The Community Spotlight 2019.10.05

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, ZombiePie, am once again honored to be your host this week as we look back at the best and brightest community-created works! Much like last week, we have a smattering of AWESOME user-created works of art worth checking out and supporting. Give them a look and don't forget to support artists however you can! Additionally, we have a surprising amount of user review worth checking out as well as discussion threads about gaming and non-gaming related topics. Finally, it is IMPERATIVE you WATCH THE TWEET FROM SHANE O'BRIEN! They went ahead and made a deepfake merging the Giant Beastcast members with Michael Bay's seminal film, The Rock. Again, it is the best thing you will likely watch all week! With that out of the way, let's jump into the site-related housekeeping.

Giant Bomb Galleria

Giant Bomb Themed PlayStation 4 Pro (By: @fobwashed)

Fobwashed had fun playing around with the idea of a Limited Edition Giant Bomb themed PlayStation 4. Check it out and thank them for their hard work using the link above!

Jeff Stranded Mock PS4 Controller (By: @Goon917)

Speaking of fun community-created mock PS4 designs, over on Twitter, Goon917 made this hilarious Death Stranding x Jeff PS4 controller.

No Caption Provided

Giant Bomb X Destiny (By: @archnite)

Giant Bomb user archnite recently graduated art school and put some of their skills to the test by making two mock Destiny guns themed to Giant Bomb. If you are interested to read how they made these designs, use the link because they provide a thorough rundown on how it was made.

Daniel J. Ryckert - Jury Duty (By: @jea_rum)

This week, when jea_rum heard of Dan going to jury duty, they couldn't help but imagine the scenario like a 1980s situational comedy film. As such, they made this hilarious movie poster.

No Caption Provided

Clips Of The Week

Solid Scanlon Wins!! (By: saltysuplex)

Fun fact, if you haven't been keeping up with SuplexSalty's Fire Pro simulations, Drew just beat Bruiser Brody for the championship belt of their internet gaming wrestling promotion.

Giant Bomb Activities

No Caption Provided

Call of Duty: Mobile Community Guild Planning Thread (By: @allgrinzz)

Calling all Giant Bomb users! Are any of you interested in starting a community clan for Call of Duty: Mobile? If you are, use the link above to join and help out the community effort!

Community Extra-Life 2019 Master Thread (By: @matt)

Giant Bomb's community Extra Life charity event is all set to start on November 2nd! This marks the ninth year of Giant Bomb's participation in Extra Life and the team fundraising goal is currently at $250,000 USD! If you are able to join the team, that would be great, but don't forget to donate and spread the word!

Tweets Of The Week

Best Of Blogs

Marino's guide on how to add a new release to the wiki is a MUST READ even if you have no interest in the wiki.
Marino's guide on how to add a new release to the wiki is a MUST READ even if you have no interest in the wiki.

Wiki Style Guide: How To Properly Add A Game's Release Data (By: @marino)

Calling anyone who plans to add information to Giant Bomb's database, INCLUDING INDIE GAME DEVELOPERS! Here's a guide on how to BEST add release data to a game page!

The World Shrinks: On Control and Twin Peaks (By: @alistercat)

Giant Bomb user AlisterCat briefly comments on Remedy Entertainment's Control and how it improves upon the format laid by Twin Peaks and how its twists and turns add to the game's brewing sense of mystery without feeling inscrutable.

Some Thoughts On Magic The Gathering: Arena (By: @rorie)

Mr. Rorie ended up publishing a blog detailing their final impressions of Magic: The Gathering Arena as a long-time Magic fan! Give it a read and learn all about the good and bad of the game!

Bucketlog September: Kaeru no tame ni Kane wa Naru +

Indie Game of the Week 140: Unbox: Newbie's Adventure (By: @mento)

Magic is BACK baby!
Magic is BACK baby!

First, Kaeru no tame ni Kane wa Naru (a.k.a. "The Frog For Whom the Bell Tolls") was the subject of Mento's latest "Bucketlog" blog! Give it a read and learn more about the quirky GameBoy game! Second, they played around to Prospect Games's 2016 Indie 3D platformer, Unbox: Newbie's Adventure, for their latest "Indie Game of the Week" blog post! Give it a read and discover why they think it delivers on exactly what it promises.

Looking Back At WayForward (By: @ronindrummer200)

ronindrummer200 uses the release of River City Girls to talk about their relationship with the games of WayForward Technologies, especially Double Dragon Neon.

Join The Discussion

Outside of Square-Enix, Rockstar feels like one of the last AAA developers who holds off on PC ports until years after a console release.
Outside of Square-Enix, Rockstar feels like one of the last AAA developers who holds off on PC ports until years after a console release.

