Useful User Reviews

The Nintendo Switch user game reviews are starting to come through.
The Nintendo Switch user game reviews are starting to come through.

Wonderful Wikis

After years of hard work, Mento has done it. The Giant Bomb Wiki has full pages for every single game to be released for the SNES/Super Famicom. That's almost 1,770 wiki pages! In honor of his hard work I am allowing him to select a few of his favorite pages:

• Rudra no Hihou: A late Squaresoft RPG for the system, with a really cool, novel magic system that let you input words to create spells. Only recently been fan translated, I've been working on raising its profile.
  • American Battle Dome: I spent way too long writing about this silly multiplayer competitive pinball game. I'd like for GBWest to try it out some day, since it combines Jeff's loves of pinball, Atari's Warlords and crazy Japanese games.
  • Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shogun Magginesu: Part of why I enjoyed doing all this wiki stuff was because of the games I kept discovering. I knew there had been other SNES Legend of Mystical Ninja games that never saw localization, but I didn't know just how many or how crazy they got. The second SNES game introduced Goemon's giant attack robot friend Impact, among other things. (I'm 100% behind Ben's efforts to get a Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon feature going.)
  • Ranma 1/2 : Chougi Ranbu Hen: This one goes out to Jason, who was an awesome enough duder to give me a Twitter shout out for this whole SNES wiki business. This is the (marginally) superior SNES Ranma 1/2 fighter game, if Ranking of Fighters ever wanted to give that anime franchise another shot.
  • Jelly Boy: Ending on a sentimental note. Jelly Boy is a PAL-exclusive platformer and I believe the first ever SNES page I created. Not to be confused with Smart Ball (which was called Jelly Boy in Japan), Jelly Boy had this neat shapeshifting mechanic that let you turn into all sorts of things to complete each of its colorful levels.
BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

It's so weird to see my writings here, but I love it. Thanks Marino for highlighting my work.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

Sorry it's been so long between this post and my last one - classes have been kind of unmanageable lately. I've only got a few more weeks left, which is super stressful since I'm playing catch-up right now, but if I pull it all together I should be able to write more consistently again for a while.

Thanks again for the feature. Makes me feel like my time is actually being put to good use.

Jimmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

daltimond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know what Clenchies is...

Avatar image for reasonablesteve
reasonablesteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daltimond: Then you should run, not walk, to the nearest screen and watch yesterday's GBEast Megadate. It's.... it's a thing.

thetafox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daltimond: Same here, I feel like everyone gets it but us or something.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who frequently continues something beginning with "This is..." in that way in my head.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There should be a brief mention of arrow pointing down in that giant bomb history thing. The true birth of it all.

Also, no sea serpent :(

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That reddit thread is great. Going to go through the videos i missed when i joined after the CBS acquisition.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Undeadpool

I would buy a CLENCHIES t-shirt...

Probably not one with the word "fuck" on it, but just a clean version of that shirt? 100% buy.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

I dont know what Clenchies is...

Check out the GBEast Playdate from this week. Special Guest: Mary Kish.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I want a Goddammit Steve... shirt

Clenchmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Clenchies? I don't recall approving this.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This was my idea for a design. The trapeze woman evoked "clenching" in my mind.

I mocked it up at Customink.com

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had two other designs, but that were merely okay. I don't know, what do people think?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided