Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight, as always I am your host. Jeff is away on vacation, but that doesn't change the fact that he celebrated his 39th birthday this week. However, many of you have shown a great deal of concern in regards to the recent GameSpot layoffs. Please do use that link and comment on the discussion thread wishing all of those that have been laid off the best in their future endeavors. However, rest assured that this news has no impact on the current makeup of Giant Bomb, but this does not give you permission to treat those that have lost their jobs disrespectfully on the forums. Now moving onto to something with a bit of levity Vinny has a diagram depicting how the video capture and conversion process works at Giant Bomb East. Also exciting is the fact that we have added three new moderators on the site! If you have not done so already please welcome @jadegl, @finaldasa, and @mooseymcman to the Giant Bomb Moderation Team over here! With that let's get on with the latest edition of the Community Spotlight!
Clip(s) of the Week
As always special thanks go to @turboman for making another great edition of his "Best of Giant Bomb," video series. This one features cricket and drive clubs!
Our Community Extra Life effort for 2014 has officially started! Help raise money for kids by clicking the link below!
- Extra Life 2014 Giant Bomb Team - Play Games, Heal Kids - Join the Effort Over Here!
Some great recent work has been done on the Crypt of the NecroDance and Link wiki pages thanks to @northsarge and @hailinel respectively. Finally we need more examples of "Three-Word Game Title with Conjunction or Preposition," for our concept page.
Best of Blogs
The top blog of this week comes from IcyEyes who talks about the origins and his motivations behind creating "Giant Bomb Jammers," as seen on the UPF from two weeks ago. noahtheboa999 is starting a new blog series chronicling his effort to understand the Kirby game franchise. A new month means that BlackLagoon has an easy to read annotation of all of the games coming out for the PlayStation Vita. thatpinguino keeps up his multi-blog streak with two blogs this week. The first discusses his favorite game concepts and mechanics, whereas the second provides a "deepish" look on the class system for Penny Arcade Adventures 3. Mento got manga fever and he theorizes which games he suspects drew from Berserk as an inspiration. ArbitraryWater dabbled with new and old games this week ranging from The Wolf Among Us and Crash Bandicoot. Video_Game_King is all about music and owls this week with a blog detailing his thoughts on Sequence and Project Horned Owl. Pabba lampoons Dan's food ignorance with two highly entertaining web comics. ChampInMaking is still working to convince the community that KOTOR 2 is better than KOTOR 1, whereas Marokai reminisces on Summoner for the PS2 and details how it is a product of its time. MooseyMcMan theorizes why he thinks he will be putting in 100+ hours into Destiny, and GrantHeaslip defends Killer is Dead as a fine Suda51 joint. EpicSteve passionately explains why Valiant Hearts features one of the most respectful depictions of war. FinalDasa is all about the big movies of August, and BisonHero mulls over his problem with game reviewers playing games on the default difficulty. Sarumarine extrapolates on his time with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and lebbmx blogs about why the next Fallout is the game he most wants to see on the next generation of consoles.
- Games of Future Past: Giant Bomb Jammers (By: @icyeyes)
- A Very Kirby Journey: Part 1 (By: @noahtheboa999)
- August Vita Lineup and Upcoming Titles (By: @blacklagoon)
- ThatPinguino + The Concepts (By: @thatpinguino)
- Deepish Look: Penny Arcade Adventures 3- Classes (By: @thatpinguino)
- Going Berserk (By: @mento)
- Exciting Modern/Relevant Video Games and Other Wonderful Uses of Time and Money (By: @arbitrarywater)
- The Owls Command Me to Dance (By: @video_game_king)
- Dan Ryckert Food Comics (By: @pabba)
- KOTOR 1 v. KOTOR 2 the Good, the Bad and the Kreia [Part 2] (By: @champinmaking)
- Summoner: Of an Era, Though a Not Altogether A Good One (By: @marokai)
- Destined for Obsession (By: @mooseymcman)
- Killer is Dead: Suda51 Delivers (By: @grantheaslip)
- Valiant Hearts is the Most Respectful War Game, Ever (By: @epicsteve)
- August Movie Preview! (By: @finaldasa)
- How Much Easier Than Mega Man is Shovel Knight Really? (By: @bisonhero)
- Recently Played: Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze (By: @sarumarine)
- The Fallout Engine (By: @leebmx)
As already mentioned please join the community in wishing Jeff a happy birthday and welcoming the new mods. Also discuss Microsoft Bingo if you have given it a shot and post pictures of the Destiny Beta if you have been playing it. Finally Fobwashed is hosting his own "Ask Me Anything" for the Oculus Rift, and helvetica made a chocolate dipped cherry in the shape of the Giant Bomb logo.
- Happy Birthday Jeff Gerstmann 2014 (By: @kubus345)
- New Mods Welcome Thread (By: @rorie)
- Destiny Screenshot Sharing Thread (By: @xtrafries)
- Got an Oculus Rift Dev Kit 2. Ask Me Anything (By: @fobwashed)
- Chocolate Cherry Giant Bomb (By: @helvetica)
- Microsoft Bingo Discussion Thread (By: @bigjeffrey)
Our list of the week comes from mod mracoon who has a list of games he thinks have great names, and yes he is taking suggestions.