Is Apex Legends Holding Titanfall 3 Back? (By: @humanity)

Here's an interesting discussion topic on the Giant Bomb forums: is Apex Legends hurting or helping the prospect of Titanfall 3 or a new IP from Respawn? Share your two cents' worth with the Giant Bomb community!

Red Dead Redemption II PC Version Announced - Coming November 5 (By: @mikewhy)

Are any of you excited about the recently announced PC port of Red Dead Redemption II? Will the PC port motivate you to buy the game a second time? What do you think took Rockstar so long to make this?

Which Game Would You Recommend To Someone That Largely Ignored the Roguelike Craze? (By: @liquiddragon)

To those who have enjoyed the modern wave of roguelikes, which ones would you recommend to newcomers to the genre? Spelunky, Dead Cells, and Rogue Legacy are our current community suggestions, but what do you think?

Gearbox is in the news for all the wrong reasons? SAY IT AIN'T SO!
Gearbox is in the news for all the wrong reasons? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Series Where You've Beaten Every Mainline Entry? (By: @norm9)

Here's a fun discussion thread on the Giant Bomb forums! Can you think of any video game franchises where you have played every mainline game? What motivates you to seek out and play games in this franchise?

New Accusations (And Lawsuit!) About Gearbox Software Around Duke Nukem 3D's Music (By: @asmo917)

A new lawsuit has hit Gearbox Software LLC, and this time it's about their use of Duke Nukem 3D's music. Get the details and join our community discussion about the issue using the link above.

Borderlands 3 Ending Discussion Thread (By: @dazzhardy)

Have any of you completed Borderlands 3's story? If so, what were your impressions of the game's ending? Did the last act of the game surprise you in a good way, or did you find it disappointing?

Who Is The Best Batman? (By: @scottyhawkeye)

Yesterday ScottyHawkeye asked the Giant Bomb community to discuss and vote for their favorite Batman video game, and now this week they prompt the community to stand by their favorite representative/voice for the caped-crusader across all media.

Our rougelike recommendation thread is a definite read in case you are unfamiliar with the genre.
Our rougelike recommendation thread is a definite read in case you are unfamiliar with the genre.

I Want To Give Back To My Community (By: @sombre)

I know this is a "gaming website" but sometimes it doesn't hurt to include a few off-topic discussion threads, especially when they are about making the world a better place. On this thread, Giant Bomb user Sombre asks for suggestions on how to best give back to their community. Help them out with suggestions and think about what you could do to bring a little happiness to those around you.

Lovable Lists

One of these lists has Smash TV on it. I leave it to you to figure whose it was.
One of these lists has Smash TV on it. I leave it to you to figure whose it was.

Best Games Of 1990 (By: @rooktakespawn)

RookTakesPawn considers the 1990s as the decade when JRPGs, platformers, and adventure games reached their zenith. See why on the list of their favorite games from the 90s!

All My GOTYs (By: @savage)

Savage went through the years they have been playing games, 1985 to present, and named a GOTY for each year! Give it a read using the link!

Useful User Reviews

Wait a minute, they made a video game based on Shakespeare that's
Wait a minute, they made a video game based on Shakespeare that's "good?"
  • @klaxwave uses their review of Ion Fury to discuss how it is an excellent example of a game that strikes a balance between old-school and new-school sensibilities.
  • @jeremyf gave Anodyne 2: Return to Dust a shot, and uses their review of the game to share how it crafts a deeply personal journey everyone should check out!
  • @unclejam23 uses their review of Elsinore to discuss how it takes advantage of the spirit of Shakespeare's Hamlet in the form of a video game.
  • @riostarwind has a new retro video game review! This week, they look at Breath of Fire from Capcom and share if its JRPG mechanics have any staying power in 2019.

Dr_Mel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have not laughed so hard in a while, holy shit

GrayFoxbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the actual fuck. That deepfake is pure gold.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

I need more Navarro/Cage deepfakes and I need them NOW!

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm glad ya'll enjoy the deepfake, I want to make more but honestly they take SO LONG and prevent me from playing games while they are being made (due to GPU requirements), so any future ones will likely take a good deal longer.

The Rock one easily took 160+ hours of nonstop GPU number crunching

BTStreleckis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot more good stuff this week.

Jury Duty is actually from the 90s.

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Thank you so much for the shoutout! Not only is this the first time I've ever written a user review for the site, but it's the first time I've ever written a video game review in general. So this is pretty cool!

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That deep fake sure is something.

Had no idea where Alex started and Nic Cage ended.

archnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited to see so much 3D art this week :) Thanks for the post.

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finstern: Getting a borderlands type aesthetic feel from it weirdly.

Nice job though